• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ennedi plays Shosaloza

Started by Ennedi, August 25, 2007, 10:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nardo69

Hello Adam!

I should have come here earlier - Anyway, congrats on the well deserved Award!  &apls

And it seems we have the same dedications: different levels and adequate slopes!  ;)

Great work with the avenues, I don't know if I put that avenue roundabout between the bridge but it sure looks great there.

Great harbour - I am never satisfied with mine, well, I am a child from the hills I guess, even though I am living now close to the sea ...  :D

Take care (and don't forget to make backups!)

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

Ennedi

Thank you very much my friends!

The OSITM award is a great honour, and it's a second one... Thank you again, I will try to do my best  :)

No answers today - sorry, but I finished my RL work on Thursday afternoon and I spent all this time preparing an update  $%Grinno$% So maybe it will be better if I will answer a bit later, and then I should show some pictures as soon as possible  ;)
Thank you everybody for your comments, please visit me again!  :thumbsup:

OK, pictures

Maybe some of you remember the Salzburg Cathedral, I showed it lately. We begin our tour at this place.
A Cathedral surrounded by a small group of buildings is located at the riverside, at the foot of the castle hill. We can get there from an Old City waterfront, the road begins at the Palazzo Jeronij:

(This high residential building is growable, I will replace it in future by something more apropriate  ;D)
A few shots from around the Cathedral:

And how does it look at night?

I made more pictures, but I'm not satisfied of them. I think I will return to this place  ;)

Look again at the first picture. There is a road going under the castle hill but above the Old City. We will go this road.

We can see something interesting at the left side: the wall. All castle hill was strongly fortified in ancient ages. Some of these fortifications were placed far away from the castle, walking around an old city we can often see fragments of ancient walls, foundations and other tracks of ancient times. Some of these fortifications changed their function, at this place old buildings are removed and a large church was build. But the wall was renovated and it is protected till today, because it is very important as a castle hill reinforcement.
The church is called St. Stephan Church (the Votivkirche in Vienna, both names are used in RL, I will stay at the first one - we are in Malecon, not in Vienna  ;))
The area around it is not completed yet, there will be something interesting here in the near future  :)

As you see, creating this wall needed some work. I wanted to finish the upper edge of the wall (the texture is from an excellent Japanes Walls II set made by MAS71 - thank you MAS san, your walls are one of the most flexible ones and the look perfect!) by something. So I used Deadwoods' Raised Park set. I composed it with BSC Parks because the Votivkirche lot has BSC textures. It needed some tricky terraforming (these are raised parks  :D), but it was worth of it. Look please at the night view:

And the general view:

OK, let's go to the next place.
I had a big engineering problem developing the Old City. It is located on the big slope. I showed you the Great Stairs area in last two updates. After a lot of terraforming, making a few walls and stairs I reached about 100 meters above the river level. But the slope has 180 meters  :D
So I had to make some magic  ;)
There is a large plateau at the top of the hill (in fact it's not a hill but a large flat area, surrounding hills are even higher). I created an old downtown on this plateau. But what about this horrible 80 m high steep slope?
I made a park. and the trick is that I covered all slope by ploppable grass. This way original textures (including rock) are hidden and all slope looks much more soft than it is.
The slope is divided by a road to the new downtown and industrial area, I made also a path for pedestrians. But I didn't made any paths going uphill, they would clearly show how the slope is steep  ;D)
Let's look at it from two opposite directions:

(and maybe the last look at the Votivkirche)

Now we are in an old downtown.

I will concentrate on closeups this time, as in last two updates. There are two reasons:
1. Malecon is only partially developed now, there are many empty areas in it. I have to make more work to show some interesting general views.
2. I want to show details. They are worth of it. For example Paris buildings (and also Debussyman's and Praiodan's creations) have fantastic details and even more fantastic nightlights. And they aren't showed very often, so I'm trying to do it.
I had an idea to show some particular work of various creators with description, links etc. - but I simply haven't enough time to prepare it. So if you like something and don't know where to find it, please ask me!

Maybe you will think some of my pictures are too much photoshopped. I apologize for it, but there are two reasons :D:
1. Sometimes I want to emphasize details or lights, and
2. It is something completely different to edit one picture (sometimes it needs a few hours or more to achieve a really good result) and to edit 30 pictures. Mistakes are possible - sorry! Please tell me what do you like and what you don't.  :)

Day:

The Big Dig system is extremely important in Malecon. It would be impossible to cover all these horrible slopes using normal tunnels, and in addition the Big Dig looks great!  :D The old downtown has rather poor ground road connection with an industrial area, but tunnel system works excellent here. Look at it:

And how looks another end? Maybe next time...  :P

Night:

That's all for today. Nex time - some technical comments and maybe a few new pictures?... ;)

Adam

New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Pat

Ohhhhhhhhhh My Gawd Adam wow!!!!!  OK I need to take a breather after this update wow, I'm stunned here!!! You have done such a wonderful job and especially on the Votivkirche i believe that is correct for the church on the slop with mas-sans walls...   

Your PS'ing skills are grand even those night shots have left me breathless here WOW!!! I just cant stop but marvel over the wonders you have done and you truly did a fantastic job on that slop with the plop grass....  Speaking of which that area you can almost feel in the one pic as you are truly high up wow, I believe its the 13 pic down wow!!!

Also I couldn't think of better place to make my 5k post and here it is in your most wonderful MD!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

Congrats on your Award there! And it's a fantastic start for this month with that excellent update! And a lot of beautiful views of these great areas!

Looking forward to the next updates in this month!

paroch

Hi Adam,

First up, I want to say Congratulations on hitting 500 posts.  For May Shosozola is SPECIAL and in June it will be CLASSIC - well done (and hopefully West End can pick up enought posts to join you ;))

Absolutely HUGE update there - what a way to start the month, it would have been possible to make three or four updates from just these pics, but no, you give us a MONSTER size update :) :thumbsup: :)

The greenery around the Salzburg Cathederal is extra special, looks fantastic.  The night view of the embankment/raised parks is unique I think, great creativity.

And the old downtown is a joy to see.  It must have taken much planning and then some bulldozing, and maybe some more bulldozing and re-planning to achieve such a great end result.  And I'm impressed with you picture presentation as well - they all look great.

Well done Adam.

Paul

dedgren

I'd book tickets to your city this summer just to be able to walk around Castle Hill, Adam.  This is work of such a rarefied level- you are surpassed by nobody in your Euro-city building skills.  All that, and you take such pains with the woodlands, as well.

We have a masterwork and the master himself in our midst.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Jmouse

First, congratulations on achieving 500 posts and with it, a well-deserved place in the Classics section, Adam.

The Salzburg Cathedral and surrounding area are stunning, right down to the variety of trees present. And by night, of course, it is breathtaking! You seem to have a natural talent for showcasing the finest gems in an appropriately lavish setting as you have done with St. Stephan Church, too, and once again the night shots are gorgeous.

The photos of the city are beautiful, and I especially like the intricate BATS you have used. Such sights are foreign to this lightly-traveled southern USA gal, but I can imagine how majestic they would look in RL. And you saved the best for last - those gorgeous night shots enhanced by lighting effects that are somewhat new to me. Your talents are seemingly endless!

Until next time...
Joan

nedalezz

Oh my, oh my, oh my! What a majestic update; I dont think Ive ever seen those European buildings look so beautiful. In fact, you just inspired me to build one of my own in Qumma, a new settlement perhaps.

I feel cold just by looking at the pictures, reminds me of winter and the snow!

As for the first few pictures, the way you've set up that cathedral on top of the hill is just fantastic, and I think what does it for me is the quality of the woodlands around it. Fantastic stuff!

Yoman

This update is looking great Adam, I'm lucky I didn't miss it considering I've been obsessed with Grand Theft Auto IV all week :P

You've come up with some very innovative solutions to some problems, such as the hillside park and the combination of the raised walls and retaining walls, I'd like to see the terrforming you had to do to get the raised parks to blend in with ground level stuff as well as it did. Must have been alot of trial and error.

I'm really enjoying the development of the city so far, and I'm looking forward to those slums. How about a region shot though?

JoeST

Adam, sir, I am sorry but I just can not think of the words to tell you how utterly amazed and happy I am at seeing your images. your skills are unmatched, your patience must be phenomenal.

Thank you more than plain words themselves can say.

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

kimcar

I missed too much update here , sorry.

Congrats for the award. It`s well deserve because you work is so great and you always show excellent pics. &apls &apls &apls
A lot of then can be in the Hall of Fame . Congrats again

aliek

Czesz!

Please, where can I get the barroque cathedral and specially the building that there's near!? (third photo)

Shadow Assassin

Okay, you've started this OSITM month off with a blast. :P

This'll definitely be hard to beat. ;)

Anyway, the city looks great, I like how you've integrated open space into the construction of the area around the castle hill. This looks brilliant, too.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

ejc

Whow, I just love the shot with the quatre saisons and the temple in Paris!! That night-shot is freaking nice  %confuso

also I like the first picture from "opposite directions" as you tell. I like the way the road go uphill and the houses following it's path

nice update!!

E

meldolion

OMG!!!! :o
Those are wonderful pictures!!! You are a master Adam :)

rooker1

That was a fantastic update my friend.
Your move to OSITM this month and the 2x Elite club was already great news, but to know that when you leave at the end of the month you'll be in The Classics, exactly where you deserve to be.
Great use of diagonal buildings along the avenue with a nice park feel.  I also really like that first avenue round about with the avenue running into it as well as the two extra one ways.  I didn'y realize you could do that.
I look forward to the rest of the month with you and your MD.
&apls
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

thundercrack83

Hello, Adam!

Excellent work, as always, my friend! I love the area around the roundabout, especially--with the Big Dig tunnels and all the Parisian building. I love it!

I can't wait to see what you'll do with the rest of your time here in OSITM!

Dustin

JBSimio

Fantastic update!   &apls  Your city layout and choice of buildings is great... although that didn't surprise me at all.  What really grabbed my eye was how amazingly realistic the wooded areas look in the first four pictures.  Simply stunning!   :thumbsup:

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

vester

Yes, fantastic update, just one thing missing: Trams..... looking everywhere for but no one.

Rayden

Badsim show is finished, at least for the time being, but, lucky us, you took his role on this play, and, more words for what...  &apls