• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinlabsc3k

My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

woodb3kmaster

I wouldn't exactly call missing paths broken, but that's an academic distinction.

From what I can tell, it seems the diagonal L2 RHW-8S's innermost and outermost tiles don't have any paths at all, either on the RHW or the ground networks. This isn't a problem for the RHW, since there's no need for paths on those tiles, but it causes the exact problem Alan reported. Added to the bug tracker as Issue #283.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Tarkus

Actually, examining the files, there are path files at the appropriate IIDs (it'd be 0x57257140 for the Road one--found in the L2 RHW-8S .dat file).  However, there is a minor formatting issue with the path files--an extra blank line between the initial definition and the paths.  It seems to be enough for the game to think they're invalid.  I've confirmed just now that removing that blank line fixes the paths.  At initial glance at the .dat files, it seems this also affects the L1 RHW-8S crossings as well, and may not be limited there.

Edit: We're looking at probably close to a hundred affected path files on the L1 and L2 8S.  IID-wise, it's pretty much the entire range from 70-BC on the Piece ID (digits 5 and 6), where the seventh digit is 4, 5, or 6.

-Alex

Alan_Waters

Themistokles

Quote from: mgb204 on April 16, 2016, 07:51:08 PM
Quote from: Themistokles on April 15, 2016, 05:25:02 AM
If you'd be willing to provide such a patch, I'd be really grateful!

Attached. Untested, although aside from being in EU guise (thanks Tarkus for the script ;) ), they are a carbon copy of the US textures.

Many thanks for the patch and very quick reply! Sorry for responding like ages later. The patch works great :thumbsup: The only trouble is that, for some odd reason, some of the arrows point in weird ways (see attached screenshots).
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

mgb204

Quote from: Themistokles on April 24, 2016, 09:35:58 AM
Many thanks for the patch and very quick reply! Sorry for responding like ages later. The patch works great :thumbsup: The only trouble is that, for some odd reason, some of the arrows point in weird ways (see attached screenshots).

Looks like a couple textures were somehow incorrectly flipped. Not sure how this happened, since the base set I used to make them were also RHD??? Anyhow, I've updated them on the original post, they should work fine now. Problem is, the RHW textures are a bit scattered, it's really hard to get a handle on them. When I made the LHD ones, I had to manually go through every piece one at a time, I should have thought to check the EU RHD ones when I did the original work. Once again, I'd appreciate if you could confirm if everything is working OK or not, thanks.

Themistokles

Quote from: mgb204 on April 28, 2016, 12:18:57 AM
Looks like a couple textures were somehow incorrectly flipped. Not sure how this happened, since the base set I used to make them were also RHD??? Anyhow, I've updated them on the original post, they should work fine now. Problem is, the RHW textures are a bit scattered, it's really hard to get a handle on them. When I made the LHD ones, I had to manually go through every piece one at a time, I should have thought to check the EU RHD ones when I did the original work. Once again, I'd appreciate if you could confirm if everything is working OK or not, thanks.

It works! Thank you very much for the help. :thumbsup:

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

cireland

First time user of NAM.

I'm trying to install it, but it gives me an error "SimCity4.exe cannot be found in the installation directory. I have the game via Origin it's fully updated,  I have searched all the folders and tried to install the addon where the SimCity.exe is located C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCity

But nothing works... I am as the directory would indicate using a PC and I clicked "No" to port to a MAC at the start which I assume was correct?

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Cireland

evarburg

Another NAM 34 firs timer here. After seeing some of the things you can do with it, I decided to reign in my terror of it and began babystepping myself into RHW, at least. I watched tutorials. I visited FAQs. I followed threads (OK, not all 631 pages of some... or the 191 pages of this one, I confess, absent a search function for specific problems)...

And I am getting bogged down by the simplest thing : I wanted to create an elevated road overpass over RHW 4. I went to the relevant road menu, and got the piece that goes over RHW4, all right, both directions, and placed them, but couldn't find the pieces to complete the puzzle and go from up there to the simple road down there (road over blakn terrain -- and the others...), as shown in the nice Maartens' video tutorial -- that was no doubt made with a previous version of the NAM.

The Elevated Road-over-everything-but RHW Puzzle Pieces seem to have disappeared from this iteration of the NAM. I flipped through all the menus and just didn't find them. I went surfing the net again, and didn't find any answer either. I can underpass a road with the FLUP, but can't overpass a road over RW4 (or anything else ?) now.

I can't believe those puzzle pieces (over blank terrain... over streets...over rail...on slope...) have disappeared, it must be me : where should I look for them ?

mgb204

So it would seem you've found the old puzzle pieces for the RHW crossings. The last three items in the road menu only contain RHW-related parts. The remaining pieces to connect up are also in the road menu, 15m Elevated Road viaducts in this case.

