• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matias93

Quote from: anthony16s on March 03, 2017, 02:23:32 AM
Quote from: eggman121 on October 20, 2014, 03:00:37 AM
Quote from: art128 on October 19, 2014, 03:23:32 PM
If I recall correctly, they (the NAM team) said it would be added to the NAM in two versions as the focus of the next one wasn't on the RRW stuff yet.

I'd say I agree with that though. It's best to have a good, thoughtfully tested version of a mod before making it public. I'd personally hate to see this mod rushed so that it meets the next NAM release date. (not that there is one, "It will be released when it is ready" )

The last and only time a NAM was released with a release date (NAM 31.0) it was half baked and put the team under pressure to fix the issues. Much of the team at the moment have heavy RL so it is hard to quantify what will and will not go in the next NAM. The HSRP version I am making is piggybacking on top of the current HSRP at the moment. I will have to discuss further what direction the HSRP will take. At the moment I am just experimenting with ideas for what people would like in a future NAM beyond NAM 33.

Anyways here are some more pictures of the HSRP next to the RRW

Enjoy  ()flower()

-eggman121

Impossible to find this. It is public ?

As it says on the quoted text, it hasn't been released and there is no date for release, as standard NAM policy. In any case, I first this project could be somehow benefited from the latter developments on the RRW. There is no guarantee of it, though, and we should be patient: the NAM team is doing an astounding amount of work, only on their free time!

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

AsimPika3172

Awesome!!!  :thumbsup:  &apls
Ground rail and elevated rail connected with draggable version! I will waiting for this!  :popcorn:
I loves Sim City forever!

anthony16s

;Hi :)

But do you have any others textures for GHSR ? i have already the "vershner" one. But nothing like the last picture i post

compdude787

Quote from: anthony16s on March 05, 2017, 03:33:22 PM

But do you have any others textures for GHSR ? i have already the "vershner" one. But nothing like the last picture i post

It hasn't been released yet. I know that what you quoted was from two years ago, but it still hasn't been released.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

eggman121

Hello everyone

Yes I did do some experimental stuff on the HSR front a while ago but I am using the RRW as a test bed for the functionality for that component. Once I get the RRW into shape I plan to port over some of the principles and code for this mod.

But as the NAM team has such few developers at this stage there is no timeline for the eventuate of the mod. I consider it to be a long term project. It will take a while to make and code but I will still try to tackle it in the future.

With the RRW FARR and the upcoming Elevated RRW or ERRW there is a better chance of it eventuating.

We have a bit to make and will take some time.

Quote from: anthony16s on March 05, 2017, 03:33:22 PM

The problem is with the for the HSRP is that the textures are not compatible with the new textures. The new HSR will have functionality that rivals the RRW but since the ERRW is in construction and the new HSR has alot of bridges it may take a while to make the set that is specific to the new HSR.

I hope that answers some of the questions.

-eggman121

APSMS

eggman,

no stress. We all appreciate what you've done so far for SC4 railways. Just keep at it; no need to hurry or worry about future projects. I think we have confidence that it will be ready when it's ready.

I think of it like the Heinz ketchup in a glass bottle; you've got us in anticipation of great things, so we'll be glad to wait. Honestly the last thing we want is for you to feel overwhelmed and get burned out. Hopefully the automation and such that Robin and Ron have worked on texture-wise should take a lot of the stress off you needing to satisfy everyone's texture fiddliness and whims.

-Absalom
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

anthony16s

Thank you for your answers.

Again, I am really admiring for all the work already done. congratulations

Tyberius06

I can agree with APSMS. I've been playing with this game for 13 years or so, always in and out (at the moment IN), I'm pretty sure, that if I eventually skip a few years of playing, I will be return some point, so I'm patient I know, you and the other developers make a very nice and good job for us, so I can always get some fun stuff from you guys! :)

Thank you!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

kbieniu7

That's truly amazing :o I'm scared to see what bill you're going to send to us after releasing it  :D Just wish, it was similiar with tramway network!
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

roadgeek

IIRC, there was a discussion about making a MODDING tutorial video. If such a tutorial has been made, can someone post a link?

art128

Hello. :)

Am having some issues with RRW recently.
When using the flextracks to do some FARR the game takes some time to actually do them. I had this issue in the past but it affected STR on LHD setups. The issue was missing paths.

According to that picture, there are no paths on the FARR but the wide radius curves and turnouts are fine. (and they are done perfectly fine too)

It's a fresh NAM install on a LHD install. (both game and NAM set to LHD) Just your typical install with some stuff (bridges etc) not selected. (which shouldn't matter anyway)

Any ideas how to resolve this?
I wouldn't mind too much if it was just missing paths, but the fact it takes some time to actually make the tracks is annoying.

Thanks in advance.  :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

mgb204

A lot of the time the LHD paths might not be ready when new features appear. This has already been completed, a patch can be found here. :).

The issue with the slow build is something the game does, because it's looking for paths that don't exist. We can't really do anything about that, the solution is having the paths.

art128

Working perfectly as intended, thank you!  &apls &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

eggman121

It's alive!!!

Before some people jump up down about the piece the NAM Team does have some room to move upon requests.

If you don't like it upon NAM 36 you always have the option not to use it in your cities.

Apart from realism, playing styles and requests are considered and although it may not suit everyone's expectations we have to cater for different playing styles.

So... A preemptive request, Please don't start arguments about the realism of the piece. It has been made because the is demand for it and it would be a deal breaker for some people to use the RRW (especially the ERRW).

-eggman121

Edit:

Notice that the piece slope conforms! So there are other situations for this piece.

brick_mortimer

Cool!

I like, I like alot

Quote from: eggman121 on June 11, 2017, 11:00:27 PM
...If you don't like it [...] you always have the option not to use it in your cities...
=> this
Thank you (and the NAM team of course) for all the work you do so we can have a better game  &apls
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

Tyberius06

Hi!
Is it a new and longer modell? I don't understand the complaints against rail ramps. This year I was travelling a lot across Europe by train and I saw several times similiar ramps near the the main stations and terminals to save rooms. Check Zuerich, that was jawdropping to me. So I don't have any problem the idea of ramps.
My only wish is could you fill the "holes" and make the ramp model without "holes"/"underways" until the end of the ramp? OR some similiar style like the road ramps would be even better.
Anyway it's a great job, thanks for sharing!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

APSMS

Rail ramps are typically more common for light rail. On heavy rail trains, notably in the US but also elsewhere around the world ramps are very rare even for electrified lines due to the limiting factor that weight plays on allowing the tractive effort of the motors to overcome the tendency of steel on steel contact friction to slip under strong gravitational forces.

Although this is not the case for light-rail lines, generally a 1% grade is steep for a heavy rail track, and anything above 3% is virtually unheard of. The Big Boy locomotive was designed to navigate 1.5% (IIRC) with sections up to ~2%. I think one of the steepest (non-rack) railways in the world moves uphill at close to 3 or 4% but it's very slow going.

That being said, gameplay is going to have to trump realism for me. I never use the ramp piece anymore, but I wholeheartedly approve of its inclusion if it encourages adoption of the RRW project.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Seaman

Oh boy. I really like the look of the ramp. You've made it longer than the old one, right? I think esp. for the 7.5m ERRW ramps might be useful and somewhat realistic at the same time. I've really missed a piece like that to build hight differences between tracks right next to each other to optain something like this:

@eggman: maybe a ramp from 15m to 7.5m might be something to consider (without daring to speak of those handy flex HTs of the RHW). Such a ramp would make it feasable to build something like this:

Quote from: Tyberius06 on June 12, 2017, 01:06:40 AM
My only wish is could you fill the "holes" and make the ramp model without "holes"/"underways" until the end of the ramp? OR some similiar style like the road ramps would be even better.
actually, I really like the combination of both in the current version. I think it fits pretty nicely to the current "brick-design" of the ERRW. In my humble opinion, I would join Tyberius wish in case you want to create another ramp for the "modern" concrete ERRW design.

Terring7

I've had always used the ramps for my railroads because they don't use too much space, something very useful in already developed zones. Sure those ramps are a bit steep, but that was not a problem for me. After all, my trains were made by lighter materials and were equipped with stronger engines. But the new smoother ramp looks beautiful. Keep it up. I just wander if you're going to include both the older and the new ramps at the next NAM.
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

vester

Good to see it in game.  :thumbsup:
Not sure I like the ramp conforms to the terrain.
You would make it like that in real life. There you would make the top straight more or less.

Now I am just waiting on the shorter version (6 tile long) that I also did.