• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nego

Another fantastic update here, Tarkus! &apls Though all of the use of NWM & TuLEPs v2.0 are making me jealous. :P Can't wait for the release of the next versions of those mods.

Also, can't wait for your next update! :thumbsup:

ivo_su

Can I be less critical, at risk to incur the hostility of  many people.  I can not believe he would utter these words heretical AVE-6 but not especially like.
1. medians does not seem normal and aesthetically not fit somehow. And I saw lights in the middle between the lanes.
2. textures themselves do not like, mainly because the white line to the sidewalk. And what is its purpose and can not understand. Borrowed is MAVE-4 but why not just add another lane to the AVE-4 and Make biggest medians ?
Sorry that Alex did not say anything nice  but nadyadam not be angry with me  if I was with my constructive  criticism  to my lighter. I really like  your work  and try  to say  what I think  the most  constructive way.

Ivo

Ramona Brie

Quote from: ivo_su on June 20, 2011, 04:20:44 PM
Can I be less critical, at risk to incur the hostility of  many people.  I can not believe he would utter these words heretical AVE-6 but not especially like.
1. medians does not seem normal and aesthetically not fit somehow. And I saw lights in the middle between the lanes.
2. textures themselves do not like, mainly because the white line to the sidewalk. And what is its purpose and can not understand. Borrowed is MAVE-4 but why not just add another lane to the AVE-4 and Make biggest medians ?
Sorry that Alex did not say anything nice  but nadyadam not be angry with me  if I was with my constructive  criticism  to my lighter. I really like  your work  and try  to say  what I think  the most  constructive way.

Ivo

The white line is probably a bike lane. Most AZ major arterials (many of which are AVE-6 or TLA-7) have that.

jdenm8

Most ikely a Bike Lane or parking, neither of which are uncommon here.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

ivo_su

Especially interesting as an idea if the parking would accept it but if a bike lane I think it would be suicide. Maybe when your drivers are more tolerant but if here in Sofia is such a bicycle lane on a busy boulevard so I'm sure every day will have 3-4 dead rider.

Ivo

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: ivo_su on June 20, 2011, 10:24:30 PM
Especially interesting as an idea if the parking would accept it but if a bike lane I think it would be suicide. Maybe when your drivers are more tolerant but if here in Sofia is such a bicycle lane on a busy boulevard so I'm sure every day will have 3-4 dead rider.

Ivo
Believe me, bike lanes are much safer here in the US. Most of the avenues with bike lanes that Tracker mentioned (and which I'm sure inspired Alex/Tarkus in designing the AVE-6 textures) are in the suburbs, where there's less danger to bicyclists from passing drivers.

Terrific stuff once again, Alex! Let me join the others who have expressed interest in seeing that AVE-6 T21 mod released; I'd love to make use of it once NWM 2.0 is out. Looking forward to more great updates from Chemeketa!

Zack

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Ramona Brie

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Well, I'm back here with another smaller construction project in Chemeketa, which the city is undertaking with impact fees gleaned from developers while it acquires funding to finish widening 52nd Avenue.  But first, replies:

Vincenzo (vinlabsc3k): Thanks for the compliments!  The AVE-6 probably won't come with a T21 median setup by default with the new NWM, but I do plan on checking with jackxu to see if he'd be interested in adding these files to his.

Ioan (io_bg): Thanks for the kind words on the widening--I'm glad to hear you like the looks of the AVE-6 and the TuLEP-age. :)

Noah (noahclem):  Thanks for the compliments!  I'm glad you enjoyed the construction, the interchange there at Highway 15 and the peek at the Advanced TuLEPs!  I do plan to look into making the medians available down the road, too.  As far as the maps go, I did a tutorial on my process for Update 21--hope you find it useful!

bat: Thank you for the very kind words, and I hope you enjoy Phase 2 and the little "detour" we're taking this time.

[The Other] Alex (Exla357): Thanks for the kind words on the update--I'm glad Phase 1 was to your liking, and I don't think I'll have too much teasing of unreleased content here . . . though a secret weapon might make an cameo in a few updates. ::)  And I'm also glad to hear I'm not the only one constantly tearing his cities apart. :D  As far as the median goes, I tweaked the AVE-2 mod for use on the AVE-6 just out of curiosity, to see if it'd line up good--turns out it does. :)

Raymie (Tracker): Definitely will be looking into it. :thumbsup:  Thanks for the compliments on how the medians came out--though I can't take full credit there.  And good guess on the signalization bit there.  :D   They are actually signalized now, however. ::)  (And thanks for jumping in and answering some questions! :thumbsup:)

rhwfanatic221:  Thanks for the kind words on the update and on the AVE-6!  It'll definitely be in the NWM Version 2.0 release.  To answer your question on the TuLEP intersection signalization, the intersection with the AVE-6 TuLEPs shown last time will have signals on it upon release.  We are looking into eventually having some non-signalized TuLEPs intersections down the road (pun intended) sometime, though. (And by the way, nice username! ;D)

sc-4: Thanks for the very kind words!  I'm glad you enjoyed the update, and I hope you're enjoying reading through everything. :)

Jon (bakerton): Thanks for the compliments on the update--hope this latest update proves just as inspiring! :thumbsup:

Ralphael (RickD):  Thanks for the kind words on the Avenue and the roundabout--it does come as a bit of a surprise given that I haven't typically used them, but you'll be seeing quite a few more here in Chemeketa in coming updates.  Hope you had a great vacation, too, by the way! :)

travismking: Thanks for the all-too-kind words on the update and the AVE-6--I'm really glad you enjoyed this latest installment!  I'm definitely looking forward to the day when you all can enjoy the triple-tile networks, too. :)

Nego: Thanks for the compliments on the update and the new content!  We're inching toward the point where jealousy will turn into elation. ;D  And congratulations on making Post #1200--you'll be getting "on the map". :thumbsup:

Ivo (ivo_su): The median T21s here were kind of an experiment of sorts . . . the landscaping seen there is actually fairly typical of these types of roads here in Oregon.  Because of how the network is set up (sharing outer tiles with the TLA-7), the streetlights will probably be on the outer edges next to the sidewalk.  As far as the textures go, the white line areas can be thought of either as shoulders (to accommodate wider vehicles) or bike lanes, which, again, are fairly typical around these parts, and they help keep the sidewalks from becoming too large.

jdenm8: Thanks for jumping in and answering questions! :thumbsup:  I did indeed have bike lanes in mind.

Zack (woodb3kmaster): Thanks for the all-too-kind words on the update!  I'll definitely be looking into making the AVE-6 T21s available (especially with as much interest as there is).  And thanks for jumping into help answer the bike lane/shoulder debate--bike lanes are indeed pretty common here on roads like that.  Hope you enjoy this latest update!

Buzzit: Thanks--I'm glad you enjoyed the update! :thumbsup:

McCabe Street SE Extension (23rd to 33rd/Creek Way)

Below is a map illustrating the plan for this latest project--the dashed lines are roads that will be constructed as part of this update.

The McCabe Street Extension will extend McCabe Street SE from 23rd Avenue NE to 33rd Avenue NE/Creek Way NE in north-central Chemeketa.  This project has been funded by two developers, one building new office space west of the extension, and another by the developers of the Starpoint subdivision to the east of the extension.  In addition to the McCabe Street extension, a new local through-street, Starpoint Drive NE, will be constructed between Ashcroft St NE (at 30th Avenue), to the McCabe extension and continuing east into the subdivision.

Here's the existing curve, where 33rd Avenue NE turns into Creek Way NE (facing north).  This is where the McCabe Street extension will connect in, and as you can see, work's already begun on it.

This is between 23rd and 33rd along the extension--grading and paving is underway (facing north).

Much as happened with the Dallas Drive/Rankine Lane intersection shown three updates ago, there's some unusual angles involved, and as such, engineers have chosen a roundabout intersection. (facing north)  Because of the lower traffic volumes, this will only be a single-lane one.  In order to facilitate construction, 33rd and Creek Way have been closed for about 6 weeks.

Work continues on the roundabout (facing north).

Construction is also underway on Starpoint Drive NE, another new connector road that will run through both the commercial and residential development.  This is just to the south of the roundabout (facing north), which Starpoint will connect into as well.

Starpoint Drive NE will connect to Ashcroft Street NE, lining up at the existing 30th Avenue NE intersection (facing north).

The extended McCabe Street has been connected into the roundabout (facing north), which is now just about to open.

The western segment of Starpoint has now been connected into the roundabout (facing north).

As part of the traffic impact mitigation agreed upon by the developers, the intersection at Ashcroft with 30th/Starpoint has been signalized.

The roundabout now has the 5th connection in place--the eastern segment of Starpoint (facing north).

Finally, here are a couple images of McCabe Street all extended.  Both the commercial and residential development is well underway.  (both facing north)

That does it for this project--hope you enjoyed following it, and I'll be back next time with yet another construction project . . . we'll take a look at a couple more smaller ones, and then head back to 52nd Avenue.

-Alex

sc-4

I've finally read all your MD including your last update and in my opinion your MD is awesome Alex , like you !

Call me Ludo

rooker1

A moment of honesty....
I don't post in here as often as I would like, but I never know what to say.  You are a road geek, it's obvious, but I am not and becasue of this I guess I sometimes I don't get your updates.  I understand what you are doing, building transit networks and how they are built as in real life.  I would sometimes like to see how Alex the mayor deals with schooling, hospitals, his industrial areas and the proximity of residential and commercial zones.  What his down town area might look like, his rural areas and his attention to finished details such as tress, parks and all that sort of stuff.
Don't get me wrong.....I do like what I see. ;) &apls I just wish there was another side to you as well.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

bat

The McCabe Street is looking great so far.
Also nice work on the roundabout!! :thumbsup:

metarvo

The roundabout certainly makes sense given the geometry of that intersection.  It's a little ironic (or perhaps not so $%Grinno$%) that Starpoint Dr. would have went through a "Five Star" intersection had a roundabout not been built instead.  The six week wait was probably a minor annoyance, but I'm sure Chemeketans are used to road work and alternate routes.  Keep up the good work, Alex!

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Exla357

Nego

Another great update, Tarkus. &apls The Starpoint subdivision looks like a nice place to live. Good-looking and close to work.

Can't wait for your next update! :thumbsup:

P.S. Metaphorical "inches" away from elation? Sounds exhilarating! :P

Ramona Brie

Quote from: Exla357 on June 23, 2011, 08:18:33 AM
That looks nice, where do you get the roundabout filler?

That is an SFBT roundabout filler available somewhere for download. I have it too and have used it on occasion.

And I very much like your approach to building for development. Your subdivisions look a lot like mine, with the same mix of homes.

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

I'm back with another installment of Tarkusian Cities--a slightly smaller one.

But first, replies:

sc-4: Thanks for the kind words, and for making the effort to read through the whole MD--no small feat!  I'm thrilled that you've enjoyed it!

Robin (rooker1): Thanks for the kind words, and most of all, thanks for the rather thoughtful (and thought-provoking) critical feedback!  It's really quite valuable to have some perspective from a confirmed non-roadgeek, particularly one with your MDing credentials. 

Beyond my unabashed roadgeekiness, I suppose I've kind of gravitated toward the transport aspects of the game because I feel there's a certain intrinsic drama in the construction process that allows me to show myself getting my hands dirty with SC4.  It allows me to create a story arc of sorts that is directly related to the game (often, my construction projects are dictated by the game's own traffic graphs), and at the same time, represents an actual activity undertaken by real-life municipalities.  That concept really appealed to me, and it seemed like something different compared to what other MDers and CJers tended to do, even the "roadgeek" types (back when Tarkusian Cities was starting, the standard bearers were folks like dfnva and pickled_pig).  Probably the closest things were 1dera3's efforts from 2005-2006 and the Pakkusena Airport journal that Xiziz and a few others were doing around that same time. 

I feel like a fair bit of my reader base comes to Tarkusian Cities to see road construction and bulldozers, and this MD has kind of become synonymous with that style.

That said, I would like to broaden my approach to have a little something more for the non-roadgeek readers, and sometimes I enjoy doing a non-road construction update every once and awhile--on occasion, I've enjoyed doing "tour" updates or "mosaic" updates that linger on an aspect of a region rather than the processes that led to its construction.  I'd like to do more of those periodically to provide a change of pace.  Additionally, put a fair bit of thought into zoning in tandem with my transportation layouts--I've wanted to develop a viable way to merge that conception in with my update approach for awhile as well.

Again, thank you for your constructive and honest feedback here--you've given me a fair bit to think about, and as someone who likes to think about stuff (:D), I appreciate that. :thumbsup:

bat: Thank you, my friend--I'm glad you enjoyed following the McCabe Street extension and found the roundabout to your liking.  Hope you find this next project to your liking as well!

metarvo: Thanks for the compliments on the roundabout and on the update!  And you've exactly guessed how I named that road.  :D  That and it just seemed like a natural subdivision name.

Alex (Exla357): Thanks for the kind words--and to answer your question, you can find the roundabout filler in this package.

Nego: Thanks--I'm glad you enjoyed the update and found the subdivision to your liking!  It is indeed some primo real estate there--the developers and realtors made some beaucoup bucks off of it, and there was some talk of expanding it, but the city thought it would have taken up too much of the "green buffer zone" and appears unlikely to approve it.  And we are indeed inching ever forward . . . not too much longer. ;)  And we'll likely be taking a look at Nego Way in South Chemeketa in a not-too-distant update, too, in honor of your being poster #1200!

Raymie (Tracker): Thanks for the compliments on my development approach!  I have noticed a similarity in the pics I've seen in your screenshots.  I've kind of tried to blend my interest in southwestern suburbia (Reno, NV has been a big influence on my SC4 style) as well as the more familiar environs of Washington County, Oregon (which one of these days, I'd like to recreate).  Mattb325's homes have been absolutely essential to my style, too.  Surprisingly, I didn't have them in my Plugins until I rebuilt them after my old laptop's HD overheated.

[size="5"]Tower Loop NE Extension (Heald to Ashcroft)[/size]

The Tower Loop Project will extend the eastern "stub" of Tower Loop NE (named after Poster #100 in the ST edition of Tarkusian Cities, Towerdude) from Heald Way NE to Ashcroft St NE at 75th Avenue NE, completing the loop.  The area northeast of the intersection of 71st and Ashcroft has recently been purchased with the intent of building a high-tech park.  The city council approved the development after the developers agreed to improve nearby roadway facilities and provide proper connectivity.   In addition to the extension of Tower Loop and the construction of new local streets as part of the development, Ashcroft Street will also be widened from 2 lanes to 4 with a center turn lane from 71st to the new Heald Way extension.  The dashed lines on the map indicate new roads that will be constructed as part of the project.

We'll begin with the Tower Loop Project.  The city had already anticipated development on the parcel northeast of 71st and Ashcroft, and had already constructed an overpass over 71st for Tower Loop, shown below (facing east).  Because of 71st Avenue's status as a surface expressway, and the fact that Tower was anticipated to have a fairly considerable traffic volume, city engineers deemed an overpass would be necessary.

Here's another look at the existing bit of Tower Loop past the overpass (facing north).

Widening work on Ashcroft Street has begun (facing north).

Here is the "intersection" at Tower Loop and Heald Way (facing north).  Not really much of an intersection, but as you can see, work's begun on making it one.

Widening continues (facing north).  At the bottom, you can see where Tower Loop will connect into Ashcroft, and at the top, where Heald Way will connect.

Widening has been completed on Ashcroft Street, and paving has commenced on the new section of Tower Loop (facing north).

And here is the finished product, with development going in (facing north).

And that does it for this latest project--hope you've enjoyed it!  The city's gotten the funds to start on Phase 2 of the 52nd Avenue widening, so we'll be headed out there next update. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

rooker1

Another road geek interesting update. :P ;)
Thank you for taking my criticism so well.  Sometimes I wonder if I go too far with my opinions.  I think I may track down some of those other MDs/CJs you mentioned and see what they are all about.  It slips my mind right now if I was following them in thier time.
I look forward to seeing more of your fine city.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

bakerton

Alex, The extention look nice and the devolopment look great too.McCabe Street and Tower Loop projects remind me of a couple RL projects here in my hometown area. Looking forward to more exciting projects and more T.C. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

Ramona Brie

Very nicely done again. Yeah, your subdivisions smack of mine and vice versa. I've even begun using SAM 7 a lot more...the only difference is that I use the Olympic terrain mod (but I wish I could find yours — mine is a little too green now for my taste).

I've given up on recreating AZ before starting because the building style is just not available in SC4. No AZ-style schools or homes or strip malls. Though I'd like to see that stuff, it just doesn't exist. (And I can't BAT.)