• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

Always on the cutting edge and always developing. The realignment looks great. The new path seems much better, and much more 'driver-friendly'. I've been on a few highways that find themselves winding through towns and, while that can be neat, it makes for an... interesting drive... particularly when there's a traffic light at each intersection and none of them seem to be properly timed. They could benefit from the Tarkus Touch. The pedestrian overpasses are a good use of an underused feature and look good the way you have used them. I agree with Joan about the realignment of 15th street by the water tower. There is an intersection like that in Santa Barbara (on Cliff Dr. and Mesa Ln/Flora Vista Dr.) where they timed the lights well, but it is an awkward setup at times (I wish I still lived there so I could find/take a picture of it).  As for the police station, I completely missed it last time, thanks for pointing it out. The TLA-5s seem to be coming together nicely and, in general, all the developments you've been working on look pretty darn good. Take it easy, and I'll keep an eye out for the next update.
-Matt

Haljackey

Hey, nice update!

The ped. overpass was the most interesting part of this update for me.  You just don't see enough of that! 
-Again, nice construction pics and good use of the TLA.  You are teasing us a bit too much...   :P

Best,
-Haljackey

Meastro444

very nice update Tarkus!

makes me itching for the all those Transit mods to be released!! ;D
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

paroch

Hi Alex,

It's interesting to see a redevelopment step by step and hear your thoughts and reasoning.  I know all to often I just whack a nice shiny new road into place with little thought of the impact it would have in an RL situation.

And living in Essex myself I'll be interested to see how Essex Drive turns out  :)

Paul

Tarkus

Well, as I promised last time, I'm back with a small update with a few pics of the Highway 94/18th Avenue (Highway 33) interchange.

And also, Tarkusian Cities hit a milestone earlier this evening:

[img]http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2106/20000viewsio2.jpg[/img]

20,000 views . . . well, 20,001 in that pic.  And it looks like none other than our friend Justin (jgehrts) rolled the odometer.  So, a thank you and congratulations are in order to him.  And to all the rest of you who made the other 19,999 views before that.  So, needless to say, I'm shocked and elated--and I don't know what all I did to deserve all those views, either.  :D 

Now to reply to some of your comments:

Arthur (art128):  Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Piotr (sheep49):  Thanks, I am pleased to hear you like Los Endos, and hope you enjoy this latest update. :)

Casper (caspervg):  I had almost forgotten about the NAM Pedestrian Overpasses, too.  They're really not used all that often.  Thanks for the kind words!  And yes, the construction crews will have no problems keeping busy.  ;)

JoeST:  Thanks for the compliments!  The main reason I ended up going with the NAM overpasses there was because I wanted to steer clear of TE Lots (hanging out with Jason has rubbed off on me :D).  And they're functional, too, which means if the BSC Parks are ever turned into a draggable transit network (an idea that we've been throwing around for awhile ;), they'll be able to take actual pedestrian traffic. 

bat:  Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the city and the map. :)

Joan (Jmouse): Well, it sounds like you were close, though.  :D  I kind of had anticipated that there would need to be some sort of big arterial road in that area eventually, so I tried to plan around it.  And thus far, it's worked out quite well, though it may actually be due for a further upgrade at some point.

I'm glad you liked the pedestrian bridge idea, too.  I've always been a big fan of them, and I think a lot of transit planners forget that pedestrian routes can get congested, and sometimes, grade-separation (bridge or tunnel) rather than a crosswalk is the best solution.  Certainly, they are a bit pricy, but still, I think they're a better investment than a lot of other "luxury" transport items they tend to build around these parts.

The Essex/15th intersection is an interesting quandry indeed.  There still is room there to fix it without demolishing anything, so perhaps combining the intersections in some way is in order.  Fortunately, now that Highway 33 has been re-routed onto 18th, that intersection doesn't get nearly the traffic load it once did.

Thanks for the kind words, and most of all, for the feedback--I always enjoy your posts.

j-dub:  Thanks, I'm glad you liked the pedestrian bridge idea as well, and widening will indeed be coming to Los Endos Boulevard quite soon.  That's an interesting idea, too, about having a longer ramp.  I kind of like that idea more than the elevator.  Perhaps a new puzzle piece will be in order--the Ped Mall/Path system needs some new additions, methinks.

deathtopumpkins:  I'm glad you enjoyed the realignment, and those may indeed be coming to Version 21.  I did actually signalize one of the MIS/Road intersections, too, while I was at it--it may make an appearance in a future update. ;)

As Jason (jplumbley) pointed out, I am using his new RTL Plugin--I actually have to in order to use the TLAs, since the old one conflicts with them.  With the splitter texture there, well, that is generally how I've seen it in Oregon, and . . . I've actually been toying with the idea of doing a double-yellow-line version of the RHW-2 textures as an alternate to the dashed, too.  And the TLA-5 textures are indeed just really rough.  They seriously need some work. :D 

Hope you enjoy the interchange. :)

Allan (allan_kuan1992):  Hehe . . . but I did this time. :P  Glad you liked the rest of the update, though!

Jason (jplumbley):  Thanks for the response to the response, there! :D  And I'm glad you liked how I used SAM Set 3 there.  That idea just kind of hit me out of the blue one day--it's actually a big time saver compared to plopping dozens of those dirt lots all over the place in most situations.

Matt (threestooges):  Thank you for the kind words, my friend.  I'm glad you liked the ped overpass usage, and the new route of the highway--I got lucky with that one.  I  And I know all too well what you mean about the circuitous routes.  Sometimes they're kind of fun, but other times, they're tiring.  I may have to look up that intersection you mentioned on Google Maps, too--I always like comparing RL reference points if possible.

Haljackey:  Thanks, I'm glad it was to your liking, and the NAM Ped Overpasses are just about the most forgotten feature out there.  I'm thinking that expanding them may be a future project--of course, once I get all this other fun stuff I'm working on done. :D  And yes, I can't help but tease.  I should at least get some other new mods ready, so I'm not teasing you all with the same things over and over.  :P

Meastro444:  Thank you for the compliments, and it makes me want to get them finished up here at some point, too. ;D

Paul (paroch):  I'm thrilled that you enjoyed seeing the process end of things--I almost tend to think about that stuff a little too much. Might be hereditary, from having an engineer father. :D  And I'm glad you liked the road name there, too--you'll definitely get to see Essex Drive some more in future updates. :)

Highway 94 with the new ramps just west of the new interchange.  The closed road there with the bulldozers is 15th Street, the former alignment of Highway 33 (looking west).  As you can see, it's been closed and can no longer access the highway.  The north segment will be demolished completely, whereas the southern portion will simply dead-end.

Richland Lane at Highway 33, looking west toward the Highway 94 onramp.  The dirt there on the corner is the site of one of only two "structural casualties" of the realignment project.  As you can also see, work is beginning on widening Richland at this intersection. 

This is at the east side of the interchange. (looking west)

As you can see, the south half of it (to/from Eastbound 94) is a diamond, while the north part (to/from Westbound 94) is a parclo that connects onto Richland Lane.

Landscaping done on Highway 94 between the interchange and the bridge (looking west).  The areas just to either side of the highway are now residential developments, so soundwalls were constructed.

And this one just for Daniel (SA) . . . TDOT fixed the bridge approaches. (looking north)

You'll also notice a walkway there--it will eventually cross the highway here.  (Note to self: make Elevated Ped Walkway-over-RHW-4 puzzle pieces.)

I'll be back with more stuff from around Los Endos next time.  There's plenty more construction to come. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

CasperVg

And again, this is a splendid update. The last picture is really good, I never thought about making a (stretch) of RHW run on a slightly different height, but it really looks good. I like the teasing you've done (again) in this update  ;)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

allan_kuan1992

nice showcase of the RHW.

Now... can you ship them for our usage as well? :D

Anyway, nice work, and I hope to see more shots of the ever-growing RHW network soon. =)

EDIT:

We got a ditch in the ramp to the highway there. $%Grinno$%

Someome needs to properly grade that... the left side seems too steep...

and the right side of the ramp here seems steep too due to the slope...

Just me being "perfectionist" today :P

- Allan Kuan

JoeST

Yeah I see where you go with the reason for the pedestrian bridges, but they are just too high, and the towers look silly imo.

of course, it still looks great and I cant wait for more, like always :) its just me being obsessive :p

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

MandelSoft

Nice to see the reconstruction of a highway interchange. Bravo!  &apls
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

EDGE4194

Alex- Excellent update  &apls Nice job on the realignment and the new intersection (what exactly is the tax rate in Los Endos anyway?). 
Alright- what's the next project?  ;D

bat

Wonderful new update there! And great new work on the RHW!! :thumbsup:

deathtopumpkins

Congrats on 20,000 views.

Thanks for both of your answers, Alex and Jason.

I noticed it off of the road x road intersections. Are the turning lanes for roads no longer, or are they just not done yet (because as Jason said, it's an alpha version)?

Yeah, I guess it makes since since the dashed yellow line is, essentially the continuation of a double yellow line, so you're right, leave it. I really wish that, instead of creating an alternate texture set with double yellow lines, it were possible to get them to automatically show up in front of intersections, and other appropriate places. Would this actually be possible using the same means as the RTL plugin, as it would be essentially the same thing.
OK, back on topic.

That interchange is nice!  :thumbsup: And do I see MIS without even a little sliver of sidewalk, just grass, touching the construction lots at the end of the road?

The new bridge approaches look good too!
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Pat

Alex WoW I could have sworn I left a comment after the last update, geeessh Im getting old here at almost 30 eeks!!!! Both great updates and I love the RHW Bridge and oooh when will it be out lol, I know I know Im just kidding around!!! Cant wait to see what more TDOT does around here....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Simpson

Hi Tarkus  :)
Your new update is very good as well  :thumbsup:
The  highway are so beautiful and very réalistic. And also your city is looking superb my friend
I'm until forward to the next update Alex
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Haljackey

A nice showcase of the new RHW.  I am also liking the use of Deadwood highway sound walls (the same ones I use  ;), its a great set!) and the verity of ped paths in the area.

When you first said that you were going to make the ped path cross the RHW, I was thinking why you would make such a dangerous crossing.  Now that I know ped mall-over RHW is in the works, I retract that statement.   :P

Oh and congrats on hitting 20,000 views too!  That's quite a milestone!

Best,
-Haljackey

Jmouse

I'm trying to mentally compare this layout to Jonesboro where the highway to Memphis bisects the city from west to east. So I'm wondering how the loss of 15th St. will effect the flow of north/south traffic. We seem to have enough overpasses and several main arteries which handle the N/S traffic quite well, though. In fact, I can get around better in this city of 65,000+ than I did in the little town of 24,000 I moved from!

Anyway, looking once again at your most recent map, there appears to be quite a large gap between the Hwy. 33 and the 0th St. overpasses. Any chance of widening E. 9th or 10th St. and connecting it to E. Water Way north of 94? Guess that would put a strain on some quiet neighborhoods, though. Best to leave well enough alone I guess, but I admit you do have me on the lookout for promising projects!

Very interesting update, Alex, and always a pleasure to see what's next on the construction menu!

Later...

Joan

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Tarkusian Cities is still alive . . . I'll be back with a larger update here in a bit, but to hold you over, here's a little larger map of Los Endos, expanding out to the city tile to the east of the main one, which you'll be seeing a lot more of soon.

[URL=http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?image=losendosfullmaphj4.png][IMG]http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/867/losendosfullmaphj4.th.png[/img][/URL]

-Alex (Tarkus)

Simpson

My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog