• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmouse

My my, TDOT has some busy days ahead - much to the delight of this loyal follower! :) The Jan Haskins Pkwy. is a huge undertaking that will be very interesting to watch. I'm looking forward to seeing how it intersects with E Los Endos, and especially anxious to see what happens when it reaches 94. Also wondering if that dip in the road will be retained - TDOT seems to prefer level ground in many cases.

At first glance, the Tartan area project appears to be more straight forward and thus easier to work through. But that's just a first glance by an amateur! After SE Gehrts Way changes to SE 50th St., the next major crossing is E Los Endos - an overpass maybe? Sorry, don't recall if there's already one in place &mmm. If I'm going to get the full benefit of studying your work, guess I need to go back and take notes on past projects, eh.

Another good update
with lots of interesting projects coming up - what more could anyone ask for! :thumbsup:
Joan

Sciurus

L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

art128

It's always a pleasure to see your network Alex, it's always still awesome !  &apls
Full of genius things my friend !

Can't wait the next update,

Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

bat

Two fantastic updates there! Great constructions of these roads!!
Nice work!
Looking forward to more... :)

Battlecat

A most excellent update!  Those new roads need to get punched through, it sure looks like traffic is heavy along some of those routes in your latest update! 

deathtopumpkins

Wow, lots of projects on the board for TDOT! Can't wait to see them done...

And is that the top of the interface I see in the last pic?  :P
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

LE0

Finally another update!  ;D

PS Whats the field in 2nd to last pic and TPed trees?
Leoland coming Spring 2009

bakerton

First, Beautiful construction. It looks great with everything. Second, The streach of I-94 is 35 miles long from Illinois State Line to I-894 and the
$1 Billion includes new Frontage Roads, new Interchanges, and the widening. 95% of the funds are federal and 5% is State funded. Now I have to find a new way to work as I work near the Interstate and the Frontage Roads. Will be waiting for the next update. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

EDGE4194

Looks like the TDOT is busy as usual. Glad to see your state's budget seems to be healthy  ;D Looks like that nice estate is pic 8 had been abandoned... too much dust from the construction perhaps?

debutterfly

Hey Alex. Nice Update.  :thumbsup: Was just wondering where you get those concrete road embankments, not the sound barriers. Alway have wanted realistic embankments for roads.  ;)

-Larry (debutterfly)

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Tarkusian Cities is finally back with some more construction.  We'll be finishing up the Jan Haskins Parkway project and take a look at some more of the Tartan Corridor Project improvements underway.

But first, some replies:

metarvo: Yes, it is definitely booming--this eastern part is particularly a hotbed for new residential development.  And as far as your excellent question about the various transportation jurisdictions, the Tartan Corridor Project is being done by City of Los Endos Public Works because all the roads involved are city streets.  There's no numbered highways involved, so TDOT didn't allocate any funding.  However, as you'll eventually see, the traffic gets bad enough that TDOT ends up having to intervene on some rather pricey projects. ;)  Thanks for asking!

Ryan (burgsabre87): LOL--that's a good one.  I might have been subconsciously thinking that on some level when naming the area.  Thanks for the kind words!

Pat:  Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I hope you enjoy the continuation of the various projects this time around!

Haljackey:  Plenty of times.  And you'll here it plenty more times, too.  I'm going to see if I can get it to catch on like the infamous "i-word" that I shan't mention. :D  Thanks for the good luck wishes--TDOT and Los Endos will need them. ::)

Joan (Jmouse):  Thanks, I'm glad you found the various projects interesting!  And thanks for the great detailed comments/questions as well!  The Jan Haskins Parkway was indeed a rather large undertaking, mainly because of the topography, and you'll get to see the end results here this update.  As far as the Tartan project, you're actually exactly right--it's basically some straightforward widening, with a little re-alignment on the Memo Road end of things.  As you'll see here, the city kind of made a bit of a slalom during the construction.

The 50th/Los Endos intersection is actually just a signalized 4-way intersection between two TLA-5s . . . you'll see it in one of the next couple updates.  50th does, however, have an interchange with Highway 94, which will get increasingly busy with some of the development coming to the north side of the highway.

Guillaume (Sciurus): Thanks, I'm glad to hear you like it!

Arthur (art128):  Thank you for the all-too-kind words, my friend.  Hope you enjoy Update 47!

bat:  Thanks for the compliments on the construction--there's certainly more to come. ;)

Battlecat:  Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it, and yes, these roads definitely need to get punched through!  There will be quite a few extension/realignment/widening projects in the East Los Endos area that you'll be seeing here soon.  It's an area that's undergoing some very rapid changes, particularly with all the residential development that sprung up almost overnight. 

deathtopumpkins:  Thanks for the great comment.  And as far as the projects go, most definitely--and this is just in Los Endos.  :)  They've got plenty of other cities to take care of, too.  There's literally a few hundred projects on their drawing board, and there's definitely a bit of a backlog, in fact.  Fortunately, TDOT's very well funded. ;) 

And yes, you caught me. ::)

LE0: Thanks, and if you're wondering about the sports field there at the high school, that's out of Chrisadams3997's Football Fields.  The TP'd trees are actually a Maxis thing.  Happens a fair amount in Los Endos, too . . . the supermarkets have mondo sales on Charmin, which exacerbates the situation. :D

Jon (bakerton):  Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the info on the I-94 project.  I can imagine that it does indeed create some inconvenience for awhile, but will more than likely be worth it in the end.  Sounds like they're getting quite a bit of freeway done with that $1 billion, too.  Oregon and Washington need to shop around, methinks, or pick more sensible projects.  :D  The cost estimate here on the I-5 Interstate Bridge replacement is a whopping $4.2 billion.

