• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

District of Wenzel - Update 116 - 3/17/15

Started by packersfan, June 04, 2010, 12:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricardomiranda

dedgren

Now that's what I'm talkin' about.  Drop dead realistic- beautiful sense of scale and place.

&apls  &apls  &apls

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

rooker1

I must agree with David, that is beautiful!!
&apls

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

bat

Your MD is really good!
And the region is looking fantastic!!! :thumbsup:

packersfan

Thanks for following.  I haven't been able to update here due to being banned for the last three months for some reason.  I'm so glad I'm back, especially so I can tap into the LEX.

packersfan

Update 15 - Luther Neighborhood
Welcome back!  In this update we continue southwest of Brittany River into Luther Neighborhood.

It has been nearly four months since I've been able to update here on SC4Devotion, so I will be getting these backlogged updates up for you guys.  For some reason I was banned from the site (probably a virus or something.)

Can you spot the composite pictures in the mosaics?

Farmland along D34 (Hawthorne Pike).

Hawthorne Pike expanded to 4 lanes and renamed Hawthorne Ave.

Triangle between E Baltimore Ave, S Harrison Rd, and E Hawthorne Ave.

The Triangle

The Triangle Continued

Luther Neighborhood named because of Martin Luther College and the Lutheran Cemetery

Western edge of Luther Neighborhood.  Milwaukee style apartments along D15 (S 8th Street).

The mosaics all consist of composite pictures from three different city tiles.  I hate seeing the city edges so I took pictures from the surrounding cities, went into GIMP and created a big composite picture and then selected an area and made mosaics.  It really makes Luther Neighborhood feel completely different seeing it in context next the stuff shown in the last update!

What do you think?  I have so much to show, just in this one to two mile radius around downtown Martin where the city has expanded.  Keep your eye out for next week's update.

Exla357

Great job! I love the diagonals, that's super hard in Sim City. Have you heard that the SPAM (SimPeg Agricultural Mod) is out on the STEX? It completely redesigns all Maxis farms and adds new features. If you haven't already downloaded it, I reccomend it!
PS (I am not a paid endorser LOL)

marsh

Awesome work. I was wondering why you stopped updating here.  &mmm  I like to comment here anyhow. The ST CJ section is meh now.  :(

,marsh

Reikhardt

Nice update! GLad to hear you are able to post here again!

peter007

packersfan

Update 16 - Highland Neighborhood and Brittany River Industry
This update we will move a little north to view the area between Baltimore Ave and Brittany River.  Heavy industry occupies the area between Highland Ave (D10) and Brittany River.  South of W Highland Ave, a low density residential neighborhood flourishes.  This neighborhood is called Highland Neighborhood and is situated between S Harrison Rd, W Highland Ave (D10), W Baltimore Ave, and S 24th St (D230).  D15 runs through the east end of the neighborhood along S 6th St and then S 8th St.  The neighborhood is serviced primarily by the Wenzel Transit Authority Bus System, but the Wenzel Transit Authority Metro (WTAM) also runs along the southern edge of the neighborhood along Baltimore Ave.

I suggest opening in another tab/window the region map of the District of Wenzel.

District of Wenzel Street Map

Beautifully lit power plants on the south bank of the Brittany River.

We start our tour of Highland Neighborhood on the northwestern edge.  This is North Division High School.

Allen Field School (Kindergarten - 5th Grade)

Some cleaner industry within the neighborhood.

George Mason Elementary School (Kindergarten - 5th Grade) and Hanover Street Methodist Church.

Hanover German Immersion School.  All classes are taught exclusively in German and all students are required to speak only in German.

Mason Park.  I forgot to include pictures of the origins of the park.  Maybe I will make that a separate update.

Highland Neighborhood police and fire departments.

Now a look at the industry north of Highland Ave.  This factory is located at 1450 W Cutler St (where S 14th St would pass through).  Opposite the factory are some water treatment vats.

W Warren Ave sits at a little higher elevation that the factory along the rail.

More manufacturing.  A small neighborhood which houses factory workers sits in the middle of much of these factories.

Overview of the area.

A nice sunset shot of a factory.  I took this at the same time I took the title picture on the east side of S Harrison Rd.

Mosaic including heavy industry and the eastern end of Highland Neighborhood.  We can see Calvert Middle School, Oakwood Baptist Church, and the edge of Baltimore High School's campus in the lower half of the picture.

Overview of the heavy industry straddling D15.

The aforementioned Baltimore High School.

I hope you enjoyed these views of southwestern Martin.  What do you think?  Too many pictures?  What would you like to see?  The next update will either move south and view Applewood Neighborhood (W Baltimore Ave - W Lucas Rd - S 8th St - S 16th St) or I'll show you the northeast neighborhoods I've been working on.  So much to show and the city is still young and "small" 275,000 residents or so.

Tomas Neto

packersfan

Update 17 - Near East Side - Cramer Neighborhood
Now we move to the north side of the Brittany River, more specifically, the Near East Side, the area between Orchard Creek and Honey Creek north of downtown.  This update focuses on Cramer Neighborhood which lies between N Webster Ave, E North Ave, N Prospect Ave, and E Sherman Ave.  The neighborhood is home to low-wealth residents and has two schools (Cramer School - Martin Public Schools [MPS] and St. Mary's Catholic School)

District of Wenzel Street Map

Open farmland north of Martintown.

Honey Creek flows south from Marble Lake into Willms Bay.

The farmland is paved over and development booms around Cramer School.

Cramer School (MPS - Kindergarten through Sixth Grade)

St. Mary's Catholic Church and School

N Prospect Ave

The southwest corner of Cramer Neighborhood.

The western boundary of Cramer Neighborhood - N Webster Ave.

Cramer Neighborhood during the day.  Note: the boundaries for the neighborhood are loose.  Residences on the few blocks west of N Webster Ave are also considered part of the neighborhood.

Cramer Neighborhood at night.

TEASER: Ivanhoe Terraces

Thanks for visiting Cramer Neighborhood.  The next update will continue our little picture tour of the Near East Side (now that I think about it, my map calls this area the Lower East Side).  We will move north of E Sherman Ave.  Based on the teaser I chose I will focus on the Ivanhoe Terraces neighborhood west of N Webster Ave.  Hopefully my city building is not boring and uninteresting.  I am aiming for realism, and real cities can be a little repetitive.  That is one reason I am focusing heavily on naming neighborhoods, schools, churches, etc, to give the "monotony" some life.  Tell me what you think!

RickD

Good to see you back. I was wondering what happened.

Your MD is very fascinating. Sometimes, when I'm bored, I scroll around in Google Earth. I find the development in the "middle part" of the US very interesting. With the square farm fields, the road grid and how the symmetry is sometimes broken by a hill or a river. Your MD is very much like this.

My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

packersfan

Yup, I reference Google a lot for ideas.  I've also been tempted to just recreate areas, haha.  Yes, I was bummed to be banned, especially since I was one of the highlighted diaries at the time.

marsh

Awesome job. And the map is coming along nicely.   :)

,marsh

kwakelaar

Lots of nice shots, I like that you sometimes show an overview and then zoom in to let us see some more detail. Nice work.

packersfan

Can anyone help me with the Lot Editor?  I'm trying to install it but I keep getting the ERROR: Can't read registry.  I want to make custom lots, including some 1x3 medium wealth residential lots with garages, but no luck installing the editor!

Zaphod

That aerial region view from earlier in this thread is absolutely incredible. It looks exactly like something from Google Earth. With the Lake to the east and the farmland to the west, and a city built around a river outlet-that is definitely the geography of cities along Lake Michigan and its very recognizable.

Also, I'm always a fan of street naming. Gives it a sense of place. Baltimore Ave-you know your in the hood. Lol
War Kittens !?