• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Covington - Update 61 "Chestnut Hills and South River Bend"

Started by JBSimio, March 31, 2008, 07:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim Shady

Dont worry im in the same boat as you  &mmm  My NBA basketball game that i had invested many hours developing the dream franchise on got saved over on accident :'(

Nice looking region so far, btw

JBSimio

Pat:  I can't wait until Sunday either... if only because it means this moving business will be over for a while!  :D

Robin:  It wasn't really too terrible.  Most of what I lost was zoning... all the transit layouts were in place from the backup.

Dustin:  More of an annoyance than anything else, really.  Actually, the commercial demand seems to be back in line now anyway... so it all worked out for the best after all.

Dragonshardz:  No real worries here... just another fine example of me not paying attention.  ::)

Matt:  The TE hover crash is indeed frustrating.  I have another (completely different style) city with a lot of sunken networks that I tend to crash all the time just for that reason.  I'm starting to save after each and every bridge at this point!  :D

Sim Shady:  Sorry to hear about the loss of your dream team.  Hopefully your repairs will be fairly simple like mine were!

This is more of a teaser than a full update... but I'm also looking for a couple suggestions.  We'll get to that part in a minute though.  First I thought it would be interesting to compare how the different sides of town live.

This is probably the poorest, and (for now) most densely packed part of Covington.  Just to the east of downtown, these wood framed tenaments stretch on block after block.  Although the landlords seem to keep them well painted, that's about the only maintainence the buildings really get.  Poorly insulated, these apartments are ridiculously hot in the summer.  Thankfully, this being North Carolina, the winters are fairly mild, but it's not the greatest place to live either way.

In startling contrast to the east side of the city, here is an example of life on the west side.  This area is primarily made up of single family homes from the turn of the century.  Lovingly and flawlessly maintained, these houses don't come cheap despite (or perhaps because of) being so close to the hustle of downtown.  The wide parkways that feed into the business district only add to the appeal of this area.

Here's a look at the most recent transportation view.  If you compare to the previous page, you'll see that I managed to get most of the downtown tile back to about the same place I was.  I've also started to place some of the main roads east of the Riedsville River as well as extending into the northern metro area for Covington itself.  The two letters are where I need some suggestions.  Being an area that the railroads built, I'm thinking a substantial railyard would be pretty appropriate.  I just can't decide which spot would be better.  Location A would be my first choice since it could basically serve Covington and High Point.  But because of the way the line comes through that section on an angle, I have a feeling it will be very difficult to tie things together very well there.  Point B would be more for just Covington, but probably an easier area to work with and make things fit.  What do y'all think?

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

mightygoose

fantastic update, i would go for location A as it is the most ogical choice although it will be tricky with the main lin at the diagonal.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

threestooges

First, reagrding the update itself. Great work as always. I haven't had the chance to paly with the tenements much yet, but you've done a nice job with that little neighborhood. I know what you mean about saving after every bridge. It can be a pain and it's amazing how much you actually can do without realizing you haven't saved in a while. Now then, as for your question, I would respond with a question: to what extent did those rivers play a role in regional historic development? If there is a port along that stretch (and having one at the junction of the rivers doesn't seem too bad) I would suggest B to take advantage of that element. A slight realignment of the tracks could make A an easier site to work with, and it would be good to have two communities served by it. I would go with B personally, but don't let the current track angle be the deciding factor (though that may be the case in the real world). Take it easy.
-Matt

TheTeaCat

Sorry i missed a few updates here Jon,
but what you have shown us (considering your loss) is magnificent.
You have managed to capture a real feeling in all your shots and it is a place
that is coming more to life as you fill the region.

Point A for me.
As it serves 2 communities but as said before you may have to re-align the track to make it work.
this way you could also if you wanted run a connecting branch to point B and to the line that runs south there.
Just a thought as it is quite a loop up and through Covington itself  ;)

Patiently awaiting your next update

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

BigSlark

Jon,

Sorry I missed your last update, I've been busy. They both look amazing, I really like your wide parkways in the nice part of Covington. I would build the yard at "B" with a new line that runs from the High Point Line to a point just south of the yard, following the top of the river's flood plain. That way you could claim that the lines were once owned by separate companies and that a 20th century merger lead to the creation of a central yard for the area and a new freight "cut-off" was needed, leaving the old High Point-Covington line for passenger trains and local freight.

