• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Terraformer crashing

Started by jdenm8, April 10, 2010, 02:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdenm8

Hi,
I'm trying to import the greyscale map Brisvegas from the STEX through Terraformer (as per the instructions) but, whenever I hit the import image button and navigate to the file and select the right scale and hit okay, Terraformer sits there for a second, then Windows cuts in saying Terraformer has crashed.

Also, If I don't import any maps, Just clicking on one of the buttons (Like a brush-based tool) will crash the program.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit (With latest updates) and 2.5 Gb of RAM. And it's a laptop. (I have got the I wouldn't run it on a laptop lecture elsewhere - I don't have an option)

Terraformer doesn't seem to be crashing to a log either.

EDIT:
It was crashing to a log. The contents are as follows:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "SC4TerraformerApp.pyo", line 1096, in OnSave
  File "datReader.pyo", line 809, in Save
MemoryError
  File "SC4TerraformerApp.pyo", line 1063, in OnOverview
  File "SC4TerraformerApp.pyo", line 335, in UpdateBmp
MemoryError
MemoryError
MemoryError
  File "SC4TerraformerApp.pyo", line 1481, in OnPrepareExport
MemoryError: can't allocate memory for array

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

dobdriver

G'Day Jayden,

First off. There are no instructions for Terraformer in that readme, however it does say to use Mapper (Terraformer is not mentioned anywhere in the readme) this is because mapper can import larger maps up to 80x80km. Terraformer can only import maps up to 68x68km. The BrisVegas map is 80x74km.

I just downloaded the map and imported it with mapper on a laptop running 32bit windows 7, not such a different beast from vista.

If you do not have Mapper you can get it HERE

If you would prefer, I have a 16bit version of the map in .SC4M format available HERE. It is not so different except a whole lot smoother and again can only be imported with Mapper, please follow the readme.

I trust this has helped you out.

Cheers
dobdriver
aka drunkapple

jdenm8

Thanks for your help dobdriver/drunkapple,
I have tried running Mapper on my Laptop but for some strange reason, which is completely beyond me, Mapper displays the splash screen then only serves as a dummy process to slow down my computer.
I am currently trying to import the map through SC4 (after some modifications to the greyscale) to see if that works (Although I think it won't) UPDATE: It didn't.
I didn't actually see that line or it's my disability striking again.  ??? (I swear I remember seeing Terraformer but on another check it actually says Mapper).

I've downloaded the SC4M file from SCC and am now trying it on my parents' computer.

Thanks for the help!
Jdenm8
(And who's this Jayden fellow? Don't worry. You're not the first person to get my username wrong :D. Great map by the way!)

dobdriver

Ok if you cannot get mapper running. It will work the old way. Make a folder in the region, add the config, get moganites no erosion set from the stex and put NE 1000 into your plugins, open sc4, select your region, press ctrl,shift, alt and R together, navigate to the map, then wait around tor an hour and the map will be imported and rendered.

Cheers.

jdenm8

Don't worry. I revived my 'bi***' computer and it worked on there like a dream from the greyscale (in about ten minutes). Thanks for all your help!