• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

District of Wenzel - Update 116 - 3/17/15

Started by packersfan, June 04, 2010, 12:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickD

It is great to see how the region has developed. Very impressive.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Ol.S / Benoit

Very interesting how you developed the map, great work ! :)
Benoit.
MD : Click on picture

bat

Some wonderful updates there! &apls And great overviews of your nice region. :thumbsup:

Allein

packersfan

Replies to Your Comments:
A. Gates: Beautiful MD  The region view is great

Thanks a lot

bat:
Some wonderful updates there!  And great overviews of your nice region.

Thank you.  Love region views.

Ol.S / Benoit
Very interesting how you developed the map, great work !

Thanks, it is kinda natural growth.

RickD:
It is great to see how the region has developed. Very impressive.

Thanks, it was a real project to find those old photos.

Update 51 - South Martin - New Development and High School
As per request, the next few updates will further explore South Martin.  Today we have some pictures of new development southwest past Mulholland Avenue to Pershing Boulevard and the Orange Line 5.  There are also a few pictures from around the south end of Martin Luther King Drive.

ABOVE: Mary Queen of Saints Catholic Church on South Alexander Street and West Thorndale Avenue.

BELOW: Development encroaches on old farmland.

Streets are layed.  Hart Park is in development near the bottom of the picture.

The neighborhood now.

The convergence of South Wisconsin Avenue (D29), South Martin Luther King Drive (D15), Pershing Boulevard, West Liggett Avenue, and West Axelrod Ave.

We will have more views of South Martin including Saint Mary's College and Knox Park.  Keep the requests and comments flowing in!  See you at the latest in a week.  Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.  Tell me what you think of the new map style (scroll down to the farthest south area of google map style).  I am currently overhauling and adding many new maps, keep checking it out![/size]

packersfan

Update 52 - South Martin: St. Mary's College and Knox Park
As per request, the next few updates will further explore South Martin.  Today we have some pictures of St. Mary's College, Knox Park, and some shots of South Martin Luther King Jr Drive and West Albany Avenue.

ABOVE: St. Mary's College with a beautiful new cathedral.

BELOW: Police and fire stations along Martin Luther King Jr Drive.

A few commerical establishments along King Drive.

The intersection of West Albany Avenue and MLK Drive is a little bleak with some abandoned lots.

Albany Avenue on the southern end of Knox Park.

Knox Park

Hmmm, that seem like a small update.  Maybe I will put updates up with more frequency...or not.  Next week I will have shots of industrial areas north of McHenry Boulevard along Harrison Road.  Keep the requests and comments flowing in!  See you at the latest in a week.  Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.  Tell me what you think of the new map style (scroll down to the farthest south area of google map style).  I am currently overhauling and adding many new maps, keep checking it out!

nbvc

Nice work. I like the park and the middle school. :thumbsup:

packersfan

Update 53 - South Martin: Owosso Cove Industrial Area
Today some views of an industrial area around Owosso Cove.

I can keep showing you around South Martin or hit up some other areas in Martin County.  This last update's pictures are stored on photobucket.  I usually use imageshack.  I don't know how good photobucket is but for now I will use it, since it is not blocked by the Great China Firewall.  Keep the requests and comments flowing in!  See you at the latest in a week.  Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.  Tell me what you think of the new map style (scroll down to the farthest south area of google map style).  I am currently overhauling and adding many new maps, keep checking it out!

RickD

I see some Interstates on the map. Looking forward to seeing them. Also, I would be interested in seeing "The Works".
My name is Raphael.

rooker1

Very nice update. 
I like the industrial area along the river side, and nice addition of the power lines.
Robin :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

packersfan

rooker1: Very nice update. 
I like the industrial area along the river side, and nice addition of the power lines.
Robin

Thank you.  Glad you think it looks good.  I wasn't so sure.  Always trying to figure out how make realistic riversides.

RickD:
I see some Interstates on the map. Looking forward to seeing them. Also, I would be interested in seeing "The Works".

Haha, another request for the Works.  Unfortunately, not much there to show, at this time, haha.  Yup, like I said, you guys kind of get a sneak peek at what is to come since my map reflects current situations and you guys are a few updates behind still.

Update 54 - BAYVIEW: First Look
Lately, I have been scattered all over the region building up towns, cities, neighborhoods, etc.  Today, I got the itch to start planning the corridors of some other north-south National Highways 41 and 43, and also some initial planning for some freeways, focusing on a north-south stretch along the lakefront within the N-41 corridor.  Martin County is really only in the N-45 corridor with N-43 and N-41 corridors typically located further east.  Of course the Martin Metro area attracts those highway links and the large (as yet unnamed [input for a name would be great] lake forces the highways to divert to the west.  Additionally, I am debating whether to create an exclusive designation for freeways (like the Interstate in America) or just have the National Highways serve this function (with some being freeways and others just surface roads).

Wow, enough about highways and future plans.  I was in the Bayview tile today, so I took a few snapshots of the small city of about 2,000.  As you can see on the map, Bayview has plenty of real estate to develop.  Much of its border with the Penelope River is industrialized, though its lakefront is still undisturbed except for a few roads including N-41 (I haven't decided in N-43 will also travel within this area or if it will swing far to the western part of Martin County).

Bayview is another community within Martin County to not use NSWE designations for their streets, though main thouroughfares from elsewhere in the county that do use a directional designation continue to carry it in Bayview (like West DeKalb Avenue and South Trinity Boulevard).  Streets that travel northwest and southwest or north and south are typically named PLACE (Lincoln Place).  Streets travelling northeast and southwest or east and west are named STREETS (Prospect Street).  Main thouroughfares are typically named AVENUES (Ramsen Avenue).

Bayview Elementary School just south of Prospect Park.  Just west of Winthrop Place is the Martin & St. Paul Railroad which, south of West DeKalb Avenue, serves as an western boundary of Bayview.

Downtown Bayview straddles D15.

Development moves eastward toward the lake along Ramsen Avenue and Prospect Street.

A rail line of the Martin & St. Paul Railroad cuts through the heart of Bayview.

Bayview at night.

The Penelope River Bridge carries N41 across the mouth of the Penelope River.

And that was Bayview.  Just south on D15 is St. Andrew.  Do you want to go there next?  Next update at the usual time on Monday.  Update Thursday may become a usual thing or a random occurence.  There will ALWAYS be an update on Monday unless real life interferes.

I am heavy in construction of Hawthorne and Martin south of the Penelope River, though my next project will be to fill in some more of Martin around Axelrod down to the Penelope River.  I think once a good chunk of the city is developed between South 72nd Street, West Farragut Avenue, the lake, and Brittany River, I will slowly introduce freeways.  It will develop quite like freeways did in many establish cities after the WWII in America.  Sections will be built piecemeal and communities will be affected.  Those updates will be fun, since we will be able to explore sections of the city we've before or we've NEVER seen!

I would love to hear your thoughts on highways, Bayview, future updates, etc!  Keep the requests and comments flowing in!  See you at the latest in a week.  Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.  Tell me what you think of the new map style (scroll down to the farthest south area of google map style).  I am currently overhauling and adding many new maps, keep checking it out!

packersfan

Update 55 - Brittany River Hwy: 48th Street to Anchor Road
Today we will explore the north bank of the Brittany River along Brittany River Highway (District Highway 50; National Highway 18) west from 48th Street to Anchor Road (District Highway 31).

A medical college, a park, and a zoo occupy the river bank before the north bank of the river becomes industrialized with train yards.

North of Brittany River Highway is the Burnham Farms neighborhood.  More views of this neighborhood will be available in the future.  In the background of many of the pictures we can see WTAMetro Purple Line 6.  At Anchor Road, the line turns south to serve the Village of Hohler and the City of Hawthorne.

Intersection of the Brittany River Hwy and N 54th St and the part of Brittany River Medical College.

On the west side of 56th Street is Albert Dourtmouth Festival Park.  This park is the site to a number of ethnic and music festivals.

On the west end of the park, a small zoo, Brittany River Zoo, has been constructed.  More land is becoming available for redevelopment as parkland as factories close and are demolished.

We can see the city expanding on the north end further into Burnham Farms.

The Brittany River Railroad crosses to the south side of the river to connect with the Martin & St. Paul Railroad and the Western Railroad.

The Brittany River Railroad splits with a branch going south (previous picture) and the other branch ending in a train yard.  At the top of the picture we see a single track branch of the Brittany River Railroad headed north.

Right at the top of this picture we can see the edge of the campus of Martin West High School.

Anchor Road Bridge to the south side of Martin.

City of Martin, City of Hawthorne, City of St. Paul, Martin County, and District of Wenzel officials commissioned a study into the development of system of expressways and freeways in Martin County to connect the Martin, Hawthorne, and St. Paul and deal with congestion on surface arteries.  This is the first plan for the north side of the county focusing mainly on the City of Martin.  District of Wenzel Department of Transportation (DWDOT) and Wenzel National Department of Transportation (WNDOT) officials are still hammering out details of a new national freeway system.  Early plans call for the capital city of Martin to have an intersection of a major north-south and east-west route.  St. Paul's position at the southwest corner of Sapphire Lake also will likely make it a hub for an intersection of a few routes (including presumably, the east-west route that will pass through Martin but will have to travel south to go around Lake Sapphire.

There are no designations for the freeways yet.  In some reports, it appears that N41 which currently runs along Waterfront Pkwy, Penelope Point Dr, Wisconsin Ave, Mitchell Blvd, Commerce Ave, North Ave, Prospect Ave, and Lakefront Dr, will be rerouted on the "Lakefront Freeway".  N45 might possibly be the "North-South Freeway" currently planned near the Trinity Blvd/24th Street corridor.  N18 might be rerouted as the "East-West Freeway" and then piggyback to St. Paul along the "North-South Freeway" or the "Lakefront Freeway".  N20 could become the "Penelope River Freeway".  Of course no one knows for sure the designations of the freeways and most are assuming the National Highways will be routed along them, but as reported earlier it seems there are plans for a National Freeway System (but whether this refers to the roads themselves or a completely new designation system separate from the National Highways is only speculation).

Wow, I got a little long-winded with my ideas for my freeway system.  Like I have said, as soon as today I might begin laying down some of the freeway out in the Jade area (there is a City of Jade, but it is not shown on the map, yet, hehe, I should probably get around to mapping that and St. Paul, yeah?).

I hope you enjoy this update and the prospect of freeways coming!

Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.

RickD

The Burnham Farms neighborhood is looking great. The elevated rail line is a nice feature. I wouldn't mind seeing more of it.
I also like the freeway planning.
My name is Raphael.

packersfan

Update 56 - Brittany River South Bank: 76th Street to 44th Street
Today, we will look at development along the south bank of the Brittany River.  Pictures will include development between Baltimore Avenue, 76th Street, Brittany River, and around 44th Street.  Also included are some shots of "new" development west of 72nd Street south of Baltimore Avenue.

Undisturbed farmland along the south bank of the Brittany River.

Development starts to overtake the beautiful fields.

Development in the shadow of Anchor Road Bridge.

Rundown stretch of Baltimore Avenue

Lucas Road west of 72nd Street.

Warehouses and workshops east of 72nd Street.

Moorland Park Neighborhood.

Brittany River Railroad.

Cortland Manufacturing.

Brittany River Railroad train yard.

I have begun construction of the east-west freeway.  I built a few interchanges around Jade with RHW, but discovered a lot of limitations that have prompted me to probably use a hybrid of the RHW and Maxis freeways for flexibility in the city.

Also, after construction the loop near Fairchild, I realized the freeway design was really stupid considering if I just went straight across north of Jade around the Marshall Avenue corridor it would cut a few miles off the east-west route and there is really no physical obstructions preventing this route.  So now I will go back and rebuild the Jade interchange to be a 4-way interchange and cut the route straight through.  The next update will probably deal with this.

packersfan

Update 57 - East I-80: Jade Interchange to Jade Creek
The Roadgeeks among us will be happy today!  Freeways are finally coming to Martin County.  The next few updates will travel east on the east-west freeway Interdistrict 80.  We won't JUST be travelling along the freeway, but we will also see the neighborhoods before and after the introductions of freeways.

In the pictures we will be travelling from top to bottom so it will look as if you are scrolling down in the game.  East will be at the bottom of the pictures (usually my pictures are oriented with south at the bottom).

I hope you guys can understand why I bailed on the RHW...again.  I love the look of the RHW, but I found quite a few limitations as far as RHW-6 and above with diagonal ramps and bridges which would severely limit my freeway flexibility.

