• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

nerdly_projects

Started by nerdly_dood, June 06, 2008, 11:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nerdly_dood

I have recently (aka two days ago) figured out how to re-skin automata in SC4.  And believe you me, i went to TOWN with that stuff!

My version of Swamper77's mods
I started off with making a yellow version of Swamper77's American fire vehicle mod.

The rural fire unit works fine:

The ladder unit works too:

Rescue Unit 1 works...

...but only if I have your Automata Essentials file in my plugins folder (I emptied it so that the game would load faster, and I forgot to keep that from being moved)

The Pumper looks strange.  That is only because when I was turning the PNGs into a FSH file, I changed them into the DXT1 format instead of the DXT3 format.  I have fixed the problem but I haven't had a chance to test the updated version in-game, and Ilive's Reader isn't the best method of showing such things.

I am also in the process of making a different version of the ambulance that came with your Euro emergency vehicle pack, but it is still in the PNG editing phase, so I don't have any in-game pictures.  A preliminary description is that it will have a red-and-yellow stripe along the side.  I haven't started on the Euro fire van yet, or the ladder unit, but I intend to do something with them, possibly turn them yellow, possibly something else.

I have also noted that there is a function to export automata models into 3DS files, which I may use with the plugin manager to turn my new vehicles into props...

I have attached a zip with all the fire units on the last page of Swamper77's Garage.

My version of Peg's cop cars

I am planning to release a BLaM/Peg NYPD cop car that does not have the number on the trunklid (because all the cop cars have the same number) and red lights on top like real NYPD cruisers. (I have changed the lights already, and have an in-game image, but I haven't changed the trunklid number yet; it should be easy) 

Also, I edited the blue-and-white SCPD cop car so that it has a more realistic light on top (But I still can't make it 3D) and instead of SCPD on the side, it has the emblem from the "BLack and White with Seal" police car, because SCPD implies that every city that uses this police car design is called SimCity, whereas with my version it doesn't have any reference to a particular in-game police department.

Here is my (partially) updated NYPD police car in-game, magnified by the SizeOf cheat:

I will post an update picture as soon as I can remove the car number from the trunklid.

I thought I had an in-game picture of the blue-and-white police car, but I don't so i took a screenshot of the car in Ilive's Reader:

My Own Stuff

And finally, I have made a blue police car with a white stripe:

And I have also made a Spanish National Police car (Policía Nacional de España):

I am aware that Fukuda lives in Barcelona; someone could possibly notify him of this car so he can give me pointers on realism and such.  Sadly, I cannot change the model, so I cannot make it into a hatchback like National Police cars are in reality.

I have attached a zip with the blue cop car and the Spanish police car.  I did not include the blue-and-white police car because I haven't received an answer for my permission request, and I didn't include the NYPD cop car for the same reason, and also because it isn't done.

IF YOU FIND THE SLIGHTEST PROBLEM WITH ANY OF MY MODS, NOTIFY ME IMMEDIATELY!
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

jeronij

Some ideas about spanish police cars:

GUARDIA CIVIL

....  ;D

Something more realistic now:

POLICIA NACIONAL

And a hopefully interesting link:
http://www.diariomotor.com/2008/03/09/nuevos-vehiculos-para-la-policia-citroen-c4-picasso-seat-altea-xl-y-mercedes-sprinter/

POLICIA LOCAL

These are quite variated, and different in each city. Usually on a white basis. Some examples:

I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

nerdly_dood

I bought a model Spanish National Police car on my Spring Break trip to Spain, which is what I used as my template; and also I have seeen that particular design when I was there in addition to the dark blue paint job.  I cannot, however, modify the model to make it a hatchback.  I am about to upload to the STEX now...
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.

Pat

WoW Nerdly I am impressed here seeing yellow trucks even though I am a die hard fire engines are red fan lol these look very good!!!  Make sure you have proper permission from Jan and Peg if you can upload the modified versions...

NB: I seen you already gotten permission from Jan but also as he said make sure you got the updated version to make them fit right.... also dont forget to make a readme....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

That was quick work for two days worth. It seems like you did a good job on those. I know you may not be able to change the model, but the light bar looks a bit off (though that is really a cosmetic thing). I would be interested to know if there were any particular tutorials you used to figure this process out. I have one or two ideas (SF style cable cars) but don't want to pester anyone to do them. Plus it would be good to learn it myself. Good work.

nerdly_dood

There are thousands of cable cars out there, and none of them are like the ones near where I live...because there are none where I live! All there are is a bunch of coal trains...

Okay, so here's the deal.  I have TWENTY-SEVEN police cars that need to be tested! They are in the following categories:

Blue
-Blue cruiser with the word 'police' in small type inside a break in the white stripe
-...with a gold star that doesn't get hit with the flip bug on the other side of the car
-...with a small gold star and the word 'police' real big so you can REALLY tell that it's reversed on one side

Blue and white
-Similar to PEG's SCPD cruiser but without the SCPD, instead with a gold star
-...with the PEG police car seal
-...with the word POLICE but no star or seal

Brown sheriff
-Blue lights with the worD 'sheriff' and a small gold star (gets reversed on one side)
-Blue lights with a gold star, doesn't get reversed
-Red lights with both above options (two separate cars)

Generic international (White car with a blue stripe)
-Blue lights, a gold star on the door, and a plain hood
-Blue lights, a gold star on the door, and the word 'police' on the hood
-Blue lights, a gold star on the door, and the word 'policia' on the hood
-The same options with the PEG seal on the door
-All of those options with red lights (adding up to a total of 12 cars)

One particular police department (To be released one-by-one)
-Spanish national police
-Las Vegas, NV police
-Chicago, IL police
-California Highway Patrol

Also, I have a small mod made that is only ONE of Swamper77's American fire vehicles, and it is the replacement version of the rural fire truck, with an ORANGE paint job.  In addition, I need to re-test the yellow fire trucks, and I re-skinned his Euro emergency vehicles to give them more details like stripes and text. (Due to the way he has modded them, this text does NOT get reversed on one side of the vehicles)

What I have planned that I am willing to tell you about that I haven't started yet:
-Virginia state police
-Washington, D.C. Metro police
-Michigan state police
-Thames Valley, England police

Once I have finally tested and uploaded all my mods that are currently in development, I have an idea that has been in my head for a long time, but I refuse to tell you what it is... until I have the first one in the set done. (They will be released in a single set.)

Swamper77

Quote from: nerdly_dood on June 09, 2008, 11:29:26 AM
Also, I have a small mod made that is only ONE of Swamper77's American fire vehicles, and it is the replacement version of the rural fire truck, with an ORANGE paint job.  In addition, I need to re-test the yellow fire trucks, and I re-skinned his Euro emergency vehicles to give them more details like stripes and text. (Due to the way he has modded them, this text does NOT get reversed on one side of the vehicles)

Nerdly,

There's a difference between modded and modeled :P

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

Godzillaman

Quote from: jeronij on June 06, 2008, 01:10:05 PM
Some ideas about spanish police cars:

GUARDIA CIVIL

....  ;D

Hehe...good luck getting away...:P

I've never really seen yellow firetrucks...is there an American fire department that actually uses yellow on their trucks?
"With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound he pulls the spitting high-tension wires down..."

nerdly_dood

@ Godzillaman: Yup, there are a lot of them, but they aren't very common.  Roanoke County VA has yellow fire trucks, but Roanoke CITY has red ones, as does most every place around here other than roanoke county.  Salem, VA has red ambulances and red fire trucks, too, but the way Swamper77 has his American ambulances set up it will take a bit of fiddling to get them done right.

@ Swamper77: Modeled does seem better, considering that in the wireframe view in the Reader I can see a separate rectangle where the emblem overlay whatchamacallems are... ;)

Pat

Godzillaman and would you belive it if I said there are white trucks, blue, and even black trucks too  ;D

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

nerdly_dood

Yup, i've seen white and black fire trucks too! (But only online looking for ideas)

A more detailed description of what I intend to do for fire vehicles is available HERE.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I think I should add something to the post above listing a bunch of police car stuff:  I posted that to say that I'm kinda overwhelmed by what-all I have to test.  If you are willing to test something, PM me or email me or whatever, but I recommend that you mention what exactly you want to test, because if you don't I'll send you EVERY cop car I have made so far for you to test.

EDIT 2: I have fixed the Chicago police car now, it is ready to be...tested.

Pat

CPD is ready well then send it my way and I'll get stuff tested away!!!

nerdly_dood

PM sending in, like, 5 seconds... ;)

Well, I can't attach files to a PM, so here's what the PM said:

You asked for it, and more importantly, you specified which one you wanted... So here ya go, it's my Chicago police car.  I HIGHLY recommend reading the README also attached. (You might want to turn off fixed-width fonts, cause it's a .txt file and it's long)

Good thing I can attach files somewhere... :D

Pat

LoL Nerdly there is also www.fileden.com to upload stuff to...

