• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Can't build networks on a tile but can build everything else?

Started by Kitsune, April 17, 2017, 01:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune

When I go to place a street in this area bounded by street tiles and it says unable to build network. It will say this for any network, however I can plop everything else. The area was previously a free flow RHW interchange that I destroyed when I decided to rebuild the city, and the highway was shifted south. And to add - the tile crashes when loading now.

~ NAM Team Member

ChiefZDN

It looked the your NAM installation or your highway is broken. Try to rebuild the highway first (don't forget to backup your savedata). If it doesn't make changes, try to copy your backup to the region folder. Make sure that backup doesn't like this (still have the interchange). If it still doesn't make changes, try to reinstall the NAM. The Cleanitol will clean up the conflict mods. No conflict mods = should make changes.

I hope this reply is helpful. Thank you.

mgb204

The most likely reason you can't build a network here (based on the error) is because the terrain isn't flat enough. Even if it looks perfectly flat, a tiny difference between terrain height is enough to cause big problems when multiple networks/pieces come together in a congested space. You may need to bulldoze/rebuild certain parts of those networks before you can properly flatten the land. But once it's level, you should be able to build again without the problem.

When you say the tile crashes when loading, can you expand on what you mean? Does it always crash when trying to load it? Does that mean you can't enter the city at all?

Kitsune

The terrian is flat - 251.4. After encountering that area, the tile will now CTD upon loading. It will also CTD with a empty plugins folder, and I even tried removing all the exemplars from the save file via reader (did all this after I posted). Normally I would just replace ... but there is cumulative 6 hour RHWxRHW cloverstack followed by a tight avenue interchange that took a cumulative 6 hours to build that would suck to lose.
~ NAM Team Member

mgb204

Quote from: Kitsune on April 18, 2017, 06:19:00 AM
The terrian is flat - 251.4.

Ah, but is it really... the message you have is typical of a small variance which can't be auto-resolved because of the puzzle pieces in the vicinity. Still not a lot we can troubleshoot through if the tile simply isn't loading.

What can I say, if the tile CTDs on loading, that's a bad sign. If somehow it has been corrupted, there is nothing you can do unless you've a backup somewhere. However, there are a few reasons why this will happen that are not related to corrupted save files. The main one being if Trees/Flora from a custom Tree Controller were planted in the city, but that tree controller has been removed from your plugins or changed. In which case restore the files to make it work again. The other one is using HD mods with Software/OpenGL rendering, but that would be resolved with an empty plugins folder.

Kitsune

It really is 251.4 ... I flattened the entire terrain using roads and road tiles to that number for a level playing surface. Regret it as its too low for the grid lines to show. I was fearing it was corrupted as this morning I determined its crashing after loading the plugins, as the CTD was immediate with no plugins but took a minute or two with the full plugins. Oy.... now I gotta rebuild that interchange.  :'(
~ NAM Team Member

j-dub

Just had to share I too had the same problem Kitsune had, just to no resolve. When I was trying to build an airport, it has to play the sound for each plop, I guess I did it too often, in addition to terrain difference shifting everytime I placed a lot down, so finally it got tired, it had to take a seriously excessive long time to plop, and basically corrupted in that one spot. I wouldn't know the hard way until later when I tried to change the development in that area, I go to demolish that specific spot, the same spot it took forever to load to plop a plain lot of nothingness but runway cement, badda-bing, badda-boom! CRASH and again, and again, and again. Waste of time, loading only to crash. I could do everything else in that large tile city, but touch that one spot. Of course I was doomed.

ChiefZDN

I don't know this problem before. I never make the big interchange. I am not modder. However, as I said before is... Replace the interchange (warning, this is time-consuming action!), reinstall NAM and/or any mods, and restore the backup. If you still had this problem, try to reinstall the SimCity 4. The internal DAT modifications is lost, however. So, you need to reinstall the I-HT fix. This is an internal NAM issue. Something in the NAM went wrong. Tarkus, can you fix this bug?

Thank you.

