• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henrys1996

Quote from: Tarkus on December 14, 2014, 01:02:02 AM
To add onto Ganaram's comments, the RHW-10C and 12S, in addition to creating a lot of complicated crosslinks, don't really add anything new to the table functionally.  The 6C and 8C already occupy the same footprint as the 10C, and the 12S has the same footprint as the 8S and 10S.  I don't think we need three different widths with the same capacity.  The idea of exploiting the higher capacity assigned to the base MHW network has been suggested, but the problem lies with split tile vs. shared tile on the diagonals.  The 10C and 12S are pretty much permanently tabled, until/unless we find some way for them to actually be useful and worth the effort.

The fact that there are no other MHW-based override networks would mean the crosslinkage would actually be quite simple.  The biggest complication is the MHW's AutoPlace tendencies for overpasses and interchanges.

-Alex

Bringing back the RHW-10C/12S topic, I personally wouldn't mind the RHW-10C and 12S having the same capacity as RHW-6C/8C and 8S/10S (respectively), but it'd be pretty cool to have them mainly for accel/decel lanes with a 8C/10S mainline. IMO, I'd be beyond satisfied with making the RHW-12S (not really finicky about 10C, I can already build 10 lanes) with puzzle-pieces, orthogonal ONLY and no over/underpass capabilities, but of course, I'm not too sure players and NAM Team dev is willing to deal with puzzle pieces again (it's all FLEX pieces for the win now), and even that sounds WAY easier said than done, I'm sure. I do wonder what a 3-tile RHW-12S would do for capacity, though, if the whole crosslinking issues could be ironed out.

roadgeek

Quote from: Tarkus on January 26, 2015, 03:38:53 PM
We're adding a ton more support for elevated ramp interfaces in NAM 33.  In fact, probably two-thirds of the existing ground setups will have elevated counterparts, which is in sharp contrast to how development has typically gone on that front.

-Alex

I am hopeful that the Inside B1 will get implemented for L3 and L4. I think that would be the last step to get some semblance of a stack interchange. Inside E1 RHW4 L3 and L4 would be even better, because they would work quite nicely with the FlexFly. A single 1 or 2 level onslope MIS to L2 is much nicer than bringing an RHW4 L3 or L4 all the way to ground level, just to make a 90o right turn.

c0rnh0li0

Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong thread. Just point me in the right direction to get this question answered.

Is there a method to getting the RHW bridges to match seamlessly w/the RHW? Some bridges are only prompted when using the maxis hwy tool. Others w/the RHW tool. I'm trying to get a 6 lane bridge. But the only way to get one is with the maxis hwy tool, which converts to 4 lanes once it hits land. I can't find any transition pieces that work.

eggman121

Quote from: c0rnh0li0 on February 03, 2015, 01:24:30 PM
Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong thread. Just point me in the right direction to get this question answered.

Is there a method to getting the RHW bridges to match seamlessly w/the RHW? Some bridges are only prompted when using the maxis hwy tool. Others w/the RHW tool. I'm trying to get a 6 lane bridge. But the only way to get one is with the maxis hwy tool, which converts to 4 lanes once it hits land. I can't find any transition pieces that work.

You just drag in the applicable RHW 6S into the Bridge ends and than that should make the connection. No need for the Puzzle pieces.

-eggman121

pierreh

In my experience, there is a caveat: a 6S bridge will only be built if it is of sufficient length. How long it has to be, I can't say, because I didn't try all possibilities, but it is not possible to get a 6S bridge to be built over narrow rivers.

c0rnh0li0

When I try to do it, I get a blank space between the RHW & the bridge.

joshua43214

Quote from: c0rnh0li0 on February 04, 2015, 01:17:39 PM

This happens when any type of starter piece is plopped 2 tiles from the bridge (the tile next to the bridge stub).
Just make sure you plop a starter or transition so it is 3 or more tiles from the bridge.

Any S type (like RHW 6S) will just drag right to the bridge.

-Josh

c0rnh0li0

Quote from: joshua43214 on February 04, 2015, 02:16:41 PM
Quote from: c0rnh0li0 on February 04, 2015, 01:17:39 PM

This happens when any type of starter piece is plopped 2 tiles from the bridge (the tile next to the bridge stub).
Just make sure you plop a starter or transition so it is 3 or more tiles from the bridge.

Any S type (like RHW 6S) will just drag right to the bridge.

-Josh

Got it. That worked. Next question: Is it possible to build a RHW 6s diagonal bridge? The connector is always a 4 lane & I can't figure out how to change it.

roadgeek

Quote from: c0rnh0li0 on February 05, 2015, 09:38:04 PM
Got it. That worked. Next question: Is it possible to build a RHW 6s diagonal bridge? The connector is always a 4 lane & I can't figure out how to change it.

Over land or water?

c0rnh0li0

Quote from: roadgeek on March 10, 2015, 07:58:25 AM

Over land or water?

I think it was land. I posted this over a month ago w/no response so I just moved on. But I would like to know for future reference.

roadgeek

Quote from: c0rnh0li0 on March 11, 2015, 09:08:59 AM
Quote from: roadgeek on March 10, 2015, 07:58:25 AM

Over land or water?

I think it was land. I posted this over a month ago w/no response so I just moved on. But I would like to know for future reference.

Have you tried dragging an RHW from an elevated ortho 6S?

bremnertx

Not to come off impatient, but was wondering how far off are the Nam team in releasing NAM33?  I understand that you guys do not usually or probably do not want to state a release date, but I am just excited for its release.  I am writing in hopes that you can give  us a little info.  Thanks for EVERYTHING you guys do to make this game much more fun after every release!!   

Tarkus

Development on NAM 33 is actually at the "feature freeze" state, in that we've stopped adding content.  But we haven't put all the parts together into any semblance of a complete build, and RL has slammed a bunch of us (present company included) pretty hard in recent months.  Because everything is kind of scattered--both content-wise and personnel-wise--it's really hard to tell when NAM 33 will be released.  It's going to take getting through what looks to be a very painful integration phase in our release engineering before we have any idea internally.

-Alex

Jack_wilds

well here is hoping it can all come together with at little soap opera as possible...  ;)

and then, to be released sooner than expected on the LEX...  :thumbsup:

go NAM 33   :bnn:

standing by in the mean time  :popcorn:

cmdp123789

Well, at least its good to know that there will be a NAM 33, and that you guys are still working on it.. On another subject, are you considering leaving sc4 as xannepan did? or are you standing on the sc4 in terms of continuity and future projects?

Tarkus

Quote from: cmdp123789 on March 11, 2015, 06:39:42 PM
Well, at least its good to know that there will be a NAM 33, and that you guys are still working on it.. On another subject, are you considering leaving sc4 as xannepan did? or are you standing on the sc4 in terms of continuity and future projects?

Personally, I'm not planning on leaving SC4 at present, especially as I don't yet own Cities: Skylines.  I do really like what I've seen from Paradox/CO, and plan to purchase it in the near future--Tropod is egging me on. :D  Quite a few NAMites have already purchased it and started sizing up the transport side of things, so in sharp contrast to what happened with CX(X)L and previous post-SC4 SimCity titles, it might well be that the NAM Team has an official C:S presence.  As you might have also noticed, SC4D has taken the unprecedented step of giving C:S a prominent subforum, which we never did with any of the previous titles.  The sense is that this game is in fact the mythical "SC5".

I can't speak with any certainty as to what might happen after I pick up C:S--RL's probably going to be a bigger factor than anything--but as someone of the "retro gamer" bent, SC4 has become a classic, and I've personally invested a lot in it.  It's not going to magically vanish, and I want to see the SC4 NAM tradition continue.

-Alex

eggman121

I am going to settle some things down now!!!  ::)

Quote from: eggman121 on March 11, 2015, 08:11:14 PM

Why stop the NAM for a new game when we have come this far. Yes I am not going to tell you by words but rather by pictures. What are your impressions?

Not a definite certainty but I'm pretty sure these will make it in  ;)

-eggman121

GDO29Anagram

Let's hope our flood insurance covers accidental peeing and overkill drooling this time. If not...

Mops, towels, and washcloths are over at the left, where the bathrooms are. Buckets to catch your drool are down the hall. Rubber boots to prevent electrocution are to your right. The circuit breaker's at the back of the building, and the emergency backup generator should keep things up and running for about a few hours, at at best. Giant squeegees to push excess drool away are also where the rubber boots are, and be sure to push it all through the side entrance and not into the lobby; I just had the carpet changed last week.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Tarkus

We may want to add additional coverage.  A Tarkusian BYSOI (Blow Your Socks Off Interchange) will be making a landing shortly . . . party like it's 2007.  8-)

-Alex

vinlabsc3k

Help me!!...
Someone throw me...
a lifebelt!...
I'm drowning...
in my drool!! :o
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!