• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramona Brie

@haljackey Tarkus tweaked jack_xu's AVE-2 mod for his own private use. I want that too, though.

Very nice update!

rooker1

After following your MD very closely this passing year, it is you and the peer pressure that has gotten me to finally give the RHW a 110% try and to tell you the truth I may never go back to using the Maxis highways.  I just wish for a few more raised RHW pieces. ::) ;)
I hope your holidays have been great so far and I wish you and yours all the best in the coming year.
Happy New Year Alex.
Robin :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

First off, Happy New Year to all of you!  At any rate, I'm back with the first Tarkusian Cities update of 2012, which will involve the construction of a brand new interchange.

But first off, some replies:

Connor (deathtopumpkins): Great to see you, my friend, and thanks for the very kind words on the update!  I'm glad you enjoyed seeing the little details . . . I've seen enough of those wetland mitigation projects in this area that I'd be remiss if I didn't do something like that (especially as effective as the RRP flora are at representing it).

Arthur (art128): Heh . . . that little stretch of about-to-be-torn-up road would kind of make a good Gymkhana course. :D  Thanks for the kind words on the widening project--and fortunately, as much office space has been built in the area, the demolitions didn't inconvenience local businesses too much. ::)

Willy (Swordsmaster):  Thanks, my friend--it's great to be back, and glad you enjoyed the update!

Jon (bakerton): Thanks for the warm welcome back and for the compliments on the update!  Hope you enjoy seeing the new interchange being built at long last. :)

Ryan (Haljackey): Thanks for the very kind words on the whole construction approach!  I still remember when I first started doing it with the Argentum MD/CJ, it felt kind of odd, but it quickly became a natural part of my gameplay, and now it feels weird when I don't do it. :D  The AVE-6 medians are basically a personal tweak I did to jackxu's AVE-2 mod, which I hope to release (with his permission) at some point.  Hope you've had a great holiday season as well, and wishing you the best for 2012!

Raymie (Tracker): Thanks for the compliments on the update!  As far as the AVE-2 to AVE-6 T21 conversion, as much interest as there has been in my little tweak, I'll be checking with jackxu to see if he'd be alright with it.

Robin (rooker1): It always puts a smile on my face every time I hear from a new "RHW convert". :thumbsup:  I'm really flattered to hear that TC has proven an inspiration on that front, and I'm curious to see what all you'll do with the RHW--I'd second your plea for more raised content as well.  Slowly but surely, we're plugging away on that.  Thanks for the kind words and well wishes for the new year--hope you have a great 2012 as well! :)

This project will rebuild the overpass of 39th Avenue NE in Chemeketa over the West Oregon Freeway (Highway 15) into a Single-Point Urban Interchange, and widen and rebuild several intersections along 39th Ave NE, within the Interchange Area Management Plan (IAMP) zone:

The Halpert District in Northeast Chemeketa is an especially fast-growing part of the city, home to an increasing number of high-tech companies, and is also seeing considerable residential growth to the west.  In order to help better facilitate freight movement in this veritable crossroads of commerce, not only locally, but intrastate and interstate, ORDOT has decided to build a new interchange at the city's request along Highway 15, the main north-south freeway that runs through Olympus, Willamette and Siskiyou states. 

Currently, the main access to the Halpert District from Highway 15 is at the 52nd Avenue NE interchange, with subsidiary access to the north end of the district at the 71st Avenue NE interchange.  As there are plans for large-scale high-tech industrial development in the southern reaches of the district, ORDOT has decided to site the interchange at 39th Avenue, which already has an existing overpass, and is adequately spaced from the 16th Avenue NE and 52nd Avenue interchanges NE.  The necessity of this interchange is further heightened by recent residential growth in the southwestern reaches of the IAMP.

This is the existing 39th Avenue NE overpass, looking north.  It dates back to the time when the current freeway alignment of Highway 15 was first constructed, and only carries two travel lanes.  It is adequate at present, but is projected to drop below a satisfactory Level of Service (LOS) within the next 5 years, possibly sooner.

This is the existing stretch of 39th Avenue just west of the overpass, looking north.  The two intersections seen (from left-to-right) are Mosby Road NE and Aldrin Way NE.

This is the existing intersection of 39th Avenue/Bernard Way and Halpert Road, facing north.  As you can see, it has an essentially rural quality to it, a quality which the traffic volumes have outgrown.

