• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Released: SAM-7 Asphalt Street Textures (Hableurg) Override

Started by Catalyst, August 07, 2014, 09:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

Great work so far, I look forward to future updates and hopefully a release of these, they would fit well in my British cities. Are you planning on full LHD drive support beyond the roundabout itself? If that's too much work for no gain, I'd be happily do the texture work to make it happen. I've also got plenty of templates for making crossings from my Sandstone Euro NAM work so if you wanted some help with textures for these, please get in touch.

Kergelen

I always wanted to see bike lanes in SC4! Nice textures, especially the roundabouts &apls

I just return from Stockholm where I have used quite a lot the bike lines and I really like the idea to have bike lanes in SC4.

I would suggest to add some textures with bike signs on the floor.

In addition, to complet the set, it would be great to make a T21 mod to add some "static" bikes on the lanes.... &Thk/( although the cars run over bikes.

Links to SC4 websites

noahclem

I'm so happy it turns out bikes and cars share the space--I really liked the way this looks and when I tried to draw up an alternative I couldn't achieve the same quality. I have a few bike lanes for SC4 drawn up but all mine are crazy at best compared to this  &hlp

Catalyst

Welcome to the 4th update !

I like to thank people for their good deeds so here we go:
Simcoug,MandelSoft,Durfsurn,Swordmaster,Indiana Joe,FrankU,belfastsocrates & noahclem:
thank you for your kind words, it's really boosting my motivation ;-)
I've been working on a sidewalk-mod, here some pics for you:

MandelSoft again, thanks for explaining! That is exactly what I had in mind.

APSMS: yep, americans really don't like bikes, they prefer their pickup-trucks and usually it's just too hot + too many mosquitos haha.
You were right about the street-road intersection so I made a new one:

(x400)better?

Wiimeiser:that would be great, it was hard to choose which set to override as I like most of them. The current SAM-7 is often used in industrial areas so it would be nice to keep that one as well but I really have no idea how to implement more than 10 variation (0-9) as the IID is limited to 8 digits, the 6th digit identifies the variation and by adding an 11th SAM with 6th digit 10 you would add a 9th digit to the IID...
But hey, we should be thankful for all the great stuff the NAM people made for us so Thanks a lot if YOU (whoever reads this) are part of the NAM team!

mgb204: I hope to release it before the next decade so check this thread out every couple of months ;-) I wasn't planning a LHD support, I hadn't even thought about it, the roundabout was an accident as the game mirrored the texture for streets that connect to the other half of the roundabout's side. But as there is a demand (even if it's just you) I would feel bad leeving you empty-handed, so I would gladly accept you help, maybe we can even make a collaborative thing out of it as you seem to be pretty active with uploading mods the past weeks (btw I really like the rural GLR!). Right now I'm at 11/80 textures (maybe there's also a way to implement wide radius curves?)so I'm pretty slow compared to you but if you like I can pm you my stuff so that you can check it out and we'll see how it all works out.

Kergelen: I miss bike lanes too, the pedmalls are great but sadly residential buildings don't work with them so I decided to put the lanes on streets like they are in many countries, especially in europe.I have added bike-signs to the road-street intersection but the smaller you make it the blurred it becomes as you have only few pixels to work with!
I would love to make a fitting t-21 with bikes but that is for the future, first I want to finish the textures and untill then you can use jeronij's "Street Side Mod for SAM": (http://www.sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1364).
In one of the pictures below you can see a biker I pasted onto the street from Murimk's Bicycle Props: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/25681-murimk-bicycle-props-with-mmp-bikers/.
They are great but a little to big as the one in the picture was actually resized using gimp.

Progress!

diagonal to straight transition

(the biker is gimp'd)

new 4-way intersection piece for smoother transition to other SAM's:

I also modified the alpha's for all pieces:

(frankU, yes, I used the texture from "silva" for the grass, it's beautiful!)

and the new road-street intersection in-game:

[tabular type=8 caption="31 August 2014: Progress SAM-7
Textures : 11/80"]
[row] [head]Category[/head] [head]Value[/head][/row]
[row] [data]4 way intersections[/data]
[data]1/10[/data]  [/row]
[row] [data]Ave Intersections[/data] [data]0/8[/data]  [/row]
[row] [data]Diagonals[/data] [data]
3/27[/data]  [/row]
[row] [data]Rail[/data] [data]0/6[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Roundabouts[/data] [data]
2/4[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Standards[/data] [data]
5/5 [/data][/row]
[row] [data]T intersections[/data] [data]0/12[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Transitions[/data] [data]0/8[/data] [/row]
[/tabular]

Thanks for all your inputs!

p.s. only 9 people found the hidden RAIN pictures in the last update so thanks to all of them for reading my post thoroughly and till the end!

