• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

District of Wenzel - Update 116 - 3/17/15

Started by packersfan, June 04, 2010, 12:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packersfan

Replies to Your Comments:

nbvc: Nice update also great wotk on the last one with the Broadway Avenue.

Thank you for the kind words!

Update 43 - Wellington Park Neighborhood
Wellington Park Neighborhood is on the south side of Brittany River currently encompassing the area between South Ogden Avenue (N20), West Baltimore Avenue (D10), South 72nd Street (D31), and West Lucas Road.  The area is serviced by two WTAM lines - Green Line 4 and Purple Line 6.

Next time we'll check out Wellington Park itself.  A little bit of a teaser in the region photo.  You can see some of my projects to the south along the Penelope River.  Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.

bat

That are great views of your city. And the region overview is looking fantastic. The street map is nice, too.

Swordmaster

Wow, these are some awesome shots. Some great strip malls and suburban neighborhoods there. I especially like the alleys at the back of the houses. And that street map is still one of the best out there! I'm kind of curious to see when you'll take on freeway development.

Cheers,
Willy

Aaron Graham

Looks great, I like tat you have named this streets, keep it up. :thumbsup:
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

packersfan

Aaron Graham: Looks great, I like tat you have named this streets, keep it up.

Yes, it really adds to the fun and realism to name the streets.

Swordmaster:
Wow, these are some awesome shots. Some great strip malls and suburban neighborhoods there. I especially like the alleys at the back of the houses. And that street map is still one of the best out there! I'm kind of curious to see when you'll take on freeway development.

Cheers,
Willy

Well I actually am taking on freeway development now.  Since, these updates are all backed up you guys are actually a few months behind what I am doing currently, so if you check out the street map you will see freeways starting to pop up.

bat:
That are great views of your city. And the region overview is looking fantastic. The street map is nice, too.

Thank you, I really hope I can get this city really big and spread out.

Update 44 - Wellington and Windemere Parks
As promised here is Wellington Park and most of the area between South 64th Street, West Baltimore Avenue, and South 56th Street.  South Ogden Avenue cuts a southwest-northeast path through the area paralleled by Green Line 4 of the WTAM.  This area is filled with parks and trees, a very pleasant pocket of Martin.

We can see Uttica Creek off to the left.

Now we see the Uttica Creek Parkway.

Back up to the intersection of Baltimore Avenue, Ogden Avenue, and 56th Street.

Windemere Park

That was Wellington Park, Uttica Creek Parkway, Windemere Park, and the little neighborhood around St Pancratius.  Next time will we probably continue moving east exploring the area between Baltimore Avenue and Lucas Road.  Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.

nbvc

Great work the industrial area and the region looks also nice. :thumbsup:

packersfan

nbvc: Great work the industrial area and the region looks also nice.

Thanks.  Hope you keep enjoying the updates.

Update 45 - Kelvyn Park Neighborhood
We continue our travel views of the city east between Baltimore Avenue and Lucas Road.  First we start with Kelvyn Park which is bound by South 48th Street, West Le Moyne Street, South 45th Street, and West Chestnut Avenue.

A statue of Baros Kelvyn in the southeast corner of the park.

Clouds and rain move in as we look at Chestnut Cemetery just south across Chestnut Avenue from Kelvyn Park.

The clouds begin to clear.  Chestnut Cemetery is bounded to the east by the Hohler Passenger Rail Line.

South 56th Street serves as a commercial district between Wellington Park and Kelvyn Park neighborhoods.

What makes a neighborhood a neighborhood, the residents.

Our Savior Lutheran Church on 49th and Le Moyne.

Again the highlighted area is what we have seen today.

The region view is updated.  I've completed some more of South Martin.  I need to get in the habit of preparing areas (even if not fully developed) to be used for updates.  I'm doing my best, but it seems I have no time, ha.  I want to try to finish of most of South Martin down to the Penelope River and prepare Bayview for update, too.  Then I want to expand the city along the Brittany River significantly.  Once the city spreads significantly, freeways will be introduced (I really can't wait, haha).  Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.

peter007

I like it's great.

Nice region views. I hope you got more  ::)

-Ernst

Swordmaster

Nice updates. The street map is awesome, as usual.

Cheers,
Willy

RickD

Some day I want to make a region like yours. Spread out and with realistic dimensions. BTW, I love that diagonal area in the region shot. It adds a lot of realism.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

packersfan

RickD: Some day I want to make a region like yours. Spread out and with realistic dimensions. BTW, I love that diagonal area in the region shot. It adds a lot of realism.

Thanks.  There are a few people that do spread out regions well and they always look so great.  The key is to just keep building.

Swordmaster:
Nice updates. The street map is awesome, as usual.

Cheers,
Willy

Thanks a lot.  You kinda get a little of a sneak peak at the future of the region since here at SCD my diary is 12 entries behind where I actually am.

peter007:
I like it's great.

Nice region views. I hope you got more 

-Ernst

Lots more where that came from.

Update 46 - South 40th Street - Brittany River to Lucas Road
Today we will start travelling south on 40th Street.  40th Street is serviced by WTAB (Wenzel Transit Authority Bus) Route 40.  Between the Brittany River and Baltimore Avenue, 40th Street is heavily industrialized.

We start our tour crossing the Brittany River

The bleak industrial rundown area of 40th Street

As you can see I added a bus stop sign.  I didn't add it to my previous intersections out of a little laziness, haha.  I will post a bigger version in the future, and maybe alter it a little more.  It designates the route (40) and the route it intersects (27) on Lucas Road.

Next time we will continue travelling south on 40th Street.  Keep up the great feedback.  Tips are welcome...except for FAR and FARR...those great fractional angle roads just don't suit my needs ;P.  Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.

Swordmaster

Great update. I think your industrial districts are top-notch, most of the time. I also liked that intersection with the gas stations.

Quote from: packersfan on April 02, 2012, 07:08:27 PMTips are welcome...except for FAR and FARR...those great fractional angle roads just don't suit my needs

I understand FAR has limited use when it comes to urban areas (vs. more rural ones), because of limited road access to adjacent lots. But for railroads, I really think your wobbly style is a bit too far-fetched. To be honest, for me, your rail network has little appeal because of it. That's just my opinion, of course.

Cheers,
Willy

packersfan

Swordmaster: Great update. I think your industrial districts are top-notch, most of the time. I also liked that intersection with the gas stations.

I understand FAR has limited use when it comes to urban areas (vs. more rural ones), because of limited road access to adjacent lots. But for railroads, I really think your wobbly style is a bit too far-fetched. To be honest, for me, your rail network has little appeal because of it. That's just my opinion, of course.

Cheers,
Willy

Yeah, I see what you are saying.  In a perfect game my rail would all be smooth...and in many places I admit I probably could use FARR (so I might look into overhauling some sections), but like I said the limitations also occur with range of angles...obviously 45 and 90 degrees with the original game and then 71 and 18? with the FARR...I mean what if I want/need a slightly different angle...I guess I need to work on that a little bit, haha.  I really do love the look of FARR compared to my step system.

Swordmaster

Quote from: packersfan on April 03, 2012, 08:20:18 PM
Yeah, I see what you are saying.  In a perfect game my rail would all be smooth...and in many places I admit I probably could use FARR (so I might look into overhauling some sections), but like I said the limitations also occur with range of angles...obviously 45 and 90 degrees with the original game and then 71 and 18? with the FARR...I mean what if I want/need a slightly different angle...I guess I need to work on that a little bit, haha.  I really do love the look of FARR compared to my step system.

The FARR pieces provide much more flexibility than just adding these two angles. After all, you don't need straight lines all the time. Alternating the various puzzle pieces to find a workable middle ground between perfect straights and your current method would already be a major improvement.

Cheers,
Willy

packersfan

Update 47 - South 40th Street: Uttica Creek to Atkinson Avenue
We continue south on 40th Street.  40th Street south of Oklahoma Avenue is lined with shops and offices.  Half a mile to the west is the University of Wenzel - Martin campus.

Uttica Creek Elementary School is ahead on the right.

Just a short little update.  I think the next update we will look at the area west of 40th Street and maybe even the university.  Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.  Tell me what you think of the new map style (scroll down to the furthest south area of google map style).

packersfan

Update 48 - University of Wenzel - Martin Campus
Today we visit the University of Wenzel - Martin Campus.  The university has around 10,000 undergraduate students and another 5,000 graduate students.  The university's athletic teams are called the Red Raiders, and despite its mascot being a buccaneer, the university is still under pressure from native peoples to change the name.  A total of 18 Red Raider athletic teams compete in WCAA Division I.

The university consists of seven undergraduate colleges, a graduate school, a nursing school, a law school, and a medical school and hospital.

The title picture is the northeast corner of the university consisting mainly of the medical school, hospital, and medical research laboratories.

In this mosaic, we see more lecture halls, academic centers, and student housing.  The UWM campus is quite condensed and consists of buildings spanning many eras.  Towards the bottom of the picture we can see Andrew Marshall Track & Field.

Now facing west, we see Hollins Arena, more housing, and the original core campus.

Recreational opportunities are available throughout campus, especially on the west side near Hollins Arena.

North edge of campus with a METRA railroad as a boundary.

Facing south we see the UWM METRA station, student housing, and recreational fields.

Facing east we see Red Raiders Stadium home of the D-1 football team.

Facing north we see more athletic fields.

I hope you enjoyed that update.  I clearly haven't mastered creating a massive university yet, haha, but I am for the most part pleased with how it turned out.  Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.  Tell me what you think of the new map style (scroll down to the farthest south area of google map style).

nbvc

RickD

I like the university. It looks like it has grown naturally. With the historic buildings in the center and the newer facilities around it. Great work.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

packersfan

RickD: I like the university. It looks like it has grown naturally. With the historic buildings in the center and the newer facilities around it. Great work.

Thanks, I didn't think it turned out like I really wanted, but it seems to be popular.  Originally, I was trying to go for a big university (a la University of Wisconsin, Ohio State, etc.) those big sprawling campuses, but it ended up becoming something more like the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

nbvc:
Great images and region shots.

Thanks, I like the region shots, too.

Update 49 - University Neighborhood
Today we look at the neighborhood east of the University of Wenzel - Martin.  I also included some shots of 48th Street north of Oklahoma Avenue in the Uttica Creek Parkway neighborhood.

Some shots from Uttica Creek Parkway neighborhood.  We will have more from this area later.

University Neighborhood

I am excited for you guys to finally be able to see Update 50 next week.  If is a big one.

On another note, I am losing a little of my SimCity drive right now, just feel lathargic putting together updates and playing the game.  This won't really affect you guys since you are about 10 updates behind at this point.  Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.  You will notice freeway slowly popping up as I reveal it through updates over at Simtropolis, so you roadgeeks will be drooling in anticipation (though I feel the map looks better than the actually game pictures.)

packersfan

Update 50 - The Big 5-0: Then and Now
It has been one year and eight months since the start of the District of Wenzel city journal.  What follows is a mix of old pictures and new pictures of the areas.  Also, I have multiple views of the region from various points throughout development.

Martin County Statistics
Population: 775,000
Townships: Charlotte, Sussex, Portland, Jefferson, Brittany, Martin, Hawthorne, Apostles
Cities and Villages:
Martin - 655,000
South Martin - 65,000
Hohler - 15,000
Jefferson - 7,500
Hawthorne - 5,000
St. Paul - 5,500
Jade - 5,000
Sussex - 4,000
Bayview - 2,000
St. Andrew - 1,000
Anchor - 1,000
North St. Paul - 800
Fort Orangeport - 400
Axelrod - 300

Unincorporated Communities:
Fairchild
Lexington
Kinsman
Trinity
St. Mark
St. James
St. Peter
Brandywine Junction

National Highways: 20, 45
District Highways: 10, 15, 29, 31, 34, 42, 50, 67, 100, 111, 140, 230, 266, 315
County Highways: H, O, X, BB
Airports: Martin Municipal Airport (2 Runways)
Metro Lines: 8
Waterways: Brittany River, Penelope River, Christina River, Cedarwood Creek, Uttica Creek, Braddock Creek, Orchard Creek, Honey Creek, Portland Creek, Rosmarin River, Mine Run, Basil Inlet, Whitefish Bay, Newberg's Creek, Bitter Creek, Kewaunee Creek
Colleges and Universities: 5 (Parquart University, University of Wenzel - Martin, Martin Luther College, St. Mary's College, Southall College)
Stadiums and Arenas: Municipal Stadium (Baseball), Staples Center, Hollins Arena, Red Raiders Stadium, Nelson Everest Field, Andrew Marshall Track and Field

Size: 288 Square Miles
Land: 240 Square Miles (Estimate)

The region before men came.

Men came and carved out many acres of farmland and founded the port cities of Martin, Hawthorne, and St. Paul on the Brittany, Penelope, and Christina Rivers respectively.

Martin at the mouth of the Brittany River (which travels inland the farthest) has spread to its current form and is the seat of Martin county government, District of Wenzel government, and Wenzel National government.  Hawthorne and St. Paul are poised for growth as suburbs.

Very early Martin.

Martin continued to spread west along the peninsula to the north of the Brittany River.

"Old Town" today is home to the headquarters of a number of global companies, and also the county and district governments.

Martin has spread all around the confluence of the Brittany River, Bitter Creek, Orchard Creek, and Honey Creek.  Only the East Flats remain undeveloped for now.

The first river road, now District Highway 50, leads through many lush farms along the Brittany River.

More farms south of the river along what will be District Highway 10.

The pristine river and farmland with Martin Road Bridge crossing the Brittany River.

Near the mouth of Portland Creek, District Highways 50 and 230 intersect.

The Brittany River Road, now Brittany River Boulevard (D50) is surrounded by high-rises and workshops.

A larger bridge spans the Brittany River parallel to a rail bridge.  Now District Highway 15 runs along this stretch known as Grand Avenue north of the river and South Eighth Street south of it.

Capital Square and Park, the seat of Wenzel national government.

The intersection of District Highways 50 and 230 is considerably more developed and expanded.  Municipal Stadium is nearby.

Southall Park and Southall College now.

The near north side.  The intersection of future North Prospect Avenue and East Orchard Avenue.

Farms between Orchard and Honey Creeks.

Development of Cramer Neighborhood.

Carving out Lincoln Terraces.

Cramer Neighborhood today.

Lincoln Terraces around the intersection of North Prospect Avenue and East Orchard Avenue.

The Near North Side today.

District Highway 29 intersecting with future Oklahoma Avenue.

Undeveloped intersection of District Highways 34 and 15.

This intersection of South Wisconsin Avenue (D29) and East Oklahoma Avenue is one of the busiest in the county now.

Now the simple intersection of D35 and D15 is now a complicated intersection of three major thoroughfares. National Highway 45 also piggybacks on Hawthorne Avenue (D34).

Further development around Sixteenth Street.

The extent of development west at District Highway 15.  The apple orchard is the future site of Applewood Neighborhood.

Development encroaching on the orchard.

The region through the years

Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.  Tell me what you think of the new map style (scroll down to the farthest south area of google map style).  I am currently overhauling and adding many new maps, keep checking it out!

Thanks for 50 great updates!  I hope we have an even more successful next 50!