• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BAT Showcase

Started by mattb325, February 01, 2007, 04:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune

Its perfect for water-y regions. I know of a small-ish canadian city that has something like this over a lake.
~ NAM Team Member

Andreas

That looks pretty unique alright! Maybe use a less distinctive texture for the foundation, as it "dwarfs" the building a bit. The odd shape of the building itself is a great eye-catcher for sure, though.
Andreas

belfastsocrates

Quote from: mattb325 on May 12, 2018, 03:36:24 PM

Any interest for this sort of thing?

Absolutely!

This will look lovely as part of my Passau Island area :D
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Couchpotato

Do you take request Matt?   :)      Really great to see so many people still creating for the game.

No one has done Bass Hall in Austin and it would look really good in SC4

mattb325

Thanks guys...the reason I ask is because as an over-hanging prop, night-lites won't work...(maybe it can be just a lunch-time venue  ;D)

@couchpotato....how about an inspired by?

The details on this one (especially those heraldic angels) are at best a bit too methodist - dare I say a bit too LDS - for my taste (sorry if that offends people out there)....but other than that, the building is certainly eclectic enough  $%Grinno$%. The architect says its in the European style. Lol  :P

belfastsocrates

^^

I really like it.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Simmer2

Hi Matt.

I'm curious now. I'm going to do some experimenting with overhanging night lights.
There is got to be a solution.

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

matias93

Wow, nice new thing!! It's certainly ecclectic, like a mash-up barroque and art deco. I think it improves by changing the trumpets by torches...

Quote from: Simmer2 on May 14, 2018, 06:51:20 AMHi Matt.

I'm curious now. I'm going to do some experimenting with overhanging night lights.

Nick
Maybe a secondary lot that is only the lights and that can be placed on water? It would require several versions at different heights, but it would work.

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

mattb325

Quote from: Simmer2 on May 14, 2018, 06:51:20 AM
Hi Matt.

Nick

I should have been more specific....this particular over-hanging prop won't light up because of how it is being put to use.

Over-hanging props do light up, but (assuming they have night lights in the first place) they have to meet at least 2 conditions:
1) the bounding box of the prop sits entirely within the footprint of the lot upon which it is placed, and
2) any side of the prop bounding box is placed not right on (or even slightly overhanging) the lot boundary. Rule 2 applies equally to normal props which won't light up if placed hard up against the lot edge. It's just a game limitation.

Have a look at either Porkissimos trees or street props as an example. If I recall correctly, most overhang, and if placed correctly with respect to the above 2 conditions, do indeed light up.

However, this restaurant is about 3-3.5 tiles long/wide. The main 'building and foundation' is the prop which must connect to the land via that ramp.
The same placement  can therefore be used without water constraint to place on a cliff, or to place over ploppable streams as well as real in-game water (at a pinch, it will also work on canals, but given that the canal LODs interfere, the results are a little less believable). The way it is modelled allows for most of the seawalls to be placed under it, so it's a multi=-purpose lot. It sits on a 1x1 lot which joins the road to provide jobs and therefore the prop is far larger than the lot. Even if the size is adjusted in the reader to conform to the 1x1 footprint, it won't sit correctly on the lot for placement (it won't save due to the error of having an object placed outside the lot boundaries), which is why I made the model this way, hence why I asked if there was an interest in this sort of thing.

Now I don't care about nite-lites, but I am aware that the community feels it must have it always without exception, so if the consensus is that no nite-lites are an issue, I guess it will remain part of a private stash  ;)

Anyway, too many words (phew), time for a progress shot....

There'll be no issues with this lighting up as it will be a 4x4 lot  ;D

brick_mortimer

Quote from: mattb325 on May 14, 2018, 01:20:59 PM
I don't care about nite-lites
Personnaly I couldn't care less for night lights as my sims usually have eternal sun.
It helps the mayor building the city :D

Quote from: mattb325 on May 14, 2018, 01:20:59 PM
time for a progress shot....
[...]
There'll be no issues with this lighting up as it will be a 4x4 lot  ;D
I guess this time we're goin' to Texas, interesting ;)
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

Andreas

Same here, nightlights are some nice eye-candy, but I rarely ever switch to night mode after all. ;)

Also, "European style", lol, the first thing I thought when I saw the photo was "Only in America... ???$%Grinno$%
Andreas

Kitsune

umm I've been guilty quite a bit in life as describing thing's European-y and European Style .   :-[
~ NAM Team Member

Odainsaker

I had to do two double takes for a moment, for not only is the BAT model looking good, but I wondered just when did the city of Austin built that Bass Performance Hall.  Then I realized, this one is actually in Fort Worth.

The Bass Concert Hall in Austin that I am familiar with was an inhumane fortress of 1980s institutional Brutalism which they labeled a performing arts center:

They have since upgraded the façade, but it is not quite that upgraded!

Not that Austin doesn't do big, fancy, highfalutin You-Row-Peon architecture like the Bullock Texas State History Museum:

All classy with arches and domes, just like the real things in Italy!

Interestingly, both the State History Museum and the Fort Worth Bass Hall designs came out of the late 1990s, I think partly in reaction to the stark and increasingly banal institutionalism shown by the Austin Bass Hall that had been popular in previous decades.

BTW, both the performance hall BAT and the harbor restaurant are truly wonderful.

matias93

You know, I normally wouldn't mind about the lack of lights (even if I indeed use the game in night mode a lot), but the fact is that *your* nightlighting skills are almost unparalleled by the current BATters. It's simply a delight to find one of your buildings in one of our cities by night, so it's only reasonable to want them all to be nightlighted.
Now, if that goes against your schedule or makes more difficult to work on other projects, just dismiss this. It was more on the vein of explaining why we all want that feature, than to make the case for nightlighting this particular building.

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

bombardiere

Oh one without the night light is perfectly fine.  :thumbsup: I don't use night either.  I have included nightlight in my Bats just for courtesy.

Seaman

Quote from: Andreas on May 14, 2018, 03:03:40 PM
Also, "European style", lol, the first thing I thought when I saw the photo was "Only in America... ???$%Grinno$%

:D I know how you get there. But this is why I am actually surprised to see this style here in europe over and over again. I specifically remember the "palace of justice" in Buxels to look rather hilarious for that matter:

this is the building...

and Dudes like these are standing all over the place  ;D

build in the late 19th century

fantozzi

I personally think night lights are good for night shots (pictures) and night shot usually look good with dark nite mod. But night doesn't add something to the gameplay - it's just a visual effect.

Now I remember Frank Sintra singing "I want to wake up in a city that never sleeps ..." and perhaps therefore it's always day in my game as I 'playing' SC4 to me means to mess around with something, to build, plan, change, bulldoze, rebuild ... so I can't use night for playing.

But browsing throught the city journals one has to confess, there are some spectacular night shots.

So I think night lights are some fine extra. They aren't necessary for the game and therfore you can't blame a bat for having no night lights. It will work perfectly without night lights. It's an extra like a stowable backseat.

A 1960's ferrari 250GT usually costs between 20 and 40 million $ today. And it has no stowable backseat.

Someone who doesn't like a ferrari 250GT because of having no stowable backseat ... well it's the same like people disliking a beautiful bat because it has no nightlights. I won't say in public what I think about this.

But me, personally, I would say; please, give us the ferrari, matt, we won't miss the stowable backseat much.

Andreas

Andreas

brick_mortimer

Quote from: Andreas on May 16, 2018, 10:39:05 AM
@Seaman: Well, the Belgians and their houses... ;)
:)
I love this website: If I had any talent in BATting, these would be the first things I'd make, no joke.

And honestly, the website is dead-on, the things I see driving around rival some of the houses on this website.
My daily commute by train is even "worse", because I usually only see the backside of these houses :D

Belgians are champions in renovating and adding "stuff" to their houses and backyards.

#misplacednationalpride
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

mattb325

Thanks all, if the consensus is no nite-lites is fine, then I'll package the little restaurant up shortly.

Those Belgian houses certainly cater to  a very specific set of tastes...I bet the 80's was popular decade there...I certainly had a laugh looking through the website!  $%Grinno$%.

Now, hopefully the deliberate changes I have made to this building while Batting it have made it less 'Texas sits on front porch pointing shotgun at Europe' and more 'Texas invites Europe in for a cup of tea'
It is modded as an Opera House reward (also another type of building I have never made).