• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Trouble placing bridges for my "canal"

Started by noahclem, May 25, 2010, 01:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

After some fairly intense underwater terraforming using the 'ol "setsealevel 0" trick I was ready to get down to business with my new large city tile. Or so I thought. I'm trying to place bridges over this channel I dug but they will only place if I draw them an extra tile past the far shore. This has the effect of making jeronij's beautiful Old Road Bridge look crappy and make my sea walls (I thought sandstone ped malls looked best here) look poor as well as they can't overhang under the bridge. I normally use the BRF_TunnelAndSlopeMod and a file called "BridgeHieghtLow&Suspen" that I can't seem to find the author of at the moment. I've tried removing the "BridgeHieghtLow&Suspen" file, using no mod at all, and substituting several other slope mods for the BRF one, with and without the aforementioned "BridgeHieghtLow&Suspen" file and am still having now luck. If anyone has any words of wisdom they would be greatly appreciated!

The picture below should illustrate my problem--note the bridge has to go an extra tile past the edge of the river to the right-hand side.

sim-al2

The "BridgeHieghtLow&Suspen" is the one that eliminates the requirement for those big ugly slopes that the game normally would try to put when you make a water bridge, so I would keep that. Did you have the same problem with the avenue bridge? I remember having this trouble and the way I fixed was to make the canal wider.
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

kassarc16

I always leave a tile space for a seawall so I don't run into the problem, though it does look slightly odd to have it lopsided.

noahclem

I thought maybe there was something similar to the "BridgeHeightLow&Suspen" already in one of the other slope mods, though that doesn't seem to be the case. This problem seems to occur with all networks, including avenues (you can see the "short end" of an avenue bridge in the top center of my pic). It also seems to occur regardless of bridge length/channel width.

I'd really rather avoid the lopsided bridges if i can. Pretty sure bridges like these actually worked for me once a while ago but inexplicably quit doing so after one time.

Thanks for the replies  :)

choco

try dragging a temporary slice of road on the other side of the canal....it may help in preventing the bridge model from going 'subterranean'.  otherwise, leave in the bridge height mod and only try to drag the bridge from the tiles adjacent to the canal. 

-----------------------------

the lopsided nature of some of these bridges is mainly due to how the models were created.  this is more apparent at shorter lengths, but almost every bridge suffers from this problem at one time or another.....save for any bridges that are controlled by a RUL (rather than the exemplar). 

for instance, say for an arch bridge like jeronij's old road bridge....let s = a starter piece , r = a repeat piece, and p = a pillar piece.
for a length of 7 tiles as you have shown, the bridge (according to the exemplar modding) will be contructed like this -> s-r-p-r-p-r-s

your problem though, is that the bridge is actually 8 tiles in length, and by default, the game just adds an extra repeat piece, like so -> s-r-r-p-r-p-r-s

so they bridge is modded correctly, its just a figment of how the game operates.

sim-al2

Yeah I just realized that I can't work around the problem now. Did you try putting a road on the other bank? And another question, what did you do to the road on the bank that makes look like a wall? It seems like a lot leveling the terrain but I can't seen any lots in the water. ???
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

noahclem

Choco - Thanks for replying so quickly! I've tried placing a temporary road on the other side without success (yet). I have been trying to just drag the bridge from the tiles immediately adjacent to the water, so I'm trying for a 7-tile bridge that shouldn't have the repeat issue. Are you suggesting that I shouldn't have this problem if my bridge is a different length, i.e. ? To clarify, I'm not worried about the middle of the bridge not being symmetrical, it's the points where it meets the shore that are "grinding my gears".

My girlfriend insists I put this in to represent her (lack of) enthusiasm  &hlp

sim-al2 - Again, thanks for your support. Those roads are a fun trick I've been working on for a bit after poking around this site (mostly Ennedi's civil engineering thread for this). It's actually a road with retaining wall like you get sometimes trying to make roads on really steep slopes. To place it next to the water I had to use the "setsealevel 0" cheat, which I believe is part of the Maxis extra cheats download. After that I could edit the river bottom just like regular land and then place the roads like they were on a mountain slope. After that I save the city, exit to region, reload it, and the water comes back with the road w/ retaining wall still there and functioning. The example below, from the same city, uses the same trick, plus some slope mod editing, to take roads diagonally over (slightly deeper) water. Let me know if you'd like more details.