• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

New NAM Logo: Development

Started by ChiefZDN, May 02, 2017, 08:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefZDN

Hello everyone,

I, as a graphic designer is making a new NAM logo replacing the old one. This logo will emphasize the lastest contribution, especially from RHW. I will create 3 designs here:

The NAM Team & you will rate these 3 designs. If you've suggestions, just reply this topic.

Thank you.

mgb204

How do I put this?, the NAM team is not a democracy. To become a member, you must be invited to join the team. Therefore it's logo is not a free for all where anyone can just contribute a new design or vote to decide on a new one. If you have something you think is particularly "cool" or whatever, you are free to ask us to consider it. However, we are also free to keep using the one we have too.

Personally I'd like to think unlike the myriad of businesses that feel the need to re-brand every few years, usually at great expense, that the NAM team was above such things.

APSMS

@ChiefZDN, I think you are solving a non-problem.

The NAM Team doesn't really need a new logo (why would they?) and if you ask me it already resembles a diagonal cloverleaf. It's more representational than anything else, as the NAM logo is really only used to indicate NAM Team members in user avatars. Changing it just means people have to re-learn it.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

_Michael

"If it 'ain't broke, then don't fix it."
That's my attitude with most things in life, with this certainly being included.
Honourable thought, but a thought nonetheless.

Simmer2

Your effort to change core things are commendable however like my team members have so eloquently explained, "never leave the old road for a new one" you know what you left but don't know what you will find.

Michaels' quote is also spot on "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Simmer2
________________________________________________________________________________

Silur

It's a waste of time. I don't think it is necessary to offer its services to those who do not need it.
Maybe You'll open your own thread - may be as "Design from ChiefZDN" or another ... for people who need it. I think there are. Show them your product and development... Good luck...

Tarkus

In case anyone is wondering the history behind the current NAM logo, it was designed by MadSim back in 2005--here is the original post (albeit the images are now missing--I do have the originals stashed somewhere, however).  Curiously, there actually was a "voting" thread shortly thereafter, with the options narrowed down to a few finalists, but oddly enough, MadSim's now iconic design wasn't among those, as unfathomable as that may seem.

One of the NAM Team's mottoes over the years has been "functionality first", and our take on logos and the like has reflected that.  When MadSim submitted his logo, the NAM had been around for well over a year, and was already on Version 18.  We've had a few fans of the project over the years submit unsolicited attempts at new logos since then, and while we appreciate their enthusiasm, logos have never really been a huge priority for us.  We're still pretty fond of our existing logo--the only time we ever really "changed" it was for an April Fools' Day prank in 2013, and even the "update" was very close to the original (aside from the inclusion of an EA logo as part of it):

Quote from: Tarkus on April 01, 2013, 01:58:48 AM
EA To Acquire The NAM Team, Open New Studio

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., April 1, 2013 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced an agreement to acquire The NAM Team, the developer behind the popular Network Addon Mod™, RealHighway Mod™, and High Speed Rail Project™, for EA Maxis' 2003 blockbuster, SimCity 4 Deluxe.

"EA and NAM is a compelling combination", said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau.  "The NAM Team's continued dedication to SimCity 4 from EA's Maxis label, some 10 years after its release, is truly remarkable.  As EA is an online company, and the NAM has always been distributed online, the two are a perfect fit."

The NAM Team is one of the most respected custom content developers for SimCity 4, founded in 2004 as The Modd Squad, by three members of Simtropolis.com.  Today, their flagship Network Addon Mod™ is considered "essential" by most SimCity 4 players, and has accumulated millions of downloads from users worldwide.

EA will pay approximately 250 $10 Starbucks® Gift Cards, and 50 orders of Tandoori Chicken.  As part of the agreement, the NAM will now be delivered exclusively on Origin™, EA's digital distribution channel.  The NAM Controller™, the heart of the Network Addon Mod, will be hosted on the Origin cloud, in order to minimize strain on lower-end computers.  Due to The NAM Team's strong presence in the state of Oregon, EA will be opening a new studio for The NAM Team on the Oregon high desert, in Burns, Oregon.  The NAM Team will become a label of EA, and will be formally known as EA NAM Burns.

A new logo was also unveiled for the new label.

While the NAM Team is not in the market for a new logo, I wouldn't stop your project of trying to design some possible new ones.  I think Silur's suggestion of creating logos for those in the community who are looking for them is a sound one.  Your attempts at new NAM logos would actually be a good way to build up a portfolio of sample work, so potential clients will have some idea as to your design style. 

You're clearly passionate about our community--it's just a matter of finding your niche here.

-Alex

ChiefZDN

Quote from: _Michael on May 03, 2017, 09:14:04 AM
"If it 'ain't broke, then don't fix it."
That's my attitude with most things in life, with this certainly being included.
Honourable thought, but a thought nonetheless.

Yes, that quotation is applied here. Don't worry. I'm just change the cloverleaf in the design 1 with circular cloverleaf. It's showcases the lastest contribution, especially from RHW. I'm also change the RHW logo and some other logos (don't worry, Expressway Addon Mod isn't targeted). The logo, still uses yellow color.

ChiefZDN

Quote from: Tarkus on May 03, 2017, 04:54:01 PM
In case anyone is wondering the history behind the current NAM logo, it was designed by MadSim back in 2005--here is the original post (albeit the images are now missing--I do have the originals stashed somewhere, however).  Curiously, there actually was a "voting" thread shortly thereafter, with the options narrowed down to a few finalists, but oddly enough, MadSim's now iconic design wasn't among those, as unfathomable as that may seem.

