• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Commonwealth of Marathon

Started by thundercrack83, November 05, 2008, 02:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badsim

Hey Dustin ! I missed that great event ! Welcome to this rewarding adventure MDing is ... &apls &apls &apls

Great start , and same first advice than Owen ; upload mikeseith automatas untill there's no original & outdated ones anymore ! ;)

Quote from: thundercrack83 on November 06, 2008, 12:08:14 PM

While I do plan to employ this procedural, step-by-step method for certain aspects and areas, I will also intersperse updates with random pictures from here-and-there to keep things not only interesting, but also from becoming an "exercise," for lack of a better term.

... and you're so right ! I love "making of" views , real pictures , side notes and so on .  :thumbsup:

And good luck with your own statistics now , among ... your statistics .   ;D

Cédric.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

praiodan

Very interesting update, Dustin. It's very well done, how you show the way how you terraformed that island just after your own thoughts. Though, for my very personal taste the coast lines are very straight-lined... but I'm sure you'll do come up with some good developements there.  :)

Tarkus

Dustin, wow!  It's great to see you finally entering the MD realm yourself.  I had seen a few of your "test" pics over in 3RR over the past few months and was impressed by those, so I'm excited to see more of your work with the game.  The teaser pics were a great introduction--some very creative Photoshopping and obviously some inventive transportational stuff going on. 

The first official update was fascinating as well--you really do have an interesting way of regional terraforming, and it was great following it in such detail. 

And I'd concur with Cédric here on mikeseith's automata.  I've been using them for quite some time myself.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have in store for us . . . the mention of a DOT, plus that little grid map of the island really piqued my interest. :)

-Alex (Tarkus)

south park

hi my friend ,great start on your MD and excellent terraforming I have hâte to see your future city !! :) &apls

vincent
cairo and tropicalia (my cities) on tsc:
http://toutsimcity.com/forums.php?viewthread=441267

Yoman

I was going to suggest mikeseith as well, but Cedric beat me to it. Any idea what seawalls you are going to use?

Zaphod

Marathon is going to be a really epic city, I know it.

I applaud your effort in forming all those coastlines there, I tried the same thing once and got sick of doing it like 15 minutes later. Go ahead, take away my simcity geek card...
War Kittens !?

Ryan B.

You're quite the sandbagger, Dustin!  I had no idea you were going to start a MD! 

This was a very informative first update - I learned something I didn't know!

Best of luck, and you can be sure I'll stay tuned!

turtle

Nice work on the terraforming. I too like to be let in at the very start of the region and be able to follow the whole process. Only criticism I can think of is maybe the flatness of the island, but I guess that's the cost of a metropolis. Looking forward to more.
My name is Thomas...

Lilojame

Hi again!

I am very glad to see that the update has been launched! I personaly find your approach to the teraforming very fresh, precise and interesting and am there-for pleasantly surprised.
The only thing that bothers me in this first update is you statement, let me quote: "my playing skills are mediocre at best, laughable at worst". Dont put yourself down and let us be the judge of that.  ;) For now nothing even slightly proves your statement for what you shown thus far shows a person who is good at planing and making the plans alive with dedication, precision and imagination. So in all ways:  :thumbsup:

Looking foward to see how the Marathon evolves!

Visit my MD Rainbow Falls or check Rainbow Falls Out of the Box or maybe check on my bats&lots visiting Lilojame´s Corner or if you wish go to Lilojame´s Candidacies.

"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life. The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray."  (Byron, 1788-1824)

CarmineHilton

OMG, Fabulous terraforming! Must have taken quite some time to do =p
Anyway.. Good to see that you finally took the plunge and started out your very own MD!
I'm sure with everything you've seen from other MD's, you'll make up the perfect mix and blow us all away XD

Can't wait to see what's up next =) embankments?

metarvo

I might have to try that method of terraforming some day.  I look forward to seeing your seawalls, despite the fact that I am no good at using seawalls in my own cities.   :-[  A good update, Dustin.  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Sheep49