NB: Tested and so far I didnt need to change any of the PD that was there in my city and the UDI Works...

nerdly_dood

Today I tested all of them, and all of them except the ones that I tried to give a double-light effect worked fine... I copied the blue light effect from Swamper77's Euro fire truck and put it in the police car DAT file to see if that would give the car two rotating light effects, and the lights ended up rotating above the headlights, and the car was very similar to the image Pat posted above. (It was the generic police car with blue lights, a blank hood and a star on the door)

And of course I forgot to put the images on my flash drive... So I can't upload to the STEX now; I'll upload tomorrow....

All I have left to do, other than experimenting, is make the English police car the Washington DC police car, and Michigan state police; everything else is done and ready...for me to go and get pictures for.

nerdly_dood

I know i'm double posting, but this is a very necessary update.

Okay, so finally I have gotten some pictures of my police car mods.  I have, at last count, THIRTY-ONE cars made, and that's just the police cars!  I have two more to do, and two more that are done that i need to test in SimCity. The ones that I have done are shown below.

Blue police cars
Blue with POLICE

Blue standard

Blue with star

Blue and white police cars
Blue/white with Peg emblem

Blue/white with star

Blue/white with POLICE

Brown sheriff
Brown with SHERIFF and blue lights

Brown with star and blue lights

Brown with SHERIFF and red lights

Brown with star and red lights

Generic international police cars
Generic with blue lights, Peg emblem and plain hood

Generic with blue lights, Peg emblem and POLICE on the hood

Generic with blue lights, PEG emblem and POLICIA on the hood
[/img]http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd138/nerdly_dood/Emergency%20vehicle%20mods/GenericBLUEPEGPOLICIA.png[/img]

Generic with blue lights, star and blank hood

Generic with blue lights, star and POLICE on the hood

Generic with blue lights, star and POLICIA on the hood

Generic with red lights, PEG emblem and blank hood

Generic with red lights, PEG emblem and POLICE on the hood

Generic with red lights, PEG emblem and POLICIA on the hood

Generic with red lights, star and blank hood

Generic with red lights, star and POLICE on the hood

Generic with red lights, star and POLICIA on the hood

Real police departments
Virginia state police

Las Vegas, NV police

NYPD with straight lights

NYPD with V-shaped lights

California Highway Patrol (Discreet, aka Swat, has done some testing)

Chicago, IL police (Pat has done some testing)

More detailed European fire vehicles, models by Ripptide, turned into automata by Swamper77, I re-skinned them
Ambulance (Preliminary version, more legible text in release version)

Fire van (Preliminary version, more legible text in release version)

Ladder unit (Final version)

Yellow American fire vehicles, models by Ripptide, turned into automata by Swamper77, I re-skinned them
Ladder unit

Pumper unit

Rescue unit 1

Rescue unit 2

Rural fire unit

And finally that's all I have done and tested and ready for release (except the Euro emergency units, they need more legible text)

Swamper77 has offered me some light models to use in these cars.  I should mention that once you first download the cars this afternoon, it will be about a week before they get a major light-model update which will make the first version obsolete, except the Michigan state police car, which uses a red bubble light, so I'll just use the Maxis light model for them.

jayo

you do work hard don't you  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Exellent  :D
I'm back

Une_ame

The reskin of Swamper and PEG's cars and Truck was a very good idea, the result is awesome &apls. I hope to see some European Police cars as good as those :thumbsup:.
babuloziwad / adj Above perfection in SC4; Dude, this MOD is ~ !

nerdly_dood

That reminds me...I should give you links to some other police car mods that already exist.

At Simtropolis you can get...

The PEG Cop Car Mod, HERE, requires registration at Simtropolis.com

Gotham City police car mod, HERE, requires registration at Simtropolis.com

Japanese police car, HERE, requires registration at Simtropolis.com

At SimCityKurier (a German-language website), you can get...

German civic vehicles, HERE, DOES NOT require registration at kurier.simcityplaza.de

At ToutSimCity (a French-language website), you can get...

French police car, HERE, requires registration at ToutSimCity.com

French fire truck, HERE, requires registration at ToutSimCity.com

At SimCityCentral you can get...

Dutch civic vehicles, HERE, requires registration at SimCityCentral.net

Swedish civic vehicles, HERE, requires registration at SimCityCentral.net

Russian civic vehicles, HERE, requires registration at SimCityCentral.net

Polish civic vehicles, HERE, requires registration at SimCityCentral.net

British civic vehicles, HERE, requires registration at SimCityCentral.net

nerdly_dood

Yes i know i'm double-posting, but I have been recently invading the STEX with my police cars and fire trucks.  I have so many that they are beginning to spill over onto page 2, with 3 files separating yesterday's uploads and today's.