Kitsune

What is making you think the NAM is broken ? And... this is almost a original copy of sim city rush hour, bought in 2004, modded to get around the cd verification. When I get a new PC... I just copy it and the registry entries over. The CD cracked ages ago so no reinstall can be done.
~ NAM Team Member

APSMS

I would have suggested zoning, and then forcing the zoning which auto-draws streets to draw a street over the affected tile as a test to see what happens

However, the only thing I really recall this being caused by was already mentioned by Robin, specifically a tree controller conflict or missing ID.
Now I have had trouble using street tiles in the past due to the fact that if you approach them from two separate/opposite sides, then their terrain level is sticky on both sides, and will prevent even the most basic terraforming from happening via the slope mod, and leaving the network unable to connect. You've specifically said that this isn't the case, though I do recall encountering it at least once after supposedly flattening an entire area using both road tiles and the QLB (god mode terraforming), probably due to some other induced slope propagating into the leveled road tiles and once again preventing the connect.

Occasionally I have also had adjacent road tiles disturb connections even when the ground was totally level; I think there may have been interference in the RUL due to the surrounding road tiles, but I can't be sure because the effects were usually difficult to reproduce.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Kitsune

I should note I gave up on the tile today - replaced it, releveled, and spent what felt like 6 hours rebuilding the interchange. Its not a hard interchange to build, just really really technical requiring perfect placement and strategic starters.
~ NAM Team Member

Tarkus

I've actually had a similar issue happen with a couple of my older cities, sometime close to a decade ago.  It's been a very long time, but as I recall, those particular cities had quite a lot of terrain alteration done on them at various points, along with some fairly extensive rebuilds, and there were a couple of spots in them that were rather sensitive if touched.  I think APSMS' explanation is closest to the mark.

Quote from: ChiefZDN on April 18, 2017, 07:06:43 PM
I don't know this problem before. I never make the big interchange. I am not modder. However, as I said before is... Replace the interchange (warning, this is time-consuming action!), reinstall NAM and/or any mods, and restore the backup. If you still had this problem, try to reinstall the SimCity 4. The internal DAT modifications is lost, however. So, you need to reinstall the I-HT fix. This is an internal NAM issue. Something in the NAM went wrong. Tarkus, can you fix this bug?

While you may have good intent, I'd be careful about trying to give technical advice regarding things with which you are not familiar. 

Heck, I've been an SC4 modder for 10+ years now, and designed a large part of the RHW, and the best I can honestly do at this point is speculate as to probable cause, based on experience.  Until I have a solid understanding of the issue, I wouldn't go around acting as if I have a solution, let alone pin the issue on a particular creator or team on a public forum.  Occasionally, things that to some users may seem like "issues" actually have a legitimate and/or unavoidable reason for existing as well (i.e. a "compromise" of sorts, to avoid an even larger issue), though this particular case certainly appears to be a real issue--albeit one that's hard to pin down right now.

Before anyone can even attempt to fix something like this, one has to be able to replicate the issue and confirm the results, and use the information from that experiment to determine what is causing it.  Only at that point can a solution be attempted.  We're not there yet.

-Alex

ChiefZDN

Quote from: Tarkus on April 18, 2017, 11:48:38 PM
I've actually had a similar issue happen with a couple of my older cities, sometime close to a decade ago.  It's been a very long time, but as I recall, those particular cities had quite a lot of terrain alteration done on them at various points, along with some fairly extensive rebuilds, and there were a couple of spots in them that were rather sensitive if touched.  I think APSMS' explanation is closest to the mark.

Quote from: ChiefZDN on April 18, 2017, 07:06:43 PM

While you may have good intent, I'd be careful about trying to give technical advice regarding things with which you are not familiar. 

Heck, I've been an SC4 modder for 10+ years now, and designed a large part of the RHW, and the best I can honestly do at this point is speculate as to probable cause, based on experience.  Until I have a solid understanding of the issue, I wouldn't go around acting as if I have a solution, let alone pin the issue on a particular creator or team on a public forum.  Occasionally, things that to some users may seem like "issues" actually have a legitimate and/or unavoidable reason for existing as well (i.e. a "compromise" of sorts, to avoid an even larger issue), though this particular case certainly appears to be a real issue--albeit one that's hard to pin down right now.

Before anyone can even attempt to fix something like this, one has to be able to replicate the issue and confirm the results, and use the information from that experiment to determine what is causing it.  Only at that point can a solution be attempted.  We're not there yet.

-Alex

Sorry about that. I made a mistake.  :(