Durfsurn

I'm sure the NAM Team can find some room for this somewhere (I'm not sure what the state the SAM IID wise is in - can anyone else give more info? )

Again great work :)

-Billy

art128

Quote from: Durfsurn on August 31, 2014, 04:51:49 AM
I'm sure the NAM Team can find some room for this somewhere

If you're talking about in integration in the NAM, please make sure the mod will be working as intended. I don't want to see another stand-alone SAM work ruined by its integration in the NAM installer.
--

Wonderful work on the textures. I love the roundabout.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Simcoug

progress!  Looking great, and I like your work on the sidewalk mod.   &apls

Kergelen

Great progress so far! &apls

Quote from: Catalyst on August 31, 2014, 04:41:43 AM
Kergelen: I miss bike lanes too, the pedmalls are great but sadly residential buildings don't work with them so I decided to put the lanes on streets like they are in many countries, especially in europe.I have added bike-signs to the road-street intersection but the smaller you make it the blurred it becomes as you have only few pixels to work with!
I would love to make a fitting t-21 with bikes but that is for the future, first I want to finish the textures and untill then you can use jeronij's "Street Side Mod for SAM": (http://www.sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1364).
In one of the pictures below you can see a biker I pasted onto the street from Murimk's Bicycle Props: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/25681-murimk-bicycle-props-with-mmp-bikers/.
They are great but a little to big as the one in the picture was actually resized using gimp.

I know murimk bike and jeronij mod but thanks anyway. Indeed Murimk bikes are too big. You can easily re-size them using SC4 Model Tweaker. I resized them with factor 0.8 and looks quite better.

Links to SC4 websites

Durfsurn

One thing I might advise is to either move the paths so they align with the tyre marks in the road surface or move the tyre marks. Adds a slightly higher level of realism and polish ;)

-Billy

Girafe

I really like this bicycle ways  :thumbsup:

Is this something you plan to release later on? is it easily editable?  ::)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

FrankU

Catalyst,

This is incredible work. Beautiful in its detail. I really like to use this set when it comes out.  &apls

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Durfsurn on August 31, 2014, 04:51:49 AM
I'm sure the NAM Team can find some room for this somewhere (I'm not sure what the state the SAM IID wise is in - can anyone else give more info?)

If I remember correctly, the SAM is set so you only need to activate one of the inactive starters (perhaps the SAM-11 or SAM-12 starter; I don't remember which ones are in use right now), so that the only work that's needed to be done is purely textural stuff. There's really no reed to replace the textures of an existing SAM network.

There's a reason why only half of the 16 possible SAM networks are in use: in case someone wants to create an additional SAM without messing with an already-existing ore.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

w_swietwoot

Hey this looks really good. I'll use this for sure. Great work. :thumbsup:

I haven't got much to add but maybe the painted white bike on the intersection could be a bit more crisp/whiter/thicker. Just to make it show better, it's a bit vague right now.
Keep it up!

vortext

Very nice progress! &apls

I agree though the tire marks on the roundabout look a bit awkward. And generally I think the bikelanes should probably show more wear and tear given cars have more impact on the pavement than bikes.

The new alpha's look great though, as does the new 4 way intersection. Keep at it!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

c.p.

Looks great so far.  I really like this project.  :thumbsup: (I'm a pretty hard-core cyclist myself, which, by the way, isn't that unusual in the U.S. ::))  I agree with vortext about the tire marks on the roundabout.  Maybe if they were a bit more subtle, and if there were some subtle tire marks where the right tires of the cars actually travel that would help? &Thk/(

belfastsocrates

Lovely progress so far!

I like the sidewalk mod images as well. I particularly like that crossing with the cycle addition.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

CahosRahneVeloza

Once these come out, I can finally remove some faux park based bicycle paths I use for my game which block RCI development unless you plan out the paths strategically.

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

MandelSoft

Lurk mode: ACTIVE