• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

interesting intersection

Started by GMT, October 25, 2012, 04:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GMT

so browsing the webs today I found this picture:

I wonder why nobody has thought of fancy intersections for roads/aves in sim city yet?
in real life, these would be too expensive and complex so probably only limited to very crowded intersections, but for sim city, I recon something like this would come in handy to ease traffic

... really, it is. I swear.

Paul 999

Not realistic, the ramps are to short. And it is to small, so the traffic go very slow and there will be a traffic jam at 'rush hour'. This expensive intersection have not more capacity than a regular intersection.

MandelSoft

And most of all: it's quite labour intensive to mod such fancy intersections that will only have a single use...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Wiimeiser

Not to mention possible deck-jumping...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

mike3775

That thing would be way to congested to work, even in real life.  The intersection would still require a traffic light to handle straight traffic

GMT

I don't see a need for a traffic light as, due to the bridging, no traffic cuts through the other. not even the straight traffic as it goes over/under the bridge in the center; after all, that's the point of this idea.

I also have a hard time understanding how an undisturbed-flow (speaking of traffic lights) can be as traffic-jamming as a traditional intersection.
I mean, this is basically the same setup many highway interchanges have and it works here aswell. ok it's obviously smaller in dimension, but not at all in functionality... to my eye at least.
just take a look at how slip-lanes put an ease at right turning traffic flow, this intersection here does somewhat play the thought a bit further.
of course it doesn't solve all problems but I still feel like it'll relax it a lot, given everything is scaled properly; it's obvious that this setup is too small, but then again, it's just showing a concept, not a blueprint, so a tidbit of correction to come to a realistic setup in terms of safety and architecture

... really, it is. I swear.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: GMT on October 26, 2012, 07:48:27 AM
I also have a hard time understanding how an undisturbed-flow (speaking of traffic lights) can be as traffic-jamming as a traditional intersection.

First of all,... 9Gag? Really...?

Second, when you break it down, the structure of that particular interchange piece boils down to this:

The Four-Level Stack, except more smaller and with the left-turn ramps on the left, when it's safer to have them on the right. When you shrink things down to that size, you also reduce its efficiency. You need a giant turn-radius to maintain some semblance of a high speed when turning.

Also, look at the turn markings. Left turn, straight, U-turn, and right turn. The only ones free of a traffic light are the left turns. The right turns need to yield, and then you have the thru and U-turn. If you really wanna be able to manage U-turns, you effectively turn that crossing into a suicidal deathtrap. U-turn traffic would need to negotiate with traffic coming in from the left. Even without a traffic light, thorough traffic may still have to put up with cars blocking the way because they're making a U-turn.

Also, I wouldn't trust a road that puts a downward-sloping ramp in the way; I mean, half of the lanes are obstructed, and you expect to maintain thorough traffic, especially if it's one lane of thorough traffic per direction? A real-life equivalent would pretty much put that crossing in an even worse state than it was previously in (even if it wasn't in a bad state already), and it would simply look visually unappealing to everyone walking by.

There is an issue of deck-jumping, but not in the sense that you'd expect for same-direction DDRHWs: If you have two lanes on one tile, but you elevate one lane and leave the other at ground level, traffic may still jump between decks.

And as already stated, it would be a single-use single-piece traffic piece that would take too much time to model and path, when it'd be more worth the while to make something that's modular (and much larger) instead.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

z

Simply put another way, you have six lanes of traffic coming in from each direction, yet only two of them go through.  As this applies to all directions, then if these roads carry any substantial traffic at all, you're going to have one awful traffic jam at that intersection.

In the main four lanes, it's even worse; only one of the four lanes can go through the intersection.

SimSome

Quote from: z on October 26, 2012, 02:12:01 PM
Simply put another way, you have six lanes of traffic coming in from each direction, yet only two of them go through.  As this applies to all directions, then if these roads carry any substantial traffic at all, you're going to have one awful traffic jam at that intersection.

In the main four lanes, it's even worse; only one of the four lanes can go through the intersection.
Not sure I get what you are saying here.

Firstly, I think this is quite unfeasible and seems like an american answer to roundabouts. (I keed)
It seems the image is far for perfect. But Lets try to re-draw it.

|  | |  ^^^   
                             V V V  | | |
                             R S L  L S R
                             |  | |  ^^^
                             V V V  | | |
<---R-Turn-ed <---                     <----R-Turn<------
<---Straight <----- Overpass here <----Straight <-----
<---L-Turn-ed <---                     <----L-Turn<------
-----> L-Turn---->                     ---> L-Turn-ed--->
-----> Straight---> Overpass here ---> Straight----->
-----> R-Turn---->                     ---> R-Turn-ed--->
                             |  | |  ^^^
                             V V V  | | |
                             R S L   L S R
                             | | |   ^^^
                             V V V  | | |

Left turn overpasses haven't been drawn obviously and the Right turns are just 90 degree free rights.

Confusing. But it seems that this could be easily applied to any number of lanes so long as the 4 incoming roads have the same of each of those lanes and the 4 outgoing roads perfectly compliment them as well. Perfect symmetry on like 4 planes is required.

EDIT: Im no expert but I'd say U turns would be a complication here and have not addressed them here. The Image has a dedicated U turn lane to the right of the overpass lanes. Dunno if that's ideal. No idea.