• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyberius06

You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

dyoungyn

NAM Team,

Would love to build this interchange only if we had ramps for AVE6 as we do for AVE4.  With what I have sen thus far possibly coming out, the ramps would appear to possible could be white like avenues.  I love AVE6 as it handles traffic much better than AVE4 and I use Avenues for my county and rural highways as I like to see them as white in the Region view.  Again, would to see ramps for AVE6/7.

mgb204

There is a work around. Simply use RHW-6C to intersect with the main highway. You can transition from that back to AVE-6 by dragging the Ave into the RHW. Then you have the full choice of RHW/MIS pieces to play with.

dyoungyn

Yes, this is true and I currently do this.  With your AWESOME AVE7 curve will bring new and great features.  I personally use the Region view to take a look at my work.  Also, I like the looks of Avenues as White.  If one is to use RHW6C then it shows up as black.   I have always wanted ramps for AVE6/7 like you all created for AVE4 to annotate in my Region local highways maintained by counties/state.  As a final note, I am so thankful to the entire NAM Team creating things that if it were not so, then we would not even be having this conversation. 

Tarkus

We may revisit the existing Avenue ones at some point, to change them into FLEX-based items (which would allow elevated variants).  It's possible we might extend that to Road and OWR at some point, in which case they'd be capable of receiving NWM input.  I don't know when that will happen, however, and we'll also have to figure out how things will fit in with eggman121's as-of-yet-unnamed OWR-based expressway prototype.  Region Transport View coloration isn't something where we are able to exercise much control--the game does what it wants to do with that, and there's very little we can do to change it.

There are a few smaller NWM-related goodies I am going to be adding for NAM 35.  Watch this space.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Alex,

Oh you bet, I routinely monitor these forums for great and wonderful creations from the entire NAM Team.  Thank you again for keeping the flame on for SC4.

dyoungyn

Gugu3

Tarkus

A few little surprises I finished up while the forum was down:

Textures are courtesy of Dexter and MushyMushy.

-Alex

Tyberius06

Wooow. I love these, I love NWM anyway, but what I've seen so far with all these new developments I can't wait for the next NAM releases. :)  :popcorn:
Thank you very much! :)  &apls &apls &apls &apls

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

gn_leugim

Alan_Waters

compdude787

So great to finally be seeing these transitions!! Are you also going to be making a TLA-3 to TLA-5 transition?
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

j-dub

Quote from: Tarkus on October 13, 2016, 12:22:32 AM

Wow, it's been awhile, but worth the wait. Not to knit pick though, but does the shoulder on the top left have to be such a sharp, straight-out ending? I'm not saying the whole 2 tile curved stretch, but just the first tile before looks possible to match more smoothly. Aside from that, this is what fans needed for some time.

mgb204

Quote from: j-dub on October 13, 2016, 01:31:44 PM
Not to knit pick though, but does the shoulder on the top left have to be such a sharp, straight-out ending? I'm not saying the whole 2 tile curved stretch, but just the first tile before looks possible to match more smoothly. Aside from that, this is what fans needed for some time.

Personally I like it. I think it would look better once you've zoning in place, i.e. grass and sidewalks. But I'd say the textures are probably final at this stage (at least for NAM 35).

gn_leugim

Quote from: j-dub on October 13, 2016, 01:31:44 PM
Quote from: Tarkus on October 13, 2016, 12:22:32 AM

Wow, it's been awhile, but worth the wait. Not to knit pick though, but does the shoulder on the top left have to be such a sharp, straight-out ending? I'm not saying the whole 2 tile curved stretch, but just the first tile before looks possible to match more smoothly. Aside from that, this is what fans needed for some time.

I've also noticed this, maybe a semi-circular shape? would be less "aggressive" also, we are not seeing it with the side-walk, which may change the perception of it.

Tarkus

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words and support!

Now, to get to a couple questions . . .

As far as the "aggressive" end of the RD-4 shoulder, the original textures that Dexter supplied had low-wealth on them--I had to remove it in order to get the base version, but I've since gotten his wealthing design back in place.  Here's how it looks:

Generally, in the higher density situations, however, the grass goes away--here's how that looks:

When those textures were displayed here in this thread 4 years ago (the images are lost now, due to ImageShack), there was a similar discussion about that situation, which was also evenly split.

Also, to get to the question on TLA-3-to-TLA-5 . . . Dexter did also supply some textures for that as well.  I tweaked it a little to also produce an Avenue version:

The design is slightly different from the existing AVE-2-to-Avenue design. 

I'll also add that all the transitions shown are draggable, either with direct connection (in the case of transitions involving the Avenue network) or through the stub-to-stub conversion.  There will be no puzzle piece versions.  There's only a couple of puzzle piece transitions that currently exist that haven't gotten draggable counterparts.  They're more complex situations, and while the conversion won't be complete by NAM 35, they are up on the priority list. 

Also, while I'm adept at handling some texturing tasks, NWM transitions are my biggest weakness.  As I've said before here, if anyone is willing to step up and supply textures for some of the "missing links" they want to see, it's relatively easy for me to get them in-game.  You'd be a veritable hero to all the NWM fans, and to the NAM Team as well.

-Alex

gn_leugim

looking at the pics with the sidewalks I get the "ok, now it looks great" when looking at the low density, because indeed that stip of sidewalk makes all the diference, but at the higher densities I go more like "hmm not so good". maybe the sensation of sharpness is even greater with the full sidewalk nexto to it. But like we say here, "you cannot please greeks and trojans at the same time"

Also, while I'm adept at handling some texturing tasks, NWM transitions are my biggest weakness.  As I've said before here, if anyone is willing to step up and supply textures for some of the "missing links" they want to see, it's relatively easy for me to get them in-game.  You'd be a veritable hero to all the NWM fans, and to the NAM Team as well.

if you can name one of those transitions (and maybe supply the base texture for the 2 networked being transitioned) I may take a look at it.

Durfsurn

If there is a list of ones you need done I can certainly take a look.

MushyMushy

I can say that I've been getting back into SC4 lately (following a computer problem) and have been looking at more transitions that could be feasible. Right now I'm primarily looking at OWR-1 and have at least 4 configurations in mind (I apparently have some partially-finished work on these, now that I'm looking in my textures folder). The textures are honestly pretty fun to make so I might fiddle with finishing them this weekend. As has been offered by others, I'm also happy to make more textures if people have ideas for transitions that don't exist yet, provided the transitions are logical lane-wise.

Tarkus

I'm really stoked to see so much support so quickly for texturing more transitions--thanks, gn_leugim, Durfsurn, and MushyMushy! :thumbsup:

I've attached the US orthogonal textures for all the networks (including the unreleased AVE-8/TLA-9) below.  Also included are the orth textures for Roads, OWRs, and Avenues.  I may see about getting the diagonals up as well.

I'd say the biggest ones that are missing out there are between networks of different tile widths--things like TLA-5-to-Road, AVE-6-to-RD-4, RD-4-to-AVE-2, etc. 

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

-Alex