SC4D Homepage
BSC File Exchange
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Urban planning in current events  (Read 11365 times)

Offline noahclem

Re: Urban planning in current events
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2017, 02:58:05 PM »
In hindsight it's clear that American urban freeway building made a lot of mistakes. The videos do an excellent job pointing out the worst of them and I agree with the vast majority of the content. That said, I do love highways and cars, though I haven't driven mine for about 15 months (too expensive to register, insure, and inspect, plus the heater isn't working which is rather important up here). I especially love tunnels as a solution for urban highways though they're often prohibitively expensive. Was really fun seeing the road system in Tromso, Norway, where not only were the thoroughfares almost all underground but much of the parking as well. Elon Musk's "boring company" is also very interesting and presumably his tunnels would save money on ventilation were they to allow only electric cars.

The tide is already turning against vehicle emissions in urban areas and within a couple decades it may be that the idea of biking or walking next to emission-spewing cars seems a lot like eating at a restaurant next to smokers does now. Shared and self-driving cars may drastically reduce the need for parking. I'm about as pro-rail as someone can be (while still liking cars) but I don't see the end of cars in cities anytime soon. Cleaner, safer cars limited to certain areas for through traffic and not taking up half the landscape with parking lots will make things a lot better for drivers and non-drivers alike.

And those giant, disruptive right-of-ways carved out for the highways in urban centers? They may just end up being the cheapest and least disruptive ways to get high speed rail into more city centers. Renewal projects like Boston's can make those corridors into pleasant, greener spaces that would never have appeared without the old highways cutting a gash through the cityscape.

Sim City 4 Devotion Forums

« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2017, 02:58:05 PM »

Offline j-dub

• Everyday I'm just dubbing!
  • H8ting ℛeaLife
    • I blame Discord for sink holes
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2017, 10:01:30 PM »
After that Fast 8 film though, and Charlize Theron hacks all those people's cars, I can see why more folk at least won't buy into this whole auto-park/driverless car thing. Money is wasted on building two bike lane wide paved paths next to pavement, and what do these tight dressed speed cyclists all do? They all go in the road slowing what's supposed to be 45 mph traffic down. Of course I pick a fight with these guys.

« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2017, 10:01:30 PM »

Offline Wiimeiser

« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2017, 05:23:49 AM »
This is interesting, they want to make this interchange into a DDI...
Albana fenekykh, exiy bega yes ni khaloyovh!
Miy gavΩ Ѩ somΩ ndroid∀ for my birdj. en onΩ explodΩd & sƢq wenq everyДerΩ

« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2017, 05:23:49 AM »

If you experience visual glitches in our site, we strongly suggest you to use Firefox to browse the forums. Also a 1024*768 or higher resolution is highly recommended to view this site

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
TinyPortal © 2005-2011
SMFAds for Free Forums

Page created in 0.496 seconds with 49 queries.