Besides, then we get to see more of your great railroad building skills in practice, and maybe even an interlocking plant!

And if you really want a great looking yard, join me in pestering Jestarr about doing an American roundhouse and shops.  :P

Cheers,
Kevin

Jmouse

My goodness, Jon, I get a bit behind on checking out new MDs, and look what I've missed! A fine-looking map to begin with, a lot of beautiful farm land and the kind of little villages I love to see. Photos 1.06 and 1.07 are especially appealing, but there are many others that strike a chord.

I really appreciate all the overviews, too.
They look great, of course, but they helped me get oriented as well. It's hard to catch up when you don't get in on the very beginning, but I think Covington is well worth the time it will take. :thumbsup:

Until next time...
Joan

bat

Like these three new pictures there! The transportation view is also looking very good!! :thumbsup:

oldrogue

G'day Jon,  put me down as one who has been a little behind in catching up with your journal.....love it....as far as the railyards: BigSlark sugestion is brilliant.....I would go for B anyway...my reasoning being that rail facilities (in RL) are such huge space eaters that I try to place mine in an area with lots of straight tracks and as flat as possible.
Looking forward to the next update.
Sometimes I go into my own little world....but it's ok, they know me there.

Pat

OK here we go with anther great update from you Jon...  Im glad that soon you will have put the move behind you and then get to some real fantastic stuff here in covington..  I see a prime area for the Universty that is underway lol and the Rail Yard hmm I would go with B.. 

Why I say B is cause the area there seems rather flat and the track is very straight.. So in the words of alignment it wouldnt be to much to do other then leveling out some land area and choosing what track size you are going to use...  Either way I do know what you choose will be good and I cant wait for that update...  see you next time.....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dragonshardz

B as well. it makes more sense and you could always build a spur to location A.

Hogmeister

Great Pictures Jon, so many perfect buildings that really work well together.
Building Better Buildings Better

sebes

Nice MD Jon!!! Especially the region view pictures are totally awesome - the best ever I'd say.  Not the rest is not worth looking at... on the contrary. The whole lay out of the city, the suburbts, the farms, the roads, is a masterpiece.  And I think that Covington has the best poorest area in the whole world... I love it  :satisfied:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

thundercrack83

Great work on the rebuild, my friend! Sometimes, in a very strange way, it's a bit of a blessing because you can go back and change things that you didn't like before. As for the railyard--I, too, think B would be your best place for it, but wherever you put it, I know it will be fantastic!

Take care,

Dustin

EDGE4194

Hi Jon- looks like I'm a little late to the party. Congratulations on your MD. It's off to great start and am looking forward to the next update. I must commend the layout of your farms and the lack of straight lines in general. Good work  &apls

TopCliff

That's a great looking map dude. I've never seen a city built away from a body of water and up in te hills though. Every city's unique, I guess. Keep up the great work here.
Best movie of all time: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. If you disagree, Cameron will send your car over a cliff.

Please, call me Leo.  I quote John Lennon now, a great musician and philosopher. Particularly, one of his songs: You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you join us, and the world will live as one.

JBSimio

Mightygoose:  Thank you!  That's 1 vote for A...

Matt:   Thanks!  In answer to your question, I'd say that the waterways played little part at all in the historical development of Covington.  Mostly because they're very narrow rivers or almost creeks by the time they get to that area.  They had some significance for Raleigh... and High Point too for that matter... but Covington is a railroad city more than anything else.  That's 1 vote for B if I read correctly.

Derry:  Thank you!  I was (and sort of still am) considering a connecting rail spur between the two points.  The only real drawback to the idea is getting the tracks under the two expressways and the two major avenues.  It wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that those junctions are in three different city tiles... so getting the rail in there too won't be easy to do.  But I'm still tinkering with the idea.  A = 2, B = 1

Kevin:  Thanks!  I do like the idea of a spur line, especially because I could then say it sort of seves Ashboro as well.  But, time will tell if I can get it all to work or not.  I saw your pictures in Jestarr's thread, and I agree that they would make for some great additions to the game!  A = 2, B = 2

Joan:  Thank you!  I've always loved the wide zoom look of all the farms as well... I'm glad you do too.

Bat:  Thanks!

Duane:  Thank you!  Another thing I like about option B is that the avenue there (which is Randlemann Road, for anyone who's curious) is turning into a primarily industrial corridor anyway.  So it would fit the flow of the area quite well too.  A = 2, B = 3

Pat:  Hmmm... I wonder if your univesity location is the same one that I have in mind.  Is it bordered by Battleground Avenue and Lawndale?   ;)  The terrain is indeed slightly flatter in area B... you have a good eye for this stuff (which I already knew from your own MD).  A = 2, B = 4

Dragonshardz:  Thanks for the input!  A = 2, B = 5

Hogmeister:  Thank you for visiting!

Sebes:  Thank you!  The poor area almost looks a little too nice to me... but that should change a little more over time.

Dustin:  Thanks!  The rebuild wasn't all that bad, really.  I think the thing that bothered me most about having to redo it was that it meant I had to do the "Make Historical" thing all over again as things came up.  Thanks for the vote too!  A = 2, B = 6

Edge:  Thank you!  Don't worry about being late... we were actually waiting for you so we could turn the music up anyway.

TopCliff:  Thanks!  I mentioned the water part already.  The downtown area is actually on fairly level ground... it's just surrounded by hills the I've already started to grow into.  Because that's where the flat area was, it made for the best spot to have all the different rail lines converge and there is the basis for the city.  ;)

Update Time!

Well, I discovered that the graphics card in my laptop isn't as good as I hoped it would be.  So this will be another pretty simple update, mostly just to show some more of the transportation network that I've laid out around Covington.  I've also been filling in some of the hills north of High Point (to the west of Covington) but I'll show that later.  For now, here is the updated transportation map.

There are a couple things I'm not quite happy with just yet, and I'm sure things will change to some extent.  The rural areas are pretty much set, but a couple of the major avenues in metro Covington need some fine tuning.  I didn't label these like I should have, but since I mentioned a couple of the street names, I'll list them off here just in case I refer to them again.  (I tend to forget sometimes that this is all just in my head and nobody else knows these locations unless I actually tell them!  :D )  So starting with Randlemann Road (which I mentioned is the avenue that passes point B from the old map) and going around clockwise:  We skip over the rail line and come to the US 220 expressway.  Just west of that is Freeman Mill Road (which is also the former alignment for US 220 by the way).  The looping road that joins it near the river is Holden Road.  Then we come to I-85 which is the main north-south expressway for the region.  Continuing around is High Point Road (original, isn't it?) which actually becomes Lee Street when it turns the corner near downtown.  Going north we get to Friendly Avenue and above that is Benjamin Parkway.  Then comes I-40 which is the main east west expressway for the region.  That's far enough for now... I'll make a proper map soon.  This list idea is too confusing... even I'm getting myself mixed up!

Since everyone seems to like them so much, here is the latest region shot of the same area with the latest farms around Raleigh.

Thanks for looking,
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

thundercrack83

Look at those farms! Outstanding work, Jon! Your region is looks amazing, my friend. I can't wait to see more of Covington!

Dustin

TopCliff

I really like the turn in the freeway in Covington. I just think, for realism purposes, that there should be loop for the freeway. Otherwise, a large curve was built for pretty much no reason. I really like your layout for this region. Keep up the good work.
Best movie of all time: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. If you disagree, Cameron will send your car over a cliff.

Please, call me Leo.  I quote John Lennon now, a great musician and philosopher. Particularly, one of his songs: You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you join us, and the world will live as one.

oyd

your region shots are beautiful..... &apls
"Dear Prudence wont you come out and play..."