One of the NAM Team's mottoes over the years has been "functionality first", and our take on logos and the like has reflected that.  When MadSim submitted his logo, the NAM had been around for well over a year, and was already on Version 18.  We've had a few fans of the project over the years submit unsolicited attempts at new logos since then, and while we appreciate their enthusiasm, logos have never really been a huge priority for us.  We're still pretty fond of our existing logo--the only time we ever really "changed" it was for an April Fools' Day prank in 2013, and even the "update" was very close to the original (aside from the inclusion of an EA logo as part of it):

Quote from: Tarkus on April 01, 2013, 01:58:48 AM
EA To Acquire The NAM Team, Open New Studio

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., April 1, 2013 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced an agreement to acquire The NAM Team, the developer behind the popular Network Addon Mod™, RealHighway Mod™, and High Speed Rail Project™, for EA Maxis' 2003 blockbuster, SimCity 4 Deluxe.

"EA and NAM is a compelling combination", said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau.  "The NAM Team's continued dedication to SimCity 4 from EA's Maxis label, some 10 years after its release, is truly remarkable.  As EA is an online company, and the NAM has always been distributed online, the two are a perfect fit."

The NAM Team is one of the most respected custom content developers for SimCity 4, founded in 2004 as The Modd Squad, by three members of Simtropolis.com.  Today, their flagship Network Addon Mod™ is considered "essential" by most SimCity 4 players, and has accumulated millions of downloads from users worldwide.

EA will pay approximately 250 $10 Starbucks® Gift Cards, and 50 orders of Tandoori Chicken.  As part of the agreement, the NAM will now be delivered exclusively on Origin™, EA's digital distribution channel.  The NAM Controller™, the heart of the Network Addon Mod, will be hosted on the Origin cloud, in order to minimize strain on lower-end computers.  Due to The NAM Team's strong presence in the state of Oregon, EA will be opening a new studio for The NAM Team on the Oregon high desert, in Burns, Oregon.  The NAM Team will become a label of EA, and will be formally known as EA NAM Burns.

A new logo was also unveiled for the new label.

While the NAM Team is not in the market for a new logo, I wouldn't stop your project of trying to design some possible new ones.  I think Silur's suggestion of creating logos for those in the community who are looking for them is a sound one.  Your attempts at new NAM logos would actually be a good way to build up a portfolio of sample work, so potential clients will have some idea as to your design style. 

You're clearly passionate about our community--it's just a matter of finding your niche here.

-Alex

Haha, good April Fools.  :thumbsup: I'm also will compare the old logo legibility (can you send the logo? It's must pure. Not in thumbnail). If my logo legibility is low, I'll make it better.

ChiefZDN

The logo itself is 90% completed. Just preparing the logo for distributions. However, there is one problem, can't bulk layers exports to SVG files. As I know, it can only do it in vanilla Inkscape with PNG files. Can you help me?

APSMS

Worse comes to worst you could always take a screenshot as a proof of concept until you can figure out your program.

I'm not really even sure what program you're using, because you haven't specified. Is it Inkscape, or something else?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

ChiefZDN

Quote from: APSMS on May 04, 2017, 09:52:36 PM
Worse comes to worst you could always take a screenshot as a proof of concept until you can figure out your program.

I'm not really even sure what program you're using, because you haven't specified. Is it Inkscape, or something else?

Yes, I'm using Inkscape. I even couldn't find that option so I can't screenshot it.

vortext

Quote from: ChiefZDN on May 05, 2017, 01:47:35 AM

Yes, I'm using Inkscape. I even couldn't find that option so I can't screenshot it.

Maybe this is of use? Inkscape export layers extension
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

ChiefZDN

Quote from: vortext on May 05, 2017, 02:13:30 AM
Quote from: ChiefZDN on May 05, 2017, 01:47:35 AM

Maybe this is of use? Inkscape export layers extension

No, I'm mean is SVG to plain SVGs export. There is a plugin to accomplish that, but doesn't work in my installation.

ChiefZDN

I was tried any technique to export logo but still failed. Sorry, I'm give up. So, I'll give all the project raw files to you, but you must can be trusted and you're have experience with Inkscape. If you willing to help me, just PM me and I'll give you project raw files. This isn't my fault. This is Inkscape fault. Inkscape doesn't have easy exporting feature.

Thank you.

Glazert

I see from my copy of Inkscape that under the Save As menu item in the File menu there listed is under the "Save as type:" selector a "Layers as Separate SVG (*tar)" option.

_Michael

Quote from: ChiefZDN on May 07, 2017, 02:24:41 AM
I was tried any technique to export logo but still failed. Sorry, I'm give up. So, I'll give all the project raw files to you, but you must can be trusted and you're have experience with Inkscape. If you willing to help me, just PM me and I'll give you project raw files. This isn't my fault. This is Inkscape fault. Inkscape doesn't have easy exporting feature.

Thank you.
If you want to export from inkscape, you can export as a PNG - that's good enough to show us.

ChiefZDN

Finally, the design 1 is released! The sneak peak is in attachment. If you want to download, just visit https://github.com/chiefzdn/new-nam-logo:thumbsup:

Want to vote? Please answer in a reply!

EDIT: I can't post poll here. So, I correct the statement.

Blue Lightning

What the...?

Also hello just dropping by to see how things are. This was a curious find.  ???
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Terring7

If the NAM team prefer its current logo, you should respect their decision. But if you like making new designs so much, why not making new textures for roads and other transit systems and show them to the NAM team, or making a dependency set of textures for new lots, or making textures for cars and other automata? ;)
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.