• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Holt: One Year Later

Started by sim_link, July 27, 2012, 06:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sim_link

HOLT: ONE YEAR LATER

It has been one chaotic year. It has been a full year since I lasted posted an update here in Holt. When I posted that Holiday shopping update a year ago, I didn't expect there to be a full year gap in updates. But, as they say, life is what happens when you're busy making plans. So, you might be wondering what has been going on in Holt for the past year... Unfortunately, not much. A lot has been going on in RL, basically everything has been keeping me busy.  It'd be easier to list things that haven't kept me busy. :P Needless to say I haven't been around here much this year as RL kept me more than busy...

So, Holt. Unfortunately not much has been going on there. In all honesty I have probably spent only a few hours in Holt the entire year. Certainly nowhere near the amount of time I have in years past. Little has been developed/achieved. That's certainly not to say I haven't been messing around in SC4, I have, just not so much in Holt. Call it creator's block, if you will. There are certainly some ideas floating around, but few seem to really work out. I think I am, more or less, "stuck" with where to go in Holt, or at least not sure how to get where I want to go. I think, like some of my other projects, I worked myself into a corner. Some things I have done in the past in Holt have set me in a direction I can't totally change, and unfortunately some of what I want to go with Holt, can't be achieved without totally changing the dimensions of Holt. (By that I mean the realism of things built not being suddenly scrapped, minus that one CBD, of course. ) People who play any sim-style game will know the desire to try something new every now and then. 

Which brings us to now. In essence, there is nothing new to show from Holt from this past year. Part of that is the creator's block described above, part of that is RL keeping me immensely busy. Unfortunately for Holt, it doesn't look like the busy part will get any better. In fact, it will probably only get worse.

Those two facts, and several other factors, lead to one hard decision: One year after the last Holt update, I am officially ending Holt. These past 3 (!!!) years have been absolutely amazing. Okay, so the last year may not quite count, but you get the point. When I started Holt I had a general idea of where I wanted to go, but I never did fully expect how much it took off. The sheer volume of likes, views and comments received exceeded my expectations exponentially. The feedback has been great, and I have had so much fun sharing the progression of Holt with you.

Recently, I took a look back and read through the updates I have published. I don't often actually go back and look at updates that are too far back. It was a great trip down memory lane. I can still picture preparing some of the updates, particularly larger ones (like the census) or ones outside my normal comfort zone (Helllooo Amusement Park!)... but all in all it did make me smile a bit. So too did everyone's feedback, even when people were pointing out things that were a little, off... things I needed to work on. (How else would I know how to get better? :)

This past year, well past several really, have been exciting and challenging. A lot has changed, just as a lot of things changed here too. It was definitely not easy to officially call this the end, but here we are. While this certainly is not good-bye (I plan to still be active in the community, despite 2015 being a mostly non-existent year for me), it's the end of a big chapter of my time here in the community.

It is time to officially close the book of Holt. It has been an absolute blast publishing Holt for the past 3 years. Hopefully I will see many familiar people around the community for some time to come. 

And as any avid book-lover knows, just because you've closed a book doesn't mean you'll never read it again. ;)

All the best,
simlink

Thank You, for coming on the journey through Holt for the last 3 years. :) 

APSMS

Well shucks.

Here I thought you had an update in store for us. I guess in a way, you did.

I will miss it dearly. Good luck on the rest of your endeavors.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

vortext

Sad to see Holt come to a definite end. I always enjoyed watching the region grow and really hope in the future we'll get something new to read from your hand, even if it'd be a novella by comparison.  ;)

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

kbieniu7

I've lurked few times in your topic, but never commented, what I regret. Now, I took a look back on your past updates. They're quite good and interesting, you had nice ideas to analize your cities providing statistical datas :) Sad to see you closing your thread, but that's all a game. Just a game.

You've made a good comparison to a book. With building our regions and showing them we write a diary, creating a small chapters with each update. And maybe it's better to finish writing with a special ending, making summary of - many times - several years of activity and give the last word to the readers, rather than left it unfinished to fade out somewhere?

Hope, that even though you close your diary, you will stay with the community for longer :)

Regards!
Kamil
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

feyss

I'm also a little ashamed to admit I spent my time lurking here, which is not that great  &mmm

Anyway, sad to see a goog CJ closing, but it still better than people disappearing without giving news.

As kbieniu7 underlined it, I also especially like your statistics showing how your cities and region were growing.

Good luck for your future projects my friend  :thumbsup: