• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Kolbrow (13.10.2019 - Olsza - a mosaic)

Started by kbieniu7, October 09, 2008, 11:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

That small village around the river is really cool. Nice work with the vegetation, lots of good details.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Nanami

Lovely done rural area visualization in SC4! and happy anniversary!

kbieniu7

Hello, everybody! Long time nothing there (even visiting the forum). Manga rivotra, compdude787, Themistokles, Arthur and Nanami, thank you for your comments :) Yes, I spent quite lot of time over that vegetation and fiels... anyway, I've been playing some SimCity, but not created anything finished enough... so, let's see some work-in-progress shots maybe?

I'm going to introduce an area west from Kolbrów, near town of Krzemień. There is a coal power plant that powers the capital. It was build long time ago and became, let's say, a condensation nuclei. I often have such gaming type, that build something small (a castle, a village, an industrial facility) and after that spend hours on shaping its environment according to rule "ah, let's just make a little bit here, and a little bit here" until I get bored ;)

Starting point – an empty terrain near the power plant with a small junction rail station.  It became a main point of a village, so I started to zone housing areas along roads with as "organic" layout as possible.

Let's turn on the simulation. After housings get built, I pause the game and use query tool with "add to history" for every house. Without it, soon there are too wealthy houses going to pop, that I don't want to have them.

Next we need to shape the surrounding terrain, what of course means farm fields. I usually make them as long and thin rectangular-shaped for two reasons: firstly, it's easier to obey the grid. Secondly, that's how farm fields in Poland mostly look like.

The problem is by diagonal streets. It's hard to make good-looking edges there. I made my few lots to fit to roadby grass, however it's quite annoying to scroll and look for them in the menu.

Once we have our fields finished (what is the most time-consuming phase), there is time to plop some vegetation. I use different "mixtures" for different areas (mountains, river valleys, highlands etc.), but I usually start with CP deciduous trees, then girafe's birches, oaks and conifiers. In some areas I use xannepan's terrain paint for dry grass, so there is possibility for nice winter/early-spring snowless photos.

Some rivers or streams would be a good addition to.

Firstly I plop water tiles, then some cattails at banks and some Heblem's dirt.

It is not so-over-detailed with all types of grass and bushes as could be, but I've been lazy there and, what is more, I (and you) will probably look at this river only from satellite view :D

And that's a part of the area finished. 

Well, that's all. Next time, I'll try to show more of finished area... I hope ;)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Krasner

I still love your sceneries, it's nice to see how you work on it  :) The general atmosphere in this entry reminds me of the large, gusty, empty plains east of my town, where small villages and huge facilities pop out here and there.
ANARCHIST !!

Nanami

Another nice update!  :thumbsup:  it's interesting to see WIP updates like this show how people play SC4 and I admit the part to mark ALL house as historical is same with how I done.  $%Grinno$% . In the end it does looks really well done!  &apls

feyss

I travelled to Krakow and Warsaw last November (and I really loved it BTW  ;) ) and during my train journey between those two cities, I just thought about your MD. Seeing the same kind of long narrow fields out of the train window reminded me about it. I now understand better how you build your rural areas. That's just another touch of realism that makes me love your work even more  :thumbsup:

art128

Nice work. These long and thin rectangular fields are a beauty.

Props & Texture Catalog

brick_mortimer

Beautiful!

I have a soft spot for rural scenes and it's very interesting to see some WIP shots  :)
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

siemanthepieman

This a great MD all round, but I especially like the WIP updates which a good insight into what goes on behind the scenes.

I am currently populating my region with farms and your work has given me an idea - I could use a few custom seasonal diagonal field fillers (I think I will try to base mine on the SFBT fillers with woods and fences). You might get a PM from me when I get stuck!

Anyway, looking forward to the next update.

carlfatal

Ha, I wasn´t here for a while also, seems many of us haven´t enough time for the really essential things...  $%Grinno$%

But you did some nice work again, and well, your MD is one of my all time favorites. It looks like Poland in Google Maps, and I can imagine, that this is, what you wanted to achieve. You did it.  &apls

Also very nice work on the "river". It looks perfect!  :thumbsup:

kbieniu7

Hello everybody! How did you spend the Easter time? I haven't been there for a while... so, let's start with some brief replies:

Krasner - Thank you! Well, that's exactly I wanted to recreate, however maybe not the actual French landscape :D
Nanami - And doing this to all of them is quite tiring after a while, isn't it? ;) Thanks!
feyss - Hah, even in RL you think of SimCity? Well, me too sometimes, to be honest :D Thanks you!
Arthur - Thanks!
brick_mortimer - And you're going to see more of rurality there! ;)
siemanthepieman - Thank you very much! I'm glad that inspired you! :)
Carl - Well, to be honest - yes. I spend a lot of time in front of Google Earth trying to figure out as many landscape details as possible. Danke! :)
korver - Thank you for your kind words! So, I hope that you will also have this "urge" and produce some other of yours amazing scenes by yourself ;)

And now to the photos! As I said (almost two months ago), I'm going to present you some shots of the same area, but now finished. That's generally some rural areas around town of Krzemień (not shown yet and probably remain unveiled in the nearest future) and a power plant.

1. We start in a small village of Marianka. There's an old small chapel at the intersection and a school with a football field behind.

2. There's also a railway and an old farm by a stream.

3. Spring has come! Some people decided to make a camping by the stream... By the way, that's not just a random stream. It's Prądnik, that 4 kilometres further flows trough our rocky natural reserve that we saw a year ago ;)

4. Entire village of Marianka.

5. And now something, I've been working on for the first time. Once inspired by Vizoria's limestone quarries (thank you for inspiration!), I tried for long time to find my way to. After few months, I've finally managed to create one that I'm satisfied with.

6. Following the tradition - a real-life counterpart! Although nothing interesting visible, that's the only photo I took there.

7. Stone pits hidden in the forest are created with ionionion's limestone quarry,Jenx's terrain paint, Heblem's dirt (I guess it's in his tropical flora pack, but I'm not sure), its modification made by FrankU and rocks.

8. And there are more of them in the area! As we have seen a year ago, the ground and rocks there are in big part made limestone. It is visible trough lot of sharp and rocky hills, single left-overs made of rocks that are more resistent to water and those already mentioned stone pits.

9. For the last one today something I mentioned in the last WIP update: a power plant! I made it around 4 years ago, it was just staying in the empty space wainting for its better times. It's a small coal-powered plant with its own water reservoir for cooling purposes. Although the location for this reservoir is completely unrealistic (it all lays practically on the water drainage divide!) it stayed so... well, 4 years ago I didn't think about proper water management so much as today ;)

And that's not the end! Stay tuned for the next week, yet more to come! ;)

praiodan

Beautiful pictures of a beautiful village! The camping site by the stream is very nicely set, it certainly is a wonderfully quiet place.  :thumbsup: Having seen quite a bunch of limestone quarries myself I must say you nailed it very well. Also nice work on the coal power plant! Nevermind the reservoir, as long as it "works".  ::) $%Grinno$% :thumbsup:

Vizoria

Great rural scenes and that limestone quarry is fantastic. Good job mixing in terrain brushes with dirt MMPs and some coniferous trees!

_Michael

brick_mortimer

Beautiful as always!  &apls

Where can I find the the small chapel in the 1st picture?
Or did you make it yourself?

It reminds me a lot of small roadside chapels in Belgium.
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

art128

Looks really fine! That power plant is interesting. Though I have to admit I have never been a fan of EL cooling towers. Perhaps you could take a look at Bipin's cooling tower, i believe it looks much better despite being smaller.

Props & Texture Catalog

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________

Akallan

Excellent as usual! Beautiful river and MMP work! ;D
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

kbieniu7

Hello!  Thanks for the comments, I'll answer each one individually later,  cause I'm on a phone posting a message from Poznań where I have gone for a weekend ;)

1. The previously mentioned dam. In fact, for the moment there are three dams in Galand, this one is the smallest. In reality it should also have a spillway (at least an emergency one), but you know - it's a game ;)

2.Below the dam there is a stream that merges with another one and flows under a road bridge on the national road no 3.

3. It flows further down.

4. Further view on the area. The National Road leads to Koszyce

5. A small station in a village actually a kilometer away from what we've just seen. Just a random shot there.

6. Power plant and its proximities.

7. And finally the long time not shown region view

I wish the region view could show more details. The area that I have shown now is quite detailed, I just cannot post dozens of photos of just one tile, showing everything almost the same...

Anyway: enjoy! :)