Eric (EDGE4194):  Yes, they most definitely are busy--and they'll have quite a bit to show for it here soon. :D  Good eye on the estate, though looking at the pic, it looks like construction hadn't started yet there.  Maybe the dust from the construction will actually fix it up. ::)  Thanks for the great comment!

Larry (debutterfly):  Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!  The embankments are from MAS71's JPN Wall Set 2.  I'm using Texture 05, I believe.  My favorite embankment walls by far. :)

Now, back to the construction sites . . .

Let's begin by looking at some of the Tartan Corridor Project. 

Here is SE 50th Street near Tartan High School, as the widening is underway. (facing north)

Here it is widened, with a new traffic signal at Tartan Way, the main access road to the school, just north of the point at which 50th curves and truns into SE Gehrts Way. (facing north)

Next, let's look at some of the work going on on SE Memo Road/57th Street.

Here's a mess of temporary alignments built to allow construction crews room to build the new roadway. (all facing north)

Near Hardy and Ivy Streets.

Near Argentum Drive.

Near Ilmore Street.

Here's a look at the intersection of 57th and Los Endos Blvd upon completion of the project.

Finally, let's move onto the Jan Haskins Parkway, a major limited access arterial in the Foothill area.  The City of Los Endos, with some assistance from TDOT, identified this rapidly growing part of the city as having a serious need for a new north-south arterial. 

Here, the overpass has been built over Highway 94, and grading has begun in preparation for the rest of the road to be built. (facing east)

The interchange with Highway 94 has been built in this pic.  (facing east)

And here's some more recent images of the Jan Haskins Parkway after completion.  (You'll also notice I've switched over the region to my Wasco Terrain mod.)

This is the new Los Endos Boulevard/Jan Haskins Parkway intersection, the southern terminus of the new road. (facing east)

The one at-grade intersection with Foothill Terrace. (facing east)

The parkway was quite an engineering feat on TDOT's part, given the mountainous topography surrounding it.  Here are a couple images illustrating the relatively steep grade the road covers.  In the second pic, you'll notice a road that's not on the map.  It is a new east-west arterial called Broadvine Way, which you'll see more of in a future update. (facing north)

And that does it for this installment of Tarkusian Cities.  More construction ahead . . .

-Alex

Swamper77

Looks like summer hit your area early, or you have some stimulus funds you're using. ;)

Hopefully, your commuters appreciate all the work you're putting in to make their commutes smoother. I think a few won't be happy that you have to remove their homes over by that cemetery. How does the TDOT and other agencies handle the relocation of residents if their houses need to be removed for a new roadway?

It also appears you have a few garbage problems in your region. I hope garbage pickup isn't being impacted too much by all the construction and "moving" roads.

-Jan
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

dedgren

Very cool, Alex.  That's great use of SAM Set 7, too.  The integration is seamless.

Always on the lookout for a TC update, my friend.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

art128

Always great to see some fabulous interchange in the morning when you get up..
Alex, I really enjoyed this update my friend, excellent RHW and interchange system.
I like the first picture, with that little stadium, it looks like soo real. The suburbs (if it's a suburbs ?) is greatly done.

Take Care,

Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

TmiguelT

Awesome update as usual. You and your updates are always inspiring for the Road Geek Society  &apls. I personally follow each update but i never posted anything before  ;D. Well never is too late  :). Great Work Alex!!!!  :thumbsup:

carkid1998

nice work!

was that a TLA-4??? from the NWM?? Which means it's ready?? ;) ;) :P
Sendona... Coming soon!

Battlecat

Nice!  Everything is coming along quite nicely.  I really like the way you've set up that school, looks great!

It appears there is a bit of a garbage problem at at the intersection of 57th and Los Endos Blv (6th picture)!

bat

Great as always! Wonderful new pictures of your fantastic work! Nice pictures of that RHW! :thumbsup:

deathtopumpkins

Whew, still lots going on!

I really like that high school campus in the first few pictures... that a SAM street you made the parking lot out of? I might try and attempt something similar myself.

But I think that Jan Haskins Pkwy. is a little bit TOO steep! :P I'd be a bit nervous driving on it. It looks very cleverly designed though, especially the interchange with highway 94.

Lastly, I'm loving that terrain mod... I have a few regions it might look good on, and I can't wait to see the "more construction!"  ;)
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Pat

Hey Alex has TDOT done anything about that trash there?? Or I am going to have to contact EPA about all that trash laying around there tisk tisk  $%Grinno$%

Anywho great update here and its always great to see what you are doing and all the projects going on!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie