• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bombardiere's London, British and Other BATs

Started by bombardiere, February 15, 2016, 10:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

belfastsocrates

That looks excellent! A nice array of small commercial buildings like these would be fantastic. So many opportunities to create a small village with things like a pub, post office, bakery and so on...

A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

vortext

Lovely!  &apls

There'll never be too many small w2ws!!  $%Grinno$% :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

bombardiere

A quick preview to show that I have not completely dropped batting. :)

I am again up to my Georgian antics. :) This one is a bit more ambitious than the ones I have done before. I still need to add some details such as drainpipes and I need to decide what I want to do with the yard.

I am happy how my modelling skill are improving. While I like the aesthetics of the Georgian architecture, I might get adventurous  and try some Victorian later on. May be even Victorian Gothic. :D But it is the texturing that makes or breaks the BAT.

I am not sure if a quiz is a good idea, but I am going to do one anyway. ;) Can anyone guess where this building is located? It is based on a real London building. I have changed or simplified some details, but it might be recognisable.

feyss

10 Downing Street ?  ;D

Looks great so far btw. I like the fact the basement's windows can get some light with that 'hole' (there must be another name, but I don't even know it in my own language) in front of the building, that's something original in comparison with all the SC4 BATs already available  :thumbsup:

matias93

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

reddonquixote

Don't think its Downing Street...  $%Grinno$%

It looks very much identical to 6 Bedford Square, Bloomsbury.. but that seems pretty random lol...

Great work in any case  :thumbsup:

Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

bombardiere

Quote from: reddonquixote on March 24, 2017, 03:04:08 PM

It looks very much identical to 6 Bedford Square, Bloomsbury..

Well, perhaps because I based it on the 6 Bedford Square. :D :D :D   :thumbsup:

https://www.google.fi/maps/@51.5192822,-0.1291734,3a,89.7y,53.86h,103.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-ta9ntJeCJ3uIr0mLu-rqA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

And I thought it would be too hard to identify the house.  ::) Well, for me it is very promising if the model is so easily recognisable. :) But it is the textures which make or break this BAT.

@matias93 So no exit song for David. ;) Although I have found a good set of plans of the 10 Downing Street as it was on the 30's, so it is in my things to do list. ;) The facade is quite simple, but whole Downing street is a complex. I don't want to do it leaving out the numbers 11 and 12 the Chancellor's house.

@feyss. I believe the "hole" is called as an area or open well. At least in the English architecture. I thank you, but this is not a SC4 first. There are a number of sunken plazas and etc which use the same underground modelling technique and about a year ago Jasoncw upload his Warwick Square BATs at the STEX. Those are from slightly later period, but have similar dugouts. I so I just copy methods someone else has invented. :)

feyss

Yeah, that's true, I forgot about those sunken plazas. Anyway, it's still uncommon regarding W2W buildings (except Jasoncw's work as you said), so it's a great idea to do other BATs like that  ;)

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

mgb204

Great to see you are still at it.

The modelling looks great and given the texturing of your last Georgian houses was superb, I'm confident you will dazzle us with the eventual result.  :thumbsup:

bombardiere

Thank you all for your kind words.

Quote from: mgb204 on March 27, 2017, 07:11:38 AM

The modelling looks great and given the texturing of your last Georgian houses was superb, I'm confident you will dazzle us with the eventual result.  :thumbsup:

I wish I had your confidence.  ::) The modelling was pretty easy. It took me some 4 evenings to do it. But now I have spent a week struggling with the textures.  :'( Textures which look perfectly fine in the GIMP program get pixelated in the 3DS MAX, I am not happy with the bricks and what is the colour of the white?  :P

Well this is what I got. It is a clean version. No effects or saturation fixes. Just the basic texture.

One area which has given me a much of headache is the brick texture. I can't make up my mind if the brick should oversized or not. I have noticed that many batters have made brick and similar tiles oversized. However they mostly have made their BATs as SD, so I am not sure how a brick texture such as i have used actually work in HD environment. I tried to make smaller brick, but the result was pixelated and at least for the moment I stick with larger than real life brick.

@Girafe Could I ask a favour from you. I am very grateful for the render setup you made for me. I would not be Batting, if your render setup wouldn't solved the fuzziness problem. However, could I ask you to do me similar setups for Maxis and Dark Nights. That would save me time and effort when making nightviews. 

Ernestmaxis

Fantastic your model looks 10 times better then the original. Love the bricks I should not change it:)

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________

c.p.

The dark bricks look great, in my opinion, as does the roof. :thumbsup:  The mortar joints of white brick seem a little too dark/thick/intense to me.

noahclem

Looks awesome and I really like the foundation  &apls  Can't offer much advice on textures and the like but quite like it already.

reddonquixote

Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

bombardiere

Thanks. Great. I got in the texture mood yesterday.  :satisfied:

Quote from: c.p. on April 02, 2017, 11:06:00 AM
The dark bricks look great, in my opinion, as does the roof. :thumbsup:  The mortar joints of white brick seem a little too dark/thick/intense to me.

Agree  ;) That was my bump map test. A slight change and tadaa the black lines are gone. To paraphrase the Snickers ad, "Better?" Better. :)

Sure I dip it in mud but I want to see some patina in my buildings. :D After all this is a 200 years old building.

This may be the last preview. I may do some minor changes, but over all I think this is it. However, I got ambitious and I might do a full row. Smaller building in plain brick.

A side note. That brick is interesting to me. The Bedford Square is relative famous and in many architecture books. And some of you may have visited that square. I have. So my first impression was that the brick is brownish and dark. But when I use google Earth and look at close, I can see the houses are made of yellow brick. Quite typical in central London. However the time and dirt has made it look vaguely brown. That is why I chose a dark brown texture, even though I now know that the original colour was Yellow Brown.

vortext

Very nice wear and tear!  &apls

Maybe the facade could use a tad more smudges here and there (e.g. underneath windowsills), other than that looks really nice.  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Simcoug

Great modeling and the texturing is coming along nicely  :thumbsup:

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________