• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The City State Of Marinko (formely Mitigra)

Started by 89James89, March 06, 2014, 05:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortext

Great work with the RFR plop water!  &apls

The transition to ingame water is a bit wonky though. Maybe with careful terraforming you could let the ingame water touch the bridge on one side and have plop water on the other?  &Thk/(

At any rate, good use of different waterfront stuff and rather clever to use NBVC's riprap in front off PEGs marina. I'll keep that in mind.  ;)

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Gugu3

kelis

Nice pictures and fantastic update, congratulations  &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

89James89

Replies:

Sim.Rico: Thanks, nice to see you over here as well.

vortext:Thanks and don't worry I've reworked the water so the transition is miles better than before. It won't be shown in this or the next entry I'm afraid but after that I'll get round to showing you. Feel free to pester me if I forget as well lol. As for the riprap its quietly concealing the fact that the land show's slightly under the actual marina lol, but shhhh don't tell anyone!

Gugu3: Thanks, hope you stick around and continue enjoying it!

kelis: Thanks, hope you check back in on the MD from time to time.

Fact File Entry 3:
Languages of the State.

National Language:

Now, given the fact that the small state is attached by land and is mostly populated by Russian's you'd be forgiven for thinking that the national language of Marinko is Russian but no. Given the large amount of other nationalities that populate the state, the national language is actually English.

This was chosen to be the national language after it was decided that a brand new language would have been unwieldy and not practical for such a small nation, especially when most of the nations occupants communicated with eachother in the English tongue anyway due to their second language educational backgrounds.

Regional Differences:

However, despite the English language being the one taught via the educational system, a number of different dialects can be heard used, depending on the area of Marinko your in. In the fishing port of Romanovik, and other predominantly Russian populated settlement's, you'd still be more likely to hear Russian being spoken than the nationally chosen language, as opposed to the small settlements of Nomyto and Atsuka where you'll hear mainly Japanese. 

There's even a developing form of Marinko Mandarin which is being spoken by a group of Chinese citizens mainly in the village of Chayling, where the different regional Mandarin dialects are merging into one.

Aside from this there is also a number of languages spoken by the smaller minorities of other nations that make up the population of the State of Marinko as you'd expect to find in most countries who have received immigrant's.

Loss of National Uniqueness?

Although question's has been raised by a number of citizens revolving around the loss of cultural and national uniqueness at the use of English as a national language, the argument is not supported by the majority of the populace who feel that the choice is soundly made.

The individual languages of the citizens are still being taught in both after school classes and the homes and the use of English allows the nation to easily communicate with most of the world, hopefully paving the way for easy integration of future trade partners and diplomatic relations.

The fact that there is no need to spend the government's budget on developing the new language and printing popular works and texts in this new language also means that a large amount of funds are saved for other areas so overall, the majority of the population feel that the cultural loss is far less than the cultural gain.

Entry 6: A rubbish solution (part 1)

Well I know I told you all we would be remaining in Romanovik last entry but a problem has arisen since then that we needed to sort out. This problem goes by the name of 'Trash' and it's recently reared it's dirty head.

You see, up until now the state had been handling it's rubbish by either shipping it out on any available space on  the barges, or burning it in place of wood in the many wood burning energy production plants used by the state.

This however could only account for so much of the trash, and with a steadily growing population count, recently it's started to get out of hand. This combined with the increased educational level's of the population (due to said population being mostly concetrated in the town's of Marinko and Romanovik, both of which have good access to education) which has led to a higher demand for job's other than farm labouring or fishing, has led to growth in Uskopoit Gavan and a new town being settled called Sepelostov. This is where we are for today's entry.

A very fast growing industrial town, this settlement has grown around one of two garbage docks, recently built in the state (the other one is in  Uskopoit Gavan, which we will hopefully take a look at in the next entry) with this one being built to serve the growing Russian facing side of the peninsula (mainly Romanovik and a few other villages).

As your about to see, this settlement has around 3,000 Marinkoans currently living in it, despite the pollution levels and lack of healthcare and education, currently making it the second largest town in the state (after Marinko town itself). It's also the second largest harbour in the state, which is why, due to this and being close to the recreational facilities in Romanovik, it's so popular regardless of the drawbacks.

Now let's take a look at this town.

