• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Greenacre

Started by threestooges, December 24, 2008, 03:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwakelaar

What a nice looking update, you have surely mastered the technique of making pleasing looking meadows. The concert venue is a nice touch to this update.

Jmouse

Revisiting the ski resort in the springtime is a great idea, Matt! The hilly terrain was interesting during the winter, but now we can see the finer details of this lovely  landscape! It's especially interesting to see how many of the hiking trails follow much the same paths as the lifts.

You've done a good job laying out those pathways, too. I've not fooled around with them much yet, but I'll get my chance to play with them one of these days. All in all, another fine update – a good idea carried out with an eye for colorful detail!

Oh, glad to see
you found those roads! ;)

Later...
Joan

CasperVg

Whew, Matt, you've truly outdone yourself. Your previous work was amazing already, but this sets a new standard for all MDs.. The summertime ski venue looks absolutely fabulous: I've got no words to describe it's beauty. Hope to see a new update soon!
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

canyonjumper

Wow. Matt, this looks amazing! Your meadows look awesome and the concert venue is great!

-Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

threestooges

-Bernhard (Nardo69): Glad you enjoyed the fields. I have never been to the Alps, but I hear they are amazing. Hopefully one of these days I'll get over there. As for the avalanches, yes, that is a problem area. There is a reason that run is a black diamond run on the map. Fortunately anything that does slide tends to go down the hill instead of toward the lift supports.

-girafe: I hope you do. I've seen some previews of your work that look exceptional. When you have something ready I'd love to see it, and perhaps the resort may be interested in expanding. Glad you enjoyed.

-marsh: Welcome to Greenacre, and yes, ski resorts take on a life of their own in spring. Summertime at a number of resorts can be a great source of hiking and mountain biking actually. Former ski trails are wide open for a good ride. It's exhausting though, especially considering it's all at altitude where the air is thinner. Glad you enjoyed.

-Robin (Rooker1): Robin... in Mind Scape... with farms? It can't be. I'll have to swing by and take a look at what's going on there. I'm always happy to provide some thoughts. If you see me online, feel free to strike up a conversation there, but perhaps I can come up with a bit about how I do farms. However, if you'd like to see some excellent samples of farms, I'm pretty sure you know about Tales at Tea Time but battlecat has also been doing some excellent work in Adara. He reminds me a lot of Darmok's work in Anduin Valley Revisted (which provided quite a bit of inspiration for my style). Also, Some of the farmland of Digby by lewellan222 from way back in Simtropolis days had some fine bits. He worked well with the game back then. It all depends on the look you're going for.

The farm in the first picture is not mine. It's actually a custom work by Victory from way back in the day (Jul 22 2003). It can be found here at Simtropolis. It's old, but it works. One of the benefits of never cleaning your plugins folder I guess, heh heh. Always good to see you here.

-kwakelaar: Thank you very much, and welcome to Greenacre! You can thank Barby for the concert venue. I told her I just wanted a little something for the base of the hill (cement platform, folding chairs) and she came up with an excellent fit for the area. I've seen areas around here that can get like this in the spring time. Next time they bloom, I really ought to try to get some pictures. Granted, it's on a much smaller scale around here, but the colors are still as impressive. Thanks for stopping by.

-Joan (Jmouse): Thanks Joan! I've actually been mountain biking at Mammoth, CA one summer which is what partly inspired the idea for the trails. Some of them were rather steep and just dove down the hill, others were more meandering, and I was hoping to capture that here. Actually, since you got to take the lift up, the steeper hills were better (they weren't those cross-country trails that also went up) and it's a plus when you've been used to sea level air and are suddenly at several thousand feet trying to pedal. The trails are actually rather easy to lay, just click, hold, and remember to move your mouse slowly along the intended path. They should fill in with minimal problems. Always good to see you here Joan.

-Casper (caspervg): That's quite a compliment Casper. Thanks! I may try to expand in the future, so hopefully I can keep up the standard if I do. Always good to see you around here. Hope school's not keeping you too busy.

-Jordan (canyonjumper): Thanks Jordan. It was fun to put together. Perhaps  I'll expand on the area at some point in the future.

From the spring thaw, into the early days of summer. This is the time when the thoughts of many turn to the end of school. For some it's the summer, for others, it means graduation. Today, we're going to look at one of Greenacre's centers of higher learning:

Cliffton University:

There are two common mistakes made about the school. First, people often attribute its name to the fact that it is just across the street from the incredibly steep cliff you can see so clearly in the regional map. It is instead named for James J. Cliffton, the founder of the univeristy. When asked by the local paper if people might confuse it with the presence of the nearby cliff he was heard to remark "What cliff?" Those almost proved to be his famous last words as he walked the grounds with the reporter, but fortunately he was able to stop in time. Actually, the name and proximity of the university to the cliff lead to the school's slogan "Lowest Dropout Rate, Highest Drop."

The other common mistake is the year of the university's founding. Here, you can see the main academic building of the university. 1884, contrary to common belief, is not the date of the university's founding, it's actually the street address. Although the street that runs in front of it is now Cliffton Dr. it used to be part of the avenue that runs past the campus. As a result, it retained its original number even after the road was rerouted.

As you can see, it gets a bit crowded here around class. Due to the smaller size of the campus and the fact that it's smack in the middle of some higher density residential areas, there are a fair number of students who commute to school. It can lead to a bit of a jam getting out of the parking lot.

Across the street from the parking lot is the gym and student union (also read as bookstore and cafeteria). There's a fairly active group of clubs on campus. Recently one of the theatre groups staged a guerilla acting scene where they pranked a tour group. The office of admission was less than pleased, the tour guide was confused, the parents laughed about it later, and it got several of the students to apply. The jury is still out on whether they'll be permitted to do it again. Behind the Student Union is an open sports field (currently set up for the soccer season) and some tennis courts behind it.

For those who come from farther away, or just don't want to deal with the driver, there are several dormitories available for students. There's also a basketball court tucked into the trees nearby, and a small chapel for those who are looking for a quiet place. Services are open to the public.

This bulletin board has an interesting history. It tends to continue to build up notices and advertisments throughout the year, most of which have expired. It's become an unofficial campus tradition to set fire to it near the end of each semester. Fortunately the university is now aniticpating this and has a fire crew on standby should things get out of hand.

At the end of the school year here, the lots begin to empty out though as residents move out, and the summer session begins to pick up. There are also summer camps for the kids that take place at the Student Union, so even during summer, there's always a little activity here. Fortunately the campers have not started to ignite the bulletin board yet.

As always, thoughts are appreciated.
-Matt

Diggis

Ahh, old 'Cliffy' Clifton.  Spent too much time with his nose in a book to stop and look around him.

Great Uni Matt, love the story too.  :thumbsup:

rooker1

Hey Matt,
First things, thanks for the birthday wishes.
Next....great update.  I'm kind of lazy when it comes to making nice university layouts.  I usually just plop down the availiable one shot ones.  But after seeing yours, I think I may have to give it a try.  Don't get me wrong though, I have always thought that Jon's university sets were awesome.
As for my farming phase....I don't think it's last much longer.  I am getting very anxious to get to work on the center large tile and see how this megatropolis will grow now with the farming communities out of the way.  I have enjoyed making these communities but I think I enjoy more making dirty industrial cities.

Too bad about James J. Cliffton, sound like a good guy, but a little absent minded.  And the founded/street number fact is funny, I liked that one.

I say this often....but it is always a pleasure to stop by your MD.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

RickD

Quote"Lowest Dropout Rate, Highest Drop."

:D
Excellent university. And I love the pics of the ski resort in spring time from the previous update.  &apls
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

CasperVg

Nice one again, Matt! That looks like an expensive private university you have there.. any estimates on how much one year of education would cost there? Love the explanation for the name and 1884 too: very creative  :P
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Jmouse

Building a campus using Jon's university set is something I've wanted to do for a long time. Your arrangement is inspiring, especially with all the trees. I'd hate to have to mow the campus grounds, though!

