• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Released: SAM-7 Asphalt Street Textures (Hableurg) Override

Started by Catalyst, August 07, 2014, 09:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalyst

Hey there, I recently started working on some textures for a BeNeLux/european street with cycle lanes on both sides. It is based on the road that runs right in front of my house and it currently replaces the SAM-7 asphalt textures/uses them where no new texture available.
Before showing you some pictures I would like to thank diggis for uploading the "SAM - Texture Creation Set":    &apls

-> http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1611

After reading the manual many times I finally managed to get the standart straight texture in game:

Once understood the mechanism, it became very easy (but also very time consuming) to add more textures:

As you can see I also modified the alpha's a bit (is there a rule not to change the zoned alpha's ?), it works very well with low density suburban areas and in combination with jeronij's (Thanks for your work btw ;-) "Street Side Mod for SAM" :

->http://www.sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1364

Here the final result of 2 days work (yay, 5 done, about 40 more to go !):

I made the "end" & "T" texture in a way that it ends with a speed bump so that you can match it up with ped malls. While testing it in-game I noticed that the "end" can also be used to create an eye-candy connection to other (sam) networks and the "T" to create a working connection to other (sam) networks:

Thanks for reading!

p.s. Any suggestions for textures(roundabout, intersections with ave, owr, rd, railroad, ecc...) are very welcome !
p.s.s. I would also like to create a T-21 or modify jeronij's one so that we see bicycles on the cycle lanes but that is not going to happen soon as I have never done that before: any links to tuturials are appreciated.
p.s.s.s. Is this the right subforum ?

vortext

Promising start! As a Dutchman myself I like this idea a lot, obviously.  :D

Not too sure about the alpha's though, the four-way intersection looks weird imho. I do like your solution of the end piece, pretty clever!  :thumbsup:

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

FrankU

Yeah great work!  :thumbsup:
Only the rounded corners look not so perfect, but that may be an image issue.... I don't know.

But this is certainly very promising and I will for sure use it when you finish it!

We might end up with too little SAM texture slots.... Is there something that can be done before we run out of options?

Indiana Joe

Nice start!

If you haven't discovered it yet, Memo's smooth curve script for GIMP makes perfect curve textures easy to make.  Check out this thread.

The post describes the manual way, but he created a script (attached at the bottom) that does all the work for you.  Just install and run the script in GIMP, plug in the central and outer curve radius (for normal 90 degree corners, those would be 0.5 and 1.0 respectively), and voila.

Bipin

Catalyst

Hello again, thanks for your comments; Vortex, I modified the alphas again but I can't decide which ones are better, before continuing to make more textures I have to decide between 3 options:

• only outer sidewalks -> basic maxis alphas as delivered by diggis` "SAM - Texture Creation Set",
  • only inner sidewalks -> like those you can see in the following pictures,
  • double sidewalks -> like in the pics from my first post

What do you think is best ?

FrankU & Indiana Joe, I made that corner manually and yeah, it doesn't look great, so instead I tried memo's script, (thanks for the link!):

(4x 90° corners put together)

Bipin, thanks for your comment, today I made one new texture, the "Road 4 way Intersection", and updated the others alpha's:

And last but not least thanks to all silent viewers who, reading through my post, gave me an immaginary :thumbsup:
Here 2 pictures for you to look at, click on them for full size:

There are actually much more than 40 textures to be made  :P, here my progress:

[tabular type=8 caption="9 August 2014: Progress SAM-7 Textures : 6/80"]
[row] [head]Category[/head] [head]Value[/head][/row]
[row] [data]4 way intersections[/data] [data]1/10[/data]  [/row]
[row] [data]Ave Intersections[/data] [data]0/8[/data]  [/row]
[row] [data]Diagonals[/data] [data]0/27[/data]  [/row]
[row] [data]Rail[/data] [data]0/6[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Roundabouts[/data] [data]0/4[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Standards[/data] [data]5/5[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]T intersections[/data] [data]0/12[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Transitions[/data] [data]0/8[/data] [/row]
[/tabular]

Thanks for reading, any suggestions for textures are welcome !

Catalyst

Hey everyone, my last tiny update got kicked out of the recents pretty fast due to some threads being moved around so check that one out as well in case you missed it  ;-)

And now for some progress; since the last time I made the missing 74 textures, constructed a perfect perpetuum mobile and flew to mars. Just kidding I made three (3) new textures, here they are :

roundabout-unconnected/roundabout-street:
Indiana Joe, thanks again for your help!

connecting the streets like this will give you the white triangles facing cars/bikes in RHD-mode,

and connecting the streets to the other half will work for cars/bikes in LHD-mode.

diagonals:

Sorry for being so slow, there's no real excuse, I'm just very lazy haha.
Here one more in-game pic:

And my progress table:

[tabular type=8 caption="24 August 2014: Progress SAM-7 Textures : 9/80"]
[row] [head]Category[/head] [head]Value[/head][/row]
[row] [data]4 way intersections[/data] [data]1/10[/data]  [/row]
[row] [data]Ave Intersections[/data] [data]0/8[/data]  [/row]
[row] [data]Diagonals[/data] [data]1/27[/data]  [/row]
[row] [data]Rail[/data] [data]0/6[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Roundabouts[/data] [data]2/4[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Standards[/data] [data]5/5 [/data][/row]
[row] [data]T intersections[/data] [data]0/12[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Transitions[/data] [data]0/8[/data] [/row]
[/tabular]

next up is the straight to diagonal transition (2pieces), thanks for reading!

p.s. I've also been working on some other stuff,
which I might show you in the next update
because you can't see much with all the
rain

Simcoug

MandelSoft

Ah, I wanted to make bike streets in the past, but you have done this better. It looks great! :thumbsup:
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Swordmaster

These look very familiar to me. Good job, especially on the roundabouts!

Cheers
Willy

noahclem

These look very pretty and it would be great to have more bike lanes. I'm worried about the scale though as the traffic area appears roughly the same width as a single lane or road or rhw. Are you planning to keep the paths the same and have cars driving over the bike lanes?

MandelSoft

These bike lanes are not dedicated. You can use them like this:

So pathing would not really be an issue.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

APSMS

Americans drive in the bike lanes, too! But it's more because we don't like bikers rather than them not having dedicated lanes (which most bike lanes are here).

I noticed on the road intersection, shouldn't the road appear to be continuous (without breaks) and the street have the stop marks? Especially since cars on the Road don't stop when there's a RoadxStreet intersection.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Indiana Joe

Nah, if the city has room, they keep bike lanes separate from driving lanes, some places even put up reflector poles as a border.  But many more people drive in the US than Europe, so they really need to be kept separate.

However bike lanes are less common; they are only in the huge, very progressive cities.

I love the progress Catalyst!   :thumbsup:

-Matt

Wiimeiser

This could probably even be included in the NAM/SAM. I also have a SAM-1 override that looks 1000 times better than the original. Still wanting Tar-Sealed Streets though...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Durfsurn

Slightly sidetracked but, Wiimeiser, in what form are your SAM-1 overrides? Just textures or have you made it into a texture override set?

-Billy

FrankU

Wiimeiser

Quote from: Durfsurn on August 24, 2014, 08:39:25 PM
Slightly sidetracked but, Wiimeiser, in what form are your SAM-1 overrides? Just textures or have you made it into a texture override set?

-Billy

It's actually Magneto's not mine.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

belfastsocrates

Fantastic!! I have been hoping that someone would develop a road/street texture that would include cycle lanes, something becoming more and more common in Europe.

I'm looking forward to see this progress. Great work!
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde