• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Totori

Started by Dantes, March 11, 2011, 05:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattb325

I very much like the open spaces concept with the canals through the centre  :thumbsup:

Nanami

Well said.... its still very interesting to see how you changed from machiya districts to major planned urban center. Looking forward to see more and great work so far!
I doubt that the newer major city lost the traditional grid system. I mean, I think Japanese urban areas have rather distinct characteristic for each region. For example, we have areas in Tokyo (except maybe Nihonbashi, Ginza and older neigborhoods) with rather chaotic layout. In other hand, rather new urban area like Sapporo has griddy road system like Kyoto and compared to other major cities, Sapporo is rather new (since Meiji Era). I think its more like the proper planning of the city creating the characteristic of itself. I like the idea you gave about making Japanese version of Paris. AFAIK current Paris city layout dated back since Haussmann Restoration in early 19th century.

Quote from: Akallan on July 24, 2017, 12:20:12 PM
Beautiful! You and Nanami make me love more and more Asian urbanism! &apls
psst don't bring my name into other MD :D thx anyway :P

siemanthepieman

Nice update. I love the boulevards in this setting.

Dantes

9 likes and 5 comments. I am happy  :) Thank youuuu!

@romualdillo: Okinawa is supposed to be very beautiful. I was not yet outside Europe and the Middle East.
@mattb325: Thank youuuuuu ! I like your new school!
@Nanami: *hug* You're right! There are still places in Japan with the original planned road network which is oriented to the land and is strictly geometric. Many small parcels form the great city landscape. I would like to urbanize this city extremely high.
@siemanthepieman: Thank you!
@korver: Thank you. If I see your works about 9 de Julio Avenue I need learn so much!  :o

Please visit: Nakahara http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=12773.msg519841;topicseen#newIt's an wonderful MD!

I'm still experimenting with the boulevards. I think for my urbanism I build a ring road. It is strongly deviating from the Japanese raster. I think I am separating such large high-rise neighborhoods from the traditional districts. I also researched about Ankor Wat. I have a lot of water channels in the metropolis. I think the construction of several Baray is important.

A) this:

B) this with more green ?

I need more urbanism.  :'(

art128

Last couple updates were really nice. It's good to see you're adding some more urbanism to your city.

Remember to resize your pictures to comply with this site rules. See how I edited your post to know. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Themistokles

I like the way you're reinventing your style of city building. :thumbsup:

However, I don't like urbanism that much. It's not that you're not doing it well (on the contrary, you are), it's that I don't like that way of building cities in the first place. I prefer new urbanism. :)
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

Akallan

Very pretty! I prefer the green basin rather than the other, but I would add a little greenery around I think. It starts well anyway! :thumbsup:
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

Dantes

@art128: Thank youuu for this picture code! *hug*  ()stsfd()  I learn a lot about an urbanism that I like.
@Themistokles:I think it's good that we build different models of city! "United in diversity" I know little about the new urbanism. I know only the European form. Is there an East Asian variant? I will continue to build many districts of the city traditionally with Machiya.
@Akallan:Many Thanks! I will use more suitable greening!

In the last picture of my last update you saw that the national plaza and the two boulevard were not properly connected. I changed the district.
The old national plaza with tower:

The new national plaza with (Louvre) Pyramid

I love MattB Buildings  :satisfied:

Seat of the local government of the federal state and the new town hall (MattB).

In front of the museum is a small place for parties.

The new convention center (MattB)  :)

Krasner

The night views (especially the closeup one) feel so comfy ::) Great work !
ANARCHIST !!

Odainsaker

There is wonderful work to see and read in this thread.

Quote from: Dantes on July 27, 2017, 11:25:22 AM
The Japanese urban landscape is tight, chaotic and controlled by financial capital. The original strict raster of traditional Japanese cities is obsolete. The grid of the Japanese traditional urban landscape is not a network of roads, but a network of land and borders. I have been developing an ever stricter network of city districts in my region for a few years. Machiya live by order and  discipline. I will develop the system. The urban landscape needs public space and everything must be in motion. Rio de Janero and Paris are a good example. I think I'll build a Japanese version of Paris. Spacious boulevards can be the border and bridge between urban high-rise urban centers and traditional Machiya.

I am immediately reminded of this fascinating watercolor map I once saw in a book on Tokyo urbanism:

This is a proposed redesign for the New Tokyo in the aftermath of the Great Kanto Earthquake in 1923.  The New Imperial Capital would be remodeled not on the usual pattern of ancient Kyoto or Tang Chang'an, nor even after the previous castle town of Edo onto which it overlays.  The model instead would be Baron Haussmann's Paris, complete with grand boulevards and radial starbursts celebrating lofty monuments interlinked in the Grand Manner of imperial European capitals.  The boulevards would provide grand vistas lined by be trees, and the overall map was surprisingly green for what was then a rapidly growing industrial center.

New Tokyo would still be a modern metropolis embracing the marvels of advanced transportation in a manner worthy of Daniel Burnham, who had made a similarly Parisian plan for Chicago, or the Italian Futurists with their giant transit blocks.  At the mouth of the Sumida River, what today would be Tsukishima and Toyosu islands would instead be a new mega airport and ocean liner terminal directly serving the central city.  So that the Graf Zeppelin would know where it was landing, "TOKIO" in mega letters larger than many city blocks demarcates the airport.  Connected to the land airport where today's reclaimed Ariake and Odaiba islands sit would instead be a sheltered seaplane water runway to serve the far flung reaches of the Pacific Ocean.  This airplane-seaplane-ocean liner transit hub would bridge over to Tsukiji, where the old fishmarket would be replaced with a monumental arrival plaza that radiates out into the Haussmann boulevard system while also leading on ceremonial axis to the Imperial Palace.  Being the 1920s, the architecture envisioned, and in many cases employed, was Art Deco of the late Taishō and early Shōwa eras, a style which at the time was originally called "Art Moderne."  In its fashionably grand modernity, the New Tokyo would even eclipse Paris.

Just add lines of sakura trees and an Arc de Triomphe the end.  As you cannot break the sightlines, no elevated concrete expressways are allowed!

Of course, this grandiose plan was never implemented, as many residents just wanted to quickly rebuild without loosing their property to costly redesign schemes or having their old neighborhoods artificially bisected by a new network of boulevards.  The plan only exists now as a visionary watercolor map, of which I only have a poor quality Xerox copy of a photo print from a book whose title I no longer remember.  However, I do admit, I often have this map in mind when I play SimCity.

romualdillo

Good renovation! I think it looks much better now... The square was too big for only a simple grass surface, but I liked the fountain with the small market shops... Good job!  :thumbsup:

Akallan

Wonderful night pictures! &apls
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

Dantes

@Odainsaker:  :o *no-words*
@all: Thank youuuuu!

Teaser:

I hope you like it  :)

feyss

Nice pictures!

The square on the left seems interesting. I need to see more of it  ;)

Nanami

Missed few stuffs... oh well I guess I need to visit here more often lol...

Anyway I really like your urban works! much better than mine IMO... these dense midrise stuff really reflect major city  (mostly Tokyo) scene in Japan IMO. Great job on making it!

art128

I just realized i forgot to comment here.

Interesting teaser, will be nice to see what you do with some highrises.

Happy New Year!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

geminiasp

I love seeing Japan (and Japanese inspired) cities, I was told about your blog. I do wish I could have seen your earlier pictures (I'm sorry about what happened to them  :( ) But the pictures I have seen are fantastic!

Where do you get your Japanese temple pieces?

Do you understand or speak Japanese?