• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

DAMN Manager

Started by Yild, November 11, 2012, 01:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yild

I want to introduce my first creation for the fans of SimCity 4.

DAMN Manager is an alternative to the commonly used (I hope  :) ) program SSPTool and DAMN Plugin by Stefan Wertich (stefan79).

It is a tool for creating files for plugin Daeleys Advanced Menu Navigator.

The program to use is very similar to its original, has some new features: adding the original lots of Sim City, menu items can be created automatically using custom templates and a few minor additions.

Main form:

Lots list filter activated:

Simcity 4 Lots list:

Menu items template editor:

Menu item lot info insert popup menu:

To not bore you any longer, I invite you to download the program, all (or almost all) the information can be found in the help files included with the program.

Any comments are welcome, especially those critical;)

If you have any problems with specific plugins, give me it's name and a link where to download the plugin.
The program includes the language files in English and Polish (polski).

You can download Manager from STEX.

ps. Please forgive me if the English language version contains errors. If (dare I say when) some will see (help file or user interface), please let us know.
DAMN Manager download: at LEX at STEX
DAMN Manager support thread: at SC4Dev

DemDude1

I posted in replies over in simtropolis but when i activate the exe it says something like language packs not found, do i have to extract everything into a folder before i use the exe?

Yild

yes, whole damnmanager folder must be extracted, folder structur must be same as in zip file

DemDude1

Thanks Yild, i got it working now I was having a brain fart or something lol.

xannepan

&apls &apls
I didn't have the time to test it yet... But congratulations on this great and useful achievement!

P3CTankman

Stumbled upon this while lurking the forums and downloaded it.  I have to say that there is a good improvement over the SSP version.

There are however 2 issues.

1) After editing a menu file and accepting the changes the selection menu scrolls back up to the top.  Please fix this as I always loose my place.

2) More of a completeness issue but the readme needs some FAQ even if nobody has asked.  Questions such as "Does this program hide files".

Other than that it's great.  Unlike the SSP tool it doesn't crash while loading files.  Also its easier to manage hiding files than SSP.  I like that they are named after the DAMN location.
The only solution to failure is to restart and make another attempt.
If failure strikes again, whack your computer with a large hammer.

Yild

Quote from: P3CTankman on November 15, 2012, 12:05:57 PM
There are however 2 issues.

1) After editing a menu file and accepting the changes the selection menu scrolls back up to the top.  Please fix this as I always loose my place.

2) More of a completeness issue but the readme needs some FAQ even if nobody has asked.  Questions such as "Does this program hide files".

Thanks for your feedback :)

ad 1: it's probably on my "to do", will be done (at the weekend)

ad 2: it can be done, pain is to come up with suitable content ;)

P3CTankman

Well theres the one in my first post.  Theres also this...

Quote from: DemDude1 on November 11, 2012, 02:29:49 PM
...but when i activate the exe it says something like language packs not found, do i have to extract everything into a folder before i use the exe?

"How do you unhide the lots" - This is due to the SSP version not unhiding the lots within the interface.
"The DAMN window is too big.  How do I shrink it?" - Had this issue but I learned for myself.

Basically put anything that is inferred but not directly stated in the readme.  You can also put things that people may have trouble doing.

EDIT: Moar Suggestions

After fiddling with the program a bit more I have some more things to point out.

The program seems to be not able to grab descriptions that are linked to external exemplars.  Might need fixing.

When you import a menu it imports it as the root menu within the root menu (Rootception!).  Most likely already on the ToDo list.

Yild

Quote from: P3CTankman on November 15, 2012, 02:36:32 PM
The program seems to be not able to grab descriptions that are linked to external exemplars.  Might need fixing.

manager search for lots only in ".sc4lot" and ".dat" files (as in original SSPtool), ".sc4desc" files are ignored, normally sc4desc should (?) have lot descriptions like props, foundations, etc (I'm not a BATer so correct me if I'm wrong).

If lot is divided into more files and those files are in subfolders you should use 'scan with subfolders' to search all data.

Give me example with this problem, link to the plugin would be great (and TGI if there is more than one lot).

