• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

From Windows 8.1 to.... Beyond ?

Started by evarburg, April 18, 2018, 07:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evarburg

I have been told horror stories about Windows 8 (8.1 in fact, but close enough), while doing some updates (actually lots of updates, 76 of them -- I had been lagging behind... --) in presence of a visiting friend who is my Windows tech : many of those updates and applications are not supported anymore, some might become impossible to find and --cherry on the sundae--  for some eye-glazing technical reasons (that I however almost understood here and there), the Windows 8.1 system on my Mac partition (Parallels Desktop) might at some point implode, or explode, at any rate not work anymore, all my SC4 stuff will become invisible to it and I will be utterly and irremediably fracked -- even though I have everything in triplicate on a separate disk or perhaps because of it (uh ?). In short, my friend's advice was to begin hunting for another Windows version. Not that there are many in the landscape. Therefore I am asking  Those in The Know, and those who use it, if Windows 10 is a candidate, how it behaves on a Mac partition and whether it plays nice with SimCity 4 rush hours and all its various bells and whistles  -- night light patch, cheat DLL, and all the tools that I have been so painstakingly learning how to use these last year. I'd like to have some advice or comments from people who are using other Windows iterations. I am told Windows 7 is quite stable but I don't see myself retrofitting from 8.1 to .7 on my partition just now (although it is good to know I could). What about Windows 10 (as it's apparently the only other option...) Remember : I play on a partitioned Mac....

PaPa-J

I like Windows 10, I have found it to be quite stable.  As far as SC4 goes, I use SC4 Deluxe (Digital edition, I downloaded from Amazon) and I have no problems. It has crashed a couple of times but I believe it was due to a plugin I added and since deleted. It has not crashed in quite some time now.  I have found that some of the third party tools that fans have created do not work on Windows 10 but most of them do.

I wish you luck in your endeavor.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

brick_mortimer

Hi,

I had a  similar question the other day and got some great advice.

I got the GOG version of the game (downloaded the file without their own tool) and it plays nice with Win10

DAMN manager, DAT-packer, SC4 Terraformer and ilives Reader work on my new machine.
I did have to download the latest version of the Reader and I always open these 3rd party tools "as administrator".
I don't really use other 3rd party tools, so I can't comment on how well they work with Win10.

Can't help you with the Mac-partition part of your question, sorry
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

Dublin

Hi Evarburg, I too am running SC4 Deluxe (Rush Hour) on a BootCamp partition.On Windows 7 I had few problems others had some tweaking with single core,graphics cards,running in XP mode ect. Luckily I had minor tweaking and even running multiple cores worked without crashing(although there were times it would lag only briefly, more of an annoyance at times) but this was running an original previously CD installed version overlaid with a steam version. My Fusion Drive died and the SATA portion took most of SC4 with it (Time machine saved me there).So With a new SSD I decided not to do the layers of upgrades again and also not to use  Windows 8.1 (horrible MS idea), but instead go for Windows 10 Pro. Did a new clean install and newly installed Steam version of SC4. I only Reused my saved Plugins and a few other items from backup and made the appropriate folders to place them in (Windows/Users/Your Name/Documents/SimCity 4) and since 2017 it has worked great no problems. Some things to remember are placements of some programs like LotEditor and DAMN may need to be adjusted to steam,gog,origin or Documents (they all seem to access differently) but many of the tools will install where you need them running a steam version.
Specs: iMac, 27, Quad Core I7, 4.0 GHz (4.2GHz B), 1TB Fusion, AMD Radeon R9 M395 4GB DDR5, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3. Not sure what your running but the duo cores perform better using single core for SC4. What ever you decide to do I'll try to help  to walk you through any bumps in the road.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Thorx21

I'm running windows 10.

I got the digital deluxe GOG version of Simcity 4. Ilives reader, sc4datpacker and even SC4Pim all work flawlessly also. If anything, it worked better then it ever did. Haven't gotten one single crash, yes not just even once. But I did pack my install with several fixes and config changes before I started playing so that definitely plays a role with stability also.

To this I want to add that I have a late 2017 desktop platform. So the newest generations motherboards, intel processor and Nvidia geforce graphics card are installed here.
If anything, having everything modern and new is equally stable as a much older machine. Personally I think it always is a matter of how you setup your computer, rather that age is a clear indicator of software compatibility, although there are definitely instances where this is the case. Not so much with Simcity 4 IME.

Couchpotato

I'm using the GOG version of Simcity 4 Deluxe with Windows 10, and for the first time ever, the game doesn't crash and the graphics don't get weird.   I have a new Alienware i7 and the plugin folder is over 3 gig but it loads in less than a minute.  Can't get SC4Launcher to work yet but that's the only issue I have.    The game and graphics are timeless and it's great to be able to upgrade PCs and OSs and still play the game.   ;D

Terring7

Sorry for hijacking this topic, but I want to ask something. How about the Lot Editor? Will it play with Windows 10 and Simcity 4 from GOG?
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Themistokles

Quote from: Terring7 on May 24, 2018, 07:03:33 AM
Sorry for hijacking this topic, but I want to ask something. How about the Lot Editor? Will it play with Windows 10 and Simcity 4 from GOG?

It is not SC4 from GOG but for what it's worth I run LE without problems on Windows 10 with SC4 from Steam.
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill