• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How do I register to download a mod??? The captcha appears to be broken!

Started by Kris Craig, April 15, 2018, 09:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris Craig

I'm trying to download this mod from your site:

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2882

However, it says I need to login to download.  Fine, so I tried registering, but the captcha won't load.  Instead, it displays the message, "reCAPTCHA V1 IS SHUTDOWN".  I have not been able to find a way around this, nor can I find that mod hosted anywhere else.

I was able to register for this forum using my Google account; unfortunately, those login credentials don't seem to work for file downloads.

If nothing else, could one of you who already has an account please download this mod and post it as an attachment on a reply to this post?  And if the site admins are reading this, please fix this bug!  It's very frustrating to finally find the mod I'm looking for, only to be blocked from downloading it like this.

Thanks!

Tarkus

First off, Kris Craig, welcome to SC4 Devotion! 

I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties registering on the LEX.  We've gotten other reports of this same issue within the past few days.

Unfortunately, the discontinuation of our CAPTCHA system took us by complete surprise, and it creates quite a few complications.  The LEX is a completely custom piece of software, and removing/replacing the CAPTCHA is actually going to require a re-write of that software.  While the size of that re-write is likely not all that large, the issue there is that we have only one staff member who has the ability to undertake the necessary modifications. 

I have left a note in our staff area on the site about the issue. To my knowledge, things are quite busy for the one staff member outside of his role on this site, so unfortunately, we cannot give any sort of timeline at present for when we'll be able to get registration back up and running.

Tarkus
SC4D Admin

Kris Craig

Well I do happen to be a software engineer, myself.  What's this LEX written in?  Perhaps I could take a look.  I can't imagine yanking out the reCaptcha prompt would take all that much work.

In the interim, would it be possible to attach that mod file to this thread so I can download it?  I just need someone with an existing LEX account (assuming people can still login at least) to download it and attach it here so I can grab it.  I'd be happy to take a peek at your codebase if your only dev is currently unavailable.

Tarkus

Thank you for the offer, Kris!  Fortunately, my own experience coupled with having FTP access allowed me to bust in and disable the CAPTCHA on the LEX for the time being.  You should be able to register now--enjoy!

-Alex