• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

District of Wenzel - Update 116 - 3/17/15

Started by packersfan, June 04, 2010, 12:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swordmaster

Heh, great city going there. I like the industrial areas very much, great to see them well connected to the railway.

I haven't read through all of the MD yet, so maybe someone might have said this before, but why don't you use some FAR / FARR instead of those curvy roads and railroads? Especially the railroads would hurt like this in real.

Skimbo

I haven't commented for too long now: Several cool updates =)
The Dragon Island Cities journal at SC4Devotion

For a Dragon Islands video click here

RickD

I read the first part of your mapping tutorial. So far so good. I am looking forward to the next parts. Those will be the most interesting for me. :)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

packersfan

Hello, long time no see.  Again I was inadvertently banned from the site by using an unapproved VPN which appeared to be Spambot according to the site.  Maybe I should have tried to clear my cookies and cache back then, but I am back, so again my updates have fallen far behind here where I am at Simtropolis.  So I guess I will start the process of updating here again  ;D.  I am having a lot of trouble with VPNs and the Great Firewall of China.  If my updates look funky just let me know because I can't preview them accurately since imageshack (where most of my pictures are stored) is blocked here.  Great to be back to this great Sim City community!

packersfan

Update 36 - Introducing the National Highway System
This is not a full update with SimCity pictures, but it is an alert that I have uploaded and updated a bunch of maps to the District of Wenzel Street Map.  On the map you will see two new highways designated N45 and N20.  These are part of the new National Highway System.  The National Highway System sign is an inverted triangle outlined in dark blue with the highway number in the top section of the sign followed by "WNHS" standing for Wenzel National Highway System and then at the bottom is the district, state, or province designation.  In the case of the District of Wenzel it is "DW".

The new N20 will replace D10 on Highland Avenue (south of the Brittany River), and then continue southwest along Ogden Avenue.  D10 has been shifted to Baltimore Avenue and will continue along that corridor on the south edge of the Brittany River.

The new N45 will come from the north piggybacking with D15 through Jefferson.  At the intersection with D29, N45 will piggyback on D29 (Clement Avenue/Wisconsin Avenue) through Downtown Martin.  Then it will follow D34 southwest to Hawthorne before continuing again following D29's current route south.

North-South National Highway routes will be designated with odd-numbers while East-West routes will be designated with even numbers.

Thanks for checking out the District of Wenzel!  Update 37 - Rutland - is in the works!

RickD

Ah, I was wondering why you didn't post here anymore. I wanted to thank you for the fantastic map making tutorial at Simtropolis. Finally I am able to achieve good looking results.  :thumbsup:
My name is Raphael.

packersfan

Update 37 - Rutland - North Harrison Avenue
Well I said the next update was in the works and here it is!  Welcome to Rutland, the name was around from early on and was not influenced by and did not influence the rundown nature of this area just north of Downtown Martin.  To say the least, the area is in a little bit of a "rut".  As you will see, there are many low income houses and many abandoned lots.  Today we will focus on North Harrison Avenue (er,I mean Road, I mislabeled the title of this update!!!!).  Harrison Road also carries the designation of County Highway H, and it serves as the north-south axis of the cities street and address numbering.  North-south streets to the west of Harrison Road are numbered and those to the east bear names like east-west streets.  East-west streets on the west side of Harrison Road are designated "West ***** Street" and those on the east are "East ***** Street".

Views travelling north on North Harrison Road.

"The Bowl" - the intersection of Orchard Avenue and Harrison Road named after the depression of land at the crossroads - still home to many farms.

"The Bowl" now a busy intersection surrounded by industry and business and a recycling center.

The highlighted area is what we saw today.

Thanks for stopping by.  Next time we will continue touring Rutland along North 8th Street (N45 - formerly D15).  Tell me what you think!  Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.

packersfan

Update 38 - Rutland - North 8th Street and Rutland High
Today we move over a 1/2 mile to North 8th Street (National Highway 45 formerly District Highway 15).  8th Street has serves as a central artery right through the core of Martin and the downtown.  Originally designated District Highway 15, D15's northern terminus is now the intersection of North 8th Street and North Clement Ave (D29).  At this point N45 switches from Clement Avenue to 8th Street.  The District of Wenzel Street Map still has traces of the old designation.

