• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How to Run SC4 in Linux

Started by ChiefZDN, January 21, 2017, 02:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefZDN

Hello members,

I want to play SimCity 4 again. However, my new environment isn't Windows, but it is Linux. How to play SC4 Deluxe (disc edition) in Linux? I was installed Wine & PlayOnLinux.

Best regards,

Zaydan.

vester

Please do a google search (or forum search). Did one on sc4 linux and got this thread over the ST:
Play SimCity 4 in Linux!

There is a thread or two here a sc4d as well.

Handyman

I just finished an instruction sheet to install SC4D (Disc version) in Wine. I have tested it several times and it seems solid. I currently use Ubuntu/Gnome 14.04. See PDF attached below.

ChiefZDN

Quote from: Handyman on January 21, 2017, 05:49:10 AM
I just finished an instruction sheet to install SC4D (Disc version) in Wine. I have tested it several times and it seems solid. I currently use Ubuntu/Gnome 14.04. See PDF attached below.

Thanks for your info. But, why my SimCity 4 can't be run? I was read your tutorial & I used Ubuntu 14.04 (more specificly Elementary OS 0.3.2 "Freya") with Wine 1.6.2. And, when I ran SC4 in Terminal, it shown that SecDrv driver couldn't be started.

Handyman

Thanks for your info. But, why my SimCity 4 can't be run? I was read your tutorial & I used Ubuntu 14.04 (more specificly Elementary OS 0.3.2 "Freya") with Wine 1.6.2. And, when I ran SC4 in Terminal, it shown that SecDrv driver couldn't be started.

ChiefZDN - It would help if you re-run it in the terminal again, then copy&paste the output into another post.

mgb204

Is this perhaps related to the removal of the Safedisc copy protection system in Windows?

SC4 disks require a driver, SecDrv.sys to validate your SC4 CD is genuine, without it, you can't start the game. So, even if you are using Linux, you must have this Windows driver installed. This is not unique to SC4 either, SafeDisc was used extensively with PC games for many years.

ChiefZDN

Quote from: mgb204 on January 21, 2017, 09:20:52 PM
Is this perhaps related to the removal of the Safedisc copy protection system in Windows?

SC4 disks require a driver, SecDrv.sys to validate your SC4 CD is genuine, without it, you can't start the game. So, even if you are using Linux, you must have this Windows driver installed. This is not unique to SC4 either, SafeDisc was used extensively with PC games for many years.

So, what any solution to fix the SecDrv problem?

Sorry if my English wrong.

Handyman

Quote from: mgb204 on January 21, 2017, 09:20:52 PM

It could be that or maybe the disks are copies. Copied disks will work fine for installing but you still need the original disk2 to run it. It could also be a missing .dll file.

mgb204

Sorry, not from me at least... I'm not familiar enough with Linux to help you there. But, I know you would need the driver. In the case of Windows users, you can either uninstall a security update or if using Windows 10 where that's not possible, you need to replace your disks with a digital version, which doesn't have this protection system. More details on that are in this thread. But again, hopefully a Linux user may know if there is a way to install this driver, I suspect it's possible though.

Before I can click POST, Handyman to the rescue... sort of... Indeed, the whole idea behind the copy protection is that it can not be copied. So if your disks were not genuine, you can install but not play the game. Assuming that's not the case though, it's because the driver required to validate what's on the disc is missing.

And don't worry about your English, it's perfectly understandable  :)

ChiefZDN

However, the disc can be readed correctly by SimCity 4 in Windows. I guess, the problem isn't on my disc. The 'secdrv' error output still occur even when I run another EXEs in Terminal.

Handyman

In any case the Terminal print out would help. Maybe won't solve it, but may help eliminate something.

ChiefZDN

Quote from: Handyman on January 21, 2017, 09:59:17 PM
In any case the Terminal print out would help. Maybe won't solve it, but may help eliminate something.

I will send the proof soon, because I'm viewing SimCity 4 Devotion in my tablet.

ChiefZDN

Here is the proof.

Running some apps make the secdrv error outputted.

And, when I place secdrv.sys (not signed, got from internet) to C:\Windows\system32, \drivers, it is shown page fault error. What's solution to solve this problem? Is sign the driver the right solution?

Sorry for bad English

EDIT Vester: Added  width=1024 to the image tags.

Handyman

It appears you are using a 64bit version of wine. SC4 is a 32bit program. Are you using wine for any other programs? The solution will be different if you actually need 64bit wine for other programs.

ChiefZDN

Quote from: Handyman on January 22, 2017, 08:07:16 AM
It appears you are using a 64bit version of wine. SC4 is a 32bit program. Are you using wine for any other programs? The solution will be different if you actually need 64bit wine for other programs.

I am tried to use PlayOnLinux. I will send the result soon.

Handyman

I have been looking at your Terminal captures a little more and have realized a couple of issues.
You are using PlayOnLinux but the commands you are using are directed to the default wine prefix.wine.
The following is a quote from another post of mine, please give it a read;

First I should point out that "Wine" and "PlayOnLinux" store there prefixes in different places. You can have both installed on the same computer and they will work fine, as separate processes. If you open Nautilis (file browser), goto your "Home" folder and click the drop down list to enable "Show Hidden Files" ( Ctrl+H ) you will find a ".PlayOnLinux folder" and a ".wine" folder."

I think you will find both of these folders in your Home folder.

If SimCity is installed in PlayOnLinux it has a function to create shortcuts on your Desktop, in one of the Configuration tabs.
A shortcut command to run SimCity in PlayOnLinux would look something like this:

/usr/share/playonlinux/playonlinux --run "SimCity 4" %F

Notice that it refers to playonlinux and your commands do not. I know SimCity will run in PlayOnLinux because I used it for almost 2 years. I would ask that you spend a little time with the documentation, it would be time well spent. The Configuration screen options are of particular importance.
Also, if you have a minute, take a look at my post at Simtropolis -http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/72249-how-to-use-wine-with-sc4d-nam-modding-tools/

ChiefZDN

Problem resolved. Thanks for your attention & help. Thank to Vester because he is adding 1024 width max to the my image post.  :thumbsup: