• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Unable to Download iLive Reader 1.2

Started by Sorengaard, May 10, 2010, 09:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorengaard

I am not able to download the latest version of iLive Reader 1.2.  When I download it and double click on the Reader.exe it starts to download the Reader but it is then interrupted by "Reader.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."

So I then download the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package" link provided and it seems to download the link.  I get a pop up window that has a Repair button to click for Repair Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable to its original state and an Uninstall button to click to Uninstall Microsoft Visual C++2008 Redistributable from this computer.  When I click the Repair Button I get a further download with a pop up window heading "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86). "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable has been successfully repaired.  It is highly recommended that you download and install the latest service packs and security update for this product from the Product Support Center.  When I go there I have no clue as to what all the items are.

I get the same result from Reader exe. as before from this "repair".  I have no idea what all this means.  I don't even know if I have Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package.  The repair doesn't have SP1 in its name.  But this is what happens when I use the two links given to download. I also checked with Windows XP Updates and it says I am up to date.   I hope this isn't all that confusing because it sure is to me.  Thanks for any help,  Steve

ilive

Hi Sorengaard

I don't think the problem comes from the 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package'.
If this package is not installed and you try to run Reader, the message is 'The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect'.

On your case, it seems this is a problem in the code of Reader.
Have you tries to remove the registry key of the Reader program ? This key is located under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ilive.

Sorengaard

Thanks for the reply. I have no idea how to remove the registry key of the Reader program nor locate HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ilive. I believe this is beyond my limited computer knowledge. In any case thanks again.  Steve

Sorengaard

Well I gave it a try.  Set a System Restore Point.  Ran Regedit and lo and behold found an iLive Reader file under software.  I deleted the entire thing.  Reloaded the program and much to my surprise it worked. It does have a pop up window saying "No Reader.ini detected. You need to setup the Reader for optimal performance." Any advise on how best to use the Options Window that opens to do this?  Thanks again for a bit of an ego boost.  Steve

ilive

In the option screen, the following settings should be set :
-check UI preview, Prompt when exiting, Auto fills the main list, display outlook bar
-fill the simcitylocale.dat field
-fill the simcity folder if not already filled
-in the filter file, put the path+filename of new_properties.xml (for exemple : c:\sc\new_properties.xml)
-in the xml properties files, add the path+filename of new_properties.xml (so the same value as filter file field)

iLive

Sorengaard

Thanks again so much for all the help.  Steve