Today we will see the Jade Interchange northwest of the City of Jade.  Then we will travel east to Jade Creek, a little more than a two mile trip.

First, the Jade Interchange with North at the top of the picture.

Now we are oriented with east (our destination) at the bottom.

The guide signs at the interchange are not complete for the north-south freeway designation.

Exit 275A southbound.

Exit 275B northbound.  This future route intersects with I-580 and figures to serve Powhatan and eventually Freeport.

East I-80 passing under the northbound bridge and the ramp exit to West I-80.

Traffic from the Cambridge-Freeport Freeway merge onto East I-80.

District Highway 75 heads out northwest from Jade to eventually intersection with District Highway 230 and become the Union Pass Trail.

I-80 is only a bypass at this point in Jade's history, served by a McDonalds, a BP gas station, and a Shell gas station.

Westbound Exit 276 is considerably longer than its eastbound counterpart.

We have now travelled two miles.  Here we see an advance guide sign for the interchange with I-580.  The "Fairchild Loop" has been designated a spur of I-80.  Citizens of Martin County don't understand the premature creation of a high-speed limited access road to serve the sparsely settled Fairchild area.

Next time we will cross the creek and enter the City of Martin.

Here is a shot of my original Jade Interchange before I concluded that the route was stupid and straightened I-80 thus making the Jade Interchange 4-way.

Sorry the update is a little late.  I really got all the signs and style together just yesterday!  I planned for the update to actually be a little longer, eek.

Tell me what you think.  What do you think of the Interdistrict Highway shield?  I'll have to get cracking on adding the freeway to my street map!

WannGLondon

Really great stuff here, but how did you get that Google Map looking image for your city? Is it some sort of program where you can make your own map?
Call me Warren.

packersfan

WannGLondon: Really great stuff here, but how did you get that Google Map looking image for your city? Is it some sort of program where you can make your own map?

Nope, just used the data street view and used GIMP to overlay the view.  I then stitch each picture together using HTML.

Update 58 - East I-80: Jade Creek to 80th Street
We continue east (the bottom of the pictures) along Interdistrict 80.  Today we will cross Jade Creek, pass under Fairchild Road, go through the "Hillside Interchange", and pass through the current outskirts of Martin.  Please check out the Map to see where we are.

Passing by farms parallel to Marshall Ave.

Curve to bypass some elevation.

Another guide sign for the upcoming "Hillside Interchange" to Fairchild.

The Brittany River Highway following the contours of the river jogs north to within 300 feet of I-80.

Fairchild Road (County Highway X) overpass.

Interdistrict 580 is signed as a North-South route though its parent route is East-West 80.  I-580 is a spur and is signed based on the direction it mostly travels, north-south.

Yes, I-80 travels on "ramps" in SC4 with exits to North 580 and to East 80 running along a "mainline".  This is a remnant from the "original" routing of I-80.

This guide sign lets I-80 travelers know they can connect with D50 and N18 (Brittany River Highway) via 88th Street.  In reality D50 and N18 is accessible from every exit via the north-south artery, and this is the only guide sign that shows this information.

North 88th Street overpass.  It seems some delinquent Bellview High School students vandalized the facade deriding their rival Martin West High School.

Advance guide sign with distances to the next three exits.

Sound walls help mitigate some of the noise pollution from I-80.

North 80th Street overpass.  City workers have painted over graffiti on this bridge.  Anchor Road is the next arterial 1/2 mile up the road.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the control city for West I-80 is Chemeketa.  I found this name in Aydina???  Correct me if I am wrong people...anyways, just another little shoutout within my city to other great journals!

I uploaded the sections of the freeway we have seen to the Street Map.  I hope you enjoy it.  I have actually mapped out I-80 all the way to its downtown intersection with I-55 (north-south freeway) and I-55 down to south of the Penelope River.  While mapping, I am getting super inspiration to develop more and more of the city...I can't even decide where to work next!!!

packersfan

Update 59 - East I-80: 80th Street to 48th Street
We continue east (the bottom of the pictures) along Interdistrict 80.  Today we will first see some views of Washburn Neighborhood pre-freeways.  Then we will follow I-80's course through the neighborhood.

Washburn Park, the jewel of the neighborhood, includes four ballparks and a library on 56th Street.

Cadwallader Colden Washburn High School

Surviving factories and workshops on 48th Street.  In previous updates, we saw how a number of old industrial buildings were demolished to make way for the Staples Center and surrounding parking lots.

Now the freeway will destroy this wonderful neighborhood.  Right of way has been cleared.

Now we jump back to our travels east on I-80.  Here we approach Exit 281A.  My signage in the last update omitted reference to 281"A" and only referred to the Anchor Road exit as 281.

Now the exits start to be quite clustered.

We can see that while Washburn Park and Washburn High School were both preserved, the northern section of the neighborhood has been cut off from them by elevated freeway.  Needless to say, property values have plummeted.

Downtown is rapidly approaching.  Following the 40th Street exit is the east only exit to 32nd Street, the first of two major downtown exits for East I-80.  Here we see advance signage for the "Heights" or "Parquart" interchange between I-80 and I-55.  Exit 285 is to North I-55.  East I-80 piggybacks with South I-55 to St. Paul.

Here is a night shot of Washburn Neighborhood with I-80 cutting through.  The Staples Center is in the lower right corner.  I wanted to get a good night shot, since I have returned to using the Uniform Street Lights mod.  I gave my streets red lights, my roads and avenues amber lights, and my freeways have greenish environmentally friendly lights I believe.  I wonder if I should try the brighter light cones, though, that I used before.

Thanks for coming along.  I have uploaded the next section of the map...actually maybe I'll upload all the way through Downtown, so you can see the "Heights/Parquart" interchange before next update :D.

RickD

Just caught up on the recent updates. It is interesting to see how the new freeway is forcing its way through the buildup areas
My name is Raphael.

packersfan

RickD: Just caught up on the recent updates. It is interesting to see how the new freeway is forcing its way through the buildup areas

Yeah, I always like seeing the before and after photos of real cities with freeways.

Update 60 - East I-80: 48th Street to West Town
We continue east (the bottom of the pictures) along Interdistrict 80.  We will follow I-80 to its combination with I-55 at the "Heights/Parquart" Interchange.  Then we will travel through West Town along I-80 and I-55 to Washington Avenue.

40th Street before and after preparations for the freeway to come through.

We can see Exit 283A to North Avenue from I-80 westbound.

I-80 winds through residential neighborhoods with sound walls.

Exit 283B 40th Street.

Advance guide sign for the "Heights/Parquart" Interchange.

I-80 cuts through the hill that was originally all Garfield Park.  Now the north side of the freeway is Kenilworth Park.

Let's go back and take some more looks at Exit 283B.

Exit 283C only from eastbound I-80 to 32nd Street and Parquart Neighborhood.

Entering Parquart Tunnel.  Exit 284 to Trinity Boulevard is right on the other side of the tunnel under Parquart Neighborhood and the passenger rail lines coming out of Martin Central Railway Station.

The neighborhood above Parquart Tunnel.

Exit 284 to Trinity Boulevard.

Guide sign for the "Heights/Parquart" Interchange on the I-80/I-55 bridge.

The ramp for continuing east on I-80 actually loops under the ramp to North I-55 and the loops over I-80 itself (the bridge we just passed).

Not the greatest planning and not the best interchange I have made :(

Overhead next exit mileage signs.

Exit 82D (I-55 exit numbers).  I-80 piggybacks on I-55 down to the St. Paul area before I-80 is again able to travel east-west.

Exit 82B Washington Avenue.  New Capital Stadium is the next exit.

Washington Avenue overpass.  Guide sign for the Exit 82A for Capital Stadium.  It is on the Brittany River Highway (D50 and N18).

Sneak peak at Capital Stadium.

Satellite view of Martin County, District of Wenzel.

Thanks for coming along.  Wow, I am really happy with the way that satellite view of my county turned out...and the photoshopping for Capital Stadium...though I am nervous whether or not I can replicate it in my next update!  (I should have created a template...I meant to, and then it didn't happen, sigh.  It was a real hassle to get the images from West Town...the game takes so long to load that tile and whenever I save it freezes after I finish saving or crashes to desktop without saving.  Disappointing how eventually SimCity figures out how to eat your RAM...I used to have 4 GB then upped to 8 GB and that tile ran like a dream, but now that tile is a crash to desktop or freeze waiting to happen, sigh.