• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

El-Rail to normal ground rail?

Started by EbonRose, September 09, 2009, 10:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EbonRose

Can this be done?  I swear I've seen it in some MDs, but I can't find a piece anywhere to let me transition from an elevated rail to a standard rail, on the ground.  I see the piece to go from el-rail to subway, but that's not really what I want to do.  Are the standard ground trains of a different type to the el-rail/subway trains, and thus incompatible?  Any and all advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

PS - I only just installed the NAM and the Railway Addon Mod, so they're up to date.  If I somehow missed a mod/addon, that would explain my frustration...

TEG24601

There are actually two things at work.  There is Elevated Heavy Rail, which is built into NAM, and there is Ground Light Rail, which is an extension of the EL-Rail/Subway system.  I am not aware of a working transition between El-Rail and Heavy Rail, but I may be wrong.

Korot

I do know that some heavy rail to GLR transitions exist, but those are lots and thus aren't incorporated into the NAM. I guess you'll have to search the STEX for those lots.

Regards,
Korot

choco

i believe caribou made some transitions, but the STEX search isn't workin for me.  IIRC, they are not lots, and shouldn't need to be, as the El-Rail/GLR in the NAM are also heavy rail pathed to make UDI functional.....

i think the problem then becomes controlling the rail traffic on the El-rail/GLR lines, as they essentially become part of the light rail network.

Swamper77

Quote from: choco on September 10, 2009, 07:43:04 AM
i believe caribou made some transitions, but the STEX search isn't workin for me.  IIRC, they are not lots, and shouldn't need to be, as the El-Rail/GLR in the NAM are also heavy rail pathed to make UDI functional.....

i think the problem then becomes controlling the rail traffic on the El-rail/GLR lines, as they essentially become part of the light rail network.

If rail traffic uses the El-Rail/GLR lines, those lines turn red on the congestion map, regardless if the traffic controller is set to allow rail traffic to travel on El-Rail/GLR lines.

-Jan
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

Monorail Master

Well, I did some exploring during school hours on my laptop, and I found this :
http://homepage2.nifty.com/caribou/slope.htm

I beleive that this is what you are talking about. I just need to see if it's UDI compatable.

EDIT : Everyone start crying. The Caribou el-rail transfer lots that is in the link are.....NOT UDI COMPATIBLE!!!! :(
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Korot

Of course they aren't, as they connect two different traffic types. Though I do not know how exactly the NAM team made El-Rail UDI compatible, but I guess they made sure it can't ride on rail, one way or the other.

Regards,
Korot

choco

Quote from: Swamper77 on September 10, 2009, 01:03:15 PM
If rail traffic uses the El-Rail/GLR lines, those lines turn red on the congestion map, regardless if the traffic controller is set to allow rail traffic to travel on El-Rail/GLR lines.

-Jan
thanks for the clarification.... :thumbsup:

Terring7

Quote from: Korot on September 11, 2009, 03:02:11 AMOf course they aren't, as they connect two different traffic types. Though I do not know how exactly the NAM team made El-Rail UDI compatible, but I guess they made sure it can't ride on rail, one way or the other.

And what about this?

Or this?

UDI-able Functioning Rail to GLR Conversion ;D
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

k808j

Did I miss something? How did you get that GLR/Rail set up on the left?

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

cogeo

This is possible, because that "transition" is actually a transit-enabled lot (the one tile is GLR and the other is rail), ie a "station" actually. The el-rail (GLR) train runs on the rail track because it's actually a rail automaton for UDI.

I experimented with these too, but the results were not satisfactory. What I wanted to do was having the light-rail automata (I mean normal automata, not UDI ones) running on the (heavy) rail track, as is the case in many real cities, with their suburban services (they are extended to the suburbs and use the rail nework for parts of their routes). But what happened was actually the opposite, heavy trains were running on the light rail tracks instead. And this is easy to explain, pathfiles for GLR contain rail paths too, for implementing the rail-based UDI, while pathfiles for rail contain only rail paths.

dragonshardz

Simple solution: Plop a GLR starter piece. Then plop a Heavy Rail puzzle piece on the side that you can't drag tracks out of.

Voila.

ASCII graphics:
- GLR
= Rail
| non-draggable side of puzzle piece.

--||==