• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Parkland - Adventures In Realism

Started by newyorkrunaway1, December 11, 2008, 10:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newyorkrunaway1

Welcome all to my MD! I have spent A LOT of time working on this one. It took me a near two weeks just to get the trees laid out in the region due to it being so large. There are  288 cities in this region. The largest I have ever worked with. Most of the tiles are for aesthetic purposes only though, so don't go thinking I am trying to populate all those tiles.

My style of region design is built around the principles of realism. Which are sometimes very hard to come by when it comes to Sim City. I spend a lot of time and effort and meticulous detailing on each of my cities. I may do things over and over again just so it looks right in the city. For this reason, sometimes updates may only happen once a week. This is for the sake of quality over quantity. I am not going to post a ton of pointless entries just to get views.

I spend a lot of time laying out my designs in my mind and on paper, long before they hit the mouse in-game. The layout i have now, took me several days just to map out the rail and highways. I always start with the highways, rail and major infrastructure before i do anything else. This way it creates borders for the growth to hit and it make it more realistic. I measure out the distance in miles it is in game so it can be more realistic that way too.

Since this question comes up a lot and I have answered it several times...lol... I am placing it here in the intro :

I grow all residential in my region. It takes a heck of a lot of patience and bulldozing until the right house grows, but that's how I do it. The only other thing I grow are creations from the stex/lex that are grow only, i.e. commercial and industrial that's not ploppable. Everything else in my region is plopped. but all of it is functional.

OK! Enough blabbing... Here is Parkland!

click on image for larger view, it is a very large file, you have been warned!

This is a heavily modded version of raregrk's Accurate Scale Map Of Montreal

I am using several mods for this region, they are noted below, all of which can either be found here at SC4D or ST :

American Traffic Mod

Andreas Automata (various uses)

Bridge Height Mod

Columbus Terrain Mod

Diagonal Edges Mod

NAM

No Rail Dirt

No Palms Mod

No One Way Arrows Mod

RH Plopmodd Levels Final

Slope Mod

Street Light Mod

Streetside Mod

Water Mod by Peagasus

Highway Asphalt Textures Mod

Zebra Avenue/Streets/Oneway Mod

Zoning Mod

As you can see, I use a lot of mods, some would consider some of those cheats. But since SC4 does not allow for realism on its own, you have to incorporate outside help to get to the point where you can make a visually appealing, realistic city.

If you have any questions as we go, just let me know! I will try to respond to every post!

Enjoy...

Table of Contents

All updates previous to December 10, 2008 can be found at ST via this link. This is because there have been quite a few updates, and they are rather large updates. If i placed all the pictures in one post over here, it would take quite a while to load. I don't want to bog anyone down. lol

Page 1:

North Parkland and Hunter's Island (lots of pics)
"The Unofficial Realism Oracle"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parkland - Adventures In RealismA CJ | By newyorkrunaway1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAUTF | North American Urban Transit Forum (New & Improved)
NashDEV Gallery | Nashville TN USA Gallery (Over 900 Pictures and counting)

newyorkrunaway1

This is a very large update, please be patient, there are a lot of pics

i will start off with the most recent region shots, click image for larger view, they are very large files, you have been warned....

This is the area known as North Parkland. It includes Hunters Island and the mall area, along with surrounding residential neighborhoods.

since there is so much question about me plopping or growing, here are some pics you might find interesting,

Here is North Parkland and Hunters Island... some are captioned, some are not

ExiLe

WOW!  &apls

Now that is what I call a massive region, with a good amount of planning involved. You are truly an amazing SC4D player, cannot wait to see more of your region and an indepth view on your planning.
It looks very american, which isn't of course a negative thing ;) I also like how lush and green the city is.
One thing that I do not like though is how flat and dull the landscape is. It might just be me, coming from a country where 90% + is mountains, woodlands and open tundra.

anyhoo, great work, I will definatly keep a close eye on this one  :thumbsup:
...coming soon

newyorkrunaway1

lol, im used to the flat, open land, where you can see forever as they say where im from. i am from dallas, where it is very flat, and you can see everything.

i like mountainous regions too, but for this city, is a plains city. taken ques from many midwest and southwest cities for this one.

thanks for the compliment, its compliments like that, that keep me going!  ;D

wouanagaine

Thanks to bring it here, this is a very well planned region and I like very much the use of parkings

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

homefryes

Very beautiful work, newyorkrunaway1 (may I call you NYR? ;)). It certainly does have a realistic feel to it! I'll be watching for more.

— Don
Utility Poles Project [linkie]
Ashtabula (the MD) is not dead; it's just on a really long hiatus!
Check out Homefryes' BATatorium

Toichus Maximus

nerdly_dood

This is one of the most realistic MDs I've seen in a while. Nice job!
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

blade2k5

Excellent MD newyorkrunway &apls  Definitely well planned and executed.  Look forward to more updates :thumbsup:

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.