I think maybe somebody's imagination ran away with them this time. James Clifton and the cliff? Lowest dropout rate, highest drop? A street address carved in stone and a burning bulletin board? Matt, I know your graduation is imminent and the bar exam looms in the near future. You've hit the books a bit too hard lately, though. If things keep going on like this, every building on campus will house a law library and Quantitative Methods in Finance will be a required course. :o

Another nice update. :) The campus layout is good, and it looks like a pleasant place for a Sunday afternoon stroll.

Later...
Joan

canyonjumper

Wow Matt! Great uni! I really liked the little facts, like the name and the bulletin board ;D

-Jordan :thumbsup:

kwakelaar

Nice work on your university, and as there are very few cliffs around here, hopefully not my last words in this MD. :)

threestooges

My, how time flies sometimes. As some of you know, I've been a bit busy this summer, but fortunately most of that work will be taken care of here shortly and the regular (meaning more than once a month) updates will return. I did however want to do some

Replies:

-Shaun (Diggis): Glad you enjoyed the story. Couldn't have done it without your help there.

-Robin (rooker1): You may claim you're lazy when it comes to universities, but you more than make up for it in your terraforming. You've been doing some great stuff lately in Mind Scape (shameless plug) and it will be interesting to see you get back to your industry again, but I do like these rural updates. As for the number story and things like that, it's amazing how often places have stories like that behind them.

-RickD: Glad you enjoyed, and welcome to Greenacre!

-Casper (CasperVg): Always good to see you here Casper. Not sure offhand what the tuition is, but I hear they're planning to expand the campus so it will likely be going up a bit. I'll check in with them later and let you know.

-Joan (Jmouse): I'd love to see what you could do with his sets. They're an excellent collection, and in your hands I'm sure they'd shine. As for lawncare, just hop on the riding mower, put on some music for the headphones, and try not to run over any books left on the lawn by a sunbather who just stepped back inside. As for the imagination running away, Shaun is partly to thank for it, but you know the saying: "Work hard, play hard." The bulletin board story was actually derived from something from my undergrad too. I'll keep the law library in mind and suggest it to them for their expansion. Quantitative Methods is already a requirement for the business school. Glad you enjoyed.

-Jordan (canyonjumper): Glad you enjoyed. The story was a fun one to write. The bulletin board story was actually derived from something from my undergrad.

-kwakelaar: Good to see you again, and thanks. Hopefully it won't be your last word here indeed. Hopefully I'll have something to show here soon too.

Thanks again to everyone who has stopped by to comment. I'll have something of substance up in August, but until then I found this one from a little while back. Haven't actually seen a train across the route yet, but it's scenic sure enough.

-Matt

Jmouse

Nice scene – the simplicity is refreshing, but there's a lot of interesting detail work here, too.

I'm sure I join the many other fans of Greenacre in wishing you all the best on the bar exam. And you know we'll be here for you whenever you're able to pick up where you left off.

Later...

Joan

rooker1

Hey Matt,

Really nice to hear from you.
You know....sometimes it is the simply pictures that are just as eye catching as the ones packed with details and this is one of those times.  Although it would have been pretty cool if you had have caught a frieght train on that line.
BTW, thanks for the plug.  ;)

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Battlecat

That's a fantastic little shot there, always nice to see your work! 

canyonjumper

Nice shot there Matt!

-Jordan  :thumbsup:

Schulmanator

Great stuff... you have some very nice pix here. And those fall trees are making me wish for cooler weather.  :thumbsup:
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

threestooges

Replies:

Joan (Jmouse): Thanks for the thoughts Joan. The bar is done, and I'm getting back into the swing of things. Hope all is well with you, and I hope this was worth the wait.

Robin (rooker1): Yeah, a train would've looks good rolling through there, but that line is more for show at the moment. In a way, I almost like the quiet feeling of it the way it is. I agree, some of the simpler pictures can be some of the better ones.

Battlecat: Glad you enjoyed. Always good to see you here.

Jordan (canyonjumper):Thanks Jordan.

Schulmanator: Cooler weather is on its way soon enough. Not sure if there's going to be any seen in Greenacre for a little while, but you can always head back a few pages to the Snow Cloud ski resort and the surrounding area if you're looking for something to cool off with.

As summer is drawing to a close and fall begins to approach, I figured we should take advantage of the weather and go do some golfing.

A few visits back we paid a visit to the local ski resort in the area. With the tourists arriving in the summer months for the wildflower season, the surrounding area has begun to develop. This also includes a new golf course. It's only 9 holes, but it's a start.

Coming up the gravel driveway, guests are greeted by a wild growing area dotted with local wildflowers as they make their way up to the clubhouse.

Once at the rustic building, golfers can take a few practice swings and putts on the practice greens before heading out.for a round.

Hole one starts things off fairly easily. Long, but straight, with ample aspens flanking the right to deter any errant shots (must to the delight of the residents across the street, and drivers. It doesn't take a keen eye to see the dents and dings on the back sides of the buildings just off the fairway.

Hole 2 takes the unsuspecting golfer by surprise. From long and straight, it's now short, crowded by trees and water separates the tee and the green. It's a par 3, but it's a tough par.

Hole 3 eases off a bit. It's back to a par 4 again with a dogleg right. Water is there to try to dissuade those who try to go for the bunkered green.

Hole 4 lets golfers unwind. Digging deeper back into the woods with a long par 5. Take some time to enjoy the scent of pollen in the air, and perhaps catch sight of some wildlife.

Welcome to hole 5. One of two similar holes on the course. The ponds here are popular with birds. Tip for the wise though, if you hit your ball into a flock of Canadian Geese, it might be worth it to take a drop rather than try to get it back. Those things can be mean.

Hole 6 is yet another dogleg right and was designed to see if players learned anything from their previous experience on the hole before. It's no less difficult in terms of the terrain, but its handicap is greatly reduced due to its position.

Hole 7 marks the beginning of the run back to the clubhouse. It's a wide open par 5 with several bunkers. A long drive can set up a good birdie chance.

The trees begin to creep back in here again along the right makes this longer par 4 a tricky one to make. Keep it out of the trees and you have a chance.

Hole 9 brings golfers right back to the clubhouse. The trees open up, and the pond halfway down the fairway can be carried, but the density of the bunkers around the green makes a lay up a safer shot. The panoramic view down the hill from the green makes this a fine finishing hole.

Those looking for a more adventurous round can make the loop again for a full 18. Those looking for a more adventurous lunch can hit the 10th Tee: the restaurant within the clubhouse. Sit out on the balcony and enjoy the views and critique the golfers teeing off. The buffalo burgers are great.

The developing town nearby has plenty of space left, but the locals like it that way. It's a quiet town with many people working either at the ski resort, or locally. A number of the houses are rented for the ski season, but year round occupancy is becoming more common.

Despite sidewalks being present, people find it easier to cut across the vacant lots to save time, and also stay in touch with nature. Paths have been worn across the well traveled routes.

You can see it quite well here, as the paths help link neighbors together, keeping the sense of community. It's unlikely that development will overtake the area. Worst comes to worst, it seems likely the residents would buy up the land to keep their space.

Thanks for stopping by and, as always, looking forward to what you think.

TheTeaCat

Ooooh very nice indeed. &apls &apls

this is a well thought out course that I'm sure most people would like to play. Me....I'll find a nice "safe" seat in the clubhouse and sup some tea while I watch you chase a little white ball around for a while :D

It must have taken a while to make the course but the overall effect is worth it. 10/10

Haven't been here for a while but boy was it worth catching up. Hopefully it won't be so long till the next time;)

Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II