• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ennedi plays Shosaloza

Started by Ennedi, August 25, 2007, 10:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danthe

100 POSTS - congrats &apls

Great update Ennedi :thumbsup: Housing estates looks fantastic. A stone walls along roads and streets stressed mountain character of city, in this destination it's very well. To next...

rooker1

Congrats for reaching the 100 post mark.
Aweomse update, I really like the snow shelters along the road up the mountain. 

&apls &apls &apls

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

bat

First congrats for more than 100 comments!
And that is a wonderful new update! Great work! :thumbsup:

TheTeaCat

Another wonderful update with beautiful pics too. &apls
Your winding roads as they climb the mountain side look fantastic especially the one with the avalanche protector! That is something I wouldn't mind seeing a closer view of ;)

Your extraterrestrial encounter was a nice touch and your work around - very clever ;D ;D

All in all certainly deserving of a

till the next time ;)

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Asimov

Excellent work you're doing here, a beautiful countryside and lot's of Details in the Settlements. And Thanks for the tip about the Japanese Walls, I have to try them myself definetly, especially the gray one you're using here looks really good.

thundercrack83

Congratulations on your 100th comment, Ennedi! You're doing a fantastic job around here!

Ennedi

Hello my friends,

I need a few days to prepare the new update, I am also preparing an answer to Badsim (it needs some time too, please for some patience - I want to make it interesting to the others too ;))

In the meantime I would like to show the process of making mountain road - some of you informed me you like it. Maybe it will be useful for somebody.

But earlier

Jmouse: Hello Joan, I'm glad you like my work, but a lot of things are new for me and if you will see anything wchich could be changed/improved, tell me about it! I would like to make a place where I could invite you all for good vacations  ;)

thundercrack83: Thank you my friend, using these NAM curves on slopes is a crazy idea :D and the result is not always good. If you like to see both construction and the finished product, this post is for you :thumbsup:

Dark_Jedi06: These rail and road curves are great, but using them is difficult. They caused a great progress in making transit networks.
I'm not sure if my answer about these diesel engines was useful  &mmm Maybe we should ask for them somebody else?
Edit: I have good news for you! I didn't find the source of Trolca Train Mods, but I was today on Gizmo's site and all train props you can need are there - look at it! (you need to register earlier)

Sober: Thank you again, and I must say an important thing: My information about conflict between MAS71 Walls and David's Water Rapids is not actual yet! I checked it yesterday and I was extremely surprised - everything works good now. I have now the last version of Japanese Walls from ST, maybe the earlier one was caused a conflict.

Danthe: As always, nice to see you here, about walls - I must learn more to make them more natural ;)

rooker1: Thank you Robin, these snow shelters are rather a raw idea than a finished product :D

bat: As always nice to see you, thanks for your comment!

TheTeaCat: Thanks a lot for the cuppa, it was a pleasure to read your comment drinking it :D
So you like the road too - OK, you will have a closer view
Some extraterrestrial events would be very good in RL, maybe some people would stop to think only about themseles - at least for a while ;D

Asimov: Thank you for your visit, making something nice is possible only with all this great stuff available here  ;) - and I think this is the best part of my work

OK, let's go and see roadworks  ;D

This is not an update, so I will call it

The road in the south valley looked as below

Not very good, as you see.
The first stage of rebuilding it was flattening the terrain on both sides of the city border. The SC4 Terraformer was the best tool to do it

After doing it (and softening the walls of the hole I created :D) I returned to the game

I have over 300 m uphill to cover - look at the "y" parameter on pictures below (I use Extra Cheats Plugin and the Terrain Query command)

I decided to go downhill, so I start from the top. I flatten some more terrain and make first curves

Now I want to make a 180o curve to the right (looking from the top). I want to go downhill as much as possible, so I prepare the terrain. I make a step about 15 meters high close to the center of the projected curve (not at it's end!)

Now I make the next step, but this time I soften the terrain using an ingame lowering tool set at Shift+1, Shift+F2 parameters. I know the gradient of the first part yet, and I want to make it constant. I adjust the terrain tile by tile, remembering that I move the North - West corner of each tile:

The level difference between two ends of the curve is 20 m:

Now I don't try to drag a road. The hole is too deep and I could damage my previous work doing it. Instead of it I raise the terrain tile by tile using an ingame raising tool set at Shift+1, Shift+F3.
This method is really powerful. I often had situations when I wasn't be able to drag road because of very steep slope, and if I proved it, I most often damaged everything I have done earlier. And now I can move one tile directly at the road or other object. (Of course I save the game every few minutes ;))

Now I must soften the angle along the road

And here I must raise all tiles along the projected road

OK, the road is ready, but the wall below it is too high. I must change the terrain below the wall to make a soft slope (again tile by tile, starting a few tiles away from the wall)

And now the final product - I know it is not perfect, in addition I can't use trees here to hide my mistakes :D

An early morning - trucks go to shops in neighboring cities

New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Jmouse

Oh boy, this one's at least 10 feet over my head, but I'd like to know how you did it if you have time to explain one of these days. In any event, however, it's always a pleasure to see your outstanding work.

Until next time...
Joan

thundercrack83

Brilliant job, Ennedi. That walkthrough was absolutely amazing--the way you carved the mountainsides, absolutely amazing! Great work!

meldolion

Wonderful winding road Ennedi! Tha'ts a really goog Mountain road  :thumbsup:

Dark_Jedi06

Excellent! Now I just need to open up the LE and see what I can do... :satisfied: Also, the tutorial is very helpful...I've just started messing around with a large rail line precariously perched on the side of a mountain. :P

Keep up the amazing job! ;D

Oh, and I have another question...how do you get bridges to form over such short distances?
...this space to be filled soon...

bat

Great road on this mountain! Wonderful work and great pictures of it! :thumbsup:

nedalezz

Thats one heck of a step by step guide. I love your usage of the road curves. Fantastic stuff.

figui

i'd never commented here before, despite visiting this thread many times.
i must say that your work is great, and that road in the mountains is.. awesome work.
mountain roads had allways been a nightmare for me and you did it perfectly
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

bat56

Hé my friend, here is a powerful method to use the curved roads. I do not use them but, but that is likely to change...
Superb MD, always also original.  :thumbsup:

Sam!

porter66083

That mountain road is absolutely amazing... and I bet it took forever to get perfect! Can't wait to see what else you come up with....

Jacob

You decide their fate...
Timbervale

"Ok class... this week we graduate from 'Rock, Paper, Scissors' to 'Bazooka, Tear Gas, Butcher Knife'..." -derived from a Maki Murakami manga

TheTeaCat

Adam - wonderful update &apls

What a fabulous walkthrough and close ups of the avalanche shelter(?) over the road.

I do know just how difficult it is to build mountainous roads and how much "damage" you can do when you get it wrong. Your implementation of the various tools is spot on Adam. Oh i really can't wait to see what you develop on "flat" terrain if this is what you can achieve on the awkward stuff.   :D

Till the next update :thumbsup:

Regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

sebes

I am glad that finally I have found this great MD - and what an update... awesome!   I believe that this Shosaloza is my favourite version: it's somehow very Mid-European, and I like it - a lot !

Looking forward to your future updates in building this great region!
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Ennedi

Welcome in Shosaloza!

This is our last visit in mountains (for some time of course, there are a lot of mountains in Shosaloza ;)), next week we will go to the seashore.
Today we will visit Silvretta, a small village at the foot of the highest peak of the region.
The real Silvretta is a beautiful mountain region in Austria (in Tirol), there is a very scenic road going through it - Silvretta Hochalpenstrasse.
(I haven't any pictures from this place, but in near future I will show you some other places in Austria - it is a beautiful country!)

Jmouse: Thank you for nice words Joan and don't worry, I know most people want to see pictures instead of technical discussions  :D (but discussions are much easier than making a nice city :D)

thundercrack83: It seems to me many people don't like to build on slopes and I am trying to show it is not only quite easy, but also gives new possibilities. And I don't know a lot of things wchich are known by other people - so I must have any specialization :D

meldolion: Thank you very much for your visit, you know mountain roads so I'm glad of your opinion :)

Dark_Jedi06: I see you have found something for your project - very good, I will see it with pleasure!
I made my bridges using the method explained by Rayden in his tutorial (and earlier by dedgren in his 3RR region in Simtropolis), it means I made a little hole and fill it using the rain tool. The shortest bridge I can build is 5 tiles long. I haven't problem with it's height, I use H1 mod.

bat: Thank you very much! :thumbsup:

nedalezz: Thank you, and I like your way of building on desert ;D

figui: Steep slopes were a nightmare for me too :D

bat56: Thank you for your visit and for nice words!

porter66083: Thank you, many things are new also for me, so I also don't know what else I will do :D (of course I have a general vision, but there are a lot of surprises in this region)

TheTeaCat: Thank you Derry, nice to see you here! Your comments are very important for me :thumbsup:
What will I do on the flat terrain? Maybe I will make some mountains :D or at least a lot of holes (seriously, I have some ideas about the transit network)

Madeira: Thank you, I'm glad you like them :)

sebes: Thank you, I hope I will be able to make something interesting for you in future ;)

Badsim: Sorry for late answer, I prepared something for you, look below the update (it is rather a starting point than a final answer ;))

Silvretta is a small village. It was difficult to build something on this tile (C2). I had to make a valley myself, there is no place for buildings here in the original Shosaloza. But I didn't want to change the terrain too much. The general shape is the same, I made some cosmetic changes. In addition, Silvretta lies at the snow level and I can't use too much trees.

The general view of the village, as you see there is a road going uphill - where?

We go higher along the winding road, passing a small group of houses, then some curves  ;D and finally we stop at the cablecar

OK, let's go to the top!
A view to the North

To the East

...And to the West - daytime

Night

And sunrise

You can see hang gliders on these pictures, they were created using the generator made for me by Travis - thank you my friend! :thumbsup:
Lower station of the cablecar

And now we can go down, relax and see the village (it has only a few years and it will change many times ;))

(If you will look carefully at the picture above, you will see the bear hunting for llama ;))

OK, now an answer for Badsim:

QuoteI mean that this water texture is nearing a photography ... too much ; everything else all around looks a bit "like a cartoon" , how excellent that this cartoon is . Also about the transparency ; it's a pleasant effect ... for the caribbean sea .

Of course it's a question of taste. Many people use water mods with a flat surface - some of these mods have very interesting color. But if for you the wavy surface is too much, for me the flat one is too little :D - especially when I compare it with the terrain surface. I addition, such mods look strange when the sea depth changes - you can see two colors of water and a straight/edged line between them.
Look at Matbb Shosaloza - there are some beautiful seashore views in it, the vawy water makes all effect (he used the Peg Clipper mod)
But I agree about the transparency. Please look at pictures below and tell me what do you think about this water? ;) I will use it in Shosaloza, I think it blends good with the blue ploppable water wchich I use a lot  :D

1. Sea depth 36-37 m. Brigantine...

...And my version

2. Sea depth 13-14 m. Brigantine...

...And my version

3. Two more examples of my version: 9 m...

...And 3 m

As you see, it is not transparent at all and maybe these waves aren't very aggressive?

Quoteyou would like to work like ejc and me at the same time , I would like to work from now like ejc - So AntigOne is stopped ( nothing next planned ) and I wonder how long this kind of depression will remain ...  - and ejc would like to work like ... himself .

I said that between these two visions of the game , no compromise is possible ... it was maybe just a flash of lucidity , flashes are fortunately ephemeral .So , please don't take too seriously all I can say and keep on your own way , this is a captivating way as well !

Yes, I am trying to do both things (but I haven't your skills in any of them, ejc is making great region too). I start from the general vision (according to the terrain). Then I make roads, canals, rivers, flat areas and hills.
Then I go to particular areas, look what can I do and work with details. Every time when I finish something (river, forest, also a grop of buildings or an outstanding building) I go through every zoom and every viewing direction. In fact, I think these two visions are not contradictory.
But you achieved fantastic results working with details and using LE. Maybe it will be good for all of us, if you will concentrate on general views now, I'm sure you will do something great with it ;)
And this way of thinking - general view vs. details - can lead to very interesting problems, so every of us can go his own way and we can work together in the same time.

QuoteAbout your streetside Mod , try the Euro Asphalt Mod from sap23 (on the STEX)

Thank you for the tip, even without lot editing it is now better for my mountain cities (although I like Jeronij;s mod a lot)

QuoteI don't like Italia Terrain Mod .... too flashy green suggesting an eternel spring , but I like its erosions textures ... maybe a little photoshoping , I'm not against . (I'm rather too lazy to re-work each pictures) .

Italia isn't the most flashy green one :D It's a theme for a separate thread, if I will have some time, I will try to compare terrain mods in various conditions (low and high elevations, various terrain forms, summer and winter). If you want to work with general views, I think we will return to this theme :)

QuoteIf you love wavy surface of Brigantine water , you should try Sorchin's ploppable water . Search for Flora Set by Sorchin at the STEX

Again thanks for the tip, but I have it from over a year. Scorchin's ater and rocks are great, but for me they have some disadvantages:

1. The shape of water tiles is squared and it is very difficult to make the lake/riverside as you want:

DT Water Model3 (I use it in Shosaloza)

...And Scorchin's water

I checked all kinds of Scorchin's water and made examples for you, but presenting them I would make this message extremely long. So, next time ;)

2. Scorchin's rock: any color of this rock doesn't blend with any rock mod. Maybe a slight modification would be helpful.
It is difficult to customize your lake/riverside, the rock has very specific shape.

...And it optically flatten the terrain:

I am very glad of your professional and friendly comment, thank you! Maybe it will be possible to solve some problems together?

New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine