• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

Fantastic maps, Alex! I love them! And the gorge road looks incredible, too! Can't wait to see more!

Filasimo

id hate to pull over for a emergency pee break in that mountain area!  :D cant wait for another update
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

bat

Fantastic looking new maps, Tarkus! And great picture of the highway! :thumbsup:

Madeira aka Constantina

the map are very interesting although i prefer to stay with very tight bends (only if it is in the wild country)

bakerton

I have read through everything from page one, and I must say; most awesome job with everything and I hope that more awesome and great works are coming. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Finally back with an update.  The first phase of the Gilmour Parkway project has more or less been completed, aside from a few aesthetic touches.  This phase converted Gilmour Avenue from 2 travel lanes to a 4-lane divided route between South 22nd Avenue and the S-Curve, and extended the route to an intersection with Highway 24/Wakeman Boulevard. 

Here's Gilmour Street on the S-Curve just past 18th Avenue, facing east:

The partial redesign of the S-Curve (2,3)

(The portion between the S-Curve and 11th Avenue will be redesigned as part of Phase 2)

This is Gilmour and 22nd before (yet again--I keep showing this intersection, and I can promise you, this isn't the last redesign ;))

Here's after the portion up to 22nd has been widened, but before the extension was put through. 

The extension has been started.  23rd Avenue no longer connects to Gilmour, as Public Works thought it would have been too close to the major intersection with 22nd Avenue, which potentially would have caused congestion on the new route.

This is where the extension will meet up with Rabin Drive, which will now end at Gilmour Parkway instead of at Highway 24. 

To save money on this phase, part of the old 2-lane Rabin Drive alignment has become part of the Gilmour Parkway route.  Eventually, with the completion of Phase 3, the route will continue as a 4-lane road at the diagonal, and the proposed extension may reach Latimer Road.

And another development you may find interesting.  I've been assembling a new regional transportation map for all of Argentum (36 tiles total).  It's still not done, but here's a sneak preview, zoomed way out.  This is essentially highway, road, street, and rail line in the entire region.  The full-sized one is a 12,000 pixel x 12,000 pixel vector drawing, which I'm still trying to figure out how to show on here. :D  That will more than likely involve breaking it down. ;)

Hope you enjoyed this update!

Now for replies:

Robin (rooker1):  Thanks!  That bridge might get overhauled here at some point, and it's looking as if there may be another bridge going behind it soon.  A very large bridge, I might add . . . ;)  Glad to hear you like the map as well--I usually have quite a bit of fun putting them together, which outweighs my lack of patience. :D

bat: Thanks!  I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it.

Dustin (thundercrack83):  Thanks for the compliments on the suburbia and the map.  Suburban areas always been the most fun thing to build in this game for me.  There's always something to tinker with.  As far as the now bulldozed country club goes, that's just the start.  I can tell you something road related is going in there (as everyone could probably see coming a million miles away).  But something else big is getting relocated as well, as you'll soon see . . .

Joan (Jmouse):  Thanks--glad you like the neighborhoods--I've really been enjoying building those since I started blocking all the Maxis stuff out.  As far as a strip mall going in across from a farm, that's actually a pretty common  occurrence here in Oregon for areas that are undergoing urbanization.  The farms there likely won't be there much longer, though.

Pat (patfirefghtr):  Thanks--I'm thrilled that you've been enjoying each update.  That's a fantastic idea on the Gilmour Parkway expansion--there's plenty of room to relocate the homes.  Now if Public Works can just get the Wakeman Historic Society to relent . . .  ;)

Ryan (Filasimo):  I can't wait either.  :D Thanks for stopping by!

Kevin (BigSlark):  Thanks--it can be rather tricky to find a balance between everything, especially now that university started up again for me. 

flame1396:  The delicious goods will be making their way to the LEX in only a matter of time . . . ;)  Thanks for dropping by!

sebes:  Yes, the residents on Barnaby are quite thrilled not to have the access to a major bypass running right through their front lawn. :D  Public Works is still working up a plan for Caldera Lane--the drunk engineers really made a mess beyond that wacky interchange, as you'll soon see.  ;)

Kevin (BigSlark):  Thanks for the compliments on the map, and that Belew Mountain Road really is something.  Don't worry, there will be plenty of freeway construcion here soon, especially with how things are commencing with the MIS. ;)

Joan (Jmouse):  Well, the stuff from the Wakeman map made its way into this update here--hope it was to your liking. ;) And thanks for the compliments on the highway.  I'm still trying to get everything built down in the southern part of that region.

Dustin (thundercrack83):  Thanks--glad you enjoyed these maps as well as the highway!

Ryan (Filasimo):  I would too :D  That is a rather crazy road.

bat: Thanks for the compliments!

bakerton:  I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed the whole MD thus far, and I hope this update was up to par.  Thanks!

-Alex (Tarkus)

Filasimo

great update Alex!  :thumbsup: Im always curious as to what road projects you have next!
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

bat

Jmouse

That's a very informative update, Tarkus. Since my transport systems are not usually very effective, I'll be watching closely hoping to learn some new tricks of the trade! :thumbsup:

Until next time...
Joan

Pat

Man Alex are you a city planner at all by a chance and you use SC4 to test before really building?  :D
Great update Alex and i will see you next time around - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

jplumbley

Now this is my kinda MD!  Taking smaller existing cities and expanding them, upgrading their transit systems logically and making it look as realistic as we possibly can.  Excellent work Alex, the only thing I would change.... well... I would add some more SAM in there LOL.

Oh and we must start a MD for showcasing new finds or new products in the Transit Department.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

dedgren

Tarkus-

Tarkusian Cities - Transportation planning truly pays off.

Congratulations!

The Staff
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

rooker1

Call me Robin, please.

BigSlark

Alex,

I love the great construction pics. I'm really impressed with the DOT of Tarkusian Cities, they do an excellent job of building roads before problems get out of hand.

As always, still itching for freeways,

Cheers,
Kevin

Pat

OKIEs im hoping back in here to congratulate you Alex on OSITM woohooo  :thumbsup: &apls &apls

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jmouse

Congratulations, Tarkus. Looks like I'm not the only one who sees a good transport network going on here! :thumbsup:

Until next time...
Joan

bat

Ennedi

Congratulations Alex, it's my first visit (sorry), but I see I can learn a lot here  :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Danthe

Congrats Tarkus for Awards &apls Your MD is great, I like yours communication maps :thumbsup:
I must most often look up this ;D

Shadow Assassin

Congratulations!

I can see you've got plenty planned for Wakeman.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!