• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Civil engineering support thread: slope mods, other tools and issues

Started by Ennedi, February 14, 2008, 03:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradf_50

Quote from: Andreas on December 12, 2016, 06:32:29 AM
"Supports RHW" surely meant that it will create proper slopes when you drag a stretch of RHW, avoiding steep grades. This doesn't mean it creates the ability to use tunnels, since this is something hard-coded into the game. Tunnels for "tall" networks, such as el-rail or monorail, need an extremely steep and tall slope as well. Ideally, use the "raise terrain" tool with a very small brush size, and carefully lift one tile, so it would produce an almost vertical slope. It's a good idea to clean out your plugins, though, and them move back stuff gradually, until you found the potential culprit.

OK got it Thanks!

I just finished an experiment. made a sandbox city fresh region. Nothing in plugins except for NAM and I used the BRF slope mod. pics are attached. as you can see it did draw the path for the El-rail through the mesa. But no tunnel entrance. When I show paths it doesn't show it going through. So not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Andreas

That's not the in-game el-rail, but some override that comes with the NAM. I presume that there are no alternative tunnel portal models included, though. The tunnel might be functional after all, but the visual appearance is a bit off, naturally. ;)
Andreas

bradf_50

Quote from: Andreas on December 12, 2016, 03:22:26 PM
That's not the in-game el-rail, but some override that comes with the NAM. I presume that there are no alternative tunnel portal models included, though. The tunnel might be functional after all, but the visual appearance is a bit off, naturally. ;)

Don't know actually. I have NAM version 35 installed and pretty much go with the default install. I will take a look and see if there are any alternatives.

Well at this point I think I will just work around and hills with the El-Rail. Too me it doesn't look very good the way it is. Looks is what I'm looking for. At least there is the workaround for rhw (MHW-RHW).

I know the NAM team is busy and have a lot of things to work on I doubt this is one of them. For me it's just not worth going any further with attempts.

Thanks for your help!!!!

You're a busy guy! being a member of so many teams that are fairly busy and helping us players out to boot.

Andreas

Well, right now, I'm only active in the SFBT, but I'll try to help where I can. ;) It looks like you installed the "Alternative Elevated Rail Implementation" (have a look at the NAM readme, there is a file that explains the alternative components), so you should run the NAM installer again and remove the checkmark for this component.
Andreas

bradf_50

Quote from: Andreas on December 12, 2016, 05:00:08 PM
Well, right now, I'm only active in the SFBT, but I'll try to help where I can. ;) It looks like you installed the "Alternative Elevated Rail Implementation" (have a look at the NAM readme, there is a file that explains the alternative components), so you should run the NAM installer again and remove the checkmark for this component.

Thanks Andreas!  I will check that out today.

Brad

bradf_50

Quote from: bradf_50 on December 13, 2016, 10:44:52 AM
Quote from: Andreas on December 12, 2016, 05:00:08 PM

Thanks Andreas!  I will check that out today.

Brad

Hey Andreas

Well I did as you asked. Re-install NAM 35 and unchecked alternate el-rail. Checked it in a sandbox and also in play and ended up looking just like as before as in the images I sent you. Actually I don't see any difference. But my powers of observation aren't that great anyway. But it looks as before. It runs the tunnel through at least it looks like it, but no tunnel entrance. Turning on draw paths doesn't show a break so it probably would fly but looks wise not. This is using the BRF slope mod. I get the same results using the Ennedi slope mod also.

What I don't understand is that all the other networks including Monorail work as advertised. So I'm at this point clueless.

mgb204

Just to chime in here, use of the Alternate El-Rail mod itself does not prevent a tunnel from appearing. If El-Rail supports tunnels, then those tunnels will appear with any El-Rail override mods, such as the alternate version in NAM. If such a mod didn't have it's own custom tunnels, you'd see the Maxis default instead.

The long and short of this problem is that tunnels are not the best-supported item in the game. Many networks seem to have tunnels, but if you see the black square, that doesn't simply mean the models are missing. Usually that also means the code for a functioning tunnel is missing too. By and large here is a list of networks with tunnel support, which will never change, since we can't add or fix them:

• Road
  • Avenue
  • MHY L0 & L2
  • Rail
  • Monorail

When considering override networks, you must think about the base network being overridden. For example, if you have the Maxis Highway Override installed, because that's based on MHY, which has tunnel support, this mod can support tunnels. Whereas RHW, which is based on the unused DirtRoad network, can't support tunnels.

I've just tested in the vanilla game, but no tunnels exist for El-Rail, which is pretty much what I expected to see. Of course, such problems have brought about creative solutions over the years. We have FLUPs portals, NETWORK->Subway transition lots and other such useful mods to help get around the game's limitations. In the case of El-Rail, I'd use an On-Slope transition to GLR and then connect into this tunnel lot from Morifari.

bradf_50

Quote from: mgb204 on December 13, 2016, 09:09:44 PM
Just to chime in here, use of the Alternate El-Rail mod itself does not prevent a tunnel from appearing. If El-Rail supports tunnels, then those tunnels will appear with any El-Rail override mods, such as the alternate version in NAM. If such a mod didn't have it's own custom tunnels, you'd see the Maxis default instead.

The long and short of this problem is that tunnels are not the best-supported item in the game. Many networks seem to have tunnels, but if you see the black square, that doesn't simply mean the models are missing. Usually that also means the code for a functioning tunnel is missing too. By and large here is a list of networks with tunnel support, which will never change, since we can't add or fix them:

• Road
  • Avenue
  • MHY L0 & L2
  • Rail
  • Monorail

When considering override networks, you must think about the base network being overridden. For example, if you have the Maxis Highway Override installed, because that's based on MHY, which has tunnel support, this mod can support tunnels. Whereas RHW, which is based on the unused DirtRoad network, can't support tunnels.

I've just tested in the vanilla game, but no tunnels exist for El-Rail, which is pretty much what I expected to see. Of course, such problems have brought about creative solutions over the years. We have FLUPs portals, NETWORK->Subway transition lots and other such useful mods to help get around the game's limitations. In the case of El-Rail, I'd use an On-Slope transition to GLR and then connect into this tunnel lot from Morifari.

Thanks! Now we know for sure now. It was not looking good anyway. I'll check out that lot and transition and see how it looks.

Andreas

I didn't check things in my game, but yeah, now that mgb204 mentions it, el-rail never supported tunnels in the first place, unlike monorail. The aforementioned "tunnel lot" should do the trick, though, it's basically the same thing as the in-game el-rail-to-subway converter. :)
Andreas

APSMS

Funny thing, I didn't remember either; I do remember that I thought there was an El-Rail to Subway hillside lot (recalling that El-rail lacks subways, my use of this lot suddenly makes sense). I could be mistaking it for a monorail version, though. My memory is fuzzy and I haven't properly played the game in a while.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

mgb204

Monorail does support tunnels, I wonder if they changed their mind over the EL-Rail, figuring it can connect to subway, so it's not so important? Shame though more networks don't support proper tunnels, it one of those very inflexible parts of the game :(.

bradf_50

Quote from: mgb204 on December 14, 2016, 09:59:02 PM
Monorail does support tunnels, I wonder if they changed their mind over the EL-Rail, figuring it can connect to subway, so it's not so important? Shame though more networks don't support proper tunnels, it one of those very inflexible parts of the game :(.

Agreed it's a shame they didn't make el-rail tunnels. But I guess If I think about it BART in the SF/Bay Area doesn't go elevated when a hill shows up they transitioned it to subway. Most of Oakland and SF stations are underground/subway. Then it transitions back up to Elevated. So I guess that makes sense, just doesn't make much sense for no tunnels for El-Rail. Oh well I may either transition to subway then go through the hills and transition back. I would just go full subway and skip El-Rail but then it wouldn't be as realistic as I would prefer.

Thanks you guys for the info! At least now I won't waste anymore time with it.

Dacki1990

Hello guys, I use Gobias "Berner Oberland Texture Mod". Now my problem is this, unfortunately I can not use the "Diagonal Jagged Edges Mod". What options do I have to make it usable? Can I solve the problem myself, or does it need deeper knowledge? If I can adjust the mod myself, is there a manual?

mgb204

As I think you've figured out, because such settings are part of the same exemplar/file, only one such file can be loaded. All this means is that rather than having multiple files, you must take the "master" file and edit some values, in effect merging the properties of both files into one.

There is an excellent guide here on modifying the Terrain properties, which includes step-by-step instructions for editing the DJEM settings.