Quote from: P3CTankman on November 15, 2012, 02:36:32 PM
When you import a menu it imports it as the root menu within the root menu (Rootception!).  Most likely already on the ToDo list.

golden rule of programmers... never test it yourself ;)

ivo_su

I have a problem with working with DAMN manager. I get to a certain place, but instead there appears to me that

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28205-damn-manager/#

With me out somehow incomplete and unfinished like this

Yild

check simcity 4 shortcut property "Start in" - it can contain "\Apps" in path, it should point to root folder of the simcity installation ie c:\programs files (x86)\Maxis\Simcity 4\

ivo_su

I have no such directory "... \ Maxis \ Simcity 4 \" in my program files.
If you build it will fix the problem and how.

This I have in my shortcut Start in: D:\GAMES\Sim\Apps

ivo_su

So thanks to you and io_bg I discovered how to fix this bug. I really only had to delete / Apps from my shortcut and now everything is fine.
I do have one question. I have two folders with plugins, one is located in My Documents and the other is in D: \ GAMES \ Sim \ Plugins. The problem is that when I open DAMN manager I see only lots that are in C: \ Users \ Super Ivo \ Desktop \ Documents \ SimCity 4 \ Plugins.
How can I do so that the handle and the other lots.

jdenm8

That's probably intentional because stuff (Except the DAMN itself) isn't meant to go into the root plugins folder.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Yild

Quote from: ivo_su on November 17, 2012, 05:54:45 AM
So thanks to you and io_bg I discovered how to fix this bug. I really only had to delete / Apps from my shortcut and now everything is fine.

I told you... ;)

Quote from: ivo_su on November 17, 2012, 05:54:45 AM
I do have one question. I have two folders with plugins, one is located in My Documents and the other is in D: \ GAMES \ Sim \ Plugins. The problem is that when I open DAMN manager I see only lots that are in C: \ Users \ Super Ivo \ Desktop \ Documents \ SimCity 4 \ Plugins.
How can I do so that the handle and the other lots.

It's by design, SimCity use ONLY plugins from My documents\Plugins  and \SimCity 4\Plugins (installation folder), meaning that SimCity know nothing about your "D: \ GAMES \ Sim \ Plugins" and so my program, you should move temporally plugins from this folder into My documents\Plugins to be able to create menu for those files.

Edit: updated version uploaded on STEX.

P3CTankman

The STEX has 2 files with the exact same file size...

Are they both the same O_o

Forgot to mention one other suggestion...

The new window size looks somewhat strange on my display.  There should be a option to keep the default size.

Yild

Quote from: P3CTankman on November 17, 2012, 03:30:39 PM
Are they both the same O_o

actually they are not :P
files order is date ascending (top - old, bottom - new).
as I stated at stex - next time I will add ver number to a file name ;)

Quote from: P3CTankman on November 17, 2012, 03:30:39 PM
The new window size looks somewhat strange on my display.  There should be a option to keep the default size.

"new window" ? main window size are saved between sessions, to restore default size bring system menu and select "restore..." (left top window icon "menu")

ivo_su

In fact, unbeknownst to me how io_bg uspyalda is made ​​so that the program can detect its plugins from D: to handle the entire range of lots. This is strange because you say that the program can see only those My Documents folder

io_bg

Quote from: Yild on November 17, 2012, 07:19:38 AMIt's by design, SimCity use ONLY plugins from My documents\Plugins  and \SimCity 4\Plugins (installation folder), meaning that SimCity know nothing about your "D: \ GAMES \ Sim \ Plugins" and so my program, you should move temporally plugins from this folder into My documents\Plugins to be able to create menu for those files.
Hmm, all my plugins are in D:\ and the program finds them. So does Simcity :)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Jack_wilds

I've been using this and for the most part it good...  :thumbsup:

however  &mmm, SFBT [mainly the cemetery/ church set]... for some reason it has 'hidden' my SFBT cemeteries/churches, they are 'plopped' and then the game crashes, plus when trying to restore to normal with the cemetery/church set back in menu, it is no where to be found...

as the items from AC and SCAG also don't 'damn-up' as its results are flaky, spotty for the airport stuff and then, concerning Paeng items,namely the concrete grunge sets/series as it can't find the icons and posts a 'generic' "no icon"... it also happens to a few of Pegs things and WMPmurimk things too...  ???

thought it might be a useful notes...  :)