• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallasey

A commendable update! The mapwork as always informative and easy to use.

RickD

Awesome update and what a cliffhanger. I'm dying to see how you build the interchanges.  ;)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

superhands

like the graphics very much so :thumbsup: excellent modifications to the existing road layouts Alex.

darraghf

I always love it when the time of the month comes around that you update your MD. I always love seeing the progress of your neverending Highway projects. Well done!

Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

EDGE4194

alex- enjoyed the update. As usual- i love studying your incredible maps before seeing the pics of the various projects. I bet that silver high rise was quite the controversy being built right next to that quiet neighborhood!

bakerton

Well Alex, I enjoyed this lastest update and I am awe struck at your construction methods. ORDOT is doing a great job sofar. See ya next time JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

canyonjumper

Great update Alex! Well done ;D

Your friend,
                            Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Jmouse

One of your best updates ever, Alex, and very clearly explained to be such a complex project. It all started coming together when I saw the first photo of the five-lane. Too bad about the loss of homes, but it's easy to see the project was necessary.

I like the way you've presented the Wallace alignment (seventh photo). I've never seen this kind of thing in any other MD, and I'm not really sure what to call it! I see overpasses used as feeder roads intersecting highway overpasses (fourth photo from the last).

And the details are extraordinary. There are barriers in places where barriers would naturally be placed in a RL situation such as this. The construction equipment is well placed, too, and there are sound barriers where one would expect them to be. The only "unrealistic" thing I see is the neatness of your work. RL DOT construction sites usually look like a category three tornado just blew through! :D

I returned from a road trip a couple of weeks ago - we traveled from north-east Arkansas to west-central Oklahoma. During that six-hour journey, I amused myself by guessing how the roads must have been built. This is all thanks to my growing interest in your educational construction projects!

There are no "rocky mountains" along the way,
of course, but some rather high rolling hills. For all the world, though, it looks like the DOT must have used a small army of bulldozers to destroy everything in their path to create a straight and level road bed. The only reason I can think of is the expense -a straight, level road is cheaper to build.

Outstanding update this time
which has left me eager to see what will come next. :)

Later...
Joan

citybuilderx

Great update as ever. I love your use of construction lots.

Q: Have you considered using road signs? I think it would make your pictures more realistic.

Keep up the great work.

~~Nick
Aim for the stars and you might make the moon,
aim for the moon and you might not get there.

Tarkus

Well, I'm finally back with more Tarkusian Cities.  We'll be returning to the Wallace Corridor Project to look at the upgrades to the Wallace Road interchange with Highway 36 just west of downtown Chemeketa, and the new Wallace Road bridge over the Willamette River--subprojects A, B and C on the map.

When we left off last time, Wallace Road's overpass at Highway 36 had just bit the wrecking ball.  Here, you can see things have progressed a little further.  The groundwork is being laid for a sort of mini-Collector/Distributor lane system for Highway 36 eastbound. (facing east).

Meanwhile, while that's being done, the overpass is being continued across the freeway. (facing east)

This is on the other side of the interchange, heading toward downtown.  More Collector/Distributor work going on (facing east), with work on an elevated section.

Retaining walls and landscaping starting to take shape on the newly widened stretch of Wallace, now all connected to the overpass. (facing east)

This is across the river near Downtown Vivien Heights.  The bridge toward the top of the image is the existing Wallace Road bridge--as you can see, it's a mere 2 lane structure.  That crane there is in place to build a temporary bridge one block to the west, lining up with Smith Street (facing east).

The temporary Smith Street span is in place. (facing east)

The existing Wallace Road span has been demolished to make way for a new 4-lane structure, matching the width of the improved segment of Wallace Road south of the river. (facing east)

Various work involving rebuilding Exit 69B (Downtown via the Commerce/Division Street couplet).  The ramps are being lengthened and realigned to accommodate the new C/D setup from the Wallace Road project to the west (facing east).  As you can see, Downtown Chemeketa's really grown quite a bit.

Back to check on Exit 69A--the Wallace Road interchange.  The new mini C/D setup is in place for eastbound Highway 36, allowing for a) traffic heading to downtown to bypass the Wallace Road exit, b) allowing Wallace Road traffic to enter the freeway without weaving, c) allowing Wallace Road traffic to access the downtown exit without having to get on the mainline of the freeway.  This segment here is just east of the Wallace Road interchange. (facing east)

The new interchange is open for traffic now. (facing west)

Another angle of the improved interchange.  A sound wall was put on the south side to minimize disruption to the residential area there. (facing south)

The new Wallace Road bridge, in place. (facing north)

The west side of the Wallace Road interchange, after completion. (facing east)

That does it for this part of the project.  We'll be looking at Subproject E, the Halvorson Road widening, as part of the next update, and some additional work on Subprojects A and C after that. 

My apologies about the lack of replies lately as well--I'm looking to do a 3RR-style "We've Got Mail" type thing sometime between now and the next update, as some of you have asked some very interesting questions that I'd like to answer.  Thank you for all your kind words, encouragement and support through the (very) intermittent nature of things here--we're almost to 100k views now as well.

-Alex

RickD

Nice to see another update. I like the mini-C/D concept at the new interchange and your maps are always great.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Jayster

Very nice. Interesting form to your updates, I like it a lot!  :thumbsup:

Jayster

Haljackey

Whoa! This MD has woke up from a deep sleep!

Topic: Tarkusian Cities (Update 64--10/4/2010--Chemeketa: Wallace Corridor Pt. 2)  (Read 100083 times)
:o

Holy crap! Congrats on hitting 100k Alex!  :thumbsup:

Now on to your update... That's a lot of highway construction, but coming from you, that's the norm. I guess I'm just not as accustomed to seeing these massive reworks because you only see them at this scale in your MD.  :P The update looks really good, especially your grading and bridgework. As always, your map helps to show us where these upgrades are taking place.

Great to see you back man! I look forward to seeing more!  ;)

mightygoose

great update, nice to see what the latest nam can do. what is with the white texture bordering on the rhw2 curves....?
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Jmouse

Very impressive aggregation of projects you have here. The overpasses are always favorites, but it must have taken an enormous bond issue to pay for all the work.

I find it interesting to study the entrance and exit ramps, and there are plenty to see. Some are so complex, though, I can't help but wonder how easy - or difficult - it would be to navigate them in RL. Will these interchanges be used by motorists just passing through?

Once again, you've outdone yourself  on this excellent update, Alex!

Joan

canyonjumper

Awesome update Alex!

Your friend,
                              Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

bat

It's great to see a new update here!
And the pictures are nice ones. :thumbsup:

art128

A fantastic update Alex ! I love watching the constructions of the city step by step, you've done a nice job with the RHW.
Can't wait for more !

-Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Nego

Nice update, Tarkus! The construction seems to be coming along really nicely. I can't wait for the next update! Keep up all of the great work! :thumbsup:

Battlecat

Great to see you're back at it!  Yet another fantastic update!