• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gugu3

I don't check for a few days and...oh my goodness! So much great stuff! &apls &apls

Seaman

FTLs supporting crossings: you sure want to be save that there will be a minimum of whishes left after release, do you?  :thumbsup:

Tarkus

Thanks, Stephen, Absalom, Gugu3, Seaman and everyone for the kind words and support! :thumbsup:

Quote from: eggman121 on March 12, 2017, 07:42:00 PM
I must say Alex, the ERRW over the FTLs look beautiful. Can't wait for the extra functionality!

And I have to give a lot of credit for that to you and your model work. :)

Quote from: Seaman on March 13, 2017, 03:54:14 AM
FTLs supporting crossings: you sure want to be save that there will be a minimum of whishes left after release, do you?  :thumbsup:

To quote the infamous Tommy Wiseau, "that's the idea!"

Of course, there's so many places this project can still go (and will go).  There's certainly a lot more I'd like to do with it.

Getting back to the crosslinkage, here's the "stress test" for the Type 130 x L1 ERRW and Type 130 x HSR crossings, and the configuration overrides for the T-intersections.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Alex,

You just keep impressing us more and more.  The excitement is really  ramping up for NAM36. 

Thank you so much for sharing and keeping up all in the loop of future possibilities :bnn: :bnn: :bnn: :bnn: :bnn: :bnn: :bnn: :bnn: :bnn: :bnn: :bnn: :bnn:

dyoungyn

druidlove

Heya, I rarely comment during my school sessions, but I like the progress. I really like the slip lane -> side road. The only thing I have to say is that the slip lane to OWR-1 looks great. However, is there a way to get rid of the yield signs on that setup? It looks out of place.
Consequently the slip to AVE-2 is awesome. It's a great way to create a crossover when a RHW splits into 2 one-way streets into town similar to this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0483059,-103.7075992,144m/data=!3m1!1e3

AsimPika3172

Yahoo!!!!  &apls &apls &apls &apls Thanks for making Elevated High Speed Rail crossing intersection!  :thumbsup:
I loves Sim City forever!

matias93

Wow! That bulletproof stability  &apls &apls &apls

Now, trying to subvert this thread, a little request: it is feasible to create some simple intersections in which turning (in one or both directions) is forbidden? It would make sense when using a slip lane to restrict the main intersection, and would also be useful for some pseudo-roundabouts (p.e. one with the main route crossing over the centre)

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Tyberius06

Nice addition Alex! Thank you! :)  &apls &apls &apls &apls
I will enjoy playing with these new features! :)

@matias93: I've already asked the turn restriction thing :), with (on RHD setup) the right lane ONLY turning right, and the left lane going towards and turning left intersections. As the present intersections are working like that the left lane is ONLY turning left, and the right lane turning right and going towards.
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

compdude787

Wow, that's so cool that we can have all these RIRO junctions with the slip lanes! And I like seeing the turn lanes under railroad bridges, too! I'm really looking forward to also finally having 7.5m RR viaducts.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

SimCity V6

Those new additions will sure be something to write home about when these are released.  :thumbsup: By any chance, what other rail networks/FTL road networks have these crossings also been conducted between? I also wonder about cosmetic pieces (dashed lines?) included in this whole project as well.

Tarkus

Thanks, dyoungyn, druidlove, AsimPika3172, matias93, Tyberius06, compdude787, SimCity V6, and everyone for the kind words and support! :thumbsup:  Back from a little bit of a quieter period on the modding end with a rather crazy demo of the RIRO/LILO stuff.  But first, to the mailbag!

Quote from: druidlove on March 17, 2017, 10:30:00 PM
However, is there a way to get rid of the yield signs on that setup? It looks out of place.

It bothers me as well, though it's going to require some new IIDs and additional overrides in order to eliminate them.  I am going to investigate it, but it may not be something for the initial FTL rollout in NAM 36.  The RIRO/LILO stuff was an unplanned feature that just kind of spiraled out into a lot of additional cool stuff by accident. :D

Quote from: matias93 on March 18, 2017, 10:59:49 AM
Now, trying to subvert this thread, a little request: it is feasible to create some simple intersections in which turning (in one or both directions) is forbidden? It would make sense when using a slip lane to restrict the main intersection, and would also be useful for some pseudo-roundabouts (p.e. one with the main route crossing over the centre)

Quote from: Tyberius06 on March 18, 2017, 01:07:48 PM
@matias93: I've already asked the turn restriction thing :), with (on RHD setup) the right lane ONLY turning right, and the left lane going towards and turning left intersections. As the present intersections are working like that the left lane is ONLY turning left, and the right lane turning right and going towards.

Yes, the turn restrictions are on the table and planned.  You can already kind of do it with certain setups with the FLEX intersections (try plugging just a base Avenue into one of the Type 120 ends--it'll block left turns), but there will be some additional refinement to it later on, particularly once I start adding things like jughandles and Continuous Flow Intersections (CFIs) to the equation.  At present, the slip lane setups don't eliminate right turns at intersections (similar to the old TuLEP versions), though the slip lane should be the quickest route to make that turn, which means the simulator should take it and bypass the intersection.

Quote from: SimCity V6 on March 23, 2017, 02:25:01 PM
By any chance, what other rail networks/FTL road networks have these crossings also been conducted between? I also wonder about cosmetic pieces (dashed lines?) included in this whole project as well.

All the current FTL types (110, 120, 220, and 130) have support for crossings with the following networks:

• Dual-Track Rail (RRW specs only)
  • Single-Track Rail (RRW specs only)
  • L1 Draggable ERRW Dual-Track Viaducts
  • L2 Draggable ERRW Dual-Track Viaducts
  • Elevated Light Rail
  • Draggable Urban GLR
  • Draggable Rural GLR
  • Monorail
  • High Speed Rail

The only draggable rail-type networks that don't have support at present are the two "alternate" Draggable GLR styles.  High Elevated Rail and High Monorail are puzzle-based and no longer in development, so there's no plans for support there.  And as previously mentioned, support for RHW and Draggable Road/OWR/Avenue Viaduct crossings will be added in future releases.

Since this system is intended to be 100% draggable/FLEX, there will be no cosmetic pieces.  The existing TuLEP cosmetic pieces are not compatible with the FTL system, as they will break the overrides that carry the FTL setups forward to the intersection.  Support for cosmetic FTL setups, like dashed lines, is being evaluated, but it is not a priority at this juncture.

Now, onto the promised development pic . . . here's a rather complex RIRO setup I whipped up that might be useful for connecting into a shopping center, or controlling access for a side street near a busy intersection.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Alex,

Now this is interesting. 

I only have one burning question and that may have been already answered or obvious; will existing maps with TLUPs puzzle pieces still be good and effective once the flex TLUPs become active?

I only ask this as with any new NAM, the installer automatically uninstall the existing NAM.  If the existing TLUPs are uninstalled, then in an effect, the TLUPs would no longer be good on existing maps.   This could be same for draggable elevated rail.

Only fielding the question of curiosity. 

dyoungyn

Tarkus

Thanks, dyoungyn, and to answer your question, the TuLEPs will remain an install option, and as long as NetworkAddonMod_TurningLanes_Extension_Plugin.dat remains in your plugins, your existing TuLEP setups will remain intact. 

It may be that we change it from being a default option in custom install to a non-default one.  That said, as much as we've been raked over the coals about the puzzle-based RHW Height Transitions, we might leave it as is, and just alter the icon to have a big giant "OLD" or "OUTDATED" stamped over the image and move it way down the menu order.  Hopefully, that would get the point across that it's no longer the preferred method, and isn't going to receive any future updates in that form.

The NAM installer reads the contents of your existing NAM installation before it cleans everything out, in an effort to prevent broken functionality, so it should see your old TuLEP install and check the box.  We can't guarantee that will happen for those who manually delete or uninstall their old version before updating, however.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Alex,

Thank you for the reply.  This answers the question with relief. 

Thank you for your understanding of those whom have been using TLUP/RHW Puzzle pieces for a while now and are use to the use of the "TAB" key when cycling through all the options.  I personally like the puzzle pieces in the RHW as I just plain cannot get the RHW ramp drawn out I am looking for.  I have a guide and  for some reason, I am just doing it wrong.  Yes, there are limitations with puzzle pieces as in  mainly ground options but I know how they will react under certain situations. 

Also, thank you for the info about the existing TLUP puzzle pieces option for legacy puzzle pierces during install. 

NAM 36 is truly going to a BIG and exciting as when SC4 Rush Hour came out. 

Thank you as always to the entire NAM team for keep the game alive and active . 

dyoungyn

P.S., I have see rumors of SC6 or 2017 scams and if this was real, then what I have seen could definitely be a real contender for SC4 today.

Kitsune

Wouldnt it be possible to have the files for the old tuleps present - however have no icon or anyway of accessing it?
~ NAM Team Member

druidlove

Tarkus,
This is great. This is why I still like what the NAM team has done with SC4 to be as realistic as possible. I can live with the yield signs as a temporary measure, as long as the functionality is there. Already looking forward to when CFI and other features are created, and I can't wait until NAM 36 comes out

noahclem

Amazing work here, Alex  &apls &apls &apls  Very exciting to return from some time off and see all this coming together so fast. Do I understand correctly that you decided to keep the original geometry of the slip lanes? I would have thought matching them up with diagonal MIS would be the way to go but I'm sure you have your reasons if you've decided otherwise.

CT14

Your picture above illustrates the kind of setup that I have had trouble creating in the past with MIS and one-ways. Thanks for all this work!

metarvo

Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

max19950324

Finally we've got some El-rail support, it was a huge pain you can't cross elevated system with turn lanes now.  ;D Absolutely can't wait for NAM 36!