Firstly we arrive in the harbour area, where you'll find a large number of factory and dockyard work available. You can also see the large garbage dock in the centre as well as a smaller port, similar to the one in Uskopoit Gavan, but served only by coastal barges (usually taking freight to Uskopoit Gavan to be distributed from there).

Here's a closer image of some of the factories providing the growth of the town.

Moving out of the harbour area we can see the use of cheap retaining walls and a small commercial centre tot he town. It also has a church which is more than Uskopoit Gavan can claim.

Here we see some of the nicer housing in the area, hugging the uneven ground at the rear of the town.

Now let's take a look at an overview of the town. As you can see it's fairly compact and centred around the harbour but there's plenty of room being eyed for future growth inland.

Finally I have a mosaic of the area leading from the centre of Sepelostov to the tower at Romanovik point (accessible from both towns by a dirt path).

(OOC: Basically this is a cross border thankyou mosaic for everyone's continued amazing support of this little project of mine. You may also notice that  the cliff has changed from last entry. This is due to a slight mishap with reconciliation of the tile.)

Well that's all for now. Join me next time when we take a look at where the rubbish is shipped too and why.

Till then

James

benedict

Your work is really something to watch - I've been enjoying watching it grow in popularity here as well as in that other place.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

isii94

Hey,

love your MD, especially the gorgeous landscape you painted with MMPs.  :thumbsup:
But I'd suggest using a better slope mod as some streets look pretty steep and bumpy.

And maybe the town should consider upgrading the dirt paths to something like paved streets or at least gravel paths  ;D

-Isabella-
MD coming soon...

89James89

Replies:

bendict.: Thanks, I'm glad your enjoying it and that it's growing in popularity. I love playign the game but I'm happy that others enjoy my work too.

isii94: Thanks, I'm glad you like the landscapes and the MMP's. They take a while but there worth it.

As for the slope mod I don't use one. I tried but I found them too restrictive. I like using the landscaping tool and elevated rail to smooth things out. I know it's not perfect in places but I prefer it to having to build really long roads to go up a slope.

Entry 7: A Rubbish Solution (part 2)

Right, last time we left off we'd just finished looking at the garbage docks in Sepelostov and as stated, this entry will take a look at where the garbage ends up.

Namely here.

Built to meet ever increasing energy demands and the need to dispose of the growing trash being produced by the state, Shrouvosk Waste To Energy Plant is a government owned power plant situated on the undeveloped side of the Uskopoit Gavan harbour. Built here due to wanting to contain the pollution to the already polluted Uskopoint Gavan area, this waste to energy plant is where nearly all of the states trash ends up, which after being sorted through at the attached recycling centre is burnt to produce the energy currently powering Uskopoit, it's surrounding villages and most of the town of Marinko.

This relatively modern, government owned plant represents the states biggest financial investment since Alexei bought the state, and has the facilities to produce energy from both incineration of combustible materials, and through the use of gases such as methane (produced in the small building behind the dock and stored in the tanks until needed). This, together with the recycling centre, means that the state has no dependence on landfills at all and a high reclamation and recycling rate.

Just outside the plant you'll find a small amount of factories and warehouses, built for the process and storage of the recycled goods. As well as housing some of the offices for several businesses and state companies, related to the plant alongside a couple of shops. (OOC: Also built to try out some new seawalls I found)

Further up the road towards Uskopoit, you'll find the small village of Shrouvosk. Settled as a place to house the plant workers, this small village isn't the nicest place to live, though it's convenient for work.

Finally we finish our rubbish entries by taking a look at the area around the plant. You can see Uskopoit in the foreground, with the smog and greenery providing stark contrasts to eachother across the river.

That's all for now. Join me next time when we take a look at some of the other places in Marinko via a coastal journey.

Till then

James

vortext

Nice entries! You've really developed a distinct and very pleasant building style!   &apls
time flies like a bird

89James89

Replies:

vortext: Thanks, glad your enjoying it and that I'm developing my own style!

Entry 8: Uskopoit In Flames!

Despite last time saying that we'd take a journey through the state as it currently stands there's been an incident in Uskopoit Gavan that we need to take a look at. It appears from this following report that over the last few months things have generally spiralled out of control in the states largest port.

Citizens in Uskopoit Gavan finally made their thought known a few weeks ago when suspected arson caused a large swathe of the small port to be destroyed in a large fire. Below are several images taken of the inferno as the small fire force in the town fought a losing battle to keep the flames under control, only succeeding when engines from Marinko arrived to help. (OOC: Sorry for the emergency symbols on the screens. I wanted to make sure I caught the action and didn't have time to try and get rid of them.).

Firefighters attempting to control the raging blaze.

The aftermath

As you see the outcome wasn't to pretty. The fact that most of the buildings were made mostly of wood didn't help with the report stating the complete destruction of 22 buildings and further damage to around 30 others.

More devastating news though was the loss of 8 lives to the blaze. Memorial services were held in the church in Marinko (due to Uskopoit not having a church of its own).

Several months later, Uskopoit was once again hit by unrest, this time on a much larger scale as what started out as a few people protesting, turned into a hundred or more rioting. Rather luckily a new police force had been instated after the suspected arson that caused the above fire, still the new, small and poorly trained police force was pushed back by the rioting crowds and a number of fires were started, before a Russian military Ka-27 'Helix' helicopter from a Udaloy II destroyer patrolling just outside Marinko National waters was launched to help, at request of the Marinko government and Police Commander.

Unfortunately the crowds only dispersed once a rioter was shot and killed by a Russian marksman on the circling helicopter after the rioter attacked a police officer with a pipe. Afterwards several more were arrested and a number of injured form both sides required medical treatment, though with the crowds dispersed, the firemen could get the fires back under control.

Here's an image from the circling helicopter of the rioters clashing with police officers.

As you can probably guess, tensions are still high in Uskopoit Gavan, though the police force is currently keeping it under control. A number of people including the states founder, Alexi Bagdenov and his son Gregoric are both known to have voiced their disappointment at how the situation was able to get so bad, though with funds strapped in Uskopoit it's not known how this situation can improve.

With elections also coming up soon, a change will probably be seen, ousting the currently small government, made up mostly of Russian born citizens based on the states unhappiness at the situation and conditions in Uskopoit.

Thankfully that's all to report on these incidents. Join me next time when hopefully we'll actually begin our tour through the small state.

Till then

James

(OOC: Basically this all randomly happened while I was working on the Uskopoit Gavan tile and I just had to include it. As mentioned above, apologies for the icons in the screens, but I hope you enjoy this random and slightly worrying entry.)

Sim.Rico

Good MD episode and sending  Care Packages and donations for those displaced due to the big fire. Hope the supplies ease some of their current daily needs!

warconstruct

very beautiful city, i love your port! realistic fire! very good  :thumbsup:
Province of Acadia since 2020
Province of Zillerthal (2014)
Port Aux Captes (2009-2011)
Province of Trieste (2006-2010)
Since SC4D 2007-2022

89James89

Replies

Sim.Rico: Thankyou, your care packages were happily received and don't worry the, displaced people have all found new places to live so its all good.

warconstruct: Thanks, though none of the citizens of Uskopoit would agree with the beautiful bit lol though the port is always busy. The fire wasn't planned at all by the way, it actually happened randomly in the game.

Entry 9: A tour through Marinko (part one)

Right so today we make a start on the tour through Marinko that I mentioned we would do a little while ago. Starting from Uskopoit Gavan we will work our way around the coastline through the expanding towns and settlements that line it.

Part one will be showing Uskopoit Gavan and Marinko Town, though first we will start with a overview of the region.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/89James89/Marinko/Maps/Marinko/entry_9_region_view.png

I'll also be showing a regional overview at the end of the tour so we can see how the state grows during our visits to the different towns and places.

Anyway let's make a start in Uskopoit Gavan. A lot calmer than the last time we visited, you can see that the town's council has apparently tried to better it after the disturbances shown in the last entry. Unfortunately, this attempt at betterment doesn't seem to have addressed any of the real issues the citizens had raised (namely healthcare and education), instead concentrating on bringing in more taxes in a thinly veiled attempt at making it a more appealing place.

This can be best seen in the states first commercial estate. Otsuka Commercial Estate is located on the road between Uskopoit Gavan and Marinko Town, just south of the village of Otsuka. An attempt at providing some classy retail therapy for both towns, you can see in the following picture that it failed, with the properties instead being bought by low wealth businesses and offices dealing in everything but class. Still at least it provides some retail therapy.

Next up is a large mosaic of Uskopoit Gavan, taking you from the new farmland spreading north of the river Usk, down through the small village of Upper Auko and it's sister village and small port, Lower Auko (which interstingly enough, although being one of the smallest ports in the state has the highest export percentage of the states port, with 95% of it's traffic being recycled goods shipping out to the other ports in Marinko).

Continuing down through the mosaic, we come to the rapidly expanding north side of Uskopoit Gavan and out through to the grungy Uskopoit beach. The park you can see, a little bit of green in the mud and concrete that is Uskopoit, marks the spot where the fire started several years ago and stands as a memorial to the 8 people who lost their lives. As you can see the area around it has changed quite a lot since the fire.

Finally a overview of Uskopoit Gavan and it's surrounds.

Next we move on to Marinko Town and its surrounds.

This area has grown a lot since the last time we visited it with a number of new villages springing up around the states capital, eager to make use of the education and healthcare provided in the town. First off we'll take a look at a image showing several of these new villages.

Starting at the top of the image you can find the large villages of Kriolatov and Hengku who are slowly growing into one. To the right of that you can see the tiny village of Siricoyta, half covered by trees and then below that is the top right corner of Marinko Town itself. As you can see farming is still a big employer in the area, though most of the people work in the growing factories in Uskopoit or the new commercials buildings popping up all over the town.

This can be seen best here at the point of initial colonisation for the state. Gone are the old factories that had been abandoned as industry moved to Uskopoit, instead having been replaced with these new commercial ventures, slowly creating a central point in the town. Of note is the old power station located here. With it being shut down due to the power provided by the Shrouvosk Waste to Energy Plant being ample to supply the town, this old furnace is no longer needed. It's undecided as to what to do with it but a number of people are talking about having it converted into a museum or eatery of sorts.

Another new commercial point that has proved to be very popular with the locals is the Bogdanov Bakery. Run by owned by Alexi's daughter Lidiya, this bakery and café is easily one of the best places to eat in the state and as such very popular.

Another popular point in Marinko Town is the old St Peter's church, Seen here you can see that, although the church itself has remained unchanged the area around it hasn't and new, cheap row houses sit next to it, as more people try to cram themselves into the limited space. A commonly occurring theme across the state.

Now we get to another mosaic, this time showing the Marinko Town area from the tiny afore-seen village of Siricoyta, through the heart of Marinko Town, with it's old church and government building overlooking its redeveloped commercial sector, through to the clean and popular beaches and out into the ever present farmland.

Finally we have a overview of Marinko Town and the villages to the east of it, easily showing the growth that they've seen over the years as well.

Well that's all for this entry and part one of our tour. I hope you enjoyed it and will join me next time as we continue to tour.

Till then

James

M4346

What a great update! I really love your work!

I am not nearly brave enough to embark on such extensive MMPing (especially ploppable water and other very fine, beautiful details) as you have done to date with such perfection!

It's very beautiful and inspiring! :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

89James89

Replies:[/u]

M4346:  Thanks and don't worry about being brave, just jump in have a go. It's great fun and pretty rewarding at the end.

Entry 10: A Tour through Marinko (Part 2)

Welcome back and today we continue our tour of the state by visiting Tonraqa, a small town, built around a inlet and quite possibly, the opposite of Uskopoit in every way.

Whether its the peaceful village of Kovda shown here, or the bustling town itself the quality of life is the amongst the best in the state.

Owing to the farmland that surrounds the town and the large commercial and recreational centre brought on by the small secluded beach, the area is very popular and has all the amenities that Uskopoit lacks. Below we can see some of the more important parts of the town.

Starting at the ferry port, this small terminal is one of the most used terminals in the entire state owing mainly to the shopping and recreational areas of the town. Boat traffic however is limited due to reasons you'll discover in a minute, hence why the marina isn't bigger for the popular destination it is.

Another popular area of the town is this farmers market. Used by the farmers around the town to sell straight to the public, this is a popular place on Saturdays and Wednesday when the market is held.

The main draw for Tonraqa however, is the small beach. Easily maintainable and sheltered this beach is generally busy throughout the summer months where sometimes it can be hard to find a spot.

This next image shows a zoomed out overview of the actual town of Tonraqa. In the bottom right you can see the rocks locally known as Old Man's Teeth, which together with the narrow entrance to the small bay is the cause of the traffic issues. You can also see the rest of the town, including the farmers market and its commercial beach front.

Finally for this part of the tour we'll take a look at an overview of the area around Tonraqa with Kovda in the bottom left and Tonraqa in the centre.