OK, great update! I wonder how much did it take for you to terraform this island &Thk/( I have to say that I like the fact you have planned everything on paper first. I wanted to do the same with my city once, but the effect was terrible to say the least ::) But hey! You are pretty good at it. In fact, I'll try to do this again :P

Advice of a day from Sheep49: If I were you, I'd build the seaport in the south of the island. Most of the central islands of cities (e.g. Manhattan in New York) have seaports on them, and I think it would look nice. Now I'm being quiet, because I don't want to bore you :D

Great MD and update! I'll come back for more, definitely! $%Grinno$%
Piotr
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

alan_vzla

Tough I don't precisely enjoy terraforming updates, I'll have to say: GREAT UPDATE! Just one question, I noticed that in your god-mode toolbar, more exactly the sub-menu showed on pic.15 (game pics) you have some tools that flood the depressions or something like that, may I ask where did you get them?

Anyway, great update and looking forward to more of this very promessing MD

Simpson

Hi Dustin
This is an excelent update, It's what I call a incredible terraforming

This is very good to see the progression of your region who is really splendid
Fantastic work my friend, and also I'm looking forward to the next update
Bye, David :)
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

bat

Fantastic start there of your MD there!

And great first pictures, too!
Beautiful first update, Dustin!

Looking forward to more of Commonwealth of Marathon... ;)

bluesinjid

Wow really good cj here my friend! U really took the time to terraform that island it must have took for ages!

thundercrack83

Pat: Thanks for comin' back, my friend! I'm glad you enjoyed the first update!

Earth quake: "Crossroads"--I understand now! And, yes, my terrain mod is the CPT Italia Terrain Mod by c.p. Thanks for stopping in!

Cédric (Badsim): Hello and welcome! It's such an honor to have you come by here! Thanks for your advice on the automata--I've downloaded a bunch of them by mikeseith. Hope to see you again!

Lars (praiodan): Thank you, Lars!

Alex (Tarkus): Welcome, Alex! Thanks for your great comments, my friend! I look forward to seeing you around here!

south park: Hello and welcome! Thank you for your kind words!

Owen (Yoman): Which seawalls, eh? You pose an interesting question...

Zaphod: Thanks! And don't feel bad, I've wanted to smack my head against the wall a few times doing that kind of terraforming. It can be pretty nerve-wracking.

Ryan (burgsabre87): Hey, Ryan! Thanks for stopping in! And I'm glad you learned something, too!

turtle: Hi! As for the flatness--it's hard to tell from the region view, but there are a few elevation differences on the island, but we'll get to those! Thanks for coming by!

Lilojame: Thank you so much for your support! It's comments like yours that help me get my MD legs and gain some confidence!

CarmineHilton: Hey! Thanks for stopping in! I hope to be able to do things only half as well as the great MD authors here, such as yourself!

metarvo: Thanks, my friend! And good luck with the terraforming!

Piotr (Sheep49): Hello! It took quite a number of hours to do all the terraforming, if you count in how many times I had to stop and walk away from frustration!

alan_vzla: I'll actually have to get back to you on those extra buttons in God mode. I'll send you a PM when I have your answer. Thanks for ocming by!

Simpson: Bonjour! Thank for your lovely comments!

bat: Welcome, my friend! Thanks so much!

bluesinjid: Indeed, it took quite a while! Thanks for stopping by!

OK, just a quick teaser for now...

For those that missed the question that Owen (Yoman) asked above:

Quote from: Yoman on November 06, 2008, 03:27:41 PM
... Any idea what seawalls you are going to use?

That's where we'll head next update--possibly later tonight, but definitely by tomorrow!

See you then!

kimcar

Geez , a lot of work for doing a great island like this one.  &apls &aplsAnd very interesting how you done that . Thanks for sharing  and can`t wait for your update :thumbsup:

Pat

Hey Dustin now your pickin up on the teasin game lol!!! That is a good teaser there at that!!!  I cant wait to see the seawall devolpment!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Earth quake

Wow,
This simply Fabulous.

I like your teaser and you have a big choice of a splendid american Bat. ( ;D)

Just Excellent.