• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

City_Slider

Woohoo,

finaly it works  ;D. Reinstall SC4D, install NAM32 and between the Patches.

manga rivotra

I have a question about the NAM textures and I do not really know where to ask it. ::)
I'm trying to change the texture color of the NAM roads in order to put an asphalt more grey and I've done it for quite a bit of pieces already.
However, I actually looked for pieces 1,2 and 3 on the pic, (here in their original NAM textures), in the different files that I have but I could not find them.

Indeed in my "z ___ NAM \ Road Textures \ Euro Cosmetic Re-Texture Mod" folder, I did not find these parts in any of the files I suspected to contain them (when i extract bmp), ie:
z1_NAM_Euro_Textures_Curves_Plugin;
z2_Euro_Textures: z3_mandelsoft_FAR_Euro;
z3_mandelsoft_FAR_Euro;
z3_mandelsoft_FAR_Euro;
z3_MRTNRLN_EuroTextures_WRC ;
and z7_NAM_Euro_Textures.

Would anyone have a vague idea of where these textures might be hidden ?, please  &mmm

eggman121

That would be the minicurve for the Road network

These are the Texture IIDs.

0x5f097004

0x5f097104

0x5f097204

The First tile also has an overhang texture with dimentions W 128 x H 256

That overhang will have to be colour corrected or pre compensated to appear normal in game.

Hope that helps.

-eggman121

mgb204

Quote from: eggman121 on September 26, 2018, 03:21:51 PM
The First tile also has an overhang texture with dimentions W 128 x H 256

That overhang will have to be colour corrected or pre compensated to appear normal in game.

Whilst this is true, the overhanging piece does not need to contain the sidewalks, so you don't have to worry about this, just get the underlying textures correct. Speaking of which, unless you want to modify the grass (remove or change it), these pieces should work with a custom sidewalk by default.

Assuming you are removing the grass (like my NGN mod), you can use the attached GoFSH script to automate this task. Note it contains most of the FARR/WRCs for EU Roads, you may not want all of them, but will need to remove any image pairs you don't need before running the script.

manga rivotra

@ eggman121 and mgb204
QuoteThese are the Texture IIDs.

0x5f097004

0x5f097104

0x5f097204
Thank you very much for your quick answers !  :thumbsup:
Indeed, I did not search in the file z_MRTNRLN_EuroTextures_FAR_Intersections, since I supposed that it contained only intersections  ::).
But the textures are there. Thanks again !  :bnn:

Wiimeiser

It appears FARxFAR intersections aren't supported... Maybe it's just at an incompatible alignment?

EDIT:

I had to use this as a workaround

There is an intersection in the documentation, but:

I don't see how any of this is usable TBH... The other FAR works fine but only supports orthogonal intersections...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

FA-2 Road does support an intersection with itself . . . the pattern is in the NAM Documentation.  The pattern actually entails four ortho +-intersections in the middle.  As far as I know, that's it in terms of FA x FA intersections, however.  The code for them is INRUL-based, too, so it's predicated on everything in the vicinity being the Road network.  Having a Street transition in close proximity as part of the connection (as in your next to last image) would break the overrides, as would any other network.  It does also appear, from my testing just now, that the Road Roundabouts Plugin actually interferes with the pattern quite badly.

Ultimately, I think going forward, the FA Roads and the like will probably be best served receiving a FLEX implementation, similar to what eggman121 has been doing with the FA RRW functionality.  That seems to me to be the most reliable way to handle FA x FA intersections.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

I tried to recreate that pattern that's in the documentation (The one with the four intersections displayed below the rail crossing), but it seems to create FAR-3 for me instead of FAR-2. And I have a lot of difficulty with FAR-3. In particular, no matter what I did, I simply couldn't extend the FAR-3 out of the north or east of that intersection. FAR-2 doesn't seem to be able to intersect any non-orthogonal networks. Maybe I should send a small test city over to show you what I mean...

The FLEX idea sounds good, though...

Wiimeiser

Another issue:

Whichever side is the "continuous" one (The one that connects to the two perpendicular offshoots) breaks in the draggable version. It doesn't seem to be unusable, but it looks rather unsightly to say the least...

vortext

Most of the 'issues' come from not allowing enough space, which far3 in particular needs plenty of. The last example is the far3-ortho curve, yet it's treated as a ortho-ortho 90 wide curve. Sure, that's not going to work. Here's the smallest possible footprint I could manage to get back to ortho;

Same with the far3xfar3 crossing, it needs more space if you want to get back to ortho.

Smaller footprints are possible if you transition to far2 or diagonal. That being said, this particular crossing is rather annoying to draw yeah, and it can only be drawn from the middle tile of far3 stretch. Also, far2xfar2 does not exist afaik.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Ralfger

Just a late "Thank you" to Seaman, Eggman and Tyberius for your explanation and suggestions to my question I´ve asked nearly a month ago  &ops -RL is rahter demanding at present...

Wiimeiser

Another one

Don't know if these even exist, but it appears they certainly don't support LHD...

Tarkus

I think that one intersection is one that was reported awhile back as having some issues.  I'll take a look over it.

-Alex

Jdsaf

Just installed the latest NAM and my entire plugins folder has disappeared. RIP 10 hours setting up dependencies and mods.

Tarkus

In order to diagnose just what went wrong, what exactly did you do with the installation process, and where did you pick up the mod?  Were you running another version of the NAM beforehand?

Speaking generally, changing the NAM installation folder in the installer can actually move your entire Plugins folder (but not delete it) in certain instances, and the only case I know of in which an entire folder could get deleted is if one is not careful with the NAM's uninstaller (which is a well-known situation and has a whole section in the NAM Documentation).

-Alex

Wiimeiser

Look at this mess. Notice how the terrain engine is actually forcing the terrain to be that way. Unless you can find a way to fix it, say, modify the .exe to feature actual diagonals, you'll have to go back to texture-based tiles for L0 networks and drop the models.

EDIT: The steepest I could get the RHW-4 to go up diagonally and not clip at all was 50cm/0.5m. That's... Not a lot to be honest. If anything I'd like to see how other users handle diagonal RHWs on terrain that isn't 100% flat.

EDIT2: Did a workaround with OWR, that's what it'll probably have to be. And the corners are still off. Unless all the diagonals here are perfectly flat it seems others are aware of this and never use the RHW diagonally in areas that aren't perfectly flat. FYI this clipping is almost the entire reason I only ever play on personally-constructed regions that are always almost completely flat and almost never touch community-made regions (and in the rare cases I do I never use RHW)...

EDIT3: I wholly regret that part about the executable, I was misled into thinking the game's handling of diagonals was at fault...

Tyberius06

@Wiimeiser:

Do you use slope or diagonal jagged edge mod? A slope mod would be essential I guess... I just tried and for me it's working perfectly. And here I don't even use the steepest setup.

Also I have Sudden Valley but I modified it to handle the diagonal jagged edges.
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1690

Slope Mod
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1512

I hope it helps

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Wiimeiser

Okay, I'll try that and see what changes.

EDIT: "Mountainous" setting seems to solve the problem, though close proximity corners on or near slopes sometimes act up, particularly the smoother corners.

fantozzi

May I ask: doesn't NAM have a build-in slope mod for RHW?

Would a slope mod work on RHW that was done for the base game?

I'm asking, because I always thought RHW is - despite the other NAM networks are overrides - a separated network on its own.

jeffryfisher

Quote from: fantozzi on October 13, 2018, 09:51:42 AM
May I ask: doesn't NAM have a build-in slope mod for RHW?

Would a slope mod work on RHW that was done for the base game?

I'm asking, because I always thought RHW is - despite the other NAM networks are overrides - a separated network on its own.
I've been told that NAM has no slope exemplars, and it prolly never will (which is too bad, because slope exemplars dearly need a tweaking interface like TSCT).
~

RHW is built upon the derelict "dirt road" network hidden within the original game. Open up a comprehensive slope mod in your editor and look for the dirt road exemplar. Experiment in a sandbox.
Modding PC games since 1993 (back when we needed hex-editors)