• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

superseed files

Started by mindaugas, August 19, 2010, 02:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mindaugas

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=8844.0

I took a look at the response there. Just to clarify, does this mean the files that show up as being superceeded are unnecessary and I shouldn't worry about them? Because it is a file that was already packed from another lot it was used in? Sorry, I don't even understand lots and bats. I have a lot of superseeded files ()sad()

joshriddle577

I got plenty of superceeded files and I just let it go, and it didn't do any harm whatsoever. You should be fine.

SC4BOY

Firstoff, what they are: They are content that datpacker finds that has already been "loaded" in previous scanning. In reality that should be "supercede" but it was never corrected.. the program was written by a Frenchman *thank's Wou!* so English is not his native language.

A well-constructed SC4 installation should have very few "superseed" files.  It probably doesn't matter that you have those.. but what datpacker does is *replace* the previously loaded content with the *new* content. Datpacker warns you of this because it has no ability to say the "new" content is "better" than the earlier, only that it is being replaced.

When I put datpacker in initially, I tracked down all my "superseed" files and eliminated duplicates unless I knew they were there for a specific reason, so I have only about 5 of those in my plugins of about 5GB.

For practicle purposes, I'd say if you don't see a problem in your game play, don't worry about it

Grneyes

Wasn't there a program (not Cleanitol) that got rid of the duplicates?

SC4BOY

If you search the thread for Datpacker support for "duplicate" you will find several references. This is "old history" and has been hashed through many times. Reading the support thread will give you more info and background, including "dup searchers".