• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Someone figured how to open "AB" files!!!

Started by speeder, January 25, 2016, 05:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speeder

So, I was using the wiki to help me find something... and out of curiosity clicked on the short named "AB" file.

The wiki claimed it was audio related to U-drive it, and unknown about how it worked.

Out of curiosity, I pasted it on google, and found this:

http://zenhax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1566

So, AB stands for "Audio Bank", and someone actually figured how to open AB files.

I personally tested, to use the tool, you open SimCity1.dat on the iLive's Reader, select the AB files (they have group 0000000 and the reader confuses them with INI and AE files), then save them.

then you drag and drop the AB files over the .exe of the linked zenhax forum thread, and it will spit out .wav files at you.

I tested several (not all) AB files, and hearing several (not all) .WAVs extracted from there, it appears the tool is completely correct in handling AB files.

Also, the wiki need some updating.

indovote

Quote from: speeder on January 25, 2016, 05:40:38 PM
So, I was using the wiki to help me find something... and out of curiosity clicked on the short named "AB" file.

The wiki claimed it was audio related to U-drive it, and unknown about how it worked.

Out of curiosity, I pasted it on google, and found this:

http://zenhax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1566

So, AB stands for "Audio Bank", and someone actually figured how to open AB files.

I personally tested, to use the tool, you open SimCity1.dat on the iLive's Reader, select the AB files (they have group 0000000 and the reader confuses them with INI and AE files), then save them.

then you drag and drop the AB files over the .exe of the linked zenhax forum thread, and it will spit out .wav files at you.

I tested several (not all) AB files, and hearing several (not all) .WAVs extracted from there, it appears the tool is completely correct in handling AB files.

Also, the wiki need some updating.

For wiki update, I agree the wiki need updates. However, this is maybe need more time, because the wiki currently have closed editing rights (due to the spam & vandalism issues).

Tropod

Not sure if you've got around to noticing (seeing as how you've got issue getting it working  &mmm), SC4Reader does play these AB sounds (& has capacity to export them individually). And it is thanks to guys at zenhax forum. Let me know if you need hand.