• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

ÆRDEN ~ new streets!

Started by vortext, May 31, 2013, 11:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Themistokles

As you say, Traelonisk has a strong atmosphere. I love the way the walled city is not yet crammed with buildings, as it becomes over the centuries. Inside my head I can already picture how the city would develop through the ages, as buildings, roads, outer areas and eventually trams and rails etc. are added. It's really great that you push on with this region, it's truly special and unique in breadth, scope and authenticity.
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

Gugu3

I really like the look of your city! &apls

Simmer2

Erik Your attention to details is a true statement of dedication and the pursuit of perfection.  &apls &apls
________________________________________________________________________________

noahclem

Just stunning pictures of your unique and fantastic work! I have to admit to being relieved you've not given up this region. It's really neat seeing the walled town that still has plenty of space within its borders and the port makes me want to start working on another thing with the historic harbor set right away! :D  Always a pleasure to read through this area.

vortext

Welp, this is what happens when it's been a while and I restructured SC4 related folders & data in the meantime. .   :D

Take two, but not after putting the finishing touches on stage 5 lots, and lo and behold: they grow! Of course carefully controlled which lots I wanted to update.  ;)

Getting a bit crowded here. .  ()stsfd()

Current overview. Also, here's a neat little trick I discovered regarding the JENX terrain paints: if you turn the visual effects to the lowest settings the terrain paints actually disappear thus revealing the bare terrain underneath. This was quite useful because it allowed me to draw a new road while being able to see the grid, i.e. without having to need to bulldoze the terrain paints to see where I was going. Yay!

And final picture for today, pretty much the same angle/area already shown but I really like it.  :P

Anyway, hope everyone had nice holiday season and is accustomed to new year!  :)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Vizoria

Your Medieval Simcity is coming along just nicely! The scene with the marketplace and the livestock pens is really well put together.

kbieniu7

What a smoke!  :-XAt least there's open space so all this local pollution could be blown away!  ;D The terrain painting and coverage looks brilliant!
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

juliok102013

Your projects are very good. The last two photos were fantastic, congratulations!

If you'll excuse me, how did you manage to prevent the sand from appearing on your shore?

Gugu3

Great pictures! I really like your city!

Themistokles

Your city is growing. :thumbsup: (With that density of people and animals, beware of disease though! :D )
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

matias93

Quote from: juliok102013 on January 08, 2017, 12:40:22 PM
Your projects are very good. The last two photos were fantastic, congratulations!

If you'll excuse me, how did you manage to prevent the sand from appearing on your shore?

AFAIK, if can be done in two ways: modifying the terrain mod controller to reduce the beach length (I cannot remember the specific name of the exemplar, but it is described on the reader), or creating a beach mod with the same textures as the sea level grass of the terrain mod with GoFSH

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Akallan

Very nice work, I would love to have the knowledge like you to make villages like you! The BATs are really beautiful! &apls
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

compdude787

Wow, looks awesome! Coming along quite nicely!
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

art128

It is indeed coming alone, love the feel it has.  I'm eager to see this city evolve into a new modern metropolis at some point in the future. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

vortext

Welp, haven't done replies for 3 months!  :o Hang on this gonna be a post in progress. Starting with oldest comments. All done! And there're few pictures at the end.  ;)

Quote from: noahclem on October 21, 2016, 08:30:04 AM
Lovely picture  &apls  While I can sympathize with you losing some enthusiasm for your project I'm certainly ready for plenty more of AErden--what you've done here is both unique and startlingly impressive.

Going the flora route with the T21s is an interesting call but if it allows you to accomplish what you're after better than I'm sure it's the way to go and I'm certainly not qualified to second guess you in these kinds of areas :D

As for the picture competition, I think there's been a consensus that some change is needed for a long time but I'm still not sure what that could be. If one thread is struggling to stay active then two threads could very well make the problem worse. To be honest almost all my pictures in that thread have been 'shopped but usually it's only for traffic, etc. Dividing that from more drastic changes could be a bit tricky. My thought is that the best way forward (though there could be multiple, simultaneous ways forward too) would be making voting more accessible: being able to do so with a click versus a post should drive voting up and I've been thinking for a while that having it somehow as part of the front page would be awesome (maybe hover over each picture to see full size and have an option to click for one's favorite without leaving the page). Changes in how to qualify for HoF could help as well. We could set a percentage of winners that should get HoF status and put them to a later vote, for example. We could even try to do something like that this November for the birthday month....

Thanks Noah! Not as much time nowadays but plenty of stuff still in the pipeline - as always!  :D As for the picture competition, it seems the debate has quiet down, as has the competition itself unfortunately. Not sure what to do about it except encourage people reading this once more to just enter pictures I guess.

Quote from: compdude787 on October 22, 2016, 09:09:35 AM
That's a nice little town there!! :thumbsup:

Thank you!

Quote from: Silur on October 22, 2016, 03:09:26 PM
Hi, Vortext ...
Always love Your works!!!
Your diagonal houses are LM or real Residental with Id and CS connections? Thank You.

The diagonal houses are indeed properly working residentials, 1x1 corner lots to be specific. Thanks!

Quote from: APSMS on October 22, 2016, 03:57:54 PM
Quote from: feyss on October 03, 2016, 07:24:56 AM
Your work looks like an entire new SC4 add-on. You've got reat modding skills  :thumbsup: One question though, I'm a little bit curious: Are your towns functionals or 100% eye-candy ?
Vortext and Simcoug (of New Sorgun fame) share an affinity for fully functional cities. It's a level of dedication far beyond my commitment to the game, but seeing their stuff always makes me want to try (until I actually do, and then I realize that I might do my desk (and head) a favor if I don't :D).

As re: the Picture Competition, It would be interesting to leave the current one as is, and then use a second competition for only functional, unedited city pictures. So anyone could compete, but no Photoshop, no eye-candy only scenes, and no mosaics (?). This would still give a degree of freedom for experienced players, as well as encourage newer players with no photoshop or MMP skills. I'm not sure this would alleviate the primary problem, but short of having a Vanilla only competition (which would get attention from all of 2 players) and a beginners-only thread (what defines a beginner), I think this would be the only feasible way to open up the thread to less intense/perfection oriented players.

Personally I do almost no photoediting to my pictures, and it would be nice to have a place where only your skill as a city builder was challenged, rather than your Photoshop skills (which, I have to admit, in korver's place seem to be phenomenal). Obviously attention to detail is still key, but we don't really have the user base to set up dedicated challenges like ST, and even ST has problems sometimes with participation, nor do I think it's ideal to set up something highly regulated (like a monthly contest). I like the idea of a prolonged voting period, but I'm not sure we have the manpower or userbase to set up something that structured.

Yeah, an 'unedited' competition is still something I'd be in favour of trying out, though it all stands or falls by participation rate, which going be the current state of the competition does not look too promising.  &mmm  And yes, banging one's head on desk is par for the course of modding all things!  $%Grinno$%

~ right, making myself bit easier and skipping some comments between APSMS & Silur  ::) ~

Quote from: kbieniu7 on October 23, 2016, 05:27:45 AM
Hah, that's almost the same photo. It's just turned 90 degrees and in autumn colours, who you want to trick?  :P You'll make as you wish with your mod. Good luck!  :)

A propos de picture competition. Maybe, it would be a good idea to set the border between in-game and photoshop- and other-external-help-allowing photos. However, lack of MMPs seems for me to be a little bit too far limitation.

Darn it, my clever picture taking technique has been foiled.  :D  And yes, that's basically what I had in mind - no external editting - because it's a clear rule to adhere to. MMP-ing, lot editting, BATs and all other custom stuff would still be allowed.

Quote from: kelis on October 27, 2016, 03:43:30 AM
Love it !! Still in love with those diagonals  $%Grinno$%

Perhaps a bigger square in front of that little church could be a good addition  :thumbsup:

Thank you Jonathan! Yeah the church was bit of an afterthought, I simply wanted something along that diagonal street. Perhaps one day I'll revisit it.  ;)

Quote from: kbieniu7 on November 01, 2016, 10:01:52 AM
Why you don't want to bother with Polish? :( When, we've just shared a medieval town gate from Kraków that, I believe, would perfectly fit into your grandiose capital :(

http://www.simcitypolska.pl/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=492

Just joking, I know the English language enough, I know what the second meaning of "polish" is ;P

When I looked at the first and second photo, my first thought was: "dear God, how much smoke and air pollution", haha! I read about your words about looking and "soaking" into a region and I perfectly understand you. I had the same with mine, sometimes I like to watch it, see the towns and villages I've built and sometimes haven't visited for months or years, looking at the market squares, churches, roads etc. Even if it may sound a little bit narcissistic of us  :D

Sometimes I see, I've built a big history about the region inside of my head, but I always wonder, how to present it to the others, so it won't be boring nor chaotic  :-\

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I got so many idea's behind how & why the region developed but writing it all down as an interesting 'rpg' history with fiction and real history intertwined as I initially intended is just, well, too much work frankly. Thanks for the kind words!

Quote from: manga rivotra on November 01, 2016, 10:58:40 AM
QuoteAnyway. I really enjoyed looking at Traelonisk and just soaking in the atmosphere, so to speak, and I actually took some pictures! Yay
And i enjoy these pics a lot too !  ;D
Great job with these little vegetable garden and this beautiful little medieval port. The historic atmosphere is perfectly rendered. &apls &apls

Thank you, glad to hear it!  :)

Quote from: FrankU on November 02, 2016, 08:31:48 AM
Great work as always Erik!

Thanks Frank!

Quote from: Vizoria on November 02, 2016, 10:47:05 AM
Good stuff! Those textures of yours are fabulous!

Thank you!

Quote from: Themistokles on November 02, 2016, 01:32:26 PM
As you say, Traelonisk has a strong atmosphere. I love the way the walled city is not yet crammed with buildings, as it becomes over the centuries. Inside my head I can already picture how the city would develop through the ages, as buildings, roads, outer areas and eventually trams and rails etc. are added. It's really great that you push on with this region, it's truly special and unique in breadth, scope and authenticity.

Thanks for the kind words!  :)

Quote from: Gugu3 on November 03, 2016, 02:16:17 AM
I really like the look of your city! &apls

Thank you!

Quote from: Simmer2 on November 03, 2016, 09:51:42 AM
Erik Your attention to details is a true statement of dedication and the pursuit of perfection.  &apls &apls

Thanks Nick! Though sometimes it's to my own detriment. . ::)  :D

Quote from: noahclem on November 03, 2016, 04:20:34 PM
Just stunning pictures of your unique and fantastic work! I have to admit to being relieved you've not given up this region. It's really neat seeing the walled town that still has plenty of space within its borders and the port makes me want to start working on another thing with the historic harbor set right away! :D  Always a pleasure to read through this area.

Thank you Noah! I'm really pleased I've not given up either, was rather close to doing so. Just have to get used to a slower development pace - as if there ever was a fast paced development to begin with. .   $%Grinno$%

Quote from: Vizoria on January 08, 2017, 08:40:21 AM
Your Medieval Simcity is coming along just nicely! The scene with the marketplace and the livestock pens is really well put together.

Thanks! Funny story about the livestock pens, the lot itself is a relot of the farmers market and the pens were the first things I made for it. Then I changed my mind on the lot dimension and remade the pens in mirror image in the opposite corner, only to find there were some slope issues so I had to move and flip it again. . &sly. .  :D

Quote from: kbieniu7 on January 08, 2017, 08:40:29 AM
What a smoke!  :-XAt least there's open space so all this local pollution could be blown away!  ;D The terrain painting and coverage looks brilliant!

Yeah I may have overdone it a bit. .  ::)  Thanks!

Quote from: juliok102013 on January 08, 2017, 12:40:22 PM

Thanks! As matias93 said I've set the beach height & width very small. However in these particular pictures the beach texture is covered by terrain paints I've plopped in the river. You can see the actual beach in the pictures below.

Quote from: Gugu3 on January 09, 2017, 01:07:02 AM
Great pictures! I really like your city!

Thank you!

Quote from: Themistokles on January 09, 2017, 11:52:25 AM
Your city is growing. :thumbsup: (With that density of people and animals, beware of disease though! :D )

Yeah it'd be really neat if population density was a health factor but alas. Thanks!

Quote from: Akallan on January 10, 2017, 08:27:24 AM
Very nice work, I would love to have the knowledge like you to make villages like you! The BATs are really beautiful! &apls

Thank you! Though I should point out the BATs are not mine, they were made by JENX long time ago (and not - yet - available).

Quote from: compdude787 on January 10, 2017, 10:49:55 PM
Wow, looks awesome! Coming along quite nicely!

Thanks!

Quote from: art128 on January 11, 2017, 12:27:08 AM
It is indeed coming alone, love the feel it has.  I'm eager to see this city evolve into a new modern metropolis at some point in the future. :)

You and me both Arthur!  :D

Phew, that were a lot of replies to get through! Thanks everyone for commenting!  :thumbsup:

Small update today. First 'the great expansion' of Traelonisk continues. .  $%Grinno$%

Really pleased with this lot configuration as the alley formed organically in between them, pretty much at the same place I'd a MMP path previously. Happy little accident, to paraphrase Bob Ross.  ()stsfd()

Also started a new settlement two tiles down from Traelonisk (this probably doesn't mean much to you, I'll do a region update sometime soon), when I found a neat little canal, harbor thingy in the menus. Initially I made it for Traelonisk but I foregone placing it during the 'prop pox rebuild' and then totally forgot about it. So yeah, nice surprise to find it again.

Bigger picture.

And the even bigger picture. The meadows to the right have been there for ages.

Should be pretty obvious what the plans here are, right?!  $%Grinno$%  :D

All right that's it for today, bye!  :)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

kbieniu7

Quote from: vortext on January 29, 2017, 06:39:25 AMPretty much hit the nail on the head. I got so many idea's behind how & why the region developed but writing it all down as an interesting 'rpg' history with fiction and real history intertwined as I initially intended is just, well, too much work frankly. Thanks for the kind words!

Yeah, maybe start with sharing a region view with all places named. And described in few words (if you have some more than just Traelonisk) :) Anyway, your MD is quite slowly walking, so it would be easy enough to keep up with even bigger descriptions.

Quote from: vortext on January 29, 2017, 06:39:25 AMShould be pretty obvious what the plans here are, right?!
A motorway!

Oh, wait... not this story...

So, I can see a place for another town or village with a port or docks ;) And now techincally speaking - I love the nature and this wilderness around... making me imagine how did it look like back then  &Thk/(  Please, make an update that goes along this river, show more of the nature and single settlements!

Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Sciurus

Your landscapes are so lovely &apls &apls
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Vizoria

Yet more Medieval awesomeness! Nice one.

brick_mortimer

My historian's heart rejoices when I see such a beautiful medieval landscape  ;D
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

Nanami

Middle ages-era styled Simcity 4 picture... Never think this actually working really well. these are really nicely done work.