There is another way to make them too, using the flexible Draggable Elevated Road Viaducts. Such puzzle pieces are not required to make these, you just place an elevated starter, adding ramps or on-slope pieces on either side. The primary benefit of them is they support 7.5 (L1) crossings over RHW, whereas the puzzle pieces only support the 15m (L2) pieces.

evarburg

Quote from: mgb204 on May 11, 2016, 08:34:49 AM
So it would seem you've found the old puzzle pieces for the RHW crossings. The last three items in the road menu only contain RHW-related parts. The remaining pieces to connect up are also in the road menu, 15m Elevated Road viaducts in this case.

There is another way to make them too, using the flexible Draggable Elevated Road Viaducts. Such puzzle pieces are not required to make these, you just place an elevated starter, adding ramps or on-slope pieces on either side. The primary benefit of them is they support 7.5 (L1) crossings over RHW, whereas the puzzle pieces only support the 15m (L2) pieces.

(Ah, MGB to the rescue:-) But. Er... Yeeees... Where in the road (I suppose "normal road"?) menu ? I can't find any 15 m elevated viaducs or (in the avenue menu ?) any draggable elevated road viaduct [but I have Rural Roads Puzzle pieces twice, I suddenly realize. Uh ?] Did I flub my custom install ?

mgb204

Quote from: evarburg on May 11, 2016, 09:17:44 AM
Where in the road (I suppose "normal road"?) menu ? I can't find any 15 m elevated viaducs or (in the avenue menu ?) any draggable elevated road viaduct [but I have Rural Roads Puzzle pieces twice, I suddenly realize. Uh ?] Did I flub my custom install ?

Rural roads (or other items) being there twice is a sign you've more than one NAM installation. Did you previously install this as a separate download? The NAM used to come as separate components. If you have such files, you should remove them and use the latest versions, which are all part of the one NAM package. Otherwise, is there some possibility you've more than one NAM install?

Both sets of options for viaducts should be in the Main Roads menu (first icon under transport). If not, check they are ticked when re-installing the NAM. Find them under NAM Networks and Network Expansions / Elevated Road Networks in the installer.

evarburg

Yep, of course it was me ! For some reason the elevated road stuff had been unticked in the last install. All is well now. Thanks, MGB !

six9nc

I have had nothing but bad days dealing with Windows 10 and SC4.  So I finally did a clean install and now NAM 33 or 34 will not run correctly on my machine.  I get red squares when choosing flex ramps even though I made sure it was checked in the custom install.  Also, I get red squares for the maxis ramps and filler pieces.  Lastly, I 8 and 10 ramps aren't showing up correctly in the game and I cant even drag the starter pieces out.  I have attached photos when I attempt to drag out from the pieces. Also, when I hover over the NAM icon it says r69 May 15 2010.  Please help!

"The man who sleeps on the floor never falls out of bed"...Martin Lawrence

Tarkus

If the icon is saying "r69 May 15 2010", then there's definitely bits of NAM 28 that are still in your plugins.  Based on the textures, it appears RHW 4.0 (the RHW release that went with NAM 28) is as well.  I'd find the NAM 28/RHW 4.0 bits and remove them, and that'd probably go along way toward fixing the issue.  Running the Cleanitol option in the NAM installer may help you out as well.

-Alex

danholo

Trying to use ground to 7.5 elevated but found them useless since there is no ground to elevated transition piece available as in the 15m versions. Seems like a bug?

Themistokles

Quote from: danholo on May 14, 2016, 01:23:12 PM
Trying to use ground to 7.5 elevated but found them useless since there is no ground to elevated transition piece available as in the 15m versions. Seems like a bug?
There is, but all 7.5 m transitions are FlexHeight ones.

danholo

I'll have to check that one out then. I'll look for FlexHeight pieces.

Tackar.

&Thk/(I guess I'd find out proper instructions about this in the manual?

Themistokles

Quote from: danholo on May 15, 2016, 06:48:35 AM
I'll have to check that one out then. I'll look for FlexHeight pieces.

Tackar.

&Thk/ (I guess I'd find out proper instructions about this in the manual?

Varsågod :)

Unfortunately, I think the documentation is not up to date yet. But in the meantime the always well prepared and helpful mgb has made an excellent video description of it (and lots of other useful stuff) https://youtu.be/5mQZBMUOuXE?t=5m47s. The video shows only road, avenue and oneway roads, but the RHW ones work pretty much the same way, except that they change into their intended network instead.