That's all for this entry. Join me next time when we take a look at Nielsovskiy, the next stop on our tour.

Till then.

James

89James89

Entry 11: A Tour through Marinko (Part 3)

Welcome back to our tour where today we visit Nielsovskiy and its surrounds. A tiny little town that mostly keeps itself to itself, the area is actually the furthest away from a large settlement, despite being in the middle of the state. This is reflected heavily in the way of life here, most of all in the sparse settlements and the tracks that are even more dangerous than most of the other dirt
roads in Marinko.

Firstly however, we start this part of the tour in the town of Nielsovskiy , the main settlement in the area. A small, quiet town nestled in the trees that dominate the state could be easily missed if not for the shops that line its main street and the docks. Here's a image of the area showing just how dense the tree cover is and how sparse the houses are. You can also see the mouth of the river Ielsov in this picture.

Also shown here is a image of the small harbour with its ferries that serve a very important role for the area around Nielsovskiy as you'll see in a minute.

Moving on we get to the what is commonly known as the worst road in Marinko. Dangerous to traverse even when dry and deadly when wet or icy, this road routinely claims several lifes a year despite only being several kilometres long as drivers get stuck or overturn on the rocky roads.

Starting in the tiny village of Zeverikay and ending in the larger village of Algish, this road is well known throughout the state for its dangerous tracks. Despite this however, people still travel it to get from the east of Marinko tot he north and west. Below are some images where you can (just about in places) see the mentioned track starting in Zeverikay and finishing in Algish.

As you can see, the track is well deserved of its reputation.

The final image in the ones above show Algish, a small village which unusually has its own tiny port. This isn't due to over funding or odd growth but a necessity for travel links, the ferry being the only way to travel between Nielsovskiy  and Algish during the rainy or icy months of Marinko's climate, where the track isn't traversable and the small pontoon ferries are the only link (though in some cases not much safer).

Finally for this entry we have the usual overview of what is the most rural area of Marinko so far.

And that's all for today.

Hope you've enjoyed this look at Nielsovoskiy and its surrounds and you'll join me next time where we visit Nomyto and Atsuka.

Cheers

James

vortext

Very nice updates! Everything is so well composed, gorgeous!  &apls

I'd also like to get a closer look at Ielsov, the mouth in particular. Seems like you got the blending of RFR and in game water nailed down!   :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird

89James89

Replies:

vortext: Thanks, I'm glad your enjoying the composure of the images. I'll try and get a closer look for you in a future update but its achieved through the use of the marsh RFR water I think.

Entry 12: A Tour through Marinko (part 4)

Welcome back for today's leg of the tour, this time visiting the cliffisde village of Nomyto and the religious centre of the state Atsuka.

Starting in Nomyto we come across a tiny village of nearly 180 inhabitants nestled on the top of the cliffs. As you can see from the photo's below there isn't a whole lot in the village itself just some houses surrouynded by farmland, though the Nomyto lookout provides a little bit of recreation and draw tot he area.

Looking at the overview of the area you can see just how rocky the area is with the island of Farukon (Falcon in Japanese) Rock and several smaller un-named islands jutting out into the sea.

Moving on to the much bigger settlement of Atsuka we come across the religious centre of the state. With the states being rather small, most of the churches that already exist are Orthodox Russian ones, with other religious groups meeting in halls or using the orthodox ones. This however isn't the case in Atuska as the towns central location and good ferry links meant that the states first Christian church and Temple for the Asian population has been built.

Atsuka temple

Christian Church and School

Atsuka Orthodox church

This combined with a decent amount of healthcare and education has led to Atsuka being quite a well off place with the religious buildings offering a different draw to that of Romanovik and Tonraqa and as such the place has a marina and several nice shops on its waterfront.

With the area being in the centre of the state though (coastline wise) it still needs to be provided with supplies and lacking a dock of its own this falls to the tiny dock in the village of Levot shown here, where small ships can drop off and pick up goods from Uskopoit and Sepelostov.

Finally for this entry is a overview of the area surrounding Atuska where you can see the village of Levot at the end of the river and the unshown village of  Hoyashi at the rivers mouth.

Hope you enjoyed part 4 of the tour and that you'll join me next time for part 5 where we near the end of the tour.

Cheers

James

benedict

Nice work.

I feel the in-game house of worship stands out as being just a little bit out of place in the picture, not exactly sure why.
Click on the banner to celebrate!