A later day-view of the same intersection in the title picture.  The intersection has been updated with new turn lanes.

Another intersection updated with new turn lanes.

Ulysses Rutland High School named after an early civic leader from the Rutland section of the city.

Do these updates seem a little dull, I hope not.  Next time we will move west along West Orchard Avenue and the area between it and North Clement Avenue.  Tell me what you think!  Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

nbvc

Great updates. You suburbs look always very nice. :thumbsup:

ScottFTL

Dull?  Not at all.  I don't comment nearly enough, but I really enjoy your updates.  You capture the look of a Midwestern city perfectly.

I'm curious what you use to create the back alleys.  It reminds me of Chicago, and I'd love to use them myself.

Great work.  Keep it up!   &apls

packersfan

Replies to Your Comments:
Glad to be back.  I will try to reply to the latest comments.  Sorry if I didn't reply to yours.  Just comment again and put an angry face, haha.

ScottFTL:
Dull?  Not at all.  I don't comment nearly enough, but I really enjoy your updates.  You capture the look of a Midwestern city perfectly.

I'm curious what you use to create the back alleys.  It reminds me of Chicago, and I'd love to use them myself.

Great work.  Keep it up!

Thanks, I really look at Chicago for inspiration (even though I am from Milwaukee, and I do look there to for inspiration).  Hmm, the back alleys.  I will have to dig around......Sometimes I use plain concrete filler, sometimes I use old industrial concrete with grass growing between the tiles, and these residential ones from thegrindre over at Simtropolis.

nbvc:
Great updates. You suburbs look always very nice.

Thanks, just try to look at real life cities.

Girafe:
Nice update,

Neighbourhood is impressive

Thank you.  Hope you enjoy some more.

Update 39 - Rutland - West Orchard and North Clement
Today we'll overview the neighborhood around West Orchard Avenue (District Highway 42) and North Clement Avenue (District Highway 29).  First up is a mosaic starting from Lookout Park on West Vine Street and North 14th Street down to around West Hubbard Street and North 6th Street.

Now a little trip westbound on West Orchard Avenue.  The setting sun glares off the sign for Stan's Bowling Alley on the corner of Orchard and 8th.

A few restaurants, shops, and old workshops line Orchard Avenue.

WTA Metro transfer station between lines 3 (Yellow) and 5 (Orange) at the intersection of Orchard and Clement Avenues.

Industrial development on the northeast side of Clement, but open grass between the avenue and the Martin-Sussex Railroad.

On the southwest side of the railroad are more factories and the Clement Power Station.

Industrial development is sandwiched between the railroad and West Broadway Avenue

Wide shots of the area.  The area is highlighted in the region shot.

I got my hands into the coloring effects in GIMP a little bit on this update as you can see.  Well that about wraps it up for the Rutland area.  I didn't showcase Rutland Park or the Orchard Creek Parkway.  I will save those for a Martin Park System update.  Next update is number 40!!!  Hard to believe.  There is a lot to show.  I have no set plan for the next update, so tell me what you would like to see.  Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.

RickD

My name is Raphael.

packersfan

RickD: I love your suburbs. It is like Google Earth.

Thank you.  One of my keys to building a realistic city.  Look at real cities and try to emulate and recreate things (especially when trying to sprawl out).  After a while it begins to feel like I am just building block after block of houses and maybe not building realistically, so I check google earth, and I find that I am for the most part building a typically mid-western U.S. city.

Update 40 - Henne Park Medical Center
Today we will see the area around North 32nd Street and West Townshend Avenue.  Right on the northeast corner in Henne Park Medical Center.

The area many years ago as farmland.  Townshend and 32nd did not even exist except as property lines.

Peach Park is located on the northwest corner of 34th and Chambers.

Maria Elementary School and Maria Public Library just north of Henne Park Medical Center.

St. Peter's Catholic Parish and School just south of Henne Park.

Well again I got into some more tools in GIMP.  My next update will be around the southern area of Henne Park.  Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.

Swordmaster

I'm very happy to see this MD return!

Quote from: packersfan on March 10, 2012, 03:38:23 AMDo these updates seem a little dull, I hope not.

What?  ()what()

I really like how you name all the stuff and how you've laid out the city. And how you leave open plots in your neighborhoods - that's often a recurring beef I have with many MDs. Moreover, your region view is still one of the more impressive to be seen on this site. So, dull - not quite.  ;)

Cheers,
Willy

packersfan

Swordmaster: I'm very happy to see this MD return!

What? 

I really like how you name all the stuff and how you've laid out the city. And how you leave open plots in your neighborhoods - that's often a recurring beef I have with many MDs. Moreover, your region view is still one of the more impressive to be seen on this site. So, dull - not quite. 

Cheers,
Willy

Thanks a lot.  Sometimes I worry my city is just repetitive and nothing flashy like some other MDs.  As for leaving open plots, yeah, very realistic (though I wish I could do it more in the core and not so much in the "suburbs"), but depending on how big the city gets the current "suburbs" will be "core".  Thanks for the positive comments.

Update 41 - Henne Park: Trinity Boulevard
Today we will tour the area around Broadway Avenue, Orchard Avenue, and Trinity Boulevard.  This area is a pocket of low-density housing between higher density housing and businesses to the east, west, and south.  The area is serviced by Line 5 Orange of the WTAM with a station at the corner of Orchard and Trinity, and the nearby Line 3 Yellow along Clement Avenue and the transfer station at the intersection of Orchard and Clement.  There are also Line 3 Yellow stops at Townshend Avenue and Trinity Boulevard where Clement Avenue intersects.

Broadway Avenue at night.

Broadway Avenue neighborhood.

Now a little drive north on Trinity Boulevard (2400 West), named after the village along its path just west of the City of Jefferson.

Old Henne Park village hall.

Henne Park High School home of the Scorpions and big rivals with Ulysses Rutland High School.

Next time we will move over to the southwest area of Henne Park around North 32nd Street.  Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.

ricardomiranda

You have a large area and does a great job, I'm impressed, congratulations!

RickD

Yes, your MD is not perfect in all the little details. But this is something only a few have achieved. What I love about your MD is the "big picture" approach. The suburbs look extremely realistic from a greater perspective. And I appreciate that everything makes sense and is believable. No strange roads leading nowhere, just for the show.  ;)

I enjoy all your updates very much and, of course, your street map is always impressive to look at.
My name is Raphael.

packersfan

RickD: Yes, your MD is not perfect in all the little details. But this is something only a few have achieved. What I love about your MD is the "big picture" approach. The suburbs look extremely realistic from a greater perspective. And I appreciate that everything makes sense and is believable. No strange roads leading nowhere, just for the show. 

I enjoy all your updates very much and, of course, your street map is always impressive to look at.

Thanks.  I am a perfectionist and wish I could achieve some of the amazing lotting that others have achieved for realism in their cities.  Of course, I don't have enough time or patience to devote to making every lot perfect.  I suppose it is a trade-off.  To build an entire region up, you can focus on making every little detail perfect like if you were just building a perfect downtown for a series of pictures, but nothing else.

For some odd reason I get the feeling the street map is completely unnecessary and my time commitment to it is silly.  I don't understand why I think this sometimes because nearly every comment includes a positive endorsement of the map.

ricardomiranda:
You have a large area and does a great job, I'm impressed, congratulations!

Thank you.  If you have been checking out my street map lately, you will notice that the city is far larger than what the region shots in these updates show (since these are backlogged updates that I wasn't able to post here for a while).  The positive feedback always helps control my PERFECTIONISM, ha.

You will also notice, I am not changing any of the contents of the updates...so today you will see my reaction that I feel I should label more and more buildings, haha.  I don't know what it was.  Maybe I was feeling a little bored with my city journal at that point.

Update 42 - Henne Park - North 32nd Street (Purple Line 6)
The southwest area of Henne Park is more urban and dense around North 32nd Street.  Traveling above the street is the elevated rail line WTAM Purple Line 6.

Police and Fire Stations on 32nd Street between Warnimont Avenue and Brown Street.

I'm a little disappointed with my update here.  I need to really label more buildings especially police and fire houses, but I really didn't plan ahead on that.  As always, finding new things to make the journal better and more realistic.  Hope you enjoyed the more urban area.  No plan for next week's update.  Once again, any suggestions for a place to see, comment and request.  Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.

nbvc

Nice update also great wotk on the last one with the Broadway Avenue. :thumbsup: