• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Greenacre

Started by threestooges, December 24, 2008, 03:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmouse

I agree, this is a good one, too! You have a nice combination of elements there. I've always liked those boardwalks and the wide choice of accessories. The park is a good addition to the surroundings, too, and the storefronts at the right center are a clever way to carry through the Sunday-afternoon-stroll atmosphere. With all that good stuff nearby, I'm sure property values will rise quickly and the neighborhoods will develop accordingly.

You're doing a fine job here...
Joan

bat

Congrats for your OSITM-award there! &apls :thumbsup:
And wonderful updates in the last time here... :thumbsup:
Looking forward to more... ;)

rooker1

Hello Matt,

I want you as Mayor of Greenacre to take this petition seriously.  I have got alot of suport and plan to take this as high as I can.

Robin  ;)
Call me Robin, please.

threestooges

Replies
-Pat: There's nothing to apologize for my friend. I'm glad you're enjoying the updates so far. As for the PW v. TPW thing in that pic. I did try it with TPW, but it lost the effect. It looked like a shallow little stream and didn't quite mesh with the force the waterfall seems to be generating. There will be places where TPW will be used though (and in some cases both).

-Joan (Jmouse): I was trying to get something simple, yet attractive in that pic, and from the sound of it, I may have done it. You are right about the property values and development though... as I was leaving the area, work looked like it was beginning on a number of the stores. After this promotion thingy is over, we'll have to swing back and take a look.

-bat: Thank you very much. Always good to hear from you here.

-Robin (rooker1): Well, I'm not actually mayor of Greenacre, or even of Westport, but I will route it to the proper people who will review it in due course. I understand your concerns regarding the properties and would hate to see anything happen to contaminate the beach there. Most of it seems to be manufacturing though. At any rate, it may take them a couple of days to get back to you on the matter. I hope that's ok. I am going to have a chat with the postal service... I'm not sure what happened to that letter, but I hope it wasn't during transit.

So you would think I had a pre-planned route for this photo trip wouldn't you... nah. Incidentally, if you do see any areas on the map you'd like to visit, feel free to ask. I'm sure a good pic can be found somewhere around there. I know some interest has been expressed in the islands so we'll certainly take a few there. Today however we're going to loop back toward Fergus Coast (4). The area as a whole is divded into two areas: Fergus Coast and Upper Fergus Coast (real original eh?) and they're under the same government, they just haven't quite grown together yet.

Now Upper Fergus Coast is a fine little art community and a sleepy little area. Part of the draw to the town is the historic station. It's modelled in the greek-revival style and was built when steam trains still ran the line regularly. Though I've yet to see one, people say that if you listen closely on quiet nights, over the sound of the waves breaking on the shore, you can still hear the chugging sound down along the tracks. I'm not so sure about it though. I would love to see a good steam train run the lines again though. Either way, the story has provided fodder for rail fans and ghost fans alike who come to spend the day here hoping to catch a glimpse (or sound) of the train.

rooker1

Hey Matt,

I too hope nothing happened to the letter during transit.  ::)  ;)

Great picture, I just wish there was no palm trees in it.  &mmm I hate Maxis palm trees, especially in a nice deciduous setting.  Other than that I like this picture.
Seeya later,
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Battlecat

That's a neat little community there!  I think I've driven through a place that looks exactly like it up in Northern British Columbia except without the cobblestone roads and palm trees. 

Simpson

Incredible work there, your region is looking super my friend.   &apls
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

art128

I love that picture there Matt, I really like the walkways  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

threestooges

Replies:
-Robin (rooker1): Nope, the letter arrived safely as far as I'm aware. I would expect a response in a few days or so. They're usually pretty quick about getting back to people over there. As for the palm trees in Upper Fergus Coast there... they were planted by the owner of the office building there... wanted it to look 'more like Rodeo Drive' or something. Seems the locals told him he'd need more than two, and that they didn't match. We'll see what he does.

-Battlecat: Welcome to Greenacre. Glad to hear it was able to bring up some memories there. I hadn't actually based it on any area in particular, but I know there are a bunch of old stations out there. I have been to BC once before, but not to the northern part. Nice place as I recall. Hope to see you around again.

-Simpson: Welcome to Greenacre and thank you. It's developing slowly but surely, and there is plenty more to see.

-Arthur (art128): Thanks Art. I liked playing around with the SFBT lots I used there, and had to find a good way to connect them. Darmok's rural paths fit that role nicely.

Still bouncing around the islands without actually going around them yet. Today's pic comes from the industial port of Mustang Harbor (5). It's a fairly dense town on the waterfront. Some nice spots, some aren't so nice, but it's all-in-all a productive little city.

Links to 1400x800 resolution as will the rest of these maps for this OSITM round.

The factories at the harbor are a mix of manufacturing and processing. Some of them produce and process goods for export, but some handle the incoming cargo, such as from local fishing boats. This section is more of the manufacturing quarter, but the railyard is a hold over from the fishing days. It still gets the job done and doesn't seem to show any signs of modernizing the facilities, at least not yet.

rooker1

Ohhh.....dirty, dirty.   

Hey Matt,

Good to hear that the letter arrived okay and about the palm trees.  ;)  ()stsfd() 
I'm really glad to see some residential houses up against the industrial area.  Would be really cool if they were all low wealth row homes.  Something from marcszar (Baltimore Duplex Rowhouses or Troy Rowhouses) or JBSimio (The SHUR Project Beginnings or SHUR Brownstone Set).  Also, I figure in an area like this. of low wealth and the properties not being worth very much, maybe the road should be that red SAM texture.  ::)  The little train yard looks very well placed and fitting for this area....it is the one by NCD, right?  Last but not the least, those two pair of industrial buildings, maybe one pair could be demolished for something different.
Other than all nit picking, I think everything else is great.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Simpson

Wow the second picture is fantastic my friend
And as well the region picture is super  :o

I'm looking forward to the next update  :)
Take care,

David
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

bat

The region overview is wonderful! It looks really beautiful! And wonderful two pictures of your city!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Battlecat

That's quite nice looking for a dirty industrial area.  It's dirty as one would expect, but there's just enough green to offset that nicely.  I really like how the pathway there acts as a buffer between industry and residential.  It's a nice touch. 

dsrwhat316

Nice touch with the grimy water. Is that a water mod or photoshopped? The surrounding factories and foundries fit in good, as well. Great work, Matt!

~ Dan
Custom Lotting at its Finest:

Last updated: 2/9- I'm Back! +  A Teaser (of course...)

Pat

Hey Matt loved the last two pics here and they have a certain class about them for sure, but what I dont know??? Its good though that much I truly do know!! Far as your response to me from the last time I cant wait to see more use of the TPW and PW... I am sorry to hear that the TPW didnt work out there in that stream and I can so agree that the good ole PW still has it wonders to behold for sure....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

Hi, Matt!

Please forgive me from being absent from Greenacre for so long, my friend! There's no excuse for it and I do apologize.

Many congratulations on your trip to OSITM--it could not have happened to a more fitting MD! Things are certainly coming along swimmingly, too! I love your region views so much--the island looks just fantastic--and the close shots of the different areas are even more of treat!

Keep up the good work here, my friend, and I will do my best to make sure that I'm not away for such a long time again!

Dustin

threestooges

Replies:
-Robin (rooker1): Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. The freight station is by northcountrydude, and he does some fine rail work. I have a few brownstones by JBSimio, and they could probably stand to make their way in there. Time will tell. I got a letter today that you might be interested in. I like the two brown buildings, but I can see what you mean about the larger ones (with the smoke stacks). One's a cannery, and the other, well not sure what it is. I'm actually surprised you noticed the brick streets (built before the SAM), but good eye.

-Simpson: Glad you're enjoying, and thanks. Hopefully you'll enjoy today's pic too.

-bat: Thanks bat. Always good to see you around here.

-Battlecat: Thanks. There aren't many areas I have seen that don't have some form of plant life, and I like how it turned out here. A road and a retaining wall put the residential area a bit above the port level. Better views, and it acts as a nice separation between areas like you mentioned.

-Dan (dsrwhat316): There is a water mod (Hawaiian Holiday by Peg) and c.p.'s Italia terrain mod, but there is no photoshopping in the pic. Best I can tell, what you are seeing is the terrain underwater with a little plop flora here and there.

-Pat: Glad you like them, even if oyu might not be able to pick out why. PW and TPW will always have their place in my plugins folder. There will be more of it in the future.

-Dustin (thundercrack83): You're up early, but good to see you here nonetheless. There is nothing to apologize for though. Happy to see you. I tried to make a different area in each tile, even if it's the same basic concept (farm areas for example). Hope you enjoy the rest of what this month has in store.

We're going back to Shelter Island (the southern side) today and a nice marina (6).

It's mainly for locals, but even the average mariner who happens by here likes to stop in every once in a while. It doesn't have the same white sandy beaches as some other places, but it's still a popular place to spend the day.

Also, We have received a response from the Westport Office of Mayor and Council in regard to that petition I forwarded to them on Robin's behalf:

bat

That's a beautiful small port there! Nice work on that picture!
Looking forward to more... ;)

art128

Nice port there matt  &apls
and also the industrial sector looks great ! maybe if you use the curve of the FARR  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

threestooges

Replies:
-bat: Thank you very much. The area in general is one of my favorites.

-Arthur (art128): Thanks Art. I thought about the FARR S curve, but there are one or two tiles that don't like to develop on it and I wanted to get a denser feeling. Perhaps there are some industrial buildings out there than can be made to extend over the lot edge to fill the gap. Thanks for the thoughts.

Going around the southern side of the island for our seventh pic here. It's not of any particular city, but more of the greenery of Greenacre (7).

No towns today, but one of my favorite bridges along the Coastline route (that would be the rail line, not the road). One of these days I ought to dig up a map of the railroads aroudn the island. If you look closely, you can see the telephone line meandering alongside the road. Wildflowers dot the area along Firehouse Creek and its rapids, and the ocean breeze makes this a nice place for a drive or a ride on the train.