• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

1950s to 1980s / post-war houses ?

Started by Kitsune, March 25, 2017, 08:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune

I'm looking for houses that would fit the 1950s to 1980s period.... and I'm hoping someone can help me to save me from going through the gazzalion search results between the lex and stex.
~ NAM Team Member

kbieniu7

Not sure, what you exactly mean. There are plenty of homes from around 1960s-1980s at SimCityPolska, but they are typical to Polish and Easter European landscape, I don't know if it's the style that you're looking for.

http://www.simcitypolska.pl/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=217
http://www.simcitypolska.pl/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=106
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3423
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

vester

A member of SFBT have done some nice house blocks

Look through Andreas' upload the SC4D LEX.

Here is a few SFBT housing blocks:

The first two could easy be from Denmark. :)
Its hard help you more without a bit more information on what you are looking for.

twalsh102

There are a couple of problems with a request like this:
1.  How does one define what a house "that would fit the 1950s to the 1980s period" would look like?  I'm not sure even a student of architecture could define a typical "look" from a time period that spans almost 40 years.
2.  As Vester and kbieniu7 pointed out, even if one could define a look, it would vary from country to country.
3.  Just because the years continue to march on, houses from earlier periods don't stop "fitting."  The first house I remember as a child in the early 1960s, still exists today.  Craftsman-style homes from the 1930s, and Victorian-style homes from the 1800s still proliferate in many towns and cities across the US.  In the deep south of the US, one can still find many examples of plantation-style houses dating from the pre-Civil War period.  Just because they are old, doesn't mean they don't "fit" any more.  A similar mix of styles from various time periods is going to be found in just about every country across the globe.
4.  My initial reaction would be that you would know best what "look" you are looking for.  But I guess it's possible that the reason you are asking the question is that you aren't sure yourself what that "look" should be.
5.  As a start, I would guess that the majority of the Maxis low- and medium-wealth single-family homes would "fit."  Mattb325 has a number of catalogue homes from the early to mid 1900s that would still have been prevalent during the period you're interested in.  Also take a look at his John Brogan homes from the immediate post-war period in Australia.

Kitsune

yeah I can see the confusion now. Toronto (which some say is the most sim city city in the world) has not had any new suburbs since the 1980s... all new stuff is outside of the city. Coming from Calgary, I can tell the difference between the modern stuff out there - and the post (ww2) war here. The city I'm developing will be using the Maxis brick for that pre-ww2 as it does a pretty good job of matching some older neighboorhoods in Toronto, except I'll be relotting it to fit as many houses as I can in a 1x5/6/7/etc strip (they are so close your shoulders can touch both houses). The mattB modern stuff will be for the modern neighboorhoods. I'll have to go hunting for some pics. I can identify the post 1954 stuff as there are black/white aerial photographs from that year of all of Southern Ontario with great quality.
~ NAM Team Member

FrankU

Hi Kitsune,

In contradiction to what twalsh102 wrote it is definitely possible to define 1950-1980ies housing. At least in my country: the Netherlands.
I happen to have been a student of architecture, an now I am a graduated architect for almost 25 years.
I Europe we had WW2 as internal affairs (not only foreign affairs like in Canada and USA), so in 1945 we suffered form several shortages, like materials and housing.
Before 1940 the dominating architectural style was an expressionist brick style. After 1945 we changed to a simplified modernism that was practical for mass production. You can see the cut in style very clearly in every town and village.
So in the 1950ies we had this modernist style, mostly in brick (brick is our way to build since the invetion of it). Then in the 1960 we tended to change details and also the houses got a bit bigger. Also high rise appeared, and brutalism: originally an experssionist style based on raw concrete.
In the 1970ies we changed into a more varied brick style. Mainly in urbanist plans you see the winding streets and the small scale details.

I did make some relots with models by several people.
Take a look

My university uses a good example of Brutalism
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3175

Row houses 1960ies
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3258

Dutch housing project 1920-1970. Some of them are useful for you.
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3367

In my read mes you can find the links to the original models.

You certainly should look for Haarlemmergold. Although most of his work is pre-WW2, even pre WW1, but some work is post WW2.

Good luck!

Kitsune

Thank you FrankU. Someone linked me to minneapolis houses on the stex last nite that will fit, I just have to use pim-x to cam-ify and re-lot them. In Toronto the late 19th stuff left is in a neighborhood called the Annex. The houses are unique - you wont find them anywhere else in the world apparently. So close together your shoulders can touch two houses at once. My neighborhood is early 20th century (heres proof from down the street:

)

Its filled with Edwardian and Victorian houses with the odd Tudor throw in. I may try finding some houses like these that can handle a 1 tile lot (the plots in my neighboorhood are 16 to 18m x 16 to 18m on average...)
~ NAM Team Member