Looking north, the overpass has been closed off for construction, and demolition begins.  Traffic on 39th between Mosby and Halpert must detour via 52nd Ave or 16th Ave.

Grading begins on the widened 39th Avenue overpass, facing west.  39th Avenue will be widened to 4 travel lanes between Mosby and Halpert, and the re-alignment of the Hudson Road/Bernard Way intersection to the east will extend the 4-lane section farther.

Work on the 39th/Aldrin intersection, just west of Highway 15, looking west.

Work begins on grading the widened eastern portion of 39th, looking west.

A boatload of cranes are in place, and work begins on building the new overpass and interchange, looking north.

The main structure for the SPUI, including ramps from the freeway, is now more or less in place, facing north.  Work commences on building the rest of the overpass and connection to 39th Ave.

Ongoing work at 39th and Halpert, facing north.  Both roads will be widened to 4 lanes with dual-left turn lanes at the intersection.

The improved intersection at 39th and Aldrin, facing north.

The SPUI is now more or less ready to open, though the segment of 39th to the east, between the interchange and Halpert Road is still closed for widening (facing north).

Paving is ongoing on Halpert and the east segment of 39th (facing north).

Traffic on Halpert has been detoured onto a temporary roadway while the new intersection is constructed (facing north).

The intersection is now open and ready for whatever development may come its way (facing north).

The SPUI open for business and doing its job (facing north).

That does it for this project.  Next update, we'll be looking at the Scarlet Street extension, followed by the last "chapter" of the spurt: a big ol' freeway project.  Hope you enjoyed this update!

-Alex

nbvc

art128

I can definitively say that this SPUInterchange fits very well the area. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Korot

Very nice pics, nice interchange. One comment though: why not widen the motorway to 6-lanes, while traffic is already disturbed, instead of having to do so later, when it will be absolutely necessary (especially with these developments happening)?
I think that I will use the SPUI in my cities soon, seeing how good it looks.

Regards,
Korot

rooker1

Very nice update. 
I have recently had some fun with that same interchange, but I did something a little different. ;)

Robin :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Ryan B.

That's pretty awesome there, Alex.  Great construction shots - and involving an elevated SPUI.  Bravo!

I see some new-ish traffic signals in one or two of the pictures - any chance those get 'extended' to the dual left turn TuLEPs at some point?  (Probably after Project 0E is done ;))

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

I'm back with more Tarkusian Cities . . . this time, a little bit smaller project in the same part of town.

But first, replies:

nbvc: Thanks for the kind words!  I have a lot of fun putting those together.

Arthur (art128):  Thanks!  That was actually the first SPUI I seriously built in a non-test region . . . and as you'll soon see, Chemeketa will be bit by "SPUI fever". :D

Korot: Thanks for the compliments on the update and the interchange, and for posing an interesting question!  ORDOT is eventually planning to make everything from Chemeketa up to the alternate-universe Portland (which is actually called Boston--that's an interesting story) be 3 lanes in each direction, but they didn't quite have the funding or traffic volumes to justify starting on it yet.  The interchange was designed with room in the median for expansion, however, so it won't be too expensive for them when the time does come.

Robin (rooker1): Thanks for the kind words--you have me intrigued now as to what you did with the SPUI.  ;)

Ryan B.: Thanks, my friend--glad you enjoyed the construction shots and the SPUI!  Those "newish" signals there are, as I recall, an attempt at messing around with jondor's True3D Animated signal method . . . one of these days, I'll have to get back to that project.  (And those mast arm assemblies are actually slightly tweaked versions of your old models. :thumbsup:)

[size="5"]Scarlet Street NE Extension Project[/size]

This project will connect the two disconnected segments of Scarlet Street NE, separated by Sorenson Creek by constructing a new bridge, and extend the street south of 39th Avenue NE, to an extended 32nd Way NE.  Scarlet Street is a collector road that the City of Chemeketa has been gradually expanding with the intent of making it into a minor arterial, and in a later project, it will eventually be extended to connect with 19th Avenue NE.

This is the existing southern disconnected segment of Scarlet, accessed via 39th Ave (facing north).  The city, thinking ahead, stipulated that the developers of the subdivision seen here build a stub for a potential future extension northward.

The stub has been widened into a 3-lane configuration, and a signal has been installed at 39th (facing north).  An initial stub on the southern extension down to 32nd has also been built.

The northern and southern segments are still separated by Sorenson Creek (facing north).

Crews work on a bridge over the creek (facing north).

Now that the bridge has been constructed, work resumes on the Scarlet Street south of 39th (facing north).

This is the southern bounds of the project--the new intersection of 32nd Way and Scarlet Street (facing north).

This is the intersection of 32nd Way NE and Sorenson Street NE, which was constructed during the realignments of the Rankine-Dallas Corridor project (facing north).  32nd Way is being extended west to meet up with the southern extension of Scarlet Street.

The intersection of 39th and Scarlet with the southern extension mostly in place (facing north).

The new intersection of 32nd Way and Scarlet, with a stub in place for the eventual further extension of Scarlet (facing north).

And that does it for this update--hope you enjoyed it!  Next time, we'll be looking at a really big project--the next phase of the Chemeketa Parkway.

-Alex

Korot

Once again, nice pictures. I am, however, feeling kinda lost in this town, perhaps you could add a region map to next update? Thanks!

Regards,
Korot

vinlabsc3k

My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

art128

SPUI fever eh ? My region is going to be hit by the highway fever soon... but sill I need to find some good looking compact interchange to place in some narrow areas.

Anyway, nice looking development once again Alex. The shot with the bridge over the creek is my favorite of the series.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

thundercrack83

Hi, Alex!

Long--well, extremely long--time, my friend!

Amazing stuff that you've got here, I must say! The SPUI really has me wanting to do some experimenting of my own, and as always, your maps and construction make things unique here.

Can't wait to see more!

Dustin

Ramona Brie

Haljackey

So much content here... had to keep up! :P

Regarding your AVE-6 median, yes it indeed looks awesome! You said you modified it from jackxu's mod? That only adds a median to the AVE-2 right?

Do any AVE-6 medians exist for download? If no, then I'm insanely jealous of you. :party:

noahclem

Very nice work on the last couple updates Alex  &apls  Your thoughtfully-planned interchanges, intersections, and neighborhoods are always a pleasure to view. Looking forward to the next phase of the Chemeketa Parkway!

Also, a Happy New Years to you and Tarkusian Cities  :party:

EDGE4194

Alex- nice work on the last two updates. I especially enjoyed the SPUI construction project. You always make it as realistic as possible.  :thumbsup:

bat

Wonderful work on the previous updates!!!
And nice city map.
Looking forward to update 85. :)

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

RL reared its head up a good bit before I could get into my planned conclusion of this construction arc, but with a little bit of a respite, I'm finally back with the concluding arc of this "spurt" of updates--the Chemeketa Parkway project.

But first, replies:

Korot: Thanks for the kind words!  And your wish is granted this update--there's a brand new full region road map featuring details on the latest project this update. :thumbsup:

Vincenzo (vinlabsc3k): Thanks for the compliments and the wishes for the new year--hope 2012 is treating you well, too!

Arthur (art128): Yes, SPUI fever--and it arrives this update!  I've found the FlexSPUI to work pretty well in terms of compactness, ditto with really slim-profile diamond setups.  The addition of Multi-Height RHWs and a few more transition pieces will help out a great deal, too, in future RHW updates.  And thanks for the kind words on the update--I'm glad you enjoyed the construction, and I'd have to concur--that pic over the creek is probably my favorite of the update as well. :)

Dustin (thundercrack83): Great to see you, my friend! :thumbsup:  Thanks for the compliments on the maps, update and the SPUI, and I'm glad I could help inspire--I'd love to see what comes of your experimenting!

Raymie (Tracker): Your thirst for construction is about to be quenched, my friend--hope the wait was worth it, and thanks for your continued support of TC. :)

Ryan (Haljackey): Hehe . . . yeah, that's kind of how my spurts go. :D  Thanks for the kind words, and as far as I know, the only AVE-6 median mod released is Ganaram's adaptation of the Maxis AVE medians, up on the STEX, and jackxu's mod is indeed AVE-2 only.  That said, I did drop a PM to Jack this afternoon regarding my developments, so we'll see. ;)

Noah (noahclem): Thanks for the compliments on the updates!  I'm glad the interchanges and neighborhoods were enjoyable to see--I certainly enjoyed building them. :)  And a Happy New Year to you and Siilijoki as well. :thumbsup:

Eric (EDGE4194): Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed the last two updates, and thanks for the kind words on the realism.

bat: Thanks, my friend--hope Update 85 is to your liking, too!

Project Map
http://gmapuploader.com/view/rNw5WI20v0

The Chemeketa Parkway Project will complete a "quarter-loop" freeway connection, between downtown Chemeketa's Division/Commerce Street couplet and Highway 15 (the West Oregon Freeway) through North Chemeketa, partially using the existing alignment of Highway 219. 

Phase 1 of the project updated the 2-lane stretch of Highway 219 between 28th Avenue NE and 52nd Avenue NE (Highway 221) to an access-controlled freeway with grade-separated interchanges at 39th and 52nd Avenues and a RIRO (right-in/right-out) at 33rd Avenue. 

Phase 2 of the project will build a new stretch of freeway parallel to existing Highway 219 between 52nd and 71st Avenues with 3 travel lanes in each direction, as well as a new interchange at 71st Avenue, which will be re-aligned to connect into the existing northern segment of Highway 219 that heads toward Windsor.  As the alignment of the Chemeketa Parkway from this point diverges from the initial routing of Highway 219, ORDOT has decided to truncate Highway 219 to the new interchange at 71st Avenue and assign Highway 215 to the Chemeketa Parkway and Division/Commerce Streets between Highway 36 and Highway 15.

This is an existing stretch of 71st Avenue NE (facing north).  The construction work there marks the alignment of the new Chemeketa Parkway.

Here is the existing curve on Highway 219 just south of its intersection with 71st Avenue (facing north).  The work on the left side of the screen represents ground clearing in preparation for the Chemeketa Parkway (now Highway 215).  The work on the right is for a frontage road that will, at least for the time being, connect 59th Avenue with 71st Avenue.

More work underway at 71st and the future parkway (facing north).  The radio station there will be forced to relocate in order to make way for the new Single-Point Urban Interchange (SPUI).

71st Avenue has been closed off for construction purposes (facing north).  It will be re-aligned to the west of the interchange, where it will connect into the existing northern segment of Highway 219, and the segment to the east will be widened and partially elevated.  Motorists can use 52nd Avenue, 59th Avenue, or Progress Street/Bushnell Road to Withnall Way in order to access Highway 219 in the interim.

More preparations for the new interchange (facing east).

The elevated structure for the actual interchange itself has been constructed (facing north) and awaits further connections.

East of the new SPUI, 71st has been widened to 4 lanes and placed on an embankment, eliminating the at-grade rail crossing (facing north).

Grading west of the interchange on the new connection to Highway 219 (facing north).

Paving on the new stretch of the parkway (facing north).

Here, you can see the existing alignment of Highway 219 near its intersection with 59th Avenue NE and the end of Phase 1 work, with the right-of-way cleared for Highway 215 (facing north).

New and old collide, just south of the old 71st Avenue intersection (facing north).

A stretch of the new "jog" on Highway 215 (facing north).

This is where the new Highway 215 alignment will connect with the existing stretch of the Chemeketa Parkway/Highway 219, just south of the 52nd Avenue/Highway 221 interchange (facing north).

The ramps on the north side of the 52nd Avenue interchange have been closed, and existing Highway 219 has been detoured slightly to ease the construction of the connection (facing north).

The construction alignment at 59th Avenue (facing north).  You can see that the new alignment is progressing quite nicely at this point.

Getting ready to connect the new alignment in (facing north).

The new alignment being connected into the 52nd Avenue interchange (facing north).

The old stretch of Highway 219 will be dead-ended here for the time being (facing north).

This is the new 71st interchange, finally open to traffic (facing north).

This is just north of the new 71st Avenue interchange (facing north).  The highway currently just dead-ends at a barrier, but will be extended north (and eventually east) in the next two updates.

An overview of the big curve on the new Highway 215 alignment, with the frontage road connecting 59th up (facing north).

That does it for this installment of Tarkusian Cities.  We'll be looking at Phases 3 and 4 of the Chemeketa Parkway/Highway 215 in the next two updates, respectively.  And if you looked at the map in detail, you should have some idea of what this will entail . . . lots of new interchanges to look forward to.

Hope you enjoyed it!

-Alex

dedgren

You've satisfied this roadgeek, Alex, at least for the afternoon.  It'd be gravy to see a region shot at this point.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax