• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Functional pedestrian paths ?

Started by evarburg, July 07, 2018, 09:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evarburg

I just uploaded a relot of Pooty's Santa Monica Promenade on the STEX, with additional paths, and I belatedly thought : I should have made them functional for pedestrians ! They are not pedmalls per se, but as they go with commercial buildings, it would be nice is they really functioned as pedmalls. How can it be done ? Is it with the Transit Enabling tool ? I don't see anything pedestrian, just cars and rail...

mgb204

Whilst you can TE and Path lots for Pedestrians, it's quite complex to make them and the real problem is that no matter what you do, sims will not travel from one TE lot to another. This is a general limitation of TE lots, if you place two together, sims won't be able to switch between them. In fact, before SC4Fix came along, the game would prevent you from even placing them in-game next to each other if the pathing aligned.

You are better off using PedMalls, which can be modified with different textures and props (using T21s). Of course there are only so many Pedmalls, but I'm sure most users would find a couple they weren't using to repurpose for something else. It's really just a texture override in practise, although if using Lot Textures some colour correction is needed. GoFSH can do that for you with a few clicks however.

If you have Paeng's TE'd Sandstone Sidewalks or Grunge Concrete lots, he got around the limitations by TEing only the 1x1 lot in the centre. Then by adding overhanging models (made in the BAT), they could connect by being 3-tiles long. However the caveat in this situation is that those are Road-based and so cars will also use them. I'm not sure how such a thing could be done for Ped-only lots, without using the Pedmalls between the TE'd parts.

evarburg

Darn, that's what I was thinking (although not as technically  :D.) As for tweaking textures, I am not conversant in Gofsh (a bit afraid of it, actually ; but then again, I was afraid of ALL SC4 tools a year ago...). I am going to examine Paeng's lots closer and see if I am encouraged or not. If not... well, those relots of mine will stay as they are. Thank you again, Robyn !

evarburg

er, guys ? I am trying to check paeng's pedmalls in the L.E. to see how he proceeded but I can't even FIND them ; and is it normal that there are THREE exemplars in the .dat when opened in the Reader ?  ()what() ()what() ()what()

Tyberius06

Hi!

I'm using Paeng Pedmalls and those are not lots, they won't appear in the L.E... As I understand, those are overrites for the Japanese NAM Facelift mod. So for using the Paeng Pedmalls you need to have installed the NAM facelift MOD...
What Robin (MGB204) mentioned that's Paengs Industrial Alleys and Paeng's Sandstone Booster which is currently not available anywhere, but I can upload it in the next few day to the STEX since I have Catty-CB's consent to manage and upload Paeng's stuffs from his scrabble box...

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

evarburg

Thanks, Tyberius, I have all that you mentioned (yes, and Paeng Sandstone booster too ; remember that I was on SimpPeg a long time...) But that's not really the point here. I can see that those tweaked pedmalls are way beyond my pay grade and I will desist. After all everything doesn't have to be functional in SC4, right ? A little imagination and a few peeps